10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Do you play your games? Are you afraid of insertion marks?

Started by Green Beret, 08/07/2017, 01:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gypsy

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/09/2017, 06:32 PMGiant Robo (1992) was and will always be Retro. Giant Robo (1967) is just old.
Correct.

I really liked Giant Robo (1992).

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Gypsy on 08/09/2017, 12:43 PM
Quote from: Psycho Punch on 08/09/2017, 10:55 AMLanguage change is variation over time in a language's phonological, morphological, semantic, syntactic, and other features. It is studied by historical linguistics and evolutionary linguistics. Some commentators use the label corruption to suggest that language change constitutes a degradation in the quality of a language, especially when the change originates from human error or prescriptively discouraged usage.[1] Descriptive linguistics typically does not support this concept, since from a scientific point of view such changes are neither good nor bad.
So, if enough people shriek retro the definition changes? While true, meh.
To be quite honest this whole misuse of the retro word started with your usual hipster caricatures calling both faux old AND old stuff "retro". The spillover into video gayme circles was recent.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 08/09/2017, 09:26 PMTo be quite honest this whole misuse of the retro word started with your usual hipster caricatures calling both faux old AND old stuff "retro". The spillover into video gayme circles was recent.
Neither is new. It depends on your interpretation of recent. Retro in terms of gaming has been around since at least the early to mid 2000's and sources claim it's from the late 90's.  and the term hipster for the counter culture started in the 90's.  It is probably coincidental that both grew in popularity during the same time period, but both have influenced the other.   
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

xcrement5x

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 08/08/2017, 11:01 PM"Hi, Bob! Welcome to NEC!"
"Hi Jim! I'm glad to be at NEC making this Retro game system with everyone else. I really hope we can get it as Retro as possible before the 1987 release date."
"Don't worry, Bob! This shit'll be maximum Retro. We're filling it to the rafters with Retro touches and Retro capability."
"Retro!"
"Retro!"
I feel like this could be a South Park skit.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

ChuChu Flamingo

retro junkie

cr8zykuban0

Definitely play my games. May not have the time to play em all but i do. Especially the aes games. So many insertion marks on em. They definitely get played and abused a lot ;)

esteban

Quote from: Green Beret on 08/08/2017, 12:04 PM
Quote from: Lost Monkey on 08/08/2017, 11:59 AM
Quote from: Green Beret on 08/08/2017, 11:41 AM...Artwork printed on plastic on Hucards is shiny and colorful. It is the highest quality artwork on a video game cart and better than all retro console game carts....
I never really thought about this, but it is definitely true and a huge part of what makes HuCards attractive. The artwork printed right on the card is unique to PCE/TG16 AFAIK...
Yes it is unique in my knowledge. Those cards look awesome. It would be interesting if somebody has info how much costed to Nec to do this! I mean if it actually costed more than the stickers of the combetition.

I think second higher quality after PCE/TG16 was the stickers of the first Game Boy
Hell yes!

First, I agree with nopepper: the HuCARD inserted into console/GT/TurboExpress = a brilliant, gorgeous aesthetic that NEARLY ALL OTHER consoles of olde failed to achieve (I have argued that, usually, carts looked like ugly, STOOPID warts growing from the hardware).

Second, to address art-directly-on-media: I have thought about this often (printing directly on HuCARD) and, as folks have suggested, it might be rather unique to the BeeCARD media:

(1) I have an MSX Star Soldier (printed directly on it)

(2) Sega Cards (I only have NA...so nothing too exciting to see)....

(3) Did old Odyssey have printing on carts? I am pretty sure there are some Atari or Coleco games with text printed on cart...but, maybe my memories from youth are wrong? Like....SEARS version of VCS/2600 had simple text printed on cart?

(4) I have to take a photo now... but I think I traded away 99% of my Atari stuff a few years ago.

(5) I wrote about it here: https://archives.tg-16.com/EGM_1989_07.htm#HuCARD_Evolution

(That article has some images that show how NA HuCARDs evolved over time...)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

esteban

UPDATE: I might still have some Atari stuff, but I didn't look. I just snapped this (Sega card has a label/sticker):

IMG

In the photo below, I was trying to show that the thickness of the MSX and Sega cards are slightly thinner than HuCARD, but the shadows defeat the purpose (ha!).

IMG

Medic_wheat

Shot shot shot shot shot everybody.

This has the potential to be taken out of context.

ClodBusted

Damon Plus

I just used som post it notes below the cards. No more scratches.

esteban

TelcoSurveyor

I didn't know insertion marks were a thing until I heard about NeoGeo collecting. I'll just keep playing my games and let the family sort out the drop in value when I'm dead.
I'm the Wind, Baby!

Arkhan Asylum

usually when I get insertion marks it means more foreplay was required.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NoSexGex

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/16/2017, 02:44 PMusually when I get insertion marks it means more foreplay was required.
I think we all need to have a serious conversation with our machines
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NoSexGex on 08/16/2017, 03:00 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/16/2017, 02:44 PMusually when I get insertion marks it means more foreplay was required.
She only talks to me.  back the fuck off.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NoSexGex

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 08/16/2017, 03:01 PM
Quote from: NoSexGex on 08/16/2017, 03:00 PM
She only talks to me.  back the fuck off.
She told me she got those marks on her neck from paintball

IMG
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"

Arkhan Asylum

lolol remember officer doofy in scary movie

DONT COME IN WHEN IM CLEANING MY ROOM.

NoSexGex

It's because of that movie that I now properly use my vacuum

nopepper

Quote from: guest on 08/16/2017, 02:44 PMusually when I get insertion marks it means more foreplay was required.
In my dream world, showing her Esteban's hucard beecard smscard bourbon pics is the only foreplay required.

LostFlunky

There are some Atari carts with raised lettering indicating publisher but none that printed the game art directly on the cart.

esteban

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 08/19/2017, 09:29 AMThere are some Atari carts with raised lettering indicating publisher but none that printed the game art directly on the cart.
I'm thinking of the Sears-branded teleplay stuff...I thought I had some plain carts with just text that *might* have been printed on the cart itself....but now that I think of it....hmmm...I gotta go look and see if I still have any 2600 carts.