OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

Got a 32x...

Started by BigusSchmuck, 10/27/2017, 10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: BigusSchmuck on 11/02/2017, 10:06 AMI would definetly be interested in something like that. Would love to see the mushroom at its best. :)
QuoteDude. Phrasing.
His user ID IS Biggest Shmuck.
--DragonmasterDan

CrackTiger

Quote from: Bloufo on 11/02/2017, 01:43 AM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/01/2017, 09:42 PMAn XMD3 will give you vibrant RGB based s-video from your 32X or Genesis 2/CDX and with the 32X model 1 cable adapter you can use it on model 1 Genesis and SMS (no direct audio for SMS though).
Not easy finding one of those (XMD-3), though. I recall that was the case even quite a few years ago.

You can get audio out of the SMS with that $8 cable adapter from HD Retrovision.
I don't look for them, but regularly come across them fairly cheap on eBay. Even though I use RGB for pretty much everything now and already have an XMD3, I still picked up an XMD1 when I saw one cheap (this past year). At the time, there were also three XMD3's available.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

exodus

I like chaotix! it has great music, weird effects, not many enemies, and is mostly a hangout game. it's fun multiplayer as long as you don't get too frustrated.

Other 32x games I like:
- Zaxxon Motherbase 2000. isometric shooter where you can jump into the husks of enemies you've killed and control them.
- virtua racing. I like the music in this version best!
- shadow squadron/stellar assault - if you like low poly graphics and cool music without a lot of complicated stuff going on, this is neat for a short play.

I'm not super into space harrier or afterburner but those are good ports. there's not much that's amazing on the system, but it's got a few games I quite like, so I'm generally positive on it.

Mathius

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 11/01/2017, 09:04 PM
Quote from: Mathius on 11/01/2017, 08:37 PMPersonally I haven't picked up a cable yet due to being poor and all. I was writing from the perspective of the average Joe who doesn't have access to a PVM.  :)
The average Joe could buy (when they're in stock at least) those HDRetrovision Component cables and use those too.
I have never heard of these!

DragonmasterDan

--DragonmasterDan

Mathius

GaijinD

I've got the HDRetrovision cables. They're a little pricey, but they're well-built as far as I can tell and I can't complain about the picture.

Anyhow, I remembered Digital Foundry did a couple videos on 32X where they looked at all of the games on the system, which I thought were pretty good. Perhaps they'll be useful:
Feel like a treasure game on a rainy day.

Bloufo

Quote from: guest on 11/02/2017, 01:39 PM
Quote from: Bloufo on 11/02/2017, 01:43 AM
Quote from: guest on 11/01/2017, 09:42 PMAn XMD3 will give you vibrant RGB based s-video from your 32X or Genesis 2/CDX and with the 32X model 1 cable adapter you can use it on model 1 Genesis and SMS (no direct audio for SMS though).
Not easy finding one of those (XMD-3), though. I recall that was the case even quite a few years ago.

You can get audio out of the SMS with that $8 cable adapter from HD Retrovision.
I don't look for them, but regularly come across them fairly cheap on eBay. Even though I use RGB for pretty much everything now and already have an XMD3, I still picked up an XMD1 when I saw one cheap (this past year). At the time, there were also three XMD3's available.
The last of that micomsoft line of products that I picked up was the XNEO-1. But that as well was years ago. Even then they were scarce.

BTW, have never used an XMD-1. How is it different to the others?

Bugo3s

I recomend you pick up Chaotix, it is a bit pricey but it's good. If you pick it up, spend some time to learn the fundamentals or you will regret your purchase.
Once you learned the basics you will love that game, great music, very good art and a lot of exploration needed!
Tempo is another very good platform game, its game system is a lot more easy to grasp compared to Chaotix.

of course I recomend you the holy Model 1 trinity Virtua Racing 32X (even if you already have the Megadrive/Genesis one)  Virtua Fighter (especially if you only have the Saturn version, 32X is a lot more playable)and Star Wars Arcade (this can get a bit frustrating at times).

Last game i'd recommend you is Stellar Assault, takes quite a bit of time to get into but once you do you'll play for hours.

CrackTiger

XMD-1 has a model 1 sized plug.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Bloufo

Quote from: guest on 11/06/2017, 01:17 PMXMD-1 has a model 1 sized plug.
I had a look just now. Unlike the others, that one (XMD-1) doesn't convert RGB into an S-video signal.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Bloufo on 11/06/2017, 03:07 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 11/06/2017, 01:17 PMXMD-1 has a model 1 sized plug.
I had a look just now. Unlike the others, that one (XMD-1) doesn't convert RGB into an S-video signal.
So is it just a glorfied cable adapter?

seieienbu

Sigh.  I bumped my Sega Tower of Power and now my 32X no longer works.  I'm hoping it's just a dislodged ribbon cable but I won't have time to take a look at it until Monday.  I've had the thing forever.  I'm hoping that I didn't kill the blasted thing somehow.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

turboswimbz

NOT THE TOWA!

hope you get it fixed nice and easy.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

grolt

Just wanted to add that the VIRTUA ports (RACING and FIGHTER) are both better on the 32X compared to Saturn/MD. Time Warner's port of VR on the Saturn is really lazy, with simplified landscapes and longer load times. Personally I think the Saturn version is worse than the MD port. You and his team worked directly on optimizing that game for the home on the 32X version, and the game really plays great for the system. I love it.

Similar story for VF. The Saturn version (which I still can't hate for nostalgic reasons) was such a poor rush job. The 32X version has less tearing, more camera angles and no load times. The only plus on the Saturn is the killer CD soundtrack, but the chiptunes on the 32X version certainly have a charm. I really love the control and polygonal style of the first VF compared to the sequels, so for me the 32X version still gets a lot of play.

The MKII port is also solid and again better than the Saturn with all its Shang Tsung load times. The backgrounds using the MD to process take a hit in terms of color, but otherwise it's the best it got for that game on SEGA.

COSMIC CARNAGE doesn't seem to get much love but it's a pretty comical gore fighter with some ridiculous fatalities. Some weird lag and control certainly hold it back from being a "good" game but it is outlandish enough to really be fun. A cool exclusive for the system on the cheap at any rate. MOTOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP is another cheap, janky exclusive I've got an affinity for also.

While the SEGA AGES ports of AFTER BURNER and SPACE HARRIER might be more arcade perfect on the Saturn, I find the 32X versions control the best and are usually the ones I revisit.

Honestly, not a terrible library, but outside of the arcade ports it doesn't have a lot of personality to distinguish it as its own, and the exclusives like TEMPO, KNUCKLES CHAOTIX and KOLIBRI are all a little too weird to really make an impact.
I'm a notorious strange man.

BigusSchmuck

I actually play this more than my Jaguar...  Seriously.

seieienbu

Hurray, the problem was simple.  I re-seated the ribbon cable and my 32X sprang back to life.

Quote from: grolt on 12/02/2017, 11:27 AMCOSMIC CARNAGE doesn't seem to get much love but it's a pretty comical gore fighter with some ridiculous fatalities. Some weird lag and control certainly hold it back from being a "good" game but it is outlandish enough to really be fun. A cool exclusive for the system on the cheap at any rate. MOTOCROSS CHAMPIONSHIP is another cheap, janky exclusive I've got an affinity for also.
Lol, I've put Cosmic Carnage in a mystery fighting game tournament before.  It's dumb enough to be fun for a brief period of time but definitely not worth getting into for realz.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93