OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Favorite Namco PCE game?

Started by PukeSter, 10/14/2017, 10:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michirin9801

I don't think I should have to explain why I have an opinion in order to have and express it, but since you demand it...
Other than having occasional detuned reverb and triangle toms, which a lot of other non-Capcom games also do on the NES, what does NES Capcom music do to stand-out? It's really well-composed, sure, but it does nothing else, their instruments are just straight pulses, they don't really do any interesting effects, no vibrato/tremolo, no changing the duty-cycle or octave mid-instrument, no samples, barely any volume manipulation, no splitting percussion duties between the noise and triangle or pulse channels (other than the aforementioned Toms, which don't even have noise backup, and I personally think are a little too high-pitched) as spenoza said:
Quote from: guest on 10/27/2017, 01:39 PMCapcom always focused solely on composition and did very little custom programming and manipulation with the NES sound hardware.
They basically rely entirely on composition to make their music interesting, and the compositions are often good! But the instrumentation isn't at all interesting to me... Is it lazy? Perhaps that was a little harsh, but I still think that most of the best-sounding NES games aren't from Capcom, and that's because they took better advantage of what the system can do... They can have put god-only-knows how much effort into making their instruments sound the way they do, but what came out of it still doesn't match up to what some other NES games managed to pull off...

And it's not like you need samples to make NES music sound good (although that helps a lot) just listen to what Tim Follin did, and I'm not talking about the arps, I'm talking about how he managed to make really great-sounding percussion by splitting its duty between the Noise and the Triangle, and he also often backed the triangle up with a pulse in order to give it even more punch and bass!

Need examples? Sure!
First off, some Sample-tastic Sunsoft Tunes:
^You can't get much better than this on the NES! (Without using extra-soundchips at least)

But you can get close:
And that's just the tip of the iceberg...

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/30/2017, 03:19 AM
Quote from: MichirinAlso, neither Final Fight 1 nor 2 have bad soundtracks, I never said that,
Quote from: MichirinOther than the first two Final Fight games their SNES soundtracks are all amazing!
:roll:   Nice one, dummy.
Tell me, where is there an instance of me clearly stating: "Final Fight 1 and 2 have bad soundtracks" or something like that?
Barring them from "amazing" and saying "They're bad" is not the same thing, dummy...
They serve their in-game purpose well, but unlike FF3, MMX, MM7, SF2 and Demon's Crest, among others, they're not something I'd go out of my way to listen to outside of the game...

Also, "Yes, your opinion can be wrong, because this article by a person with an opinion said so"
You wanna discuss music taste? Everything is subjective, but of all the subjective things nothing is more so than music taste, you can ask somebody "Why do you like Pop music?" they may not be able to pin-point why, but just telling them that it's s*** and showing them some metal bollocks and telling them: "You should be listening to this! THIS is real good music, the music you like sucks because blahblahblah, and this music is good because blahblahblah" that's not gonna change their mind, that's only gonna make them want to dislike whatever you're showing them, and make them like the music they already like even more, even though you still think it's s***...

And guess what? They're not "wrong" for liking it, they'll never be, and their opinions don't "suck" because they're different from yours, or from a pre-established consensus, anyone can like whatever they want, and that's their own business, and if they can't explain why, SO WHAT? Why should they have to?

ClodBusted

I like Capcom's NES music, and dislike most of its SNES music, with only Street Fighter II (doesn't matter if World Warrior, Turbo or Super) being the exception of the rule.

And since 99% of the world population agrees on that, it is accepted as a fact and I don't need any further proof.

This is what this thread tells me.

Regarding Namco games on the PCE, I'm not really sold on any of them. Since I like the original Galaga a lot, I think Galaga '88 is my choice in the poll.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Michirin9801 on 10/30/2017, 04:32 AMIs it lazy? Perhaps that was a little harsh,
It wasn't harsh.  It was ignorant. 

QuoteTell me, where is there an instance of me clearly stating: "Final Fight 1 and 2 have bad soundtracks" or something like that?
Barring them from "amazing" and saying "They're bad" is not the same thing, dummy...
The implications from the way you worded it are pretty clear if we use context clues from the rest of your adverb laden "my favoritist thing ever" posting style.   This again, is why I've repeatedly told you to try articulating a point instead of half-assedly saying shit and falling back on "huuuuu, its opinions" whenever it doesn't go well for you.   

Usually when anyone says "aside from X, this is great!", it means X wasn't great, and was bad.   

When a waiter asks how your dinner is and you go "it's great, except for the potatoes"... it usually results in you having to explain what's wrong with the potatoes, so they can fix it.

You ever see Summer School?   Dude's glasses break and he's upset.   He could just sit there and go MAN I HATE THEM.    Instead, the teacher tells him to write a well articulated letter about wtf is up.

He gets a bunch of free stuff.   All because he bothered to explain something.    It's a good life skill.

QuoteAlso, "Yes, your opinion can be wrong, because this article by a person with an opinion said so"
You are extremely intellectually lazy if you just use "opinion" as your defense mechanism for everything that opposes you.

You missed the point of why I posted the article, and the point of the article itself, apparently.  I can't fix that.  That's up to you to figure out.    :dance:

QuoteYou wanna discuss music taste? Everything is subjective, but of all the subjective things nothing is more so than music taste, you can ask somebody "Why do you like Pop music?" they may not be able to pin-point why, but just telling them that it's shit and showing them some metal bollocks and telling them: "You should be listening to this! THIS is real good music, the music you like sucks because blahblahblah, and this music is good because blahblahblah" that's not gonna change their mind, that's only gonna make them want to dislike whatever you're showing them, and make them like the music they already like even more, even though you still think it's shit...
Well, that's not really what I've done here, and as I said, you missed the point. 

Besides, you ever see those interviews at concerts where the interviewer is like "so why do you like X" , and they interview that burnout dude that's like "cause maaan, I just yeah I like em maaan", or the fangirl that's like "OMG OMG I LOVE THEM BECAUSE OMG YEAH I DO WOOOO" and the rest of the people in the line are staring at them cringing?

That's what you do basically, lol.   

QuoteAnd guess what? They're not "wrong" for liking it, they'll never be, and their opinions don't "suck" because they're different from yours, or from a pre-established consensus, anyone can like whatever they want, and that's their own business, and if they can't explain why, SO WHAT? Why should they have to?
Because this is a discussion. .

It's much more interesting if you provide explanations/reasons for your amped up favorites, so people can talk more.  You may find out new crap, or get a new perspective, or something.   

You just don't like that you're not able to just spew your chock-full-of-adverb limply backed opinions without someone going "uh can you elaborate, or something?".

It's lazy. 

The only thing I said you were wrong about is your doofy criticism of Capcom on NES (and your dopey Final Fight thing).   

The rest, you're not wrong, I just disagree really heavily, and provided these crazy things called examples to explain why.   It's a great time.

PS: There isn't a swear jar on PCEFX.    You look like an idiot when you bleep out swear words.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

MobiusStripTech

Everyone knows that the best Namco soundtracks were Dig Dug and Pac-Man. Why even question it? The samples in those are so epic!

I will be honest and say I don't get hating or "disliking" a game because you don't like the music. Turn the sound off? I love to play Megaman, but if the sound bothered be I could just not listen to it.

Also comparing the sound of an NES to an SNES is kind of silly. You are basically comparing apples to oranges. Sure they are both round and a fruit. So they are the same equivalent right?? The audio and video capabilities from one console to another crossing generations isn't really a great way to make a case for an argument. Honestly a better argument would be why Sega did such a bang up job screwing up the drivers for the same sound chip within a single generation.

Also I like Tacos.

spenoza

OK, first, let's get some perspective, here. We're talking about video game music in a way which is tied up in personal opinions related to enjoyment. I think Michirin is getting tangled up in something that tangles me up from time to time, which is trying to explain preferences. I'll use an example...

