Necromancer Resurrected! No, not our psycho moderator, the game!!

Started by NightWolve, 02/01/2018, 07:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NightWolve

nintendo.com/games/detail/necromancer-wii-u

Necromancer-01.jpg
Necromancer-02.jpg 

QuoteEnjoy a world of mysteries.

Necromancer is a horror RPG released for the TurboGrafx-16 in 1988. You are a hero who heads out on an adventure with two other allies in order to search for the Evil Holy Sword "Necromancer" to defeat an evil force that is about to take over the Kingdom of Ishmaelia. Defeat enemies to level up and travel the land to gather information about the Evil Holy Sword "Necromancer."

You will be able to choose your two allies among five possible candidates at the castle which is the starting point of the game. Each ally possesses different abilities so choose them wisely and make sure that you progress the game with each character's specialty in mind.

Virtual Console
This classic game is part of the Virtual Console service, which brings you great games created for consoles such as NES™, Super NES™ and Game Boy™ Advance. We hope you'll enjoy the new features (including off-TV play) that have been added to this title. See more Virtual Console games for Wii U.

Platform Wii U
Release Date Feb 01, 2018
No. of Players 1 player
Category Role-Playing, Adventure
Publisher Konami
Price: $5.99
Untranslated though, in pure, original, 100% preserved Japanese for the truest of retro experiences, so uh, thanks for the halfway effort Konami! ;)

MNKyDeth

Did someone say erotic?!!

The most erotic thing I do to my TG16/PCE every time I play it is insert something! :D

Awesome that its on the wii-u.... Bad that I don't own one. Also I can't read moonrunes yet. :(

cccmar

Oh, look - Konami released the very first PCE JRPG in the West (for its 30th b-day, I assume)... and it's untranslated? Way to go, shows how much they care about their PCE property. :P Still, gotta agree - it sure is the truest retro experience this way; after all, real men don't play in English! xD

esteban

Quote from: cccmar on 02/02/2018, 03:08 AMOh, look - Konami released the very first PCE JRPG in the West (for its 30th b-day, I assume)... and it's untranslated? Way to go, shows how much they care about their PCE property. :P Still, gotta agree - it sure is the truest retro experience this way; after all, real men don't play in English! xD
Yeah, nobody is paying attention.

I think it's about 30 year anniversary, too.

Which reminds me:
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

turboswimbz

wikipedia has a release date of Jan 22 1988 -> so just about 30 years.

I wonder IF all these virtual console releases well after most companies have stopped amount to anything:

Some funny things Konami has done, specifically in relation to Hudson properties:

1) Trademark Turbografx-16 in the US
2) Release most of the PCE titles here in the US after the switch release and when support is dropping
3) Released a game not in English in NA
4) not just a Hudson/PCE thing but there has been quite a bit more "video game" items on their English social media accounts

I wonder if these are just strange things that are all independent or if they are switching things up moving forward. . .
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

NecroPhile

Like I said in the other thread, it's odd that they bothered to bring that one out here and untranslated.  It must not cost them much to list games (or Nintendo will automatically roll 'em over into the Switch's online thingy whenever they get around to launching it), for surely sales on Wii-U aren't robust enough to pay back much investment.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Xanadu Gaiden

It's pretty amazing such an obscure game gets picked for the e-shop! Pity that it's untranslated, but us westerners  can be freaked out by the intro-face anyway!

cccmar

Quote from: Xanadu Gaiden on 02/02/2018, 09:29 AMIt's pretty amazing such an obscure game gets picked for the e-shop! Pity that it's untranslated, but us westerners  can be freaked out by the intro-face anyway!
From what I've read, it's actually a pretty well-known game... in Japan, that is. Makes sense, considering that it's the first HuCard RPG, and there weren't that many HuCard RPGs overall. I guess fan-translators generally don't want to deal with Huffman compression in this case. I doubt that even at the 6-7 dollar price tag this pays back the investment for them, considering RPGs generally require at least some knowledge of the language (in most cases much more than that) to get anywhere.

NecroPhile

There is a partial fan translation for it.  He managed to translate character names, menus, item/armor/weapon names, and the like but couldn't figure out the compression used on dialogue.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

turboswimbz

Yeah I'm pretty sure this game is widely known in Japan.  I've played parts of it, but I never have enough umpf to watch a play-through and make my way through it. seems to kill the idea of the game to me.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

jlued686

Untranslated for a dead console. I just don't get it, but..YAY?

seieienbu

Ugh.  I want to support the system and all, but man, that's about how much the game actually costs.  And it's a non-translated RPG.

Konami really makes some dumb moves...
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

exodus

and it's on the Wii U of all things. what a weird time.

dshadoff

The irony is not lost on me.

Necromancer = one who communicates with the dead, and may summon them or bring them back from the dead.

...like this game release.

jtucci31

If only it was translated, that would be so cool. Also really really hope they put out tons of PCE games on Switch if and when that ever happens. Man would that be sweet.

Cool to see they're still doing this stuff though. I think. Maybe?

ToyMachine78

esteban

Quote from: dshadoff on 02/03/2018, 10:31 AMThe irony is not lost on me.

Necromancer = one who communicates with the dead, and may summon them or bring them back from the dead.

Hahahahahahhajaha!

Thank you for pointing that out.

:)

Who knew Konami was actually brilliant in their subtle, nuanced strategy with discontinued consoles.

Quote from: guest on 02/03/2018, 12:46 PMIf only it was translated, that would be so cool. Also really really hope they put out tons of PCE games on Switch if and when that ever happens. Man would that be sweet.

Cool to see they're still doing this stuff though. I think. Maybe?
Virtual Console games will begin being released for the Switch 5 years from now, after Nintendo has released SwitchU.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: esteban on 02/04/2018, 12:26 PM

Hahahahahahhajaha!

Who knew Konami was actually brilliant in their subtle, nuanced strategy with discontinued consoles.
Somewhere deep into Konami's slave dungeon offices there's an intern in a dusty empty room labeled "HUDSON" thinking to himself "Damn I'm clever, I hope my boss notices how smart I am so he can promote me and give me the keys so I can open the only exit. *looks at skeleton* don't worry 16shot-senpai, we're almost out."
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

Quote from: esteban on 02/04/2018, 12:26 PM

Hahahahahahhajaha!

Somewhere deep into Konami's slave dungeon offices there's an intern in a dusty empty room labeled "HUDSON" thinking to himself "Damn I'm clever, I hope my boss notices how smart I am so he can promote me and give me the keys so I can open the only exit. *looks at skeleton* don't worry 16shot-senpai, we're almost out."
HahahahhahhJ!

+100 Zenny

You had me at 16shot-senpai...

NightWolve

Yeah, forgot about returning to this thread, there are so many jokes you could come up with off the situation... It's just WEIRD, all of a sudden picking THIS one...