10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Does anyone like the New England Patriots?

Started by xcrement5x, 01/22/2018, 03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

xcrement5x

If so, can you please give me a compelling reason as to why?
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

NecroPhile

Ha!  I don't like 'em but neither am I an active hater.  My only hate is for the Seahawks, because fuck scumbag Pete.

I'm not a rabid fan, but I'll watch and root for the Vikings if they're on when I'm watching.  It was tough watching 'em yesterday.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

SignOfZeta

Man, football is the worst. All of it. From concussed 8 year olds to Greek Life, to OJ Simson to fat angry dudes walking around in sweatshop gear with another grown ass man's name on the back. It sucks to high heaven and is a blight on American society. The players, the owners, the stadium owners, NFL management, fuck all of them.

Also, if there is a slower sport I'd like to hear what it is. Your first three guesses are wrong so please try harder. We're looking for a sport where "action" is less than %10 of a TV broadcast to even come close and I'm pretty fucking sure the NFL is alone on this.
IMG

jperryss

I live in Patriots county and I hate them. I root for whoever they're playing against.

Also 95% of their fans are giant man-babies.

turboswimbz

Nah can't say that I do, Not to say what they've done isn't impressive, but I just am not a fan

Also I quite like football, and I'm okay with the 11-15 minutes of actual play. 

that being said I still think golf is worse to watch in that regard, even the action is slow paced.  here's a fun table though.  notice that the two most popular are also devoid of the most action.

Sport   Clock Duration   Amt of Action   % of Action   
Baseball   2hrs 56mins   17mins, 58secs   10.21%      
Football   3hrs 10mins   11mins   5.79%   
Soccer   1hr 55mins   57.6mins   50.09%   
Basketball   2hrs 18mins   48mins   34.78%   
Hockey   2hrs 20mins   60mins   42.86%   

Table Article link:  http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=475  - studies for each linked at bottom of article.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

seieienbu

I dislike football.  With that said?  I like the Packers because they're actually owned by Green Bay.  The team is owned by the community in which they play; I respect that and am glad for the town for doing that.  They can't hold the town for ransom and threaten to leave if they don't get a new stadium every few years.  The money doesn't go to some asshole; it actually goes to public good.  I was super angry a few years ago when Dallas paid $1.2 billion dollars for a new Cowboys stadium and my friends kept talking about how much revenue it would bring in to the town.  Absolutely bullshit.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/22/2018, 03:49 PMMan, football is the worst. All of it. From concussed 8 year olds to Greek Life, to OJ Simson to fat angry dudes walking around in sweatshop gear with another grown ass man's name on the back. It sucks to high heaven and is a blight on American society. The players, the owners, the stadium owners, NFL management, fuck all of them.

Also, if there is a slower sport I'd like to hear what it is. Your first three guesses are wrong so please try harder. We're looking for a sport where "action" is less than %10 of a TV broadcast to even come close and I'm pretty fucking sure the NFL is alone on this.
Golf.. oh wait you said sport.
--DragonmasterDan

Gredler

Quote from: turboswimbz on 01/22/2018, 04:54 PMNah can't say that I do, Not to say what they've done isn't impressive, but I just am not a fan

that being said I still think golf is worse to watch in that regard, even the action is slow paced.  here's a fun table though.  notice that the two most popular are also devoid of the most action.

Table Article link:  http://www.nationalsarmrace.com/?p=475  - studies for each linked at bottom of article.
Hockey wins, it's the best sport.

Soccer would be a close second considering the amount of action, if it were not played by actors trying to win Oscars whenever a piece of paper brushes by them.

seieienbu

Soccer is the worst.  Even when they aren't flopping like a fish in a boat I swear that the "action" is just people holding a ball and killing time.  I think you could fix the game if you didn't have like 2 defenders for every forward and didn't give one of the defenders magical game breaking super powers.

If you remove the goalie I think suddenly soccer becomes a game I'd like to watch.

NecroPhile

Remove the goalie and add a few land mines.

seieienbu

They've tried that.  Looks interesting.

NecroPhile

Not that it was in doubt before, but I'm definitely going to hell for laughing at that.

Gredler

I was referring to action from that above chart, not real "action".

Soccer is actually the worst, followed by basketball, and baseball.

Hockey takes the top 3 spots on best sports with or without including roller hockey, and sled hockey.

Also, does anyone remember beach hockey? That came (and went) in my back yard, and I loved watching it as a kid and always remember wanting to play.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 01/22/2018, 05:14 PM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/22/2018, 03:49 PMMan, football is the worst. All of it. From concussed 8 year olds to Greek Life, to OJ Simson to fat angry dudes walking around in sweatshop gear with another grown ass man's name on the back. It sucks to high heaven and is a blight on American society. The players, the owners, the stadium owners, NFL management, fuck all of them.

Golf.. oh wait you said sport.
Nope. PGA beats [edit] NFL handily as far as the "ball in motion" goes. You won't find another sport. Curling, chess, nothing with as much downtime as an NFL game. Watching normal NFL is like watching any other sport when it's rained out. The Wall Street Journal's analysis came up with an average of 11 minutes of action per game. You're watching at least three times that in commercials. These guys are making $1000 per footprint to beat their families and run over homeless people in their SUVs without realizing it. Disgusting.
IMG

NecroPhile

PGA beats PGA handily.  You heard it here first!  :lol:

I don't give a fuck if there's only 11 minutes of action.  It's still more entertaining than 3 hours of golf.

esteban

Quote from: Gredler on 01/22/2018, 06:15 PMI was referring to action from that above chart, not real "action".

Soccer is actually the worst, followed by basketball, and baseball.

Hockey takes the top 3 spots on best sports with or without including roller hockey, and sled hockey.

Also, does anyone remember beach hockey? That came (and went) in my back yard, and I loved watching it as a kid and always remember wanting to play.
WTF?

I never heard of this before.

2-point goals?

WTF?

The folks interviewed on the bleachers were awesome, though.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Gredler

Yeah ESPN Pro Beach Hockey was a thing down here for a while, tried to compete with RHI (Professional roller hockey.)

During the early/mid 90's they were really trying to get hockey going down here, and there were not a lot of rinks, so "Street hockey" turned into "roller hockey" which branched into "beach hockey".

Roller hockey uses specific pucks that have changed over the years,
going from these:
HockeySpeedPucks.webp

to these (after a bunch of shitty wierd "innovations" and attempts between, these have been standard for about 5-10 years)
rocket-puck-black.webp

As you probably saw if you watched the video, Beach Hockey used a ball, and that thing you can put a TON of english on it, almost like lacrosse where you can make the ball's flight path curve dip and elevate depending on the spin you put on the ball. This is somewhat possible with hockey pucks, but requires a great distance to get any sort of bend to the flight path. The ball however, that thing was squirrelie and you can score from wherever with it using changeups and curveballs and stuff, so they added "two point goals" where if you scored from outside of the massive crease you were awarded 2 goals.

As a goaltender I hate ball hockey because of the curve, but it makes for some exciting viewing. A lot of those beach hockey players also played in the RHI and AHL/IHL/WCHL - some went up to NHL briefly. I know quite a few of those guys, as they still play today - it's fun to hear them reminisce about those days.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: turboswimbz on 01/22/2018, 04:54 PMNah can't say that I do, Not to say what they've done isn't impressive, but I just am not a fan

Because I actually hate all sports I don't really know what I'm talking about but having played soccer video games and watched them on TV I have trouble understanding that stat. Soccer is 45 each way plus stoppage and shootouts. Doesn't that mean it more or less has to have 90+ minutes every time?
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: NecroPhile on 01/22/2018, 05:36 PMRemove the goalie and add a few land mines.
and make the goal half the size, and rotating.

and make the ball a bowling ball so only the strong survive.

Football is fucking garbage.  It's boring to watch.  The fans lose their minds over a bunch of millionaires not winning (hint: win or lose, you get nothing.  nothing changes).

Pretty much every professional version of a sport is shit like this.   

It's all a bunch of overpaid peckerwoods being cheered on by fans who cry over stupid shit, get into fist fights or worse at games, and the whole thing's just a clusterfuck.  it sucks when that shit bleeds into rec leagues in the suburbs.   All these manchildren shitting over not winning a plastic trophy that says they were better at softball than the other fat middle aged retards.  oh no.

The Browns income doesn't help our city.   It'd be cool if those cunts did something besides buy 3 houses.

I sometimes will watch sports for brief moments when family has them on during the holidays. 

