@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

PAL Turbografx

Started by Oli_lar, 03/30/2007, 08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oli_lar

I do all of my Hucard gaming on PC Engine, but I got a Turbografx pretty cheap, a PAL version. I looked up on Wikipedia and it said that this version had a limited run - does anyone know how limited, or does anyone have any background info on the european release?

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: Oli_lar on 03/30/2007, 08:33 AMI do all of my Hucard gaming on PC Engine, but I got a Turbografx pretty cheap, a PAL version. I looked up on Wikipedia and it said that this version had a limited run - does anyone know how limited, or does anyone have any background info on the european release?
It apparently came out in the UK and Spain (since there is a version of the box that has been seen with Spainish text and the European style unit) and was test marketed in 1990 only. Something like 12 or so games came out. For a while there were a few sellers on ebay.co.uk with European TurboGrafx units for sale. They look different than the US system, they have a different color scheme on the logo and controller, a different box and most noticably are missing the 16 in the title.

Added in edit: Here is an example auction of the European model http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TURBO-GRAFX-16-CONSOLE-NEW-BOXED-FREE-GAME-OFFER_W0QQitemZ120103232882QQcategoryZ72501QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD7VQQcmdZViewItem
And another one
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NEC-TURBO-GRAFX-PC-ENGINE-CONSOLE-UK-PAL_W0QQitemZ300096531208QQcategoryZ123439QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD7VQQcmdZViewItem

Oh and just curious, since you have a PAL TurboGrafx is there any chance you could take some up close pictures of it. I'm really curious as to how different it looks. All I've seen is of pictures on ebay which usually are low res and from a distance away from the unit.
--DragonmasterDan

gundarN

Did it really come out in the UK? I've been gaming here for a long time and never had a sniff of an official release.

shubibiman

This one is a real piece of mystery. Although I'm french, I never heard about a European release until I actually saw one on ebay. I bought a brand new one 1 and a half years ago and I must admit that since, I only used once as it is 50Hz modded (to fit the european standards of the time). Never found any info about the release date, though.
Like everyone here, I've heard about a UK and Spain release, that's it. It would be nice if we could find a spanish pce fan who could telle us more about it.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: gundarN on 04/06/2007, 02:23 AMDid it really come out in the UK? I've been gaming here for a long time and never had a sniff of an official release.
From my understanding it was test marketed at a small handful of electronics and toy stores only in 1990 and only in the Greater London area.
--DragonmasterDan