I don't like Seinfeld, the TV show. It's legendary and well-regarded, but I don't like it. One thing I don't say is that it's no good or that it sucks. But in trying to figure out why I don't like it, I've tried on a few explanations, stuff like, "the characters are all assholes." But in most comedy shows the characters are assholes, or at least acting like them, and the Seinfeld asshole-ness didn't get really asshole-y until a couple years in. I've tried for years to figure out WHY I don't like Seinfeld or Larry David's other comedic TV projects, but I can't tease it out. His characters are unlovable and unrelatable to me. The situations they find themselves in constantly make me uncomfortable and make me want to weasel out of my skin instead of laugh. But I can't explain it, and I've given up trying. At least in this particular case, I just don't like it.

On the other hand, Arkhan, if you're trying to get more info out of Michirin as to WHY she has the opinions she does, beating her over the head is not going to do it. That's not friendly engagement. That's aggression. Being "right" doesn't excuse it. An opportunity to explore why we like what we like is wasted because now everyone's defensive and ready to punch.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 10/30/2017, 04:01 PMOn the other hand, Arkhan, if you're trying to get more info out of Michirin as to WHY she has the opinions she does, beating her over the head is not going to do it. That's not friendly engagement. That's aggression. Being "right" doesn't excuse it. An opportunity to explore why we like what we like is wasted because now everyone's defensive and ready to punch.
*shrug*,  the info came out.  I don't really think the first post was so bad, and received a defensive  self righteous reply.   It's not really out of line with the tone other people use, including michirin.

Besides, If I didn't ask, nobody else sure as fuck was going to bother.    There'd just be people scrolling by going yepyepyep opinions yepbrblrbrlrbyep because this forum has practically devolved into a circle jerk where nothing cool gets talked about anymore most of the time.

I find the whole falling back on "oh it's opinions" to justify a stance thing to be incredibly lazy if you can't even be fucked to explain anything about your opinion. 

At that point it's like you just like hearing yourself blabber about your surface level likes/dislikes, and don't want to go any further. 

There's basically no point in talking if it's going to be "Everyones entitled to an opinion, thats your opinion, lets agree to disagree, etc." with some crap in between from people about what they like.

and, if you don't want to argue/debate something beyond stating your weakly backed opinions and dismissals of people who are at least adding substance to their statements, just ignore my post and go back to doing whatever it is you were doing before I spoke up.   

Replying (especially with a "well at least *I* won't be doing that!" tone) implies you want to dance.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

spenoza

Also, I have an opinion. While I like Capcom's compositions, I really don't like their instrument sets on the SNES. I hate that electric guitar from the X series and Final Fight (that tons of folks just love to death). Done in FM synth in the arcade with some nice accompanying sampling, stuff like Final Fight, UN Squadron, and Street Fighter 2 sounds really good. On the SNES is sounds shrill, whiny, and cheap to me. Well, except Street Fighter 2. I think that SNES rendition was pretty good. And oddly, I like the UN Squadron SNES soundtrack despite the poor instrument selection. But in most cases, I'd just rather not listen to a Capcom SNES soundtrack. I suspect that they're using kind of a generic sample bank, but I could be wrong. Mostly I just don't like the sound of it. But the composition quality is fine.

As for the NES, though, seriously, give this episode a listen.  Capcom's early sound engines were pretty plain, and Mega Man even appears to have some errors or mistakes in the audio department. But their composition quality carried them through their early sound engines, and by the end of their NES development days their audio engine was decently capable.

Arkhan Asylum

I appreciate the attempt at guitar in MMX, but it kind of sucks.

Also, that synthbass seems to be slightly out of tune and doofy.   I once grabbed a sound font and tried using it only to find it's pitch seemed off compared to anything else I put with it.   Even when using only the sounds from the soundfont.   

Fortunately, it's a really stupidly easy sound to recreate with basically any analog synth that isn't a piece of shit.

I think without that bass sound, the street fighter soundtrack wouldn't have been as good as it was.

You end up with this:
Instead of:
Seriously, how the fuck did that even happen lol.

spenoza

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/30/2017, 04:10 PMBesides, If I didn't ask, nobody else sure as fuck was going to bother.    There'd just be people scrolling by going yepyepyep opinions yepbrblrbrlrbyep because this forum has practically devolved into a circle jerk where nothing cool gets talked about anymore most of the time.
I agree with your frustration on this point. I get it. But getting up in people's faces to force them out backfires as often as it works. I guess I'm just not sure it actually furthers the discussion any more than it just starts a fight.

You've met me, you know how I am. I'm not just trying to piss in your Cheerios. I think you're smart and interesting and fun to talk to. And sometimes a jerk on the internet. It happens.

spenoza

Oh, uhhhh... Namco. I brought this up on another forum recently. How the fuck did Namco release HuCard titles all the way up to mid-1992 and not do a single CD game? What the Farnsworth, Namco? Seriously. I kinda wonder why they were so disinterested in the format. I notice they didn't have massive output on the SNES. Probably still stinging from losing preferred partner status from the NES days.

Arkhan Asylum

I'm a jerk in person too, depending on the situation, lol.

like I said, seemed like an OK post.  Got met with self righteous fallbackoneveryonehasanopinionleavemealone reply, hit the "fuckyeahaaaa" button.

It happens.

spenoza

Michirin, I also like you, too. I don't always agree with your musical sensibilities, but you've inspired Elmer to do Huzak and he's ALMOST(?) done with it.

In fact, I like most of the folks on here, despite disagreeing with almost everyone.

Also, Namco, WTF?

Arkhan Asylum

fuck that.  hate everyoneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

JOIN THE DARKSIDEEEEEEEEEE

we have MSX and cake.

lol

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 10/30/2017, 04:50 PMMichirin, I also like you, too. I don't always agree with your musical sensibilities, but you've inspired Elmer to do Huzak and he's ALMOST(?) done with it.

In fact, I like most of the folks on here, despite disagreeing with almost everyone.

Also, Namco, WTF?
I never disagree with you.  :)
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: turboswimbz on 10/30/2017, 04:57 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/30/2017, 04:50 PMMichirin, I also like you, too. I don't always agree with your musical sensibilities, but you've inspired Elmer to do Huzak and he's ALMOST(?) done with it.

Also, Namco, WTF?
I never disagree with you.  :)
HE SAID, WHILE DISAGREEING WITH HIM.

blueraven

I've only played like 4 of the games on this list. so voting on them would be kind of ridiculous. If you send me the Hucards I will play them.

To sum up this thread: I LIKE CATS YOU LIKE DOGS TIM FOLLINFOLLINFOLLIN OPINIONS

NecroPhile

MSX is for short bus fucktards.

To back up my opinion, I offer Ark as proof.  :twisted:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

blueraven

I don't have an MSX, but I heard the MSX2 is pretty cool.  And people still make games for it right?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: blueraven on 10/30/2017, 05:04 PMI don't have an MSX, but I heard the MSX2 is pretty cool.  And people still make games for it right?
yeah theres things on it.

hell that motherbitch with the Develo is how some PCE stuff happened.

LIKE CHEPTUNES.

holyshit we came full circle.

MobiusStripTech

Arkhan! Please make the Cock Goblin game from CodeMonkeys. Must use Namco music. Preferably from MegaMan X!

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: MobiusStripTech on 10/30/2017, 06:55 PMArkhan! Please make the Cock Goblin game from CodeMonkeys. Must use Namco music. Preferably from MegaMan X!
I'm on it.

CockGoblinManX: Escape from Dr. One Eye'd Willie's Rectal Prolapse Arena

Michirin9801

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/30/2017, 04:10 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/30/2017, 04:01 PMOn the other hand, Arkhan, if you're trying to get more info out of Michirin as to WHY she has the opinions she does, beating her over the head is not going to do it. That's not friendly engagement. That's aggression. Being "right" doesn't excuse it. An opportunity to explore why we like what we like is wasted because now everyone's defensive and ready to punch.
*shrug*,  the info came out.  I don't really think the first post was so bad, and received a defensive  self righteous reply.   It's not really out of line with the tone other people use, including michirin.

Besides, If I didn't ask, nobody else sure as fuck was going to bother.    There'd just be people scrolling by going yepyepyep opinions yepbrblrbrlrbyep because this forum has practically devolved into a circle jerk where nothing cool gets talked about anymore most of the time.
The problem is that you pretty much always come across as a jerk, at least when answering to me...

