The Analogue Turbo Duo clone shipped in time for Christmas 2023. Are you happy with yours ?? Find firmware updates here.
Main Menu

Best 80s Comedies

Started by o.pwuaioc, 09/12/2017, 10:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

o.pwuaioc

Discuss.

On a side note, should I watch Police Academy 2, 3, etc?

Dicer

Movies and Shows I assume....

Shows:
Perfect Strangers
Three's Company (Started in 70's but ran till mid 80's)
Night court

Moves:
Ghostbusters (duh)
Revenge of the nerds
Who Framed Roger Rabbit

And may many MANY more, but I don't wanna hog up the conversation

Also

Show I loved and tried to go back to and barfed: ALF, ALF did NOT hold up.

BigusSchmuck

Mystery Science Theater 3000? :P

nopepper

Three Amigos

It contains a plethora of laughs.

DeshDildo

Planes, Trains and Automobiles is still a personal favorite of mine.
"You CAN'T prove Nulltard/DoxPhile caused ANY harm/damage/sabotage to PCEFX!! You have NO evidence he poached ANY members for his own failed PC Engine forum/site or was a conniving destructive saboteur! ZERO, ZIP, NADA!!! Nulltard did nothing wrong!"

nopepper

Quote from: Desh on 09/12/2017, 11:28 PMPlanes, Trains and Automobiles is still a personal favorite of mine.
Why does seemingly everyone list this one in their favs?

I think it's a good, sweet movie, but one of the best comedies of the 80s?!? Is it really THAT funny? I would argue Princess Bride, which is in that same category, is funnier than this one, and I still wouldn't label it as a full blown comedy.

Maybe I just have a more strict definition of what a "comedy" is...

sirhcman

Caddyshack. You can close the thread now :-p

TR0N

Space Balls
Stripes
Back to School
Naked Gun
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

crazydean

Quote from: guest on 09/13/2017, 12:14 AMCaddyshack. You can close the thread now :-p
I've seen this movie several times and still don't see its appeal. It's a good movie, but I don't think it deserves the praise it gets.

Fast times at ridgemont high
Married with Children
Coming to America
Trading Places
This is Spinal Tap
National Lampoons Vacation

esteban

Three O'Clock High
Return of the Living Dead
Night of the Comet
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

MisterCrash

I kind of liked the teen comedies of the time. My favorites include:

Sixteen Candles
Weird Science
License to Drive
Fletch (the original, not Fletch Lives)

I had watched the last two movies so much that I had them memorized.

As for TV, one show I like from the late '80s/early '90s is Charles in Charge. Very simplistic, but enjoyable. I like shows where I don't have to think too much.

Edit: oh, man, I can't believe I left out Weekend at Bernie's. Oddly enough, that movie is my 4-year-old niece's favorite film.

LostFlunky

TV:

Police Squad
Cheers

Film:

After Hours
Evil Dead II
Top Secret!
Better off Dead
A Fish Called Wanda  (I saw this 3 times at the theater)
Raising Arizona

NecroPhile

TV:

Moonlighting
Night Court
Married with Children
Red Dwarf
Black Adder
Newhart

Movies:

Ghostbusters
Airplane
Spies Like Us
Coming to America
Space Balls
Beverly Hills Cop
Vacation
Naked Gun
Revenge of the Nerds
Fletch
Three Amigos
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: MisterCrash on 09/13/2017, 07:36 AMI kind of liked the teen comedies of the time. My favorites include:

Sixteen Candles
Weird Science
License to Drive
Fletch (the original, not Fletch Lives)

I had watched the last two movies so much that I had them memorized.

As for TV, one show I like from the late '80s/early '90s is Charles in Charge. Very simplistic, but enjoyable. I like shows where I don't have to think too much.

Edit: oh, man, I can't believe I left out Weekend at Bernie's. Oddly enough, that movie is my 4-year-old niece's favorite film.
I haven't watched Weird Science in a long time, but I loved that damn film. Even the Oingo Boingo song for the film is great. :)

Nicole Eggert (sp?) helped make Charles in Charge even better :). And....Willie Ames? Is that his name? Buddy? I haven't watched this show since late80's and I remember totally random crap.

I love all the movies you listed.

The original Fletch...the pacing, the mood, the atmosphere...it's just works. My 13 year old is a harsher critic and gave it an "average" rating.

License to Drive is just friggin' fun. I rewatched it with my daughter and she was surprised how enjoyable it was (she said it was "better than average").

REAL GENIUS: it's not a perfect film, by any means, but enough of it is totally enjoyable to make it work.

SHORT CIRCUIT: I know it's offensive (casting choices....Plus, Gutenberg is usually so lame, but he is OK in this film), but I think it's a great movie.

MisterCrash

Real Genius was really good. The one hang-up I have with it is the scene where Val Kilmer is slicing a solid rod with a saw, and the other "genius" asks, "Is that liquid nitrogen?" I would have thought that two geniuses at one of the top tech colleges in the world would know the difference between a solid and a liquid.

Digi.k

Also..

Adventures in Babysitting
All of me
The man with two brains
The Goonies
Beetlejuice
Uncle Buck

TV...........

hmmmm....

sirhcman

Quote from: crazydean on 09/13/2017, 03:48 AM
Quote from: guest on 09/13/2017, 12:14 AMCaddyshack. You can close the thread now :-p
I've seen this movie several times and still don't see its appeal. It's a good movie, but I don't think it deserves the praise it gets.
I have seen this movie countless times and it never gets old to me. Different strokes

majors

Quote from: Digi.k on 09/13/2017, 09:07 PMUncle Buck
I second! This is a goto flick for me and a high school buddy when we want a trip down nostalgia lane. Never watch it with us because all we do is cite the dialog all the way through (after a few beers or course).
TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

LostFlunky

TelcoSurveyor

Quote from: Lost Monkey on 09/14/2017, 12:24 PMStrange Brew
Haven't seen this in quite a while, might be time to pop this one in and have a cold Elsinore.
I'm the Wind, Baby!

jtucci31

DragonmasterDan

--DragonmasterDan

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: guest on 09/14/2017, 02:18 PM
Quote from: guest on 09/14/2017, 09:11 AMDifferent strokes
I get it.
Love how that pun works on three different levels, too.

jtucci31

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 09/14/2017, 02:52 PMThe Blues Brothers
The tall one wants white bread, toasted, dry with nothing on it. And the other one wants four whole fried chickens and a coke.

sirhcman

Winniez

Only Fools and Horses and Yes Minister. Can't really recall any genuinly funny US sitcoms from the 80s, Cheers is a nice series with a lot of charm but I don't think it is all that funny.

esteban

You Can't Do That on Television (couldn't resist...I know it might not get many votes).

Quote from: Winniez on 09/14/2017, 05:06 PMOnly Fools and Horses and Yes Minister. Can't really recall any genuinly funny US sitcoms from the 80s, Cheers is a nice series with a lot of charm but I don't think it is all that funny.
I watched Only Fools and Horses a decade+ ago (it was never aired on public television in the States, as far as I know).

It was certainly fun/enjoyable.

Yes Minister did air on PBS in the 80's and of course I watched it with my nana, who also watched Waiting to Die (Waiting for God), Are You Being Served, Keeping Up Appearances, Good Neighbors, etc. etc.

There was some goofy comedy about two grocery clerks in a small English town (one dude delivered stuff on a bicycle)...but I forget the name. I liked that as a kid, but I shudder to think about it now.

BACK:

Golden Girls = funny. Naysayers can go back to sleep.

:)

Winniez

I think the show you descrieb is Open All Hours :)

Digi.k

not forgetting

Young Ones
Girls on Top

esteban

Quote from: Winniez on 09/14/2017, 10:53 PMI think the show you descrieb is Open All Hours :)
Ha! That sounds like the title. I'll googlize it...

Yup, I can see from the title screen alone that that is definitely the show.

TR0N

This it did start in the late 80's  :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

o.pwuaioc

Quote from: Winniez on 09/14/2017, 05:06 PMOnly Fools and Horses and Yes Minister. Can't really recall any genuinly funny US sitcoms from the 80s, Cheers is a nice series with a lot of charm but I don't think it is all that funny.
It's funny, but not the funniest. I actually rewatched Season 1 on Netflix not too long ago, and I quite did not like the end/beginning of season 2. I'll trudge through eventually to get to some of the better later seasons, but it was a chore to finish S1.

NecroPhile

Quote from: TR0N on 09/15/2017, 02:34 AMThis it did start in the late 80's  :wink: :mrgreen: :lol:
And the latest season is set to begin airing next month.  :dance:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

majors

TG/PCE Collection.
"Booze should be a choice, not a privilege" -KCDC (The FP)

esteban

Quote from: majors on 09/19/2017, 10:35 AMSledgehammer!
Want that on USA Network in the 80's? I remember watching it at my grandma's, and I also remember looking forward to Gilbert Godfried hosting a Friday/Saturday night movie.

Damn.