@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Turbo games you should like that you don't. My example (Forgotten Worlds)

Started by Keith Courage, 12/29/2017, 10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keith Courage

I was wondering for others what games you don't like for the Turbo where most other people sings its praises.

For example. Forgotten Worlds

I don't know why but I just can't get into this game. So many talk about it like it's one of Capcoms best but it just doesn't do anything for me and I don't know why. It looks amazing, sounds amazing, but I get absolutely nothing out of it. Maybe it's because I didn't own this one on the Turbo growing up. I do like Side Arms though so it's not the style of shooter.

seieienbu

I respect a lot about the game, but I can't play Alien Crush to save my life.  The art, music, the overall mood are fantastic.  But every time I try to play it I think "Why not just play Devil Crush?" and move on.  I think that Devil Crush is just so superior in every way that I just can't enjoy playing Alien Crush.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

NoSexGex

Legendary Axe II comes to mind, although I haven't played it in a few years. Maybe i'll check it out again soon and have a new experience. Just remember the backgrounds all being dungey, and didn't hold well compared to the 1st game.
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"
He then followed it up with 8 WEEKS of ~DAILY calling! BAN ON SIGHT!!!

esteban

I wrote a long post, fell asleep, and now it's gone.

Goddammit.

Anyway, I think Sidearms and Section Z are better games than Forgotten Worlds because the awkward controls (even with a three button controller) will never seem as satisfying to me to play as the immediacy of the controls in Sidearms/Section Z.

However, I have a complaint about Sidearms, too, and it's a vestige of Capcom's silly power up system from 1942—I hate cycling through weapons. I just find it annoying. Now, this doesn't stop me from playing 194X or Sidearms...but the problem is *not* the cycling itself, it's just that there are too many steps in the cycle and it is annoying to worry about ONE ERRANT SHOT forcing you to start the cycle over.

Konami is guilty of this in the Twin Bee series (Stinger!)... those goddamn bells are so annoying.

So Detana! Twin Bee is a game I should like A LOT (since I loved Stinger for NES, despite the damn bells)... but, for PCE, I just find myself grabbing another HuCARD instead of sticking with Twin Bee.

So, I really like Sidearms (BOTH the HuCARD *and* the CD are must-haves, as far as I am concerned)...

DETANA! TB: But I am indifferent to Detana! Twin Bee even though I love Stinger (I really love that stupid game, I find it quite charming).

And now...

I could care less for fighting games...so... I guess that doesn't count for this thread...

PARANOIA: BUT I SHOULD LIKE PARANOIA for TG-16, since it is a shootemup and has "Naxat" attached to it..but, damn, this game has never really impressed me.

I love the "surreal" concepts and aesthetics they were going for (moreso in some stages rather than others), but as a shootemup it is mediocre...it's OK, but I just had much higher expectations about it (back in the day) and I guess I never got past that initial disappointment.

KAZE KIRI: Expectations vs Reality have ruined another game for me ...I want to like Kaze Kiri, but it just didn't click with me. And I am very forgiving (I like Vigilante, after all). So I sold the silly game years ago. But, I wish I still had it to give it another chance. So is this another instance of "sour grapes"?

I may be unfairly dissing Kaze Kiri, but too bad.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

GoldenWheels

Quote from: guest on 12/30/2017, 01:02 AMLegendary Axe II comes to mind, although I haven't played it in a few years. Maybe i'll check it out again soon and have a new experience. Just remember the backgrounds all being dungey, and didn't hold well compared to the 1st game.
I'd likely choose this one too. Dark graphics, removes the cool mechanic of the first one, and is balls hard/cheap near the end. If only it was more like the first.

turboswimbz

I really don't enjoy Gate of Thunder...

I don't know why, I love other shooters like it, but after I die once or twice, I just move on, it never holds me. 

