RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Recapping a GT in the UK - any suggestions?

Started by soop, 04/04/2018, 09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

soop

I'm considering recapping my 2 GTs myself.  My soldering has improved markedly, but I'm still a bit scared.  Anyway, two questions:

I just watched a video, and the way the guy explained it, it made it seem like the capacitors are kind of surface mounted instead of through-hole.  If that's the case, that would make it a lot more fiddly, is this correct? Or can I desolder them from the bottom?

If I recapped it, I'd ideally want to replace the caps like for like, with the same low profile type.  What are these called, and is there a downside to using these?

*edit* I opened them up and answered my own questions.  Surface mount, and aluminium caps.  I don't know what the pros and cons are of aluminium caps, but suffice it to say, I don't feel comfortable enough in my skills to recap these.

So let's change the question - does anyone know a decent source in the UK that recaps GTs?  I'd ideally like to see some examples of work, or have someone vouch for them before I sent them off.  I don't want a crappy job done on these
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Keith Courage

Pretty sure Vimtoman is in the UK. Send him a PM to see if he will work on it for ya.

soop

Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!