the Official Prince of Persia Game Appreciation thread (it's not funny anymore)

Started by turboswimbz, 02/06/2018, 09:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboswimbz

I'll make all jokes we need:

Guys have you heard about this game.  There is a half naked prince to get a boner to!  =P~ :^o

it's the only thing a new gamer should even think about

I need to buy like 4 of them for a friend.   He lives in an imaginary cave with no clothes but can drop about 5K on the lot.  PM me if interested.

am I did Trolling right?

Now shut the hell up.
NW: Hey, I made it on this psycho's Enemies' List, how about that ?? ;)
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

NecroPhile

It's either a pack of lies or creepy as fuck.  Seriously, who puts that kind of money and effort into helping someone that they've just met?  It's like a grooming story of a 12 y.o.

P.S. - Prince of Persia seems like a nice game at the start.  It sounds, looks, and plays good for the first few levels, but then you hit those tricky switches and jumps and the frustration level goes through the roof.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Gypsy

turboswimbz

Quote from: guest on 02/06/2018, 09:43 AMP.S. - Prince of Persia seems like a nice game at the start.  It sounds, looks, and plays good for the first few levels, but then you hit those tricky switches and jumps and the frustration level goes through the roof.
THIS IS SO FREAKING TRUE.
BT: Look at how the fake SFII' carts instantly sold out and were immediately listed on eBay before the flippers even took possession. Look at Nintendo's overpriced bricks. Look at the typical forum discussions elsewhere. You can't tell most retro gamers anything!

Gredler

I always hated prince of persia. I first tried playing it on my dos machine back when, and hated it. Tried various times to appreciate it, and can't. I very much do not like the precision required by this game, I lack the finesse to perform the required challenges.

seieienbu

I've liked the game since playing the DOS version.  Yeah it's exacting but I felt so good every time I was able to get further than I had gotten before.

But yeah, that guy's dumb.
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

ClodBusted

I've played Prince of Perversia on the Game Gear in the mid 90s and had big trouble with surviving the first sword-fight. That's all of my experience with the Prince.

Psycho Punch

This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

wildfruit

Quote from: turboswimbz on 02/06/2018, 11:11 AM
Quote from: guest on 02/06/2018, 09:43 AMP.S. - Prince of Persia seems like a nice game at the start.  It sounds, looks, and plays good for the first few levels, but then you hit those tricky switches and jumps and the frustration level goes through the roof.
THIS IS SO FREAKING TRUE.
+2
If it had a better difficulty curve would be an adequate entry to the library . Plus the soundtrack sucks. All sounds the same to me.

bartre

My only real exposure to the title is spending about 45 minutes with it after unlocking it in Sands of Time.

Then I realized I was wasting my time and went back to playing an objectively superior game.

turboswimbz

Quote from: bartre on 02/07/2018, 08:58 PMMy only real exposure to the title is spending about 45 minutes with it after unlocking it in Sands of Time.

Then I realized I was wasting my time and went back to playing an objectively superior game.
I really enjoyed Sands of time!  it's one of the few in the series I can say that about.

HuMan

I beat the Sega CD version, it's quite good and is sufficiently challenging towards the end.

seieienbu

Quote from: turboswimbz on 02/08/2018, 09:46 AM
Quote from: bartre on 02/07/2018, 08:58 PMMy only real exposure to the title is spending about 45 minutes with it after unlocking it in Sands of Time.

I really enjoyed Sands of time!  it's one of the few in the series I can say that about.
I thought Sands was almost great.  I thought the next one was worse about everything I liked in Sands but had better combat.  The third one was almost there again but just didn't quite work for me.  Fast forward a generation and the cel shaded one?  Man I wanted to like that game but it was SOOOO easy that the game practically played itself.  Quite the letdown, honestly.

The Prince of Persia series has been on the cusp of greatness that it never achieved for such a long time.  In the end I'm left enjoying the first game the most and Sands of Time I put in second place.

turboswimbz

Quote from: seieienbu on 02/08/2018, 04:07 PM
Quote from: turboswimbz on 02/08/2018, 09:46 AM

I thought Sands was almost great.  I thought the next one was worse about everything I liked in Sands but had better combat.  The third one was almost there again but just didn't quite work for me.  Fast forward a generation and the cel shaded one?  Man I wanted to like that game but it was SOOOO easy that the game practically played itself.  Quite the letdown, honestly.

The Prince of Persia series has been on the cusp of greatness that it never achieved for such a long time.  In the end I'm left enjoying the first game the most and Sands of Time I put in second place.
While I think sands is the best, and just on the edge of greatness, but still a very very solid game.  I still replay it in fact.  I agree about the next one.  Combat was so much better, but everything else sucked.  I wish you take the combat of the follow up of that era and the game play/puzzles and story of Sands. 

Maybe the next PoP will finally break into greatness.

xcrement5x

Quote from: seieienbu on 02/08/2018, 04:07 PMI thought Sands was almost great.  I thought the next one was worse about everything I liked in Sands but had better combat.  The third one was almost there again but just didn't quite work for me.  Fast forward a generation and the cel shaded one?  Man I wanted to like that game but it was SOOOO easy that the game practically played itself.  Quite the letdown, honestly.

I really enjoyed the first game in the Sands of Time Trilogy, the second was OK but had some really bizarre design choices, and the felt like the third one (similar to what you said) removed some of the weird stuff but never brought it back up to the first game again.  Personally, I'm surprised they haven't tried to reboot/remaster it like they do with everything.

Now, in contrast to your statement on PoP 2008, I really enjoyed that game.  It was much more focused on exploration and I found it fun to just roam around and look at new areas.  The lack of death thing really wasn't that big a deal to me, in fact I felt like it just encouraged me to try new maneuvers and stuff without fear of needing to wait through a re-load for it.  Plus I really enjoyed the story and how it played out, it was a very non-traditional ending.

seieienbu

Quote from: guest on 02/08/2018, 04:48 PMnow, in contrast to your statement on PoP 2008, I really enjoyed that game.  It was much more focused on exploration and I found it fun to just roam around and look at new areas.  The lack of death thing really wasn't that big a deal to me, in fact I felt like it just encouraged me to try new maneuvers and stuff without fear of needing to wait through a re-load for it.  Plus I really enjoyed the story and how it played out, it was a very non-traditional ending.
Yeah, there was a Lot to like about the game.  The world was beautiful and vast, the graphic engine was very impressive for the time, and I had a fond Actraiser flashback when cleaning up the lands.  And I, too, enjoyed the story quite a bit.

With all that said, I just felt like the "hit X when you have a ring coming up, hit B when there's a long jump and you need to call the girl" was too simplistic.  There was no timing required and very little in the way of puzzle solving.  I don't recall any areas that I wanted to reach and didn't see an obvious path.  I never had to consider my surroundings; I would just go there and then be there.

The bosses were kinda meh too.  Same guys fought repeatedly and the combat was bland.  I normally wouldn't recommend this, but more flunky type enemies would definitely have helped this game out.

Perhaps I'm being a bit to harsh on the exploration elements of the game though.  I didn't collect the orbs and perhaps if I'd done that it would have been much more fun exploring.  Who knows?

bartre

I like how no one mentioned the one true king of POP.

IMG

It's so fucking bad

seieienbu

xcrement5x

Quote from: seieienbu on 02/08/2018, 07:43 PM
Quote from: guest on 02/08/2018, 04:48 PMnow, in contrast to your statement on PoP 2008, I really enjoyed that game.  It was much more focused on exploration and I found it fun to just roam around and look at new areas.  The lack of death thing really wasn't that big a deal to me, in fact I felt like it just encouraged me to try new maneuvers and stuff without fear of needing to wait through a re-load for it.  Plus I really enjoyed the story and how it played out, it was a very non-traditional ending.
Yeah, there was a Lot to like about the game.  The world was beautiful and vast, the graphic engine was very impressive for the time, and I had a fond Actraiser flashback when cleaning up the lands.  And I, too, enjoyed the story quite a bit.

With all that said, I just felt like the "hit X when you have a ring coming up, hit B when there's a long jump and you need to call the girl" was too simplistic.  There was no timing required and very little in the way of puzzle solving.  I don't recall any areas that I wanted to reach and didn't see an obvious path.  I never had to consider my surroundings; I would just go there and then be there.

The bosses were kinda meh too.  Same guys fought repeatedly and the combat was bland.  I normally wouldn't recommend this, but more flunky type enemies would definitely have helped this game out.

Perhaps I'm being a bit to harsh on the exploration elements of the game though.  I didn't collect the orbs and perhaps if I'd done that it would have been much more fun exploring.  Who knows?
Yeah, I am specifically remembering collecting the orbs.  I think that is one of the one games that I got the most trophies on.

turboswimbz

GUYS DON'T FORGET:

sands of time gave us this!!!!

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/prince_of_persia_sands_of_time/

IMG

boy I hope this movie makes it way into the new Kingdom hearts  :mrgreen:

esteban

I could never beat the Apple IIgs version of this game. I always wondered if *anybody* could do it, since this was  when I was in school and there were only a handful of us playing it the computer lab.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG