@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Everdrive Fail

Started by ds1724, 02/02/2018, 09:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ds1724

So after waiting 9 weeks I finally got my Turbo Everdrive.  Andddd it doesn't work.  I just get the white screen.  US Duo not modded, formatted the sd card and everything, just doesn't work.  Very dissappointed as it appears now I'll have to send it back to the other side of the world.

I also swore I saw that it supported ALL games which would include CD ISOs but now I'm reading it doesn't?

Wasn't there another similar thing out there somewhere that supports everything?  I remember it wasn't cheap but maybe I'll get that instead.

SamIAm

Is the region switch on the Everdrive set properly?

I don't know where you would have read that it supports CD ISOs, but it's definitely never been advertised that way. It's literally impossible to build something that plays CD games through the Hucard port.

Hope you get it working, anyway.

Killjoyy027

Check the side of the everdrive it has a small black switch, flip it and hopefully it works.

Johnpv

Also make sure you have the OS file in the right folder on the SD card.

Keith Courage

yeah, make sure you got the OS file needed on the SD card. I had this problem when I first worked with a V2 everdrive. Didn't realize it needed an OS/bios file where as the older V1 everdrives do not need one.

seieienbu

I had troubles with an everdrive not liking my SD card.  I got a new one, set it up the exact same way, and then it worked fine.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

CZroe

Quote from: ds1724 on 02/02/2018, 09:27 PMSo after waiting 9 weeks I finally got my Turbo Everdrive.  Andddd it doesn't work.  I just get the white screen.  US Duo not modded, formatted the sd card and everything, just doesn't work.  Very dissappointed as it appears now I'll have to send it back to the other side of the world.

I also swore I saw that it supported ALL games which would include CD ISOs but now I'm reading it doesn't?

Wasn't there another similar thing out there somewhere that supports everything?  I remember it wasn't cheap but maybe I'll get that instead.
That "similar thing" didn't exist 9 weeks ago.

UpperGrafx UGX-02 and Super SD System 3 just launched and those are the only two devices with Optical Drive Emulation.

It sounds like you ordered yours during the week or so they were on sale after Black Friday. I only just finally got mine a few days ago and, yes, both of those products were announced/released in the mean time. I was also in the middle of building a working CD-ROM^2 setup so it was more than a little frustrating for me. In the end, I'm still glad that I went this route, not just because of the SSDSys3 debacle, but because the TurboED is still good for my Turbo Express and works as a Super System Card for my CD-ROM^2/TurboGrafx-CD.

As others have said, the TurboED has a small switch on the side to set the region and it will give you a white screen with the wrong region set. You also have to have the system files on a compatible micro SD card (just ROMs won't work; not all SD cards work).

NE146

Yeah man.. I had a white screen too at first, but flicking the switch did the trick.

Johnpv

Also for those of you in the US you know you can get Krikzz stuff from Stoneage gamer in the US, and have regular shipping and get it in a few days instead of waiting over two months.  The price is the same (though maybe he doesn't do the black friday sale, but I guess to me its worth it not to wait almost 2 1/2 months).

crazydean

Quote from: Johnpv on 02/03/2018, 05:12 PMAlso for those of you in the US you know you can get Krikzz stuff from Stoneage gamer in the US, and have regular shipping and get it in a few days instead of waiting over two months.  The price is the same (though maybe he doesn't do the black friday sale, but I guess to me its worth it not to wait almost 2 1/2 months).
I prefer to buy directly from the source. Thus, more of my money goes towards supporting the work that Krikzz does instead of some warehouse which preys on the weak-minded who need a box with every cartridge, even when it doesn't make sense.

esteban

Crazy dean: if it makes you feel better, I ordered TED V2 years ago and still haven't used it.

Maybe I'll try to set up an SD card...didn't Bernie (member here) have everything (the files) organized nicely (in folders and stuff)?

Anyway, good luck.

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Johnpv

Quote from: crazydean on 02/03/2018, 09:17 PMI prefer to buy directly from the source. Thus, more of my money goes towards supporting the work that Krikzz does instead of some warehouse which preys on the weak-minded who need a box with every cartridge, even when it doesn't make sense.
The dude works with Krikzz, but whatever makes you feel better.

CZroe

Quote from: Johnpv on 02/03/2018, 05:12 PMAlso for those of you in the US you know you can get Krikzz stuff from Stoneage gamer in the US, and have regular shipping and get it in a few days instead of waiting over two months.  The price is the same (though maybe he doesn't do the black friday sale, but I guess to me its worth it not to wait almost 2 1/2 months).
The 2 months is because of the backorder, excessive demand on Black Friday, holiday shipping delays, winter storms, international shipping, etc. All of these things are affecting Stone Age Gamer too (where do you think he gets them ? ;)). In fact, they're still backordered even now and Ryan (SAG owner) isn't going to get them to you any faster when they aren't in stock (extra step, in fact). Krikzz has been including a free shell and label at a price comparable to SAG's PCB only price and this year they started including nice boxes with fitted foam inserts. Not as nice as SAG's cases, but nice none-the-less.

IMG

They're good guys at SAG, but during the Black Friday sales Krikzz is the easy choice. The people talking about 2 month shipping are all from that period late Nov-Dec and SAG has been backordered just as long.

Keith Courage

I must have ordered one quickly at the beginning of his Black Friday sale because I ended up getting mine in the mail within about 2 and 1/2 Weeks. Guess I was just lucky.

did you try another SD card yet? Hope you got it working.

NE146

Yep..  I remember I ordered at the beginning of Black Friday in 2016 and inquired about the status two weeks later. They emailed me back saying they had received thousands of orders and that caused delays, but ours would be shipped very soon since we had ordered earlier than the others..  So I guess it's first come first served? As it turns out, they ended up shipping it mid-December.

TaoPaiPai

My TED works fine, but sometimes I get the annoying white screen too. If you're sure your SD card is good and you have the region switch on the card in the correct position, I would also try pulling the card out from the slot just a hair (with the system powered off, of course). Then try powering it on again.

Sometimes if you shove the cards too far into the slot, they don't make very good contact with the card slot pins and you'll get a white screen.

tszarathstra

I ordered a TED on 12/5 and ended up getting it last week. When I first put it in, I got the white screen too. A little jiggling of the board and it worked fine. Like everyone else said, also make sure your region switch is in the correct place. I have a Coregrafx and it was already set to PCE, so I didn't have to do anything.

seieienbu

I'm curious if the OP ever got his Everdrive to work...
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

nopepper

$5 on its user error.

CZroe

Quote from: nopepper on 02/10/2018, 03:14 PM$5 on its user error.
He disappeared from Krikzz forum after asking too...

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=6843.0

Hopefully he's just busy playing the heck out of it.

Wish he would have actually checked back before implying that he wasn't getting any help elsewhere.

ds1724

I did indeed get it to work.  You win the $5.  I saw region button, saw the button on the top, thought that was it.  Couldn't even see the switch on the actual side at first but then I found it and feel like an idiot.

Now the next problem is when formatting the SD card to the format the ED demands it only allows for like 56MB of the 2GB to be used.  Sure I'm missing something again I'm not complaining just have to look into it more :)

CZroe

Quote from: ds1724 on 02/11/2018, 03:33 PMI did indeed get it to work.  You win the $5.  I saw region button, saw the button on the top, thought that was it.  Couldn't even see the switch on the actual side at first but then I found it and feel like an idiot.

Now the next problem is when formatting the SD card to the format the ED demands it only allows for like 56MB of the 2GB to be used.  Sure I'm missing something again I'm not complaining just have to look into it more :)
It should work with the standard FAT/FAT32 formatting that most SD cards come preformatted to. Windows doesn't like to format large drives to FAT but anything reasonable for this should work. What OS and SD card are you using?

ds1724

Sandisk Ultra, 8GB actually.  Formatted it on my Win10 machine though my Mac is my primary. 
Says FAT32, 54.5MB Capacity.

CZroe

Quote from: ds1724 on 02/12/2018, 05:04 PMSandisk Ultra, 8GB actually.  Formatted it on my Win10 machine though my Mac is my primary. 
Says FAT32, 54.5MB Capacity.
Sounds like the partition structure was messed up in the past somehow. It can happen from imaging to it, using it with something that accesses it raw, or even just sticking it into some phones that use a secure partition (Windows Phone 8, for example).

Try this guide to restore the full capacity:
https://www.google.com/amp/www.instructables.com/id/How-to-format-your-SD-card-back-to-the-original-si/%3famp_page=true

ds1724

Wow.  That was exactly it.  It even says why in the first sentence on that page as I'm sure I previously used that card with my Pi.  All is good now, thanks!  Though I have a Pi, I felt I'd enjoy the games more on the actual console so I got the TED.  Only thing is my new TV doesn't seem to like the use of the AV port as it buzzes and is very hard to hear the game audio even with the volume cranked.  I have nothing else that uses AV inputs to test out but it has the buzzing even after turning the Duo off so I can't blame the console.  Onto the TV forums I guess.

CrackTiger

My TED v1 and v2 add static/buzzing. Hopefully it's not your console,
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!