10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Insanely lucky TG16 score! Requesting help!

Started by t8rt00tz, 11/16/2017, 10:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t8rt00tz

Hello! I am a 28 year old musician and have been collecting video games for a few years now (I know, I picked literally the least budget-friendly activities) on top of that I work at a brewery here in Ohio. Well, this particular brewery was a pawn shop once upon a time. So one day a few weeks back I walk into work and my boss approaches me and hands me a very dusty and black hardshell case and says "this was sitting in the attic and I thought you might want this" (he knows I collect). On this case it says "Turbografx 16" and feels a little heavy so I'm immediately thinking like "nah there's probably screwdrivers and coal with my luck" so I open it and BAM! TG16 console with a cd add on that is dust free with perfect looking inputs and not a scratch or ding, really looking like it just hit shelves yesterday!

Unfortunately it didn't come with any power/av chords nor a controller, but I didn't care, I've been wanting one of these bad boys for a long time! I dug a little deeper and got directed to this site. I'm hoping someone is able to help me with what I need, maybe more cost-efficient ways to get this thing up and running, because I'm so excited but I don't even know if it works, even though it looks brand new. Any and all help is appreciated! Thank you!

P.s. It came with "fighting street" CD in it, what kind of system cards do I need? It's kind of a confusing console.

tbone3969

First off, welcome.

I believe you just need the 2.0 card for Fighting Street.  I bet the TirboGrafx 16 system works fine.  Disconnect it form the CD base and throw a NES power brick Sega Genesis power brick and a NES RF adapter on it and test it.  Do you have any hu-cards to test it with? 

I doubt the CD player works.  I bet it powers on but will not read discs.  You will need to pick up the official TurboGrafx 16 CD power brick off this site or eBay.  Then, once you get power hooked up, hook up the audio video cables (just basic composite cables) and try Fighting Street.  You will need the 2.0 CD Card as well to play it.

Good luck and let us know how it works.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

t8rt00tz

Thank you! Is there a way (without having to constantly check the internet) to see which kind of system card I need? Also, to get this straight, the cd connector takes its own special adapter that cannot be powered by any other universal means?

spenoza

If the game is a CD-ROM(2) game, it needs the System 2.0/2.1 card. If the game is a Super CD-ROM(2) game it needs the 3.0/3.1 Super System Card. Arcade CD-ROM(2) games need the Arcade CD Card. They all say what kind of game they are on them, so it shouldn't be an issue.

tbone3969

It's true that the CD unit has a very unique power brick.  Its like 9.5 volts or something.  I have used an old universal Radio Shack adapter in the past that worked but some people say it can fry the system.  If I were you I would only use the official power brick but members with more technical knowledge can weigh in on that.

For the CD games there are 3 categories of system cards.  The regular (2.0) which plays the early CD games, the Super CD Rom Card (3.0) which plays the later CD releases and most of the best game IMO (Lords of Thunder, Drac X, etc.), and the Arcade Card which is Japanese region only and plays the handful of Arcade games (Sapphire being the most desirable).

Honestly, if you really wanted to get into the Turbo CD world, I would ship your system out to Keith Courage (member here) and get it region modded and get your CD unit tuned up.  This will save you money in the end as you can then get the cheaper Japanese version system cards as well as play any region hu-card and CD game.  Just my opinion.  You could also get some video upgrade mods from him as well.
"There's something out there in those trees and it ain't no man. We're all gonna die."

LostFlunky

The gear in the CD rom drive has probably turned to cheese by now.  It will likely need some repairs soon if not now.

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard!  Neato buried treasure find, but it'll probably need the gear fix and/or cleaning and regreasing, but fear not - there's lots of good repair guys here ready to help.

For a power supply, there's these guys: https://en.retrogamesupply.com/collections/pc-engine/products/power-supply-for-nec-turbografx-16-cd-rom-dock.  I can't vouch for the quality or their service, but it's an option for a new regulated power supply that'd hopefully be more consistent and more reliable than an ancient original.