I mean it's got great music, graphics and I know many people love it, I just can't get into it.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

EmperorIng

Quote from: esteban on 12/30/2017, 03:15 AMKAZE KIRI: Expectations vs Reality have ruined another game for me ...I want to like Kaze Kiri, but it just didn't click with me. And I am very forgiving (I like Vigilante, after all). So I sold the silly game years ago. But, I wish I still had it to give it another chance. So is this an insatiable if "sour grapes"?
Don't even need to give it another chance. Vigilante has more variety than Kaze Kiri, and is 1/3rd as long as the game. You can play Vigilante three times and pretend you are playing a more action-packed Kaze Kiri.

deubeul

Quote from: turboswimbz on 12/30/2017, 09:46 AMI really don't enjoy Gate of Thunder...

I don't know why, I love other shooters like it, but after I die once or twice, I just move on, it never holds me. 

I mean it's got great music, graphics and I know many people love it, I just can't get into it.
Dis you try hard or devil modes?

NoSexGex

Quote from: turboswimbz on 12/30/2017, 09:46 AMI really don't enjoy Gate of Thunder...

Feel the same. I always just thought I sucked at gates, but it seems other people feel the same way. Really dislike it in shooters where you die from touching the walls. Probably why I never gave Aero Blasters much of a chance.
For a good time, reach out to this wily KKKFarm-crankcaller at (780) 717-9274 or Ryleystuartreynolds@gmail.com up in Alberta, Canada!
His last crank-voicemail: "Gimme a call back when you can. This is Ryley by the way... *giggles*"

turboswimbz

Quote from: deubeul on 12/30/2017, 11:29 AM

Dis you try hard or devil modes?
General just on easy.  I suck at this game which doesn't help and yeah like it's mentioned touching the walls gets to me.  I just never stick with it.   I get to level 3 but that's about it. Aeroblasters is another game now that's mentioned too that I struggle to really get into.  I like to pop em in every now and then though.
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

OldRover

The Legendary Axe. People go on and on about how great it is but I did not play this back in the day so I'm not nostalgic about it. I did not play it until many years later, and immediately saw it for the terribly-flawed mediocre game it really is.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Medic_wheat

Magica Chase.

I played and own the PCE version.

It's an okay game. However I found it not very challenging and I SUCK at shooters.

So for my to say it felt easy I can only imagine what people who are vastly more capable at shooters must think.

Also it's short. And not oh I picked the easy version and the game stopped is way asking me to play again but oh it's over?

R-Type I&II felt more challangjng and meatier to game content. And it was one of the first few games to come out I believe.

PukeSter

Quote from: The Old Rover on 12/31/2017, 11:03 AMThe Legendary Axe. People go on and on about how great it is but I did not play this back in the day so I'm not nostalgic about it. I did not play it until many years later, and immediately saw it for the terribly-flawed mediocre game it really is.
If the legendary axe is mediocre, then castlevania on nes is terrible.

I love the axe and knowing when to use it. The full power strike is incredible. CRACK!!!

I'm not big on military madness. If there was an enemy turn skip feature, those hardass later levels wouldn't be as frustrating and long.

Dynastic hero is a lame port. The soundtrack is terrible and the lack of parallax really hurts the graphics. No new content to balance out the bad.

Darius plus is a classic but super Darius 2 is messy. That lack of resolution increases the difficulty tenfold. They compensate with a large amount of lives and an optional weapon keep mode. Just a mess

Never liked dragon spirit or ordyne

PukeSter

May shock some that games I really like are bravoman, wonder momo and altered beast

Samurai ghost is a classic, but I hate the first one.

Kaze kiri is a massive waste of potential. Represents what I hate about some of the games on the pc engine cd add-on. Substitute style for substance

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 12/31/2017, 12:03 PMMay shock some that games I really like are bravoman, wonder momo and altered beast

Samurai ghost is a classic, but I hate the first one.

Kaze kiri is a massive waste of potential. Represents what I hate about some of the games on the pc engine cd add-on. Substitute style for substance
Bravoman and Altered give me headaches,

But you are just wrong about wonder momo
that game is downright charming

OldRover

Quote from: guest on 12/31/2017, 11:56 AMIf the legendary axe is mediocre, then castlevania on nes is terrible.
It is terrible... that's another game I didn't play back in the day so there's no nostalgia attached. Hell, the first few Castlevania games in general were pretty terrible. They established standards for the series, but their gameplay is awful.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 12/31/2017, 11:56 AMDynastic hero is a lame port. The soundtrack is terrible and the lack of parallax really hurts the graphics. No new content to balance out the bad.

Agree very much about Dynastic Hero. I tried to play it recently but ended up getting bored and moved on.

Dragon Spirit and Ordyne are alright though. Not masterpieces but they are also cheapies so they are fine for what they are imo.

seieienbu

Quote from: OldRover on 12/31/2017, 12:36 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/31/2017, 11:56 AMIf the legendary axe is mediocre, then castlevania on nes is terrible.
It is terrible... that's another game I didn't play back in the day so there's no nostalgia attached. Hell, the first few Castlevania games in general were pretty terrible. They established standards for the series, but their gameplay is awful.
Just curious on your thoughts of Castlevania 3 then.

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Gypsy on 12/31/2017, 01:32 PM
Quote from: guest on 12/31/2017, 11:56 AMDynastic hero is a lame port. The soundtrack is terrible and the lack of parallax really hurts the graphics. No new content to balance out the bad.

Agree very much about Dynastic Hero. I tried to play it recently but ended up getting bored and moved on.

Dragon Spirit and Ordyne are alright though. Not masterpieces but they are also cheapies so they are fine for what they are imo.
Man, Dynastic Hero has one of my favorite game soundtracks of all time.  It's a great game, though I have nostalgia for it, as I played it probably 15 years before I played Wonderboy in Monsterworld.  It is a shame that there's missing paralax & a missing boss.  Plus, the heat wave's from the hearths are gone, which would also be easy to pull off.
IMG

esteban

NEW YEAR'S RESOLUTION: I will not defend the games whose reputations are being besmirched and besotted in this thread.

This will save me from arguing with NODTVEDIT about the collision detection in Legendary Axe (every few years this comes up).

HAPPY NEW YEAR NOD!

:)

gilbert

About Dynastic Hero, I never owned the games but I've played them back-to-back before, which I personally prefer the PCE version massively much to the MD version.

Neither of them were bad and of course the MD version was the original, but I found the PCE version heavily improved in the graphical and audio departments (okay not as heavily in the graphical side).

I like the red book tracks more than the FM tunes and the new boss designs are more interesting(those in the MD version are "standard" Wonder Boy stuff). Also, the additional animated opening and ending (together with the vocal ending theme) are the main reasons to go for the PCE version.

I think the fairy/whatever companions are more varied in their ability too, whereas in the MD version they are more or less the same.

Personally I found the missing parallax scrolling not so important here, as it's not really ground-breaking but of course it'd be nice to have some of these included.

The major let-down of the PCE version, though, is that there is no visual indication of the equipments on your character (I think only the weapon is changed, another game suffering from this is Princess Minerva, that in the original PC version the equipments of the characters are reflected in the walking characters on the field and in combat). It may be due to hardware difference that the PCE is more powerful in displaying larger sprites whereas the MD being more capable in displaying a large number of small sprites, thus there are more games with overlapping sprites (and more games with segmented bosses, and "oddities" like Ernest Evans), though I think it's more due to the laziness of the developers.

esteban

Quote from: gilbert on 01/01/2018, 08:55 AMAbout Dynastic Hero, I never owned the games but I've played them back-to-back before, which I personally prefer the PCE version massively much to the MD version.

Neither of them were bad and of course the MD version was the original, but I found the PCE version heavily improved in the graphical and audio departments (okay not as heavily in the graphical side).

I like the red book tracks more than the FM tunes and the new boss designs are more interesting(those in the MD version are "standard" Wonder Boy stuff). Also, the additional animated opening and ending (together with the vocal ending theme) are the main reasons to go for the PCE version.

I think the fairy/whatever companions are more varied in their ability too, whereas in the MD version they are more or less the same.

Personally I found the missing parallax scrolling not so important here, as it's not really ground-breaking but of course it'd be nice to have some of these included.

The major let-down of the PCE version, though, is that there is no visual indication of the equipments on your character (I think only the weapon is changed, another game suffering from this is Princess Minerva, that in the original PC version the equipments of the characters are reflected in the walking characters on the field and in combat). It may be due to hardware difference that the PCE is more powerful in displaying larger sprites whereas the MD being more capable in displaying a large number of small sprites, thus there are more games with overlapping sprites (and more games with segmented bosses, and "oddities" like Ernest Evans), though I think it's more due to the laziness of the developers.
I concur, but, since I made a sacred New Year's Resolution *not* to defend the honor of unjustly-condemned games, I must not comment any further.

ASIDE: Thank you for defending the venerable Dynastic Hero. Did you see what the heathens in this thread said about...

OldRover

Quote from: seieienbu on 12/31/2017, 07:30 PMJust curious on your thoughts of Castlevania 3 then.
Plays like crap, just like its predecessors.

PukeSter

Quote from: gilbert on 01/01/2018, 08:55 AMAbout Dynastic Hero, I never owned the games but I've played them back-to-back before, which I personally prefer the PCE version massively much to the MD version.

I don't think we played the same game.

I can't remember a single song being good except the beach song. Everything else was poor. They didn't even include the classic monster land final castle theme!! If tatsujin wasn't on the Facebook groups he'd be telling us all how the "great nick wood composed a masterpiece"

All the bosses looked weird and out of place. And if Paranoia is correct then missing a boss is a big deal. The final boss was also neutered since the buzzsaw was removed.

This wasn't just simple parallax. The snowy and underwater levels looked absolutely stunning. I was appalled when I tried the pce port, these beautiful scenes looked so flat and empty.

A vocal ending? Eh. I think we are reaching for straws here.

Is dynastic hero a bad game? No it's fantastic. But there's practically no reason to play it over the original unless you're curious about the differences. For a community that puts pride into the system's quality ports, they cut dynastic hero too much slack.

Happy new year!

gilbert

Quote from: guest on 01/01/2018, 11:37 AMI don't think we played the same game.
Probably not, as I'd only play the Japanese version, though the difference could be minimal given that they probably spent minimal effort in localisation, and obviously the vocal song in the ending would be replaced by an instrumental one in the US version.

QuoteI can't remember a single song being good except the beach song. Everything else was poor. They didn't even include the classic monster land final castle theme!! If tatsujin wasn't on the Facebook groups he'd be telling us all how the "great nick wood composed a masterpiece"
It's just personally taste, and I couldn't really get into the tinny sounds of the FM synth of the MD. Whether the musics are poor is quite subjective. And for the classic tracks, since I'm not familiar with the Wonderboy games I'm not sure how great they could be. The reason for changing (some of?) these music is obvious though, as the PCE version is not a Wonderboy game they probably wanted to strip as much references out as possible.

QuoteAll the bosses looked weird and out of place. And if Paranoia is correct then missing a boss is a big deal. The final boss was also neutered since the buzzsaw was removed.
Again this is more personal taste, and for the buzzsaw thing, it's misblamed, since the PCE version is a port of the original Japanese MD version, which doesn't have it. Personally I prefer easily beatable games to too challenging ones, so it's a blessing (to me) to have the game follow the easier version. I'm not sure whether the PCE version is missing a boss though as I couldn't remember.

QuoteThis wasn't just simple parallax. The snowy and underwater levels looked absolutely stunning. I was appalled when I tried the pce port, these beautiful scenes looked so flat and empty.
Maybe my memory is hazy, but as far as I remember they're not that special, at least not technically groundbreaking, so I don't miss them much (though it can be more due to personal prejudice; isn't this more the purpose of this thread?) but indeed Alfa System was lazy here, doubtlessly. Anyway, to each his own.

QuoteA vocal ending? Eh. I think we are reaching for straws here.
Yes. At least in the version I played.

QuoteIs dynastic hero a bad game? No it's fantastic. But there's practically no reason to play it over the original unless you're curious about the differences.
There is a reason if you only have a PCE, not a MD, like me. But yeah, I played both just for comparisons, and I still choose the PCE version over the original, though probably more due to personal bias.

esteban

I will not add fuel to the fire, since I vowed to follow my solemn Resolution, but some folks would argue that the character design/sprites in Dynastic Hero actually are quite nice and hold up very well compared to Wonderboy roots (and this is coming from folks who *love* Wonderboy).

csgx1

Interesting difference of opinions in this thread.

