Games nobody ever fuckin talks about 2.0: Tiger Road

Started by Arkhan Asylum, 11/03/2017, 01:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkhan Asylum

I always personally liked this one more than the actual arcade one because of the music, and the graphical style being changed.

you basically look like Krillin now, except you're not a fucking lameass like Krillin.

The gameplay felt a little tighter, too, but that might just be because I only ever played it on a shitty arcade machine at a bowling alley that probably needed cleaned up.

As far as arcade conversioning goes, I thought they did a good job of consolizing it.  It makes me wonder why we never saw something like Black Tiger brought onto PCE
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PukeSter

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/03/2017, 01:14 PMIt makes me wonder why we never saw something like Black Tiger brought onto PCE
SonSon II?

I like Tiger Toad, too bad the hit detection sucks ass. Boss fights also take too long.

turboswimbz

Tiger Road is a pretty sweet game.  Black Tiger would have been cool if Crapcom would have brought it  over to the PCE. We did get SonSOn II for the PCE which is similar to both games as lukester said.  so there is that.

Tiger road is tricky and I've yet to beat it but, I always have fun with it. I mean I think it's a lot better than Tatsu No Ko Fighter.  It's visual a nice game and music isn't bad.  I think that the PC engine in general gets the shit end of the stick when people talk about platformers on the system.  For the most part the Arcade Conversions were not what was many of the other systems at the time and were perhaps a bit harder and a little more clumsy in hit detection like this game, (or worse for western games like impossamole).  But it's not really fair for the most part, with a little practice and dedication I find my self really enjoying Tiger road and a bunch of other platform games on the system.  There is more than just Bonk.   
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

spenoza

I guess my biggest problem with Tiger Road is that it's such a simplistic game. It suffers some from being an early title in the visuals and audio department, but mostly it's just short and hard, and while it plays fine, it ultimately just doesn't feel rewarding enough. It's biggest problem is therefore its lack of outstanding qualities.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 11/03/2017, 04:09 PM
Quote from: PukeSter on 11/03/2017, 03:43 PMSonSon II?
... is nothing like Black Tiger? lol
Son Son II is a Monkey King themed version of the core Black Tiger elements, with more adventurey stages, similar to how many 8-bit ports of arcade games were reworked to offer increased replay value.

I've converted probably 95% of the backgrounds of Black Tiger to PCE spec and it was more challenging than I expected to strike the right balance between faithfulness and what looks best for color/shading. I think that I came up with four different golden palettes for the final stage.

Becoming that much more intimately familiar with the visuals led to more Black Tiger homages and influences that might have already wound up in Henshin Engine. There are also things that will likely feel familiar to fans of Forgotten Worlds and Magic Sword.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

I found Tiger Road boring.  It's not broken or particularly bad in any way, but there's no magic to it.

Quote from: guest on 11/03/2017, 04:39 PM... it's just short and hard, and while it plays fine, it ultimately just doesn't feel rewarding enough.
That's what she said?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Arkhan Asylum

I never really felt like SS2 was like Black Tiger, but some of that might just be because the thematic changes are so different. 

Gypsy

I have a love/hate relationship with this one. FUGGIN HARD MAN.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Gypsy on 11/03/2017, 05:10 PMI have a love/hate relationship with this one. FUGGIN HARD MAN.
This!  I definitely think it kills the arcade version.  I like the music.  It was one of my first games, came with the bundle I bought from a friend back in Feb of 91 with Vigilante, Ninja Spirit, Splatterhouse & ......dun dun DUUUUUNN Keith Courage of coarse!
IMG

blueraven

You get to play Krillen and fuck up everyone on Tiger road.

This is one of my dream platformers.

Game is so freaking dope, and I only have a case and instructions  :x

Digi.k

I like this but then when you enter those levels where you fly around and avoid the spikes.... *powers off console*

Gypsy

Quote from: Digi.k on 11/04/2017, 03:15 PMI like this but then when you enter those levels where you fly around and avoid the spikes.... *powers off console*
TRUTH.

TR0N

I find tiger road to be sub-par game dunno i was never impressed.I remember the original,TG16 i had and tiger road was a early buy for me after completing the game i felt underwhelm by it.Today i don't even have the urge to find a copy of the game again.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Gypsy on 11/04/2017, 07:24 PM
Quote from: Digi.k on 11/04/2017, 03:15 PMI like this but then when you enter those levels where you fly around and avoid the spikes.... *powers off console*
TRUTH.
Yeah, spikes are frustrating.  Also, those skulls that suck you in & insta death.  I rarely could get the timing right!
IMG