Quote from: guest on 11/16/2017, 10:40 AMIf the game is a CD-ROM(2) game, it needs the System 2.0/2.1 card. If the game is a Super CD-ROM(2) game it needs the 3.0/3.1 Super System Card. Arcade CD-ROM(2) games need the Arcade CD Card. They all say what kind of game they are on them, so it shouldn't be an issue.
This mostly covers the system card question.  The only outliers are Altered Beast (requires a 1.0 card), the few games labeled as Super CDs that're actually just regular CDs (like Terraforming), and the Games Express games that came with their own customized system cards.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

spenoza

Do we know what kind of voltage regulator is used inside the CD unit? If it's a good quality one it should actually accept a relatively broad range of voltages. If it's a crappy one, yeah, 10 is as high as you'd want to go.

LostFlunky

Quote from: guest on 11/16/2017, 12:21 PMDo we know what kind of voltage regulator is used inside the CD unit? If it's a good quality one it should actually accept a relatively broad range of voltages. If it's a crappy one, yeah, 10 is as high as you'd want to go.
Don't have the answer, but I fried two of the multi-voltage adapters when I first got my TGCD with a broken p/s.  I ended up replacing the fuse in the p/s and it has been working for 23 years...

ginoscope

Welcome to the forum and what an amazing find.

Another alternative for the CD power supply is retrogamecave.com.  I have their power supply for my genesis, sega cd, and 32x tower and it works great.

http://www.retrogamecave.com/shop/4577155957/psu-tg16-cd-rom2-dock-console-(new-version)/11064428

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 11/16/2017, 10:40 AMIf the game is a CD-ROM(2) game, it needs the System 2.0/2.1 card. If the game is a Super CD-ROM(2) game it needs the 3.0/3.1 Super System Card. Arcade CD-ROM(2) games need the Arcade CD Card. They all say what kind of game they are on them, so it shouldn't be an issue.
Best thing to do is just get the 3.0 card. Though I suppose the US one is probably entirely too much money. But just about every CD game should run with it (obviously not arcade games) except for I believe just Altered Beast which sucks anyway but requires the basic system card.

Someone should correct me if I'm wrong but I think I am right.

tbone3969

Actually.....

Just get a Turbo Everdrive for around $100.  A US 3.0 Super System card will cost around $200 while the Turbo Everdrive can act as one and let yo play any and all PC Engine and TurboGrafx Hu-cards.

NecroPhile

Just make sure it's the correct version.  Not all everdrives can act like a Super System Card.

Quote from: Gypsy on 11/16/2017, 01:55 PMSomeone should correct me if I'm wrong but I think I am right.
A Super System Card won't cut it for Games Express games, and there's a couple games that get picky about the region of the Super System Card.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Bloufo

Quote from: tbone3969 on 11/16/2017, 10:15 AMI bet the TirboGrafx 16 system works fine.  Disconnect it form the CD base and throw a NES power brick and a NES RF adapter on it and test it.
You probably know better than me, but an NES power supply on a TG16?
The NES power brick outputs AC, not DC.

Gypsy

Ahhhh good old games express. The true gems of the PC Engine.  8)

Honestly I did forget about those.

Everdrive is probably a great idea.

ginoscope

Quote from: Bloufo on 11/16/2017, 02:44 PM
Quote from: tbone3969 on 11/16/2017, 10:15 AMI bet the TirboGrafx 16 system works fine.  Disconnect it form the CD base and throw a NES power brick and a NES RF adapter on it and test it.
You do not want to use the NES power brick on anything but the nes.  The genesis model 1 ac adapter will power a TG16 just fine.

tbone3969

Quote from: Bloufo on 11/16/2017, 02:44 PM
Oh yeah.  Forgot about that.  Your right.  What can he use for his TurboGrafx 16 then?  Sega Genesis power brick?

Answered above.