One game that I don't really care for is Star Parodier.  It's a beautiful looking game but the cute style, being too easy and the voices are kind of irritating to me.  It seems most cute shooters are not my thing except maybe Fantasy Zone.

Quote from: Medic_wheat on 12/31/2017, 11:31 AMMagica Chase.

I played and own the PCE version.

It's an okay game. However I found it not very challenging and I SUCK at shooters.

So for my to say it felt easy I can only imagine what people who are vastly more capable at shooters must think.

Also it's short. And not oh I picked the easy version and the game stopped is way asking me to play again but oh it's over?

R-Type I&II felt more challangjng and meatier to game content. And it was one of the first few games to come out I believe.
I agree, I don't really care for MC.  I played through the PCE version probably about 15+ years ago.  From what I remember the challenge level seemed okay, but was kind of boring.  Probably just the cute style shooters don't really appeal to me.  I definitely prefer R-Type or just about any other spaceship shooter.

Quote from: guest on 12/31/2017, 11:56 AM
Quote from: The Old Rover on 12/31/2017, 11:03 AMThe Legendary Axe. People go on and on about how great it is but I did not play this back in the day so I'm not nostalgic about it. I did not play it until many years later, and immediately saw it for the terribly-flawed mediocre game it really is.
If the legendary axe is mediocre, then castlevania on nes is terrible.

I love the axe and knowing when to use it. The full power strike is incredible. CRACK!!!

I'm not big on military madness. If there was an enemy turn skip feature, those hardass later levels wouldn't be as frustrating and long.
I never played Legendary Axe until about a couple years ago and it ended up becoming one of my favorites.  I agree, the full power strike is really awesome and satisfying when it connects. 

Military Madness is one of my all time favorites but I do agree there should have been an enemy turn skip option.  They probably didn't include it so the player won't miss any of the enemies movements/attacks to understand the overall enemy strategy.  I've just played through Neo Nectaris for the first time in the last few weeks and really enjoyed it.

nopepper

I think I should like Gunhed more than I do, but the first few levels really turn me off. Bumping up the difficulty helps in that regard, but then later levels are not as balanced as before. Still, it's a good game, so it only gets an (dis)honorable mention from me.

The one game series I feel I should like is Bonk. Great graphics, awesome music, responsive controls, lots of personality. But I just find the gameplay tedious and can't really ever get into a rhythm, so I usually play a couple of levels and move on.

seieienbu

Quote from: nopepper on 01/02/2018, 12:02 AMThe one game series I feel I should like is Bonk. Great graphics, awesome music, responsive controls, lots of personality. But I just find the gameplay tedious and can't really ever get into a rhythm, so I usually play a couple of levels and move on.
There was a time when I was the same.  At the tail end of the 32 bit era or maybe about when the Dreamcast was around I tried playing some turbo games again and couldn't get into Bonk at all.  I mostly disliked Bonk for a while because it doesn't feel like there's as much movement happening compared to Mario World or Sonic games from the 16 bit era.  Maybe it was that he can't straight up fly and there's no loops to run through or something.  Or perhaps it was just me being annoyed at the system I got as a kid not getting as much support or respect as the two that came just afterward.

I played them again a few years later, however, and found them charming and delightful.  I don't know what I was going on about as I find all 3 fun; they remind me of everything that I'd like a childhood adventure game to be.  I would wager there was about a 5 year gap in between playing and disliking then playing and enjoying the games.

grolt

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/02/2018, 11:07 PM
Quote from: nopepper on 01/02/2018, 12:02 AMThe one game series I feel I should like is Bonk. Great graphics, awesome music, responsive controls, lots of personality. But I just find the gameplay tedious and can't really ever get into a rhythm, so I usually play a couple of levels and move on.
There was a time when I was the same.  At the tail end of the 32 bit era or maybe about when the Dreamcast was around I tried playing some turbo games again and couldn't get into Bonk at all.  I mostly disliked Bonk for a while because it doesn't feel like there's as much movement happening compared to Mario World or Sonic games from the 16 bit era.  Maybe it was that he can't straight up fly and there's no loops to run through or something.  Or perhaps it was just me being annoyed at the system I got as a kid not getting as much support or respect as the two that came just afterward.

I played them again a few years later, however, and found them charming and delightful.  I don't know what I was going on about as I find all 3 fun; they remind me of everything that I'd like a childhood adventure game to be.  I would wager there was about a 5 year gap in between playing and disliking then playing and enjoying the games.
I've always had a hard time warming to the BONK series too.  I always revered it back in the day, and when I would play the odd level at a friend's house I'd like it, but like with nopepper, I could never really get a rhythm when playing the full game on my own.  I'd like everything I was seeing - the assortment of characters with a lot of animation and personality (and cross-dressing!) and the very responsive control and collision detection, but yeah, I don't know, I'm always just kind of indifferent after a bit and wanting to stop and pop in something else.  The Turbo was kind of platformer-starved, so I really should be grateful for the three Bonks, but I'm still not quite there yet.  I'm sure in time I'll get sucked in.
I'm a notorious strange man.

PukeSter

Bonk 2 is an outstanding game with an insane amount of replay value. There's a buttload of secrets and the scoring system is really in depth. It definitely is too easy but then again, Sonic 2 lets you get a bazillion continues.

Bonk 1 is great fun but it was developed in 3 months. You can tell it's a bit rushed but it has heart and fun.

Bonk 3 and super bonk were developed by a no name company, and both games have issues in different ways. Neither takes the series forward by much

Super bonk 2 takes the good stuff from bonk 2, mainly level design and collectibles, and vastly improves transformations. It even brings back mini bosses! If it weren't for the lame final area, the lengthy bonus levels and some of the music I would put it at the top.

turboswimbz

Bonk's revenge is the best in the series. 

Play it and only it.  it has the proper spinning and head butt. I also enjoy the story line here.

That is all.

NecroPhile

I like too many games, even when most others dislike 'em.  If it's something I don't particularly care for (like Deep Blue or Time Ball), I'm not alone with my distaste.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/03/2018, 09:58 AMI like too many games, even when most others dislike 'em.  If it's something I don't particularly care for (like Deep Blue or Time Ball), I'm not alone with my distaste.
Following my New Year's Resolution, I will not defend the unjustly and unfairly ridiculed Timeball, which is a solid puzzle game that is quite enjoyable and satisfying.

NecroPhile

My biggest problem with it is that I'm too dumb and slow to get more than two or three boards in.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

esteban

Quote from: guest on 01/03/2018, 10:45 AMMy biggest problem with it is that I'm too dumb and slow to get more than two or three boards in.
I hear you.

I don't actually like most "shuffle puzzle" games (physical or digital), but Timeball solves this problem by distracting me with the IMPENDING DOOM of a cracked ball. I don't know why this changes things for me, but it is significant. It makes the game super-fun instead of frustrating.

A simple TIMER alone would not make a difference for me. The rolling ball of PERPETUAL DOOM is what makes it work.

grolt

Quote from: esteban on 01/03/2018, 10:27 AM
Quote from: guest on 01/03/2018, 09:58 AMI like too many games, even when most others dislike 'em.  If it's something I don't particularly care for (like Deep Blue or Time Ball), I'm not alone with my distaste.
Following my New Year's Resolution, I will not defend the unjustly and unfairly ridiculed Timeball, which is a solid puzzle game that is quite enjoyable and satisfying.

