Restarting Game of the Week (is there interest?)

Started by geise, 03/30/2018, 05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

geise

SamIAm was doing these before (thank you!) and I was thinking about starting this back up and hosting if there are enough people that would like to participate. So, reply here with interest and maybe we can start another thread with hosting dates and hosts for the Game of the Week. I'm hoping this could start more discussion again and possibly get some lurkers to participate. So...anyone interested?

Also, this could turn into a Game of the Month as well.

crazydean

I was a new member last time we did one of these, and it was great...for a little while.

The problem seemed to be that either GOTW would lose momentum because someone suggested a game that caught few people's interest like Klax. Or, it was a game that may of us had already played or beaten.

Having said that, I'm up for it. Maybe we should go for PCE games though, since there are so few TG games that we haven't all played to death or might find interesting.

geise

Yeah as with last time we did both pc-e and turbo. Mostly it was import stuff. I agree with lack of interest due to certain games, but at least it was just for that week. Maybe something like a game of the month and do a vote? Person hosting that month can make a pole for 3 or 4 games to vote on. Even then it could still be a game quite a few might not like. Can't please everybody.

Glad to hear you're up for it though.

Gypsy

Maybe of the month would be better? I'm down to try either way.

PukeSter

I thought these were a lot of fun. Helped to get discussion on individual games going too.

The poll thing is a nice idea. The N64 forum usually does that for Game of the Month.

Phase

Quote from: guest on 03/30/2018, 11:26 PMI thought these were a lot of fun. Helped to get discussion on individual games going too.
+1

What about 2 games a month? Perhaps a more common game or shooter and then a more random second game. People could play one or both.. not sure lol  :-"

crazydean

Quote from: Phase on 03/31/2018, 12:04 AM
Quote from: guest on 03/30/2018, 11:26 PMI thought these were a lot of fun. Helped to get discussion on individual games going too.
+1

What about 2 games a month? Perhaps a more common game or shooter and then a more random second game. People could play one or both.. not sure lol  :-"
Actually, I think this is a great idea. Start Game of the Month and have two. That circumvents the bored feeling that some older players have but also maintains interested with possibly a less played game.

TheClash603

Quote from: crazydean on 03/31/2018, 12:07 AM
Quote from: Phase on 03/31/2018, 12:04 AM
+1

Actually, I think this is a great idea. Start Game of the Month and have two. That circumvents the bored feeling that some older players have but also maintains interested with possibly a less played game.
Let's do the best of both worlds...  gameS of the month and pick 4 of them.  Same amount as if we did game of the week, but now you get more time to play them.

This opens things up for RPGs for example, if one person wants to take some time with their game.  You could exclude the other 3 games from your personal playlist, if not for you.

I'd say that the only rule would be to pick a variety of genres.  So no more than one platformer, RPG, shooter, puzzle game etc per month.  Also keep it varied between PCE and TG16 games.

My friends and I at work agreed to see all 9 Oscar nominated best picture movies and to discuss them.  It probably took us about 6 weeks to see each of them and none of us saw them at the same frequency or in the same order.  This didn't prevent us from having some good movie discussions, so the same premise is at work here with the 4 games per month suggestion.

geise

Yep. This was a huge part of the reason I wanted to get this up and going again.

I am down with 2 games a month. 4 isn't bad but I think it could be a tad much. What are others thoughts on number of games if we're going to go monthly with this?

seieienbu

Current want list:  Bomberman 93

Gypsy

Gredler

Two at most for me, but i am down to try and participate

NecroPhile

I'm somewhat interested.  I like the idea of having a whole month to work on 'em, though no more than two games please.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

geise

Quote from: guest on 04/02/2018, 10:54 AMI'm somewhat interested.  I like the idea of having a whole month to work on 'em, though no more than two games please.
Yeah this is going to be 2 games only. Sounds like this is going to be how we'll do it. I'd like to get this started by May. So, my idea is to start a thread soon for who wants to choose the games for the months of 2018. I'll host to keep it going, but will have people request the games they want for each month like SamIAm did for each week. If people really want to host themselves that's fine and we can go that route. If people get to busy I can step in for them and host.

Do people want to host themselves for each month?

NecroPhile

I'm not sure we even need two different games.  Unless you're a masochist and try to make people play Impossamole or Astralius, I think we can suck it up and play a game we don't love every once in a while.

As for hosting, I vote you do it yourself.  That way it's consistent and just one person is responsible for keeping it going from month to month.

geise

One game would  be easier. That was also what I was thinking in regards to me hosting each month.

GoldenWheels

Soooooooooooooooooo....................gotw?

ToyMachine78

What are you referring to by hosting? These are not meetups right?

NecroPhile

He means who's gonna be in charge of making the final selection(s) of what to play and creating a thread to discuss it in each week/month/whatever.

seieienbu

So, are we writing down submissions yet?

On assumption that we are, I want to nominate Splatterhouse.  I'll say more on the subject once it's got a thread.

TheClash603

Everyone should give a game by the end of the week and then we use random list generator to decide which 2 games get picked for the week/weeks?

Once we get through the list or it is slim again, take some more suggestions.

seieienbu

PukeSter

Freeway2

That's a game I would love to learn more about. Is there a site that has translations for it anyone. I was going to nominate one but that one caught my interest.
"If I took this cigarette and put it out on you would you love me"

TheClash603

We allowed to nominate a PC-FX game?  I have been playing around with it and next on my list is Zeroigar.  I know that's cheating and I fucked it up already.

PukeSter

Quote from: Freeway2 on 04/12/2018, 09:25 PMThat's a game I would love to learn more about. Is there a site that has translations for it anyone. I was going to nominate one but that one caught my interest.
If you've played nes river city ransom, you should have no issues. Same map layout and everything!

esteban

Goddammit, this was my problem before. Lack of patience/skills to burn teh ISOs I don't own.

Now that I have a TED I shouldn't have a problem with HUEYs.

I like MONTH.

GAMES OF THE MONTH.

GsOTM
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Psycho Punch

We should give translations some spotlight now that everdrives are more commonplace.

I nominate Hisou Kihei XSerd.

IMG
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

roflmao

crazydean

Quote from: esteban on 04/13/2018, 12:10 AMGoddammit, this was my problem before. Lack of patience/skills to burn teh ISOs I don't own.

I like MONTH.

GAMES OF THE MONTH.

GsOTM
Have you actually started using the TED? I thought you were just admiring it from afar.

Also, lukester is gone now, too?

NecroPhile

Quote from: crazydean on 04/13/2018, 04:17 PMAlso, lukester is gone now, too?
Yep.  :(

Could y'all stop doing this?  It makes it impossible for the rest of us to search for you past posts.  If you really have to quit, just quit logging in; don't do something irrevocable and give up on the chance of NW getting demoted and things getting back to normal.

Gypsy

Will there be any members left to play GOTM?  :cook:

esteban

Quote from: crazydean on 04/13/2018, 04:17 PM
Quote from: esteban on 04/13/2018, 12:10 AMGoddammit, this was my problem before. Lack of patience/skills to burn teh ISOs I don't own.

I like MONTH.

GAMES OF THE MONTH.

GsOTM
Have you actually started using the TED? I thought you were just admiring it from afar.

I still haven't put microSD card into my TED.

However, I finally had to put one in my Wii because my daughter and her friends are totally into Smash Brothers (she's 14).

So, I'm making progress.

You can mock me, because I still think the Wii is a new console.

:)

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/13/2018, 04:25 PM
Quote from: crazydean on 04/13/2018, 04:17 PMAlso, lukester is gone now, too?
Yep.  :(

Could y'all stop doing this?  It makes it impossible for the rest of us to search for you past posts.  If you really have to quit, just quit logging in; don't do something irrevocable and give up on the chance of NW getting demoted and things getting back to normal.
I know. It's insane.

NecroPhile

Can I request Hatris or will it kill GotM and make y'all rage quit?

crazydean

Quote from: esteban on 04/13/2018, 05:58 PM

I like MONTH.

GAMES OF THE MONTH.

GsOTM

Any console with a "home screen" is modern. I won't hold it against you.  :dance:

NightWolve

Quote from: esteban on 04/13/2018, 05:58 PMI still haven't put microSD card into my TED.

However, I finally had to put one in my Wii because my daughter and her friends are totally into Smash Brothers (she's 14).
You'll wanna at least test it, make sure it's not defective. It's a great product, got it for my TurboExpress. First time playing Batman PCE since I never bought HuCard adapters and imports, just PCECDs.

TheClash603

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/13/2018, 06:11 PM
Quote from: esteban on 04/13/2018, 05:58 PMI still haven't put microSD card into my TED.

You'll wanna at least test it, make sure it's not defective. It's a great product, got it for my TurboExpress. First time playing Batman PCE since I never bought HuCard adapters and imports, just PCECDs.
I got a TED long ago and never figured out what to do with it.  Mine just sits in my N10 as a dust cover.

Quote from: crazydean on 04/13/2018, 06:07 PM
Quote from: esteban on 04/13/2018, 05:58 PM

I like MONTH.

GAMES OF THE MONTH.

GsOTM

Any console with a "home screen" is modern. I won't hold it against you.  :dance:
PC-FX FTW

geise

Quote from: guest on 04/13/2018, 06:04 PMCan I request Hatris or will it kill GotM and make y'all rage quit?
Hatris is welcome. I am thinking of doing a voting system where 5 games or so get voted a little before the end of the month. Whichever one wins is of course the game we play for that month. I do kinda like the idea of picking a random game like Clash said. It's either that or we vote from a poll each month from a list of games. I would like to add pc-fx but not as many play it. I would like to keep it strictly pc-e and turbob. 

In regards to types of games I'd like to include everything, but I fear JRPG's or other heavy text games might kill participation. If most are cool with it we'll go with everything pc-e and turbo then.

How do people feel about like 5 games and a poll to vote before the end of each month?

seieienbu

Quote from: NightWolve on 04/13/2018, 06:11 PMYou'll wanna at least test it, make sure it's not defective. It's a great product, got it for my TurboExpress. First time playing Batman PCE since I never bought HuCard adapters and imports, just PCECDs.
Though unorthodox and not at all what I was expecting, Batman's a pretty cool game.  My favorite thing about it is the soundtrack.  I loved Streets of Desolation on the old NES version and it sounds way better on  PCE audio hardware.

geise

Yeah man. Batman has an amazing soundtrack. I put it up there with Dungeon Explorer as some of my favorite on a HuCard.

GoldenWheels

Quote from: geise on 04/13/2018, 07:23 PMHow do people feel about like 5 games and a poll to vote before the end of each month?
I would appreciate a poll because even though I have a shit ton of games, I don't have a TED...and really don't want to buy one because I already have...a shit ton of games. At least I would have a shot at playing something I do currently own.

NightWolve

Quote from: geise on 04/13/2018, 07:32 PMYeah man. Batman has an amazing soundtrack. I put it up there with Dungeon Explorer as some of my favorite on a HuCard.
It was the catchy soundtrack (well, the main chip tune) I fell in love with, but I wish they composed more of the same quality for every stage. But it was cool to beat it on the ole recapped Express despite the repetitive aspect.

Psycho Punch

Quote from: Psycho Punch on 04/13/2018, 12:17 AMWe should give translations some spotlight now that everdrives are more commonplace.
I nominate Hisou Kihei XSerd.
IMG
Err...

https://tcrf.net/Hisou_Kihei_X_Serd

QuoteNo hair 'neath your arms, no stench of your sweat
No stink from your feet, no stink from your breath
Your skin is so silky, no marks of which to speak
Your eyes are so wide, and your spirit's so meek

5 years old, that's where it's at
And a 5 year old girl, you just can't beat that
5 years old, that's where it's at
And a 5 year old girl, you just can't beat that
Nomination cancelled. Screw this game.
This Toxic Turbo Turd/Troll & Clone Warrior calls himself "Burning Fight!!" on Neo-Geo.com
For a good time, reach out to: aleffrenan94@gmail.com or punchballmariobros@gmail.com
Like DildoKobold, dildos are provided free of charge, no need to bring your own! :lol:
He also ran scripts to steal/clone this forum which blew up the error logs! I had to delete THOUSANDS of errors cause of this nutcase!
how_to_spell_ys_sign_origin_ver.webp

esteban

Quote from: guest on 04/13/2018, 06:04 PMCan I request Hatris or will it kill GotM and make y'all rage quit?
Hey, I finally got the HuCARD, so YES!