Football is literally the most boring shit to watch.   There's penalties every 2 seconds.  Nothing happens.  15 minutes of game time is like 4 hours of real life.  It's a bunch of dudes ramming together like drunks, and sometimes some long throws that maybe get caught.   and lots of replays of the boring shit.

At least basketball has some neat action going on and not a lot of stopping to fuck off.

Hockey is most entertaining because of the skating and the rough-housing, along with baseball and like, tennis.   They don't pause / call time outs/ penalties/ bullshit.  They just play.  Sometimes they bitch about a call in baseball, but it's not like football.

OH HE TOUCHED A HELMET WRONG, PENALTY.  GO BACK THERE AND TRY AGAIN OH WAIT YOU TOOK 3 STEPS BEFORE THE WHISTLE AND NOW YOU HAVE TO GO BACK SOME MORE OH SWEET JESUS YOU KNEELED WRONG.  GET ON THE BENCH YOU CUNT.

Watching little league baseball is more entertaining than the MLB.   Japanese baseball is more entertaining, too.    that's mostly because of the teams/mascots/chanting.

anyway, fuck the patriots.  their logo is stupid and their uniforms look gay.

EDIT: Also, baseballs lack of "action" based off the time it takes is a bit misleading.  Baseball is a weird sport.  There's a lot of waiting and some portions of the field do nothing for awhile.   People have designated spots, so it's more like a live-action strategy game lol.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

crazydean

Quote from: jperryss on 01/22/2018, 04:06 PMAlso 95% of their fans are giant man-babies.
I'm pretty sure you could say that about football fans in general.

I do have a few serious sports-related questions, though. Like, what makes it ok to wear a shirt that looks exactly like another man's with his name on it? That seems like some really gay, submissive shit to me.

Also, why do people associate themselves with the team? Are their own accomplishments so small or non-existent that they must pretend they are somehow a part of the team? I really don't understand where "my team" and "we won" comes from.

I really just don't understand how someone can have a hobby which doesn't involve them whatsoever. Maybe you guys can help me out here.

Gredler

Wow, sounds like the conesensous is screw football and hockey is great? I can get down with that, drop the puck baby the PCEFX Vega$ tournament is back on

sirhcman

Quote from: guest on 01/22/2018, 03:03 PMIf so, can you please give me a compelling reason as to why?
They have better fans than Philadelphia. That is reason enough for me to root for them (or against the Eagles)

NecroPhile

Heh, lots of butthurt anti-football whiners here.

Gypsy

Quote from: guest on 01/23/2018, 09:26 AMHeh, lots of butthurt anti-football whiners here.
On a forum full of old anime and Japanese video game fans, I'm not surprised.

esteban

Is this thread about the semi-professional badminton team based in Hartford, CT?

If so, then yes, I love supporting my Patriots.

Always. And Forever.

turboswimbz

BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

turboswimbz

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/22/2018, 08:43 PM
Quote from: turboswimbz on 01/22/2018, 04:54 PMSport   Clock Duration   Amt of Action   % of Action   

Because I actually hate all sports I don't really know what I'm talking about but having played soccer video games and watched them on TV I have trouble understanding that stat. Soccer is 45 each way plus stoppage and shootouts. Doesn't that mean it more or less has to have 90+ minutes every time?
The clock runs constantly in the highest levels, and time is not always added to stoppage for all the throw in's, when the goalie holds the ball etc. in fact the referees just add whatever the heck they want to the end and just call the end when the action stops.  Most of those stats for all the sports get real specific about these things.  like when you watch baseball, seeing the pitcher get signs and what not is part of the game, but not included in the "action time"  same thing with huddles, audibles, etc.

JoshTurboTrollX

Go Packers.

Football is like a D&D battle. You call your action and roll. Like a coach calling a play and hoping he doesn't "fumble". I like the pacing. I don't see the hatred for it, it's a cool sport and enjoyable to play (flag) and watch.
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

xcrement5x

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 01/23/2018, 12:33 PMGo Packers.

Football is like a D&D battle. You call your action and roll. Like a coach calling a play and hoping he doesn't "fumble". I like the pacing. I don't see the hatred for it, it's a cool sport and enjoyable to play (flag) and watch.
I enjoy watching football sometimes but I do have a lot of concerns with how damaging it is to players long term.  CTE seems to be a pretty scary thing, and the fact that we're introducing high school athletes to the sport as well seems ill advised.  In the long term I'm not sure if american football will survive as is.
Demented Clone Warrior Consensus: "My pirated forum clone is superior/more "moral" than yours, neener neener neener..."  ](*,)

Gredler

Quote from: turboswimbz on 01/23/2018, 11:21 AMbikini football
add hockey helmets to sport = makes sport better, I see what you're saying

wildfruit

Your American football is bewildering to me. I did used to like staying up all night to watch hockey games though when they used to be broadcast here on tv live. One game a week. Sometimes 2. I remember watching New Jersey win the Stanley cup in 2000 and the avalanche in 2001. Great times. I don't care for sports these days. At all.
Try rugby union, it stops play less than American football.

Pfloydguy2

Quote from: JoshTurboTrollX-16 on 01/23/2018, 12:33 PMGo Packers.
This.  Living in Green Bay, WI, I don't really have much choice but to be a Packer fan.  Although I think it has more to do with my upbringing than environment.

I didn't watch much football this year though.  A few of the Packers did the seated national anthem protest at the start of the first regulation game, and that was all I needed to turn off the TV.  I missed rooting for the Pack, but it was kinda nice having 3 extra hours each weekend.

bob

Quote from: Pfloydguy2 on 01/24/2018, 03:20 PMI didn't watch much football this year though.  A few of the Packers did the seated national anthem protest at the start of the first regulation game, and that was all I needed to turn off the TV.
god i hate this whole discussion.  caring either way gives it some level of validity.
when it comes down to it, it's about colin kaper-prick.  a shitty back up quarterback.
if you want to use a platform you have access to, at least be somewhat "ok" at what you do.

SignOfZeta

Quote from: guest on 01/23/2018, 09:26 AMHeh, lots of butthurt anti-football whiners here.
Given that football and rape are famous for going hand in hand I'm not surprised. It's too bad you think that ass rape is funny though. I hope an NFL-er accidentally drives his Lexus through your fucking TV, you alpha worshiping toadie.

[edit] You probably like cops.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Quote from: turboswimbz on 01/23/2018, 11:28 AM
Quote from: SignOfZeta on 01/22/2018, 08:43 PM
Quote from: turboswimbz on 01/22/2018, 04:54 PMSport   Clock Duration   Amt of Action   % of Action   

The clock runs constantly in the highest levels, and time is not always added to stoppage for all the throw in's, when the goalie holds the ball etc. in fact the referees just add whatever the heck they want to the end and just call the end when the action stops.  Most of those stats for all the sports get real specific about these things.  like when you watch baseball, seeing the pitcher get signs and what not is part of the game, but not included in the "action time"  same thing with huddles, audibles, etc.
Interesting. I guess maybe we need a different system for assigning boredom levels. My issue with football is when the clock is definetly running and literally the ref is holding the damned ball. That is %100 sure not "action" and is actually the sport almost totally with some guys falling down over and over and over again having only moved the ball less distance than even a pussy like me could just throw because of a rules system designed for pure violence and a glacial pace. One side only scores once and the other twice (same as soccer) and then somehow $150M has been spent. I don't know how anyone could enjoy this without a lot of booze and DVR unless their asshole dads just beat them over the head indoctrinating them from birth to think every other sport was "for fags".

Oh yeah...
IMG

bob

turboswimbz

Zeta, I get the football argument, I love the matchup of the games at each position so it doesn't bother me, but If I had no interest in it, literally it'd be terrible to watch. this is why I don't watch baseball.  I find I can follow most other sports without issue.

I have a theory of why people love football.  . . it's for the same reason people love watching car races.  most of the time it's boring but there are these moments of pure violence, action, extraordinary circumstances, that they are glued just waiting for them.

maybe I overthink though

seieienbu

Quote from: bob on 01/24/2018, 07:19 PMyou didnt like tecmo bowl?
Tecmo bowl is sick.  A buddy of mine went to a fighting game tournament a few years back that had a mystery game tournament where every round was a different game.  In the finals he played against another dude in Tecmo Bowl with roster updates to the previous year.  If memory serves, he won $1,600 by picking the previous year's Super Bowl winner and going to town.

turboswimbz

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/24/2018, 09:01 PM
Quote from: bob on 01/24/2018, 07:19 PMyou didnt like tecmo bowl?
Tecmo bowl is sick.  A buddy of mine went to a fighting game tournament a few years back that had a mystery game tournament where every round was a different game.  In the finals he played against another dude in Tecmo Bowl with roster updates to the previous year.  If memory serves, he won $1,600 by picking the previous year's Super Bowl winner and going to town.
IF your so inclinded tecmobowl.org updates a rom each year so you can stay up to date!

here is it being used to predict SB52.  It's actually worth watching Q4 :).