You take TIMEBALL, I'll defend DEEP BLUE.  I love the underwater setting, the huge sprites and the different kind of strategy that encourages you to be evasive rather than always on the attack.  It's probably clouded partially by nostalgia of having owned it as a kid, but I still like to swim around in that world from time to time for some playthroughs.  The endless loop of repeating levels after you finish the game proper is a drag, but I do like how classy the FIN death screen is, it's kind of like the ECCO games that way.  Totally get the hate though, I know I've been shit on before for my opinion on DEEP BLUE, but I do legitimately like that game.

esteban

Quote from: grolt on 01/03/2018, 12:12 PM
Quote from: esteban on 01/03/2018, 10:27 AM

You take TIMEBALL, I'll defend DEEP BLUE.  I love the underwater setting, the huge sprites and the different kind of strategy that encourages you to be evasive rather than always on the attack.  It's probably clouded partially by nostalgia of having owned it as a kid, but I still like to swim around in that world from time to time for some playthroughs.  The endless loop of repeating levels after you finish the game proper is a drag, but I do like how classy the FIN death screen is, it's kind of like the ECCO games that way.  Totally get the hate though, I know I've been shit on before for my opinion on DEEP BLUE, but I do legitimately like that game.
I'm glad you posted this because, over the years, a bunch of folks have posted things that helped me understand Deep Blue as a non-traditional game (for its time).  I have recently been willing (trying) to give it another chance to be appreciated (on *any* level).

For example, my 6-year-old twins, not knowing any better, did *not* immediately hate Deep Blue. In fact, they have been turned off by many shootemups, but not Deep Blue.

I don't think Deep Blue's music is stellar (listening to it independently), but in-game, the music complements the atmosphere, stages, "boss fights" (or should I say squid stampedes?) and does the job adequately.

Little details I *do* like (akin to the "fin" you mentioned) are the animated bubbles that keep cycling when the game pauses, or the "fade to gray" effect, and the modest "parallax" effect achieved at certain points...

I like the stops sub and the fact that its name is A. N. G. E. L.

I think that Deep Blue does, successfully, foster a certain atmosphere that I like and find charming. 

HATRED: I know *part* of my hatred stems from the fact that I paid $$$$ for Deep Blue in the 90's and was *expecting* a standard shootemup, perhaps a clone of Darius (fish theme). I am actually not the biggest fan of the Darius series, but still....

So, I BUY ONE GET ONE 1/2 price (or some similar offer from tzd mail order and what did I fucking choose?

Bravoman
Deep Blue

Fuck me.

Receiving and playing those two games, when I had SO MANY BETTER GAMES TO BUY, was the most disappointing moment in my TG-16 experience.

I don't know if I will find room in my heart for Bravoman anytime soon, but Deep Blue has a chance.

grolt

Well put, este, and I've always said, if LL Cool J can rap about it, then it must be a good game.
"Deepest Bluest (Shark's Fin)" [Deep Blue Sea] - LL Cool J

ToyMachine78

So much blasphemy in this thread. I had to stop reading. Rovers post threw me over the edge lol

OldTurboBastard

Deep Blue was one of those that always looked really cool to me in the magazine shots, but i never got to play it...then when I was able to play it years later, I was not a fan ... but not like i played through the whole game so shouldn't judge too harshly.
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 01/03/2018, 01:37 PMI'll just come out and say it:

Dungeon Explorer (1 & 2)

I love RPGs, I love the visuals and music... But I'm just so damn terrible at these games that I don't have as much fun playing them as I feel I should have.
I feel like I've gotta ask: have you played them with a group of friends?

esteban

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/03/2018, 02:29 PM
Quote from: guest on 01/03/2018, 01:37 PMI'll just come out and say it:

Dungeon Explorer (1 & 2)

I love RPGs, I love the visuals and music... But I'm just so damn terrible at these games that I don't have as much fun playing them as I feel I should have.
I feel like I've gotta ask: have you played them with a group of friends?
I beat DE 1&2 solo and with friends. So much fun, in different ways, taking both routes.

I find Gauntlet (solo and with friends) to be much more difficult and challenging to beat than DE 1/2.

VERDICT:  Nulltard must play Gauntlet.

seieienbu

That's too bad.  But....do you at least enjoy the music?

I love Dungeon Explorer, but above all else the soundtrack to the game is what really draws me in.

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

esteban

Ex_Mosquito

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 01/03/2018, 05:04 PMSideArms and SideArms Special are both poo.

That is all.
The thing about an option like that is, I can choose to ignore it! :)

Gypsy

NoSexGex

GohanX

I never could get into Lords of Thunder. I traded it for some psp stuff back when that seemed to be a good idea.