It's harder to pin-point why I don't like something than it is to say why I like something, and saying "I like so and so more" still makes sense, I don't need your agreement, your approval, or even your understanding, all I want is to express my opinion without being harassed for it... And I DO say why I like the things that I do, and it's not just the "adverb-laden praise" you take it as, did I not say that I like Final Fight 3's music because I like its instrumentation, because it's very layered, because pretty much every instrument plays its own melody and it somehow fits in together like clockwork, because there's a lot of variety in the sound and because it's geniusly composed? Is that not explaining why I like it? Same with the games from the other companies I've mentioned, I like Sunsoft's music not only because it's well-composed, but because it really takes advantage of the NES's sound hardware without having to use extra soundchips in the cartridge, and I like several other NES soundtracks because of their more nuanced instrumentation than whatever Capcom did on the NES...

I'll give Capcom this much though, it's not their fault that I've grown a distaste for their NES music style, it's just that said style is SO overused and overexposed that I'm sick of hearing it, everyone and their moms wants to make music like they did... I guess that just goes to show how popular they are...

Also, mentioning the names of a few companies is easier than name-dropping god-only-knows how many games they've put out on the system in question, and being a retro-gaming-connoisseur you should have an idea of what I'm talking about when I name-drop said companies...

OldRover

Final Lap Twin because a racing RPG is a hella crossover, Splatterhouse because FUCK YEAH HELL MASK AND 2x4 CARNAGE, and Wonder Momo because panties.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Arkhan Asylum

Sidenote:  *vintage.    Retro is the wrong word to use.  We need to collectively fix that trend of overusing that word incorrectly.   Retro is imitation.   This shit isn't an imitation of itself. 

Anyway, you're reading too far into it.   My tone is generally always kind of blunt/abrasive.   Don't take it personally, lol.

I agree Capcom's musical style is overdone.  It's like all the other fuckin arp laden bullshit people crank out in gameboy trackers and go OMFG CHIPTUNES.   Everyone steals the Capcom laser toms and megaman leads and cranks out bullshit.

It's all derivative-y and annoying.  Most of it is just background noise that you can't remember after you hear it, too.   I've gone to chipmusic concerts where it's just the sounds of robots fucking, with flashing lights.    Waste of time/money.   At least they had nachos.

When you almost give examples, that's cool.   When you say "I like the instrumentation", etc.  it helps to give actual examples.     Namedropping companies and saying "I like the thing" just means everyone else has to fill in the gaps, and may not fill them in as you thought.     If you want to get your points/tastes across, it's your job to articulate them.   

You spend more time defending your lack of reasoning after I point it out than you do simply fleshing a thought out. 

Some of it, I think, is that you are bad at pinpointing things.  It's like if you ask someone their favorite candybar, and they name every goddamn candybar in the store, lol.   

Think about it more.  I don't know.   You could probably narrow down your taste to a pretty concise explanation instead of just throwing blanket company namedrops out there to solve it.

Any company has their ups and downs, too.   

If you just say I like Capcom's SNES music, we can't get a good handle on what you like.  Demon's Crest sounds nothing like Street Fighter 2 sounds nothing like MegaMan X sounds nothing like Knights of the Round.

and Super Ghouls and Ghosts just sounds like a toy piano in a store on demonstration mode.   

Also, I sometimes wonder if you're actually serious when you say that you'd rather listen to chipstuff over real stuff or however it was you worded it.

like, if you were presented with listening to Bayou Billy's soundtrack.... wouldn't you rather have this:
instead of the OG tune?

Michirin9801

I guess I should me more specific more often? Here's the thing though, my taste is really broad and eclectic, and it's hard to be specific when you like so many things that are so different from one another... Here's an example:
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/30/2017, 11:12 PMIf you just say I like Capcom's SNES music, we can't get a good handle on what you like.  Demon's Crest sounds nothing like Street Fighter 2 sounds nothing like MegaMan X sounds nothing like Knights of the Round.

and Super Ghouls and Ghosts just sounds like a toy piano in a store on demonstration mode.   
Yeah, they sound nothing alike, but I like all of them...
Even if they "sound like a Toy Piano", but to me, that's only part of the charm!

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/30/2017, 11:12 PMAlso, I sometimes wonder if you're actually serious when you say that you'd rather listen to chipstuff over real stuff or however it was you worded it.
I actually do listen to chiptunes on my MP3 player all the time, while going to work, while going to college, while waiting in lines, while drawing, I've got lots of soundtracks from SNES, GBA, PCE, DS, X68000 and PC-98 games, among others, that I've either recorded or downloaded somewhere, and I actually do enjoy it more than "real music"...
How can I say it... I guess the less real it sounds, the more it appeals to me, but when it starts to sound primitive then it also starts to lose part of said appeal...

Heck, the majority of the music with lyrics I even listen to are sung by Vocaloids! (And UTAU and CeVIO) Anything else is either Eurobeat (because it's HYPE) or some old anime music...

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah, but if you were to go to a concert, would you seriously rather go to a chiptune recording?

Because that's just a nightclub at that point, lol.

Michirin9801

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 10/30/2017, 11:40 PMYeah, but if you were to go to a concert, would you seriously rather go to a chiptune recording?

Because that's just a nightclub at that point, lol.
I'd probably only go if it was either an Eurobeat one or a Vocaloid one...
I mean, I've never gone to a concert, but given your aforementioned experience with chiptune concerts, that sounds like it just wouldn't be worth it...

Arkhan Asylum

Chiptune concerts kind of suck. 

like, I even went and saw Anamanaguchi.

It's them playing along to an NES plugged into the sound system...    and they didn't interact with the crowd whatsoever.   

It was garbage.    Just a bunch of hipster prevapefam college kids flailing around acting stupid.

The best part was the one opener band had gameboys and he was trying to headbang while using it, and accidentally turned it off and ruined everything.

Arkhan Asylum

These are real chiptune concerts.

This is the real shit.     Not just them blasting the arcade tune over the loud speakers, lol

Arkhan Asylum

Shit heres the full thing.  Hell yeha.aaaaagrregadgdghhgh

ClodBusted

Question: Would Yellow Magic Orchestra qualify as chiptunes?

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 11/01/2017, 02:33 AMQuestion: Would Yellow Magic Orchestra qualify as chiptunes?
teehee

nopepper

-Mega Man X's soundtrack is one of the few that uses those horrible guitar samples and is not completely unlistenable. However, Capcom completely shit the bed in MMX 2 and 3, which has some of the most shrill sounds they've ever put out.

-Why does Sunsoft get so much NES music love? Their stuff sounds great, for sure, but their compositions are generally boring (besides Blaster Master). Journey To Silius is one of the worst offenders of just a flat, repetitive soundtrack that never quite achieves climax in its compositions. Maybe I'm missing something...

-The best soundtrack among the ones Michirin quoted is Silver Surfer. Too bad it is sooo short. I wonder if its seemingly high fidelity contributed to keeping it short, due to space constraints?

-Turbo/PCE Dragon Spirit's soundtrack is better than any soundtrack in the SNES. This is not opinion, it's fact, and if you disagree, you are wrong.

Arkhan Asylum

Sunsoft uses a lot of samples and stuff that distract from the fact that some of the songs are actually boring.

I liked Batman level 1's music... but the rest of the soundtrack, I can't really remember even though I spent hours playing that game...  I can recall the second level's music too, but it was garbage and annoying, and a total buzz kill after how good stage 1's tune is.

Blaster Master is definitely one of the best Sunsoft soundtracks, if not the best one.

Festers Quest had some good stuff too, packaged in a frustrating game, but still good.   The Addam's Family theme from it was done so well.     It's amazing to me that I used to sit and play that game for hours and actually beat it.   Playing it now, I'm like "holy shit this game is a douche"

Freedom Force is an often never spoken about Sunsoft game with no frills NES heavy metal music.   The tunes in that game are great.  There's some pretty wicked percussion in there.
Stage 5's music is straight up 1980s thrash metal. 

nopepper

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/01/2017, 01:31 PMFreedom Force is an often never spoken about Sunsoft game with no frills NES heavy metal music.   The tunes in that game are great.  There's some pretty wicked percussion in there.

Stage 5's music is straight up 1980s thrash metal.
That sounds pretty cool, but will need a zapper to play that game. Definitely one I have not tried before.

The only trash metal NES soundtrack I can recall is Kabuki Quantum Fighter, which has some pretty good tunes, but I always felt some of the instruments used (especially percussive) were too bubbly to fit the theme.

ccovell

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/01/2017, 01:31 PMI can recall the second level's music too, but it was garbage and annoying, and a total buzz kill after how good stage 1's tune is.
You're wrong.  :)  The 2nd stage's tune is great too, for the "intricate" feeling it provides.

Anyway, if you don't like buzzkills, go play the Famicom version of the game to get that tune out of the way first.  Go look it up.  No, I won't provide a YouTube link.  :D

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ccovell on 11/01/2017, 05:42 PMYou're wrong.  :)  The 2nd stage's tune is great too, for the "intricate" feeling it provides.
The problem I have with that song is the beginning little bit that repeats a few times.   That DRR DR DRRRRRR part.   I don't know why, but I can't stand it.  I think it's because the song is *trying* to sound like a metal tune, but that instrument doesn't work right for the guitar riff it was trying to emulate.   It's not gritty enough.

QuoteGo look it up.  No, I won't provide a YouTube link.  :D
well yeah, it's easy to look up something if I don't have to fumble through a picross game to find it... lol

Why did they switch the order, anyways.

ccovell

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/01/2017, 05:52 PMwell yeah, it's easy to look up something if I don't have to fumble through a picross game to find it... lol
Erm, it comes before any such requisite fumbling.  It's in fact the very definition of a splash screen.  :/

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ccovell on 11/01/2017, 07:52 PMErm, it comes before any such requisite fumbling.  It's in fact the very definition of a splash screen.  :/
Oh, whoops,  I didn't realize it's **only** in the demo, lol.  The one on my machine and the one I regrabbed from the top of TML page isn't the demo.  Nailed it.

Why'd you take it out of the not-demo? 

ccovell

Yeah, why did I?    :-k

It's as relevant in 2017 as it was in 1989, in 2001, and in 2006.

Arkhan Asylum

I mean, it's not like you can't add it back in now.

I don't think it ever stops being relevant.

Michirin9801

Quote from: nopepper on 11/01/2017, 01:14 PM-The best soundtrack among the ones Michirin quoted is Silver Surfer. Too bad it is sooo short. I wonder if its seemingly high fidelity contributed to keeping it short, due to space constraints?
I don't think it's short because it's too big, it uses no samples what-so-ever, everything you hear in it is just the regular old NES sound, just very well used... Granted, its sheer complexity might have swollen the file size, but I don't know about that either...

Quote from: nopepper on 11/01/2017, 01:14 PM-Turbo/PCE Dragon Spirit's soundtrack is better than any soundtrack in the SNES. This is not opinion, it's fact, and if you disagree, you are wrong.
Yeah right =w=';

Arkhan Asylum

Silver Surfer's soundtrack is short because the game fucking sucks, and you don't have to play it all to hear the soundtrack.  Just suffer through one or two levels and you're good.

lol

Michirin9801

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/01/2017, 11:32 PMJust suffer through one or two levels and you're good.
Or do the sensible thing and listen to it outside of the game

gilbert

Sunsoft's rendition of Fantasy Zone's music is just GREAT. It surely suppressed the SMS version, and (without any effort, obviously) the PCE one.

JAPJAC

JAPJAC`s TFP Fanitsu Capcom Power System CHANGER Definitive Resource is the first extensive and only competent expose in English on-line is here!:

(Under the TFP Features section):

wabyack.japjac.proboards.com/thread/343/changer-definitive-line-resource-japjac
sig-top.jpg
JAPJAC - "A leading pioneer and expert in the field of Japanese videogame playing, studying & collecting in the U.K. since day one" © 2001. Japan resident & TFP founder.
sig-bot.jpg

ClodBusted

IMG

Well, hello Mr. JapJac.  I didn't recognize with your clothes on.