Game endings you love/hate?

Started by kid_rondeau, 04/25/2007, 08:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid_rondeau

After dusting off my TurboStick yesterday (hey man, some games demand the use of 'Slow'....Raiden comes to mind) I was finally able to beat Syd Mead's Terraforming.

The game had no ending!

Well, that's not quite true: "[BRIEF EXPLOSION] + [CREDIT SEQUENCE] + [ABSOLUTELY NO EPILOGUE]" seems to about cover it. For a game with such a unique plot, I felt let down by the ending. this got me to thinking of which game endings I loved best, and liked the least (for my purposes, I'm only counting US releases. if anybody chooses to add to this list, feel free to mention PCE releases too)...

5 Endings I Like (NOT my top 5!!):
-Lords of Thunder
-Ys Books I & II
-Dragon's Curse
-Moto Roader (very pleasant music. I've beaten this game with my brother about 5,000 times)
-Dungeon Explorer II

5 Endings that left me wanting:
-Terraforming
-R-Type
-Legendary Axe II (WTF???)
-DEEP BLUE
-Sinistron

Sound off!

Turbo D

I really love all the endings to the bonk games and airzonk. I havent really beat allot of my collection, but most endings are pretty lame. The lame ones just show some picture and then credits come down.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

runinruder

Veigues Tactical Gladiator and Legendary Axe II have my favorite endings for chips, while Ys Book I & II and Cosmic Fantasy 2 have the best for CDs.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

OldRover

Legendary Axe II's ending was supposed to be a setup for a sequel. Sinistron's ending is definitely a letdown, Violent Soldier's is marginally better (it has a credit scroll) which is rather depressing on both considering how difficult both games are.

Camp California, everyone's favorite punching-bag of a game, has one of the best endings out of all the action games on the console. Cadash has a pretty decent ending too, it's almost the same as the arcade version's (modified for technical reasons, of course...even the Genesis doesn't replicate it perfectly). Air Zonk is probably the best; multiple endings depending on how you play the game. Of course, we all expect decent endings from RPGs, CF2 has a great ending and it's pretty long.

And if anyone can explain the ending to Time Cruise, you'll win a cookie. :dance:
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Seldane

A bit off topic, but the worst ending I've encountered was in Golden Axe Warrior (excellent Zelda 1 rip off for Master System). Great game, super bad ending. :P
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Ninja Spirit

Final Zone II, it was mediocre because there's no staff roll.

Seldane

Who cares about staff rolls?
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

NecroPhile

@ kid_rondeau:  Dear God!  You actually suffered through Deep Blue all the way to the end?  You poor bastard.

Quote from: OldRover on 04/25/2007, 09:54 AMAnd if anyone can explain the ending to Time Cruise, you'll win a cookie. :dance:
You take the fancy pants pinball time machine into the future and shit: World War III - Tokyo is toast.  Now where's my cookie?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

rolins

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 04/25/2007, 08:34 AMAfter dusting off my TurboStick yesterday (hey man, some games demand the use of 'Slow'....Raiden comes to mind) I was finally able to beat Syd Mead's Terraforming.
You don't need to use slow mode for Raiden. Just keep practicing some more. Oh btw, the Turbostick is lame. 

I don't remember seeing an ending I was satisfied with. I played mainly the shmups on this system, and often those games had endings not worth mentioning. I did like Gunhed and Xevious for the funky music during their credit rolls.

PhilBiker

Quote from: guest on 04/25/2007, 11:49 AM@ kid_rondeau:  Dear God!  You actually suffered through Deep Blue all the way to the end?  You poor bastard.
I was thinking the same thing!  I can't get anywhere in that game.

I have very rarely had the time or patience to get to the ending of any video game.  I love the Shmups, but most of them seem to get progressively harder and harder and harder till I give up.  For example, Super Star Soldier, there's just a point where it goes from fun to impossible.  That's one of the many things I I love about Blazing Lazers/Gunhed.  Level 1 is easy peasy, then it gets to a certain difficulty level, hard but nowhere near impossible, and pretty much stays at the same level till the completely insane Level 9.  I like the Blazing Lazers / Gunhead and Moto Roader ending music.
Wonk-wonk-wonk.  Where are your true friends at times like this?  Right here!  Wonk-wonk-wonk.

SignOfZeta

I like the ending of Starling Odyssey II a lot. I guess back in the day the ending of most games on CD blew me away, but SOII's really stuck with me.
IMG

termis

Best.ending.ever.

P.O.W. - NES
IMG

Joe Redifer

WORST.ending.ever.

Shinobi - Sega Master System

IMG

SNKNostalgia

Quote from: thumpin_termis on 04/25/2007, 07:32 PMBest.ending.ever.

P.O.W. - NES
IMG
Ahh yess, SNK-Egrish. There has been too many Neo-Geo games that suffer from this, too many. Samurai Shodown 4 is pretty much the all time worse.

Joe Redifer

You mean all-time best?  I'll have to get it.  Who wants to sell me Samurai Shodown 4 AES complete for cheap?

Keranu

Is this limited to TG16/PCE or any game ending?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

OldRover

This IS the tg16 discussion forum... ;)
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Tatsujin

love:

Akumajô dracula x (both)

hate:

Tatsujin
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Joe Redifer

I say we talk about any game endings since the TG-16 has so few games.  We can't even talk about PCE game endings if we are to obey the forum order.  (HINT:  MERGE THE FORUMS).

termis

Quote from: SNKNostalgia on 04/25/2007, 08:51 PMAhh yess, SNK-Egrish. There has been too many Neo-Geo games that suffer from this, too many. Samurai Shodown 4 is pretty much the all time worse.
The title of best Engrish in a video game HAS to go to Zero Wing of "All Your Base..." fame.   I can't imagine that I would've missed anything more hilarious than that.

For those of you that never saw the actual intro, here it is -

nat

Dude, it's 2007. Anyone who hasn't seen that intro by now has been living under piles of rocks under a pyramid that was built 10 miles under a volcano.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

termis

Quote from: nat on 04/26/2007, 02:40 AMDude, it's 2007. Anyone who hasn't seen that intro by now has been living under piles of rocks under a pyramid that was built 10 miles under a volcano.
:-k I guess I was doing just that.  I only saw the music vid, but never the actual intro post-youtube.

Turbo D

I never saw it before either, haha. I have that game for pc engine cd tho.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

nat

Is the PCE version lacking the intro?

Turbo D

The pc engine cd version has an actual anime video intro that is in japanese. It sure kicks the shit out of the megadrive version  :lol:
IMG IMG
IMG

Joe Redifer

Sorry, but Engrish will always kick the shit out of typical anime characters (which you can see in almost EVERY game).

CrackTiger

Game endings don't get any better than TM/FEOE Kabuki Den.

I of course count the ending as beginning after Garp is defeated, followed by Kabuki returning to Jipang and the credits roll...  :wink:

Lunar EB Sega-CD has a similar extended ending if you count the Epilogue.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

shubibiman

My favourite endings :

-Ys IV, mere instant of magic
-PC Kid 2, really funny the first time you see it
-Star Parodia

Most disappointing endings :

-Aldynes really happy when you beat the crap out of it but the ending is just a joke (3 spaceships flying around on the screen, credits, full stop)
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

esteban

Quote from: shubibiman on 04/28/2007, 10:00 AMMy favourite endings :

-Ys IV, mere instant of magic
-PC Kid 2, really funny the first time you see it
-Star Parodia

Most disappointing endings :

-Aldynes really happy when you beat the crap out of it but the ending is just a joke (3 spaceships flying around on the screen, credits, full stop)
Aha! You can help me! Is there a second loop in Aldynes? If so, is there third?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

shubibiman

There's a second loop, a third loop, a fourth loop, a fifth loop and even a sixth loop. I never tried to go further. Actually, I'm able to go up to the second loop on the real hardware but I used magic engine to see how many loops there were. Every loop is harder than the one before, so I can tell you that it gets craaazy from loop 3 onwards.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Digi.k

Quote from: guest on 04/27/2007, 08:45 PMLunar EB Sega-CD has a similar extended ending if you count the Epilogue.
I love the endings for Lunar 2 EB on the Saturn..

and ending for Grandia and Saturn Bomberman.

Ys Book 1 & 2 for PC Engine's ending is pretty sweet and also love the endings for Parodius. Bomberman '93 has awesome music for it's ending and  Dragon Spirit has a cool ending (which i think it rasters out the the screen)

and just recently beat Galaga 88 on the pce after all these years >_>  Didnt think I was gonna make it ....

/galaga88ending.jpg

guyjin

If I remember correctly, the ending of Ninja Spirit was sucky; just a re-showing of the bosses with the same names I couldn't read... and oh, they reveal that you're the wolf (as if it weren't obvious.)

Unfortunately, I don't beat a lot of games, so I don't remember many others... I think Cadash's was neat, but I can't read Japanese. (I have the PCE version)

CrackTiger

Quote from: guyjin on 04/29/2007, 04:03 AMIf I remember correctly, the ending of Ninja Spirit was sucky; just a re-showing of the bosses with the same names I couldn't read... and oh, they reveal that you're the wolf (as if it weren't obvious.)

Unfortunately, I don't beat a lot of games, so I don't remember many others... I think Cadash's was neat, but I can't read Japanese. (I have the PCE version)
Ninja Spirit's PC Engine Mode ending may not feature cinemas to rival CD games, but the way it was done with a kick ass original song is very cool.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: shubibiman on 04/28/2007, 02:21 PMThere's a second loop, a third loop, a fourth loop, a fifth loop and even a sixth loop. I never tried to go further. Actually, I'm able to go up to the second loop on the real hardware but I used magic engine to see how many loops there were. Every loop is harder than the one before, so I can tell you that it gets craaazy from loop 3 onwards.
Holy crap, you rule. I got to nearly the end (first loop) on real hardware. It actually made we want to get a SuperGrafx (that and the recent threads here).

Back on topic:

Isn't the ending to Veigues really, really long? I haven't beaten it in ages, but I seem to recall it being long.

I wanted the ending to Final Lap Twin RPG to be better (i.e. more impressive), especially because I had a tough time with some of the matches. Of course, my true desire was for the entire quest to flesh out the characters / story in more depth. Yes.

I thought the ending of Red Alert was awesome!
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

Quote from: stevek666 on 04/29/2007, 10:08 PMI thought the ending of Red Alert was awesome!
I really loved Last Alert's 80's ending! It's been awhile since I seen it, but I remember having a good time watching it.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Ninja Spirit

Son Son II ending with the sprite swap code is pretty silly, with the Gyumao sprite (the final boss) replacing "Buddha".

Quote from: Digi.k on 04/29/2007, 12:26 AM
Quote from: guest on 04/27/2007, 08:45 PMLunar EB Sega-CD has a similar extended ending if you count the Epilogue.
I love the endings for Lunar 2 EB on the saturn..

and ending for Grandia and Saturn Bomberman.

Ys book 1 & 2 for pc engine's ending is pretty sweet and also love the endings for parodius. Bomberman 93 has awesome music for it's ending and  Dragon Spirit has a cool ending (which i think it rasters out the the screen)

and just recently beat galaga 88 on the pce after all these years >_>  Didnt think I was gonna make it ....

/galaga88ending.jpg
Not to mention when you made that G88 video for YouTube, you were so damn close. Now that I think about it, if you were to have made that attempt run in front of a crowd of onlookers, I can just hear them letting out a big long "AWWWWWWWW" when they see your progress map after your game was over.

kid_rondeau

You know,
it's been a while for me on Galaga '88 ('90 for me...) but I remember there is a better ending than the one shown here. You get a big gold medal and everything.

You didn't do the code where you hold either UP or DOWN when you press Run, did you?

Aw man, I think I need to play that soon...

Digi.k

Quote from: kid_rondeau on 04/30/2007, 06:01 AMYou know,
it's been a while for me on Galaga '88 ('90 for me...) but I remember there is a better ending than the one shown here. You get a big gold medal and everything.

You didn't do the code where you hold either UP or DOWN when you press Run, did you?

Aw man, I think I need to play that soon...
To start of with the large ship? then ya i think i did use it.

kid_rondeau

Ahh...well there you go. that enables the "easy" mode where you get a lot more capsules (Orange, Green, Silver, etc.).

I think the only way to get the best ending is to play the hard mode (regular game) and get every dimension warp (which I can see you did in your game).

On the topic of the different colored capsules, does anyone have any idea what the light blue one does?

BonkThis

Quote from: nat on 04/26/2007, 02:40 AMDude, it's 2007. Anyone who hasn't seen that intro by now has been living under piles of rocks under a pyramid that was built 10 miles under a volcano.
how did you know where I lived? :wink:

offsidewing

Not knowing the "ALL YOUR BASE..." intro is like (off topic) not knowing UP-UP-DOWN-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT-B-A-(select)-START.

Johnny Turbo is not without his charm...

JoshTurboTrollX

I always dug the ending to Shockman.

With the teaser for a U.S. Sequel and end credits with a character run through....

Was pretty cool
Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

CrackTiger

Quote from: offsidewing on 05/01/2007, 02:23 PMNot knowing the "ALL YOUR BASE..." intro is like (off topic) not knowing UP-UP-DOWN-DOWN-LEFT-RIGHT-LEFT-RIGHT-B-A-(select)-START.

Johnny Turbo is not without his charm...
Net nerds know "All you base..." and where T-Shirts with it. Most have never played played the game even once. Not even just to watch the intro themselves.

The average kid during the NES days knew 'Up, Up, Down, Down...', but wouldn't necessarily have grown up to play Warhammer and buy burritos by the wheel barrel full for the Dr Who marathon.

Johnny Turbo is an obscure phenomenon known only to a very small sect of gaming geeks.

offsidewing

Johnny Turbo is an obscure phenomenon known only to a very small sect of gaming geeks.[/quote]
Just like the Turbo itself...

thewestexit

Whoever made up that "all your base" intro anyway?  I have Zero Wing for the PC Engine and Mega Drive and I'll pretty sure neither version contains that funky dialogue.

To keep this on topic, PCE wise I love the endings to Cosmic Fantasy 2 and the Ys games...  I also like the endings to the Legend of Xanadu games.
////////////////////////////////////////////////
James Wilson
www.thewestexit.com
The Science of Building Wealth
////////////////////////////////////////////////

Joe Redifer

The European version of the Mega Drive Zero Wing has that text.  You must have the Japanese version.

CrackTiger

Quote from: offsidewing on 05/03/2007, 09:32 AMJohnny Turbo is an obscure phenomenon known only to a very small sect of gaming geeks.
Just like the Turbo itself...[/quote]
Exactly.  :wink: