@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Custom Made Portable PC Engine

Started by TheReal1980, 03/21/2018, 03:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheReal1980

Hi,

I am new here but not new to the console

I was wondering if there is someone who makes portable PC Engine handhelds similar to this:
I am interested in making a kit and sell it to anyone who want to convert their PC Engine into a portable solution.
Testing...

Psycho Punch

Please don't do kits like the video you shared...

IMG

4:3 or bust
This Toxic Turbo Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs!
I had to delete THOUSANDS of error log entries cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

CrackTiger

Nope, you will have the market to yourself.

Just keep in mind that multiple people do screen upgrades and all kinds of special mods for the TurboExpress/PC Engine GT.

Also, PC Engine fans hardcore enough to play games on a portable using real hardware tend to have no interest in differently abled screen perspectives, as it defeats the whole point of authenticity.

They also tend to not be enthusiastic about destroying consoles to cobble together franken-systems. So any kit should ideally allow the console to be more or less restored. Also, the shell would have to be a very special design that is high quality and faithful to the PC Engine aesthetic, like the Super SD System 3.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

TheReal1980

Quote from: guest on 03/21/2018, 04:44 PMPlease don't do kits like the video you shared...

IMG

4:3 or bust
No it was just an example.
Testing...

TheReal1980

Quote from: guest on 03/21/2018, 04:48 PMNope, you will have the market to yourself.

Just keep in mind that multiple people do screen upgrades and all kinds of special mods for the TurboExpress/PC Engine GT.

Also, PC Engine fans hardcore enough to play games on a portable using real hardware tend to have no interest in differently abled screen perspectives, as it defeats the whole point of authenticity.

They also tend to not be enthusiastic about destroying consoles to cobble together franken-systems. So any kit should ideally allow the console to be more or less restored. Also, the shell would have to be a very special design that is high quality and faithful to the PC Engine aesthetic, like the Super SD System 3.
Many thanks for your input on this.

1. Do you have links to people who do mods? I would love to check it out.

2. So screen must be 4:3 you mean? That was my idea as well.

3. I will only make something that is of high quality, there is no reason for me to half ass it as it is a niche product for a niche market. The idea of being able to restore it back to a normal working PC Engine is something I share as well, my idea was never to make a Analogue Nt version of a portable PC Engine.

A few questions for you if you have the time:

1. Could you tell me what mods, if any, are expected to be made for a portable PC Engine?

2. What screen size is preferable? Is there a minimum/maximum?

3. Weight wise what is the maximum for a enjoyable game time?

If you have anything else important to share please let me know.
Testing...

TheClash603

Since the Turbo Express already exists, this may be somewhat redundant.  I am not the guy who can come up with ideas like this, but I do know you'll have to make something great to get any interest.

Why not just make some nice updates to the Turbo Express and sell modded versions of that?  Built in rechargeable battery with long life, better screen, built in Ever Drive, etc. Could be nice.

CrackTiger

Quote from: TheReal1980 on 03/21/2018, 06:01 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 03/21/2018, 04:48 PMNope, you will have the market to yourself.

Many thanks for your input on this.

1. Do you have links to people who do mods? I would love to check it out.

2. So screen must be 4:3 you mean? That was my idea as well.

3. I will only make something that is of high quality, there is no reason for me to half ass it as it is a niche product for a niche market. The idea of being able to restore it back to a normal working PC Engine is something I share as well, my idea was never to make a Analogue Nt version of a portable PC Engine.

A few questions for you if you have the time:

1. Could you tell me what mods, if any, are expected to be made for a portable PC Engine?

2. What screen size is preferable? Is there a minimum/maximum?

3. Weight wise what is the maximum for a enjoyable game time?

If you have anything else important to share please let me know.
Here is the Mod/Repair section:

https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?board=19.0

The last PC Engine GT I bought came with a new large screen, switchless region mod, built-in rechargeable battery pack inside the battery compartment (lasted a long time), component/AV output, controller port, was recapped and there is probably something I'm forgetting.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

seieienbu

Quote from: TheClash603 on 03/21/2018, 07:02 PMbuilt in Ever Drive
Has anyone done this to a Turbo?  I've seen built in games a few times but never a built in Ever Drive.  That sounds super cool.....
Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Arkhan Asylum

People already add controller ports, and video out to Expresses, in addition to better screens.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

ColinM

I made RetroPi Gameboys for a couple friends and  myself, better option so you aren't messing around with stock hardware...plus I put NES, Atari, etc games on it too. Not the same as original obviously but it scratches the itch for portable play.

Uses a lithium ion battery pack, backlit screen, and microusb charge port.

IMG
IMG

spenoza

Cool. How's the input/display lag? I've heard RetroPi isn't as responsive as it could be.

ColinM

Quote from: guest on 04/27/2018, 10:26 AMCool. How's the input/display lag? I've heard RetroPi isn't as responsive as it could be.
I've only ever had issues with lag using crappy USB controllers and certain TVs or crappy portable screens. The buttons are wired directly to the Pi, so no issues with input lag, and the display lag is not noticeable, no idea what it actually is. I'm sure there is some.

roflmao

Yeah, there are a lot of controllers that introduce lag when using a RetroPi, but I've found a couple that work great.

This is an awesome project, Colin!

spenoza

So tell us more about this project? What kinds of parts do you source? How long does it take and how much does it cost to put one together?

jperryss

Quote from: ColinM on 04/27/2018, 10:17 AMI made RetroPi Gameboys for a couple friends and  myself, better option so you aren't messing around with stock hardware...plus I put NES, Atari, etc games on it too. Not the same as original obviously but it scratches the itch for portable play.

Uses a lithium ion battery pack, backlit screen, and microusb charge port.
This is awesome.

Purple1308

If you really want to sell off your device you'll need to make the screen 4:3, have a video output, keep a way to have a cd drive function and, make it cheaper than a usual turbo express and pc engine gt

roflmao

Quote from: Purple1308 on 04/27/2018, 04:34 PMIf you really want to sell off your device you'll need to make the screen 4:3, have a video output, keep a way to have a cd drive function and, make it cheaper than a usual turbo express and pc engine gt
RetroPi outputs proper aspect ratio, have video output (HDMI and Composite), handle CD games fine (everything up through PS1). The most expensive Pi costs $35, but all the 8-16 bit stuff runs fine on the Pi Zero which is like $10.

If you've got a 3d printer, you can print your own case, or get one here for about $25.
https://www.etsy.com/market/pigrrl
A busted Gameboy might be cheaper?

This kit has everything else you need.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3014

I've been wanting to build one of these for ages. :D

Purple1308

Quote from: roflmao on 04/27/2018, 04:50 PM
Quote from: Purple1308 on 04/27/2018, 04:34 PMIf you really want to sell off your device you'll need to make the screen 4:3, have a video output, keep a way to have a cd drive function and, make it cheaper than a usual turbo express and pc engine gt
RetroPi outputs proper aspect ratio, have video output (HDMI and Composite), handle CD games fine (everything up through PS1). The most expensive Pi costs $35, but all the 8-16 bit stuff runs fine on the Pi Zero which is like $10.

If you've got a 3d printer, you can print your own case, or get one here for about $25.
https://www.etsy.com/market/pigrrl
A busted Gameboy might be cheaper?

This kit has everything else you need.
https://www.adafruit.com/product/3014

I've been wanting to build one of these for ages. :D
Oh i wasnt talking about the retro pi i was taking about that video on the top the portable console
Sorry for the confusion.

ColinM

Quote from: guest on 04/27/2018, 12:01 PMSo tell us more about this project? What kinds of parts do you source? How long does it take and how much does it cost to put one together?
Parts list:
Original broken Gameboy (modified the shell and the stock power switch, buttons etc)-Ebay
Pi Zero W -Adafruit
LCD display -Amazon
Gameboy control board from http://store.kitsch-bent.com
Glass screen cover (It's bigger than the stock one) http://store.kitsch-bent.com
Gameboy game you don't mind destroying for just half of the shell -Ebay
LiOn battery -Adafruit?
Charging circuit -Adafruit?
Audio circuit/amp -Adafruit or Kitsch I can't remember
new speaker - Kitsch I think
MicroUSB port to mount where the gamelink was -ebay
Amazon cheapie USB hub (3 port to mount where AA batteries went for USB port access to the Pi)

A decent amount of time, soldering, troubleshooting, etc. I made my first one that I posted the picture of for myself, then made 4 more assembly line style for my wife and a few friends. After the first one things got easier, I also only did 2 buttons, you can go as far as doing 4 button on the front and 2 on the back. No audio jack, just audio out through the speaker etc. I kept things simple.

I'm sure I forgot a few things but it was probably under $75 for all the parts including shipping from various places. I sourced things from ebay, Amazon, and http://store.kitsch-bent.com

There is Sudomod build using the original control board, it's a  completely different build than mine:
https://www.sudomod.com/wiki/index.php?title=Game_Boy_Zero

I know on the Kitsch Bent site there is a walkthrough or how to somewhere, but that site is blocked at work for some reason...maybe since I was on there so much before haha. If I had to do another one, i'd just buy a new Gameboy shell, or go the route of 3D printing a shell that you can just put everything in much easier. Modifying the Gameboy shell and getting everything to fit was a huge pain. It's a lot of wiring, cutting, test fitting, re-wiring and fitting stuff that wasn't designed to be in there. There are kits you can buy where you just supply the pi zero and everything else is ready to go in a shell that looks more like a GBA. DON'T waste your money on the Gameboys that they sell on ebay for $300, a friend of mine bought one and I opened it up to see how it was done in order to build my own...it was a rats nest of wires, hot glue, and piss poor soldering. His ebay one is sitting broken somewhere now and he uses the one I made for him instead.