NecroPhile

I sometimes wonder if zippy has to practice at being an ignorant cunt or if he comes by it naturally.

Gredler

I do find it amazing how Zeta jumps to point the finger a large groups of people based on the actions of few, he would make a good racist. I guess everyone in entertainment are rapists as well, every game developer is a pot head, every musician is a heroine addict, every person in political power is corrupt, every person posting on this forum has no friends or life, what other stereotypes can we judge entire groups of people by?

turboswimbz

Quote from: Gredler on 01/25/2018, 02:33 PMI do find it amazing how Zeta jumps to point the finger a large groups of people based on the actions of few, he would make a good racist. I guess everyone in entertainment are rapists as well, every game developer is a pot head, every musician is a heroine addict, every person in political power is corrupt, every person posting on this forum has no friends or life, what other stereotypes can we judge entire groups of people by?
To answer that last rhetorical
All Patriots Fans want to make out with Tom Brad?

NecroPhile

Quote from: Gredler on 01/25/2018, 02:33 PMI guess everyone in entertainment are rapists as well, every game developer is a pot head, every musician is a heroine addict, every person in political power is corrupt, every person posting on this forum has no friends or life, what other stereotypes can we judge entire groups of people by?
That everyone that drives a Miata is homosexual?  :lol:

xcrement5x

Gypsy

bob

poor zeets.  he just wants to feel "different", so you dont accidentally paint HIM with a broad stroke of any kind.  That is truly his fear.  He tries to stick n' move as some kind of defense mechanism.
If this topic started out with "I HATE FOOTBALL...discuss", he would be the first one to point out all the great things about the sport.  Its a family legacy for people who grew up watching, the GOOD community efforts of many players, and that one time in 1979 when a make-a-wish kid got to a game because of an act of kindness from a player.  these would be the only examples he would need to designate football as the best and most unifying sport EVER!
again, all of that is IF the thread started out as a knock against the sport.
Whatever the topic of any kind, you can be sure he has a long, ignorant, opposite stance, pulled out of thin air, back seats of mazdas, or trent reznor voices inside his casio drum machine(s)

esteban

Zeta = Minister of Rant

I think he's hilarious, even if I don't agree with him. He has some really great lines. He commits fully to his rant, and just builds and builds.

That said, I understand if other folks don't like him. Zeta has a bit of le mépris (contempt, hatred) for humanity.

He is our Resident Misanthrope.

I am OK with him.

But I love everyone, even Nintega (because he is from NJ).

*so you can't trust my judgement*

seieienbu

As long as we're complaining about sports, man, the last minute on the clock in a reasonably close basketball game is maybe the low point of professional athletics.  The game stops being about anything but correct usage of fouls and timeouts and stops even remotely resembling the game that I'd intended to watch.  I think basketball would be a better game if you had to call the foul yourself for it to count.  If I was a player heading up the lane who was fouled I'd probably think something along the lines of "I don't care that he brushed up against me, just let me sink this shot and get my points so that we can move on already."

bob

Quote from: seieienbu on 01/25/2018, 06:48 PMAs long as we're complaining about sports, man, the last minute on the clock in a reasonably close basketball game is maybe the low point of professional athletics.  The game stops being about anything but correct usage of fouls and timeouts and stops even remotely resembling the game that I'd intended to watch.  I think basketball would be a better game if you had to call the foul yourself for it to count.  If I was a player heading up the lane who was fouled I'd probably think something along the lines of "I don't care that he brushed up against me, just let me sink this shot and get my points so that we can move on already."
last two minutes are tortue.  too many time outs per team.  see... there is one good thing about football.
you commit a penalty in those last couple minutes, they run 10 seconds off the clock to DISCOURAGE it.
(you can thank the pats for that rule too)

ToyMachine78

Nope... I've hated them ever since living with my freshman college roomate Eric Lutz lol