PC Engine Duo sits on "Wait a Moment" with disk spinning.

Started by Mamemeister, 02/16/2018, 04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mamemeister

Hi, apologies if this has been answered elsewhere but I did have a look and couldnt see anything about this specific problem

I bought one about a year ago and although it was slightly temperamental reading disks (originals) it did work. I went to use it last week after a lay off of a week or so but when I switch it on the disk spins, the laser lens briefly moves up and down but doesn't make any attempt to move across the disk. When you press RUN it just sits on the "Wait a Moment" message. I've just bought a replacement laser hoping it would fix it but it does exactly the same thing. I'm a complete non techy type but would appreciate if anyone could give me any pointers as what could be the issue please?

NecroPhile

If it's the original (black) Duo and hasn't been recapped, that's where you should start.  If it's been recapped or is a Duo-R or RX, then it probably needs some pot adjustments.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

MNKyDeth

Quote from: guestIf it's the original (black) Duo and hasn't been recapped, that's where you should start. If it's been recapped or is a Duo-R or RX, then it probably needs some pot adjustments.
Exactly as NecroPhile said.

These machines need new caps as the originals go bad. If you do it yourself... After all the caps are removed make sure you clean the board completely.

If caps have been replaced. Next step is to calibrate the lens with the pots.

Mamemeister

Thanks for the advice guys. Luckily a mate who some of you may follow on You Tube offered to fix it for me. If turned out to be more than one issue including a new laser and complete re-cap but delighted to say it's as good as new.

Below are the 2 videos which are interesting to watch and might help some identify similar issues.