10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Discman spindle and motor in CD-ROM²

Started by Ergot_Cholera, 01/18/2018, 01:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ergot_Cholera

I know this is commonly done. I have a few Discmans that I took lasers from and have the rest spare so I thought I would try the spindle and motor in a CD-ROM² instead of the original magnet version. HOW DO YOU REMOVE THE SPINDLE AND MOTOR FROM A DISCMAN??
 There are no holes in the spindle part to insert the screwdriver through to remove the screws. Are they attached by some other method that I am unaware of?

Psycho Punch

Can you do it on a PCE Duo too? I've always wondered that.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

SignOfZeta

I assume from how you are describing it the spindle is pressed on.
IMG

Keith Courage

That's a pressed on spindle top. You need to grab a small pair of needle nose pliers and then pry downwards towards the spindle motor thus pushing the spindle top up. If you try to just pry upwards you will snap /break the spindle top.

Ergot_Cholera

I tried it with some needle nosed pliers and it did indeed come off, although a piece of the plastic came off also. Perhaps my pliers weren't needley enough.
The fact that the part that holds the disc just presses onto the motor spindle seems a bit crap to be honest, seeing as it is spinning at speed.

Keith Courage

Quote from: guest on 01/21/2018, 01:47 PMI tried it with some needle nosed pliers and it did indeed come off, although a piece of the plastic came off also. Perhaps my pliers weren't needley enough.
The fact that the part that holds the disc just presses onto the motor spindle seems a bit crap to be honest, seeing as it is spinning at speed.
Bummer man, I too have broken my fair share of these in the past before I figured out the best way to remove them without doing so.

I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure ps1 and dreamcast top spindles will work as well. I think I used one in the past but can't remember for sure. So you could always just order one of those instead. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Replacement-CD-Spindle-for-Sony-Playstation-1-PS-One/282750520032?hash=item41d53e8ae0:g:ZggAAOSw0wRaG9RQ

Maybe someone else can chime in and say yes or no.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 01/18/2018, 05:58 PMCan you do it on a PCE Duo too? I've always wondered that.
I guess since no one replied there isn't a spindle replacement for the HOP-M3.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp