Tower of Druaga

Started by o.pwuaioc, 07/02/2017, 10:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

o.pwuaioc

Guys, I just can't get into this game. I know it's a huge phenomenon in Japan, and I really wanted to love me a new Namcot game, but I don't know, am I just too American for this title? It's not clicking with me. It's a tad...on the boring side, maybe? And this is coming from someone who loves 2600 games.

What can I do to maximize my love for this game?

Arkhan Asylum

You could start by spelling it right.

its dungeon crawling pacman.  You either like it, or you dont.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/02/2017, 10:27 PMYou could start by spelling it right.

its dungeon crawling pacman.  You either like it, or you dont.
D'oh. Tired, drinking typo, but fixed. Though for someone who regularly ignores spelling conventions...

If it were only a dungeon-themed Pac-Man, I think I would like it better, but it's not really that. There's definitely more to it.

I keep reading that there are these strategies and whatnot that help you love the game more than just playing it blind. What am I missing?

Arkhan Asylum

What are you doing while playing it? 
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/02/2017, 10:55 PMWhat are you doing while playing it?
Drinking. Is there anything else to do while gaming?

Edit: I thought I'd post here before doing so, but I think I will look at some guides or whatnot before long, if that's recommended.

Arkhan Asylum

I mean  like, while playing.   lol.

Are you trying to play it like it's Zelda or something?   

It gets more fun as you get to higher floors. 

Digi.k

I love it.  Wished it gotten an official English translation and release.  Maybe slow burn dungeon crawling isn't for you.

blueraven

SuperDeadite

The real point of this game are the secrets.
There is a secret to find on every single floor.
This is why the Japanese love it.
Back when it was new in the arcades, it was a big community type of thing
as players compared notes to figure out how all the secrets worked.
Or competed to see who could find them all first.
Playing by yourself at home just isn't the same.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

esteban

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 07/03/2017, 07:05 AMThe real point of this game are the secrets.
This context explains so much—I am intrigued by how a "solo" vs. "partnered" (it need not be a group) experience changes how a game is experienced.  My brothers/friends and I used to share so much info on some games—but, for other games, we figured out stuff on or own.

Metroid - Completely on my own. Very enjoyable.

Section Z - I don't know why I could never figure a path through this game on my own. I relied on my friend to guide me after my own futile attempts at trial-n-error and mapping. This game frustrated my sad little brain. At least I figured out a path through the maze at the end of Legenday Axe.

DRUAGA: I was perplexed by Tower of Druaga years ago—I just got stuck on some level and couldn't figure out how to proceed. I always wondered if it was me (probably) or some glitch. Anyway, it felt like Super Pitfall (NES) all over again...a massive game that I could only taste a bit of. Just the tip, as it were.

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: blueraven on 07/03/2017, 05:02 AMMy thoughts from 2009, and 2010.

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=6688.msg129662#msg129662

Please read. It's important.
=D>

Quote from: esteban on 07/03/2017, 07:56 AM
Quote from: SuperDeadite on 07/03/2017, 07:05 AMThe real point of this game are the secrets.
This context explains so much—I am intrigued by how a "solo" vs. "partnered" (it need not be a group) experience changes how a game is experienced.  My brothers/friends and I used to share so much info on some games—but, for other games, we figured out stuff on or own.

DRUAGA: I was perplexed by Tower of Druaga years ago—I just got stuck on some level and couldn't figure out how to proceed. I always wondered if it was me (probably) or some glitch. Anyway, it felt like Super Pitfall (NES) all over again...a massive game that I could only taste a bit of. Just the tip, as it were.
This has to be it, too. I love my single-player experience, but even back in the day, single-player games were still shared and discussed among friends. With internet guides, I fear those days are gone for good.

soop

This game is so, so good.  give it a decent chance before you give up on it.  I might play through it again.  It's unlike anything I've played before, it's almost like a roguelike, but structured, with secrets that would put Bubble Bobble to shame.  I needed  a guide to get past a lot of the later levels, but once I started to figure out patterns, it became more and more enjoyable.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: soop on 07/03/2017, 09:03 AMThis game is so, so good.  give it a decent chance before you give up on it.  I might play through it again.  It's unlike anything I've played before, it's almost like a roguelike, but structured, with secrets that would put Bubble Bobble to shame.  I needed  a guide to get past a lot of the later levels, but once I started to figure out patterns, it became more and more enjoyable.
Was it merely trial and error? I've been holding off on guides. I generally don't like using them, but without a bunch of friends all playing it at once, I might have to!

esteban

TANGENT: I have a 3" mini-CD Tower of Druaga soundtrack somewhere...

BACK ON TOPIC: The folks who have suggested to "give Druaga another chance" have convinced me to add it back on the "next batch of games to play" list.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 07/03/2017, 09:21 AM
Quote from: soop on 07/03/2017, 09:03 AMThis game is so, so good.  give it a decent chance before you give up on it.  I might play through it again.  It's unlike anything I've played before, it's almost like a roguelike, but structured, with secrets that would put Bubble Bobble to shame.  I needed  a guide to get past a lot of the later levels, but once I started to figure out patterns, it became more and more enjoyable.
Was it merely trial and error? I've been holding off on guides. I generally don't like using them, but without a bunch of friends all playing it at once, I might have to!
Yes, it's basically trial and error.   

A more structured roguelike is a good way to describe the game.   I think that is what puts people off immediately, is that the game is kind of slow/strange.   You're a guy with a sword, but you move kind of slow and methodically  since you are stuck in a maze, and you cant just hamfist the button and spam attacking like a hillbilly.

did you at least discover you can break through walls?   

that might be your first step towards liking the game more.   

EmperorIng

I assume you are playing a translated rom, because it gives you the clues necessary to get the equipment that allows you to beat the game. If not, then I don't really see how you can figure out the secrets needed to beat the game other than pure trial-and-error, or a guide.

That the PCE version allows you to up your speed stats, or health, almost instantly, it is extremely more user-friendly than the arcade original, which I have never been able to get further than floors 15-18 (out of 60!). It is probably one of my favorite PCE games (at least translated!).

Getting a feel for the game can be a little tricky. You don't just hit the attack button like zelda; you need to press and hold the button to attack monsters. You need to rush back and forth with the attack button held against armored enemies to win the jousting match with them and not die. You need to be aware of which direction your shield is facing so you can deal with wizards - with sword down, it's right in front of you, but when your sword is held your left or right can be exposed depending on where you face. All of this is pretty involved for a mid-80s release. To say nothing of intelligently using the pickax to break down walls, discovering the right equipment.

I can't reiterate how important it is to find out nearly all of the secrets (some are red herrings or traps - usually the clues in the PCE port will give you a hint to not pick something up in a particular floor, IIRC). They are your ticket to the top.

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: EmperorIng on 07/03/2017, 01:34 PMI assume you are playing a translated rom, because it gives you the clues necessary to get the equipment that allows you to beat the game. If not, then I don't really see how you can figure out the secrets needed to beat the game other than pure trial-and-error, or a guide.
Nope, I'm playing the PCE version in Japanese and no, I do not know Japanese. I guess a guide is a must now...

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, hence the trial/error bit.

I think the combat mechanic part is probably the thing to most familiarize yourself with.

It really is kind of weird.   The first times I played the game, I thought "what the hell is even going on"

o.pwuaioc

With all the above information, like esteban, I'll give this another go this week. I'm not usually one to keep a game based on hype alone, but I knew I was just missing something. Thanks Arkhan and everyone else.

Arkhan Asylum

If you hate it, you could try the PS2 one in English

It adds enough "stuff" that it might entertain you more.

esteban

Quote from: guest on 07/03/2017, 02:14 PM
Quote from: EmperorIng on 07/03/2017, 01:34 PMI assume you are playing a translated rom, because it gives you the clues necessary to get the equipment that allows you to beat the game. If not, then I don't really see how you can figure out the secrets needed to beat the game other than pure trial-and-error, or a guide.
Nope, I'm playing the PCE version in Japanese and no, I do not know Japanese. I guess a guide is a must now...
Same here. I play the PCE Huey.

And yes, it was very perplexing, as I said.

Now I don't feel so bad.

:)

If I can figure out how to get my EverDrive to work, I might prefer to play the translated ROM.

Arkhan Asylum

This reminds me of something.

Legacy of the Wizard.

In the pre-LookItUpOnline days, we all basically flailed around playing that game and talked about it at school to get further.

It sucks those days are gone because of all the insta-result walk thrus of stuff.

I can imagine talking about the secret shit in Druaga was probably a fun time.