Thanks.

seieienbu

A free Turbo CD?  That's a hell of a good deal, congrats!  I'm seconding getting an Everdrive as prices on games have gone stupid high in the past few years.  It's nice to be able to see everything without spending an arm and a leg. 

As said, your CD Rom drive will likely need a tune up but once it's working (and you have the appropriate system card) you can burn any CD game without worry about region or copy protection.

I'm sure that you'll have a lot of fun with the system.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ClodBusted

Whenever somebody suggest the NES AC/AC power adapter to power another console, a little something in me dies.

t8rt00tz

Okay so I've heard Everdrive is the way to go. So is that basically a card that acts as both the 2.0 and the 3.0 and possibly more?

tbone3969

Quote from: t8rt00tz on 11/17/2017, 11:23 AMOkay so I've heard Everdrive is the way to go. So is that basically a card that acts as both the 2.0 and the 3.0 and possibly more ?
That and you can load hu-card roms onto it to play.  You can easily put every US and Japanese release on a small SD card.  Play Magical Chase anytime you want for a fraction of the cost.  It's also sweet to load up all the hacks and homebrew games like the Mega Man games and others.

tbone3969

Quote from: guest on 11/17/2017, 06:02 AM
Whenever somebody suggest the NES AC/AC power adapter to power another console, a little something in me dies.
My bad.  Will not do that again.

ClodBusted

t8rt00tz

Thank you guys so much for all the help! Can't wait to dive into this system more and start contributing to the cause.

xcrement5x

Quote from: tbone3969 on 11/17/2017, 11:28 AM
Quote from: t8rt00tz on 11/17/2017, 11:23 AMOkay so I've heard Everdrive is the way to go. So is that basically a card that acts as both the 2.0 and the 3.0 and possibly more?
That and you can load hu-card roms onto it to play.  You can easily put every US and Japanese release on a small SD card.  Play Magical Chase anytime you want for a fraction of the cost.  It's also sweet to load up all the hacks and homebrew games like the Mega Man games and Atlantean.
Please note that Atlantean is not a free homebrew, please support the developer:
http://www.aetherbyte.com/aetherbyte-atlantean_for_pc-engine_and_turbografx-16.html

However, Santatlantean is a a free download which you can find here:
http://www.aetherbyte.com/aetherbyte-santatlantean_for_pc-engine_and_turbografx-16.html
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

LostFlunky

tbone3969

Quote from: guest on 11/17/2017, 03:07 PM
Quote from: tbone3969 on 11/17/2017, 11:28 AM
Quote from: t8rt00tz on 11/17/2017, 11:23 AMOkay so I've heard Everdrive is the way to go. So is that basically a card that acts as both the 2.0 and the 3.0 and possibly more?
That and you can load hu-card roms onto it to play.  You can easily put every US and Japanese release on a small SD card.  Play Magical Chase anytime you want for a fraction of the cost.  It's also sweet to load up all the hacks and homebrew games like the Mega Man games and Atlantean.
Please note that Atlantean is not a free homebrew, please support the developer:
http://www.aetherbyte.com/aetherbyte-atlantean_for_pc-engine_and_turbografx-16.html

However, Santatlantean is a a free download which you can find here:
http://www.aetherbyte.com/aetherbyte-santatlantean_for_pc-engine_and_turbografx-16.html
God dam it.  I always fuck it up.

xcrement5x

Lol, this time I will give you the benefit of the doubt and assume you meant Santatlantean.  Ark does allow you to purchase just the rom of the full version of Atlantean though.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Sparky

Welcome man, finally someone genuine that is excited to play it then what it is worth. Wish I had some extra games to send your way.

When you finally power up this baby and if the CD unit does not spin up leave it on for about 20 minutes, pressing the play button right on the cd unit every once in awhile while your waiting. I had troubles with mine before I got it fixed and this got mine going. Had to warm up and finally spun up after a few presses of the play button.

A musician you say? A guy name Arkhan here plays a mean skin flute! :P

SiberianSpForces

Glad to see you made it here! In case I didn't link you on reddit, check your pm's.