10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Nintendo's best console

Started by guyjin, 04/29/2007, 12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nintendo's best videogame console:

NES
13 (37.1%)
SNES
17 (48.6%)
N64
2 (5.7%)
GameCube
0 (0%)
Wii
0 (0%)
Nintendo never made a good videogame console*
3 (8.6%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Seldane

Konami ruined scaling/rotation for me with their horrible Castlevania games for GBA.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Kitsunexus

Well to be fair, the only thing good about ANY Castlevania was the music.

Yeah, fanboys. I just went there. Commence the flames, but I'm sticking by my guns.

I'm more of a Parodious/Gradius fanboy.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Seldane

Yeah I guess that's pretty true. Except of course about the music bit. At least the GBA/DS games (Aria of whatever, GBA in particular) feature some of the worst noise I have heard in my life.

The PCE/PS1 games had nice music though.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Seldane on 05/07/2007, 09:35 AMYeah I guess that's pretty true. Except of course about the music bit. At least the GBA/DS games (Aria of whatever, GBA in particular) feature some of the worst noise I have heard in my life.

The PCE/PS1 games had nice music though.
Yeah, the GBA chips doesn't really do the music justice, but I like the new DS game's music. It's classic Yuzo Koshiro.

Keranu

Quote from: Seldane on 05/07/2007, 09:26 AMKonami ruined scaling/rotation for me with their horrible Castlevania games for GBA.
Agreed.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

CrackTiger

Quote from: OldRover on 05/06/2007, 11:29 PMThe SNES's Mosaic effect was rarely put to good use. The only game I can think of that did anything good with it is Super Turrican.
I've always thought that the walking while poisoned effect in games like the Final Fantasy's was the best use of it.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

Hey I always liked that mosaic effect in games!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: KitsunexusI'm more of a Parodious/Gradius fanboy.
Ummm... why?  Parodius I can understand.  But Gradius?  It's so.... bland!

Seldane

Gradius 5 rules!

Gradius 1.... not so much. :-&
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/08/2007, 01:00 AM
Quote from: KitsunexusI'm more of a Parodious/Gradius fanboy.
Ummm... why?  Parodius I can understand.  But Gradius?  It's so.... bland!
Because I embrace all SHMUPS with open arms.  Except Cho-Anki. Keep that shit away from me.

NecroPhile

Kitsune - You know you want to embrace the oiled, half-naked, sexy men.  You can't fool me.  :)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Keranu

Cho Aniki blowz Gradius out of the water.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Gradius 5 does indeed kick ass.  The only good thing about any of the other Gradius games was some (not all) of the music.  This is absolute 100% fact.  It is written in the Bible and the Koran.

Kitsu is afraid that Cho Aniki may release suppressed feelings hidden deep inside of him.  :)

CrackTiger

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 05/08/2007, 09:37 AMBecause I embrace all SHMUPS with open arms.  Except Cho-Anki. Keep that shit away from me.
What if it was beastman on beastman flirting?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Kitsunexus

Quote from: guest on 05/09/2007, 12:36 AM
Quote from: Kitsunexus on 05/08/2007, 09:37 AMBecause I embrace all SHMUPS with open arms.  Except Cho-Anki. Keep that shit away from me.
What if it was beastman on beastman flirting?
I plead the Fifth!

j/k  :wink:

TurboXray

Man.. how can you not like Cho Aniki? I can see, *maybe*, if you don't like Ai Cho Aniki - but Cho Aniki? Come on! Get over that homophobia and enjoy a great game [-o<

The graphics in Ai Cho Aniki are great, but that game is HARD :shock:

Kitsunexus

Quote from: TurboXray on 05/09/2007, 10:28 PMGet over that homophobia
Umm, no. You see, I have no problem with gays, I talk with them and everything. But I don't slam my straightness in your face, don't slam your gayness in mine right? Cho Aniki does just that. So I hate it.

Keranu

Ai Cho Aniki is just wacky Japanese humor, I doubt the creators are homosexuals that are trying to slam their gay pride in your face, Kitsune. (or maybe they are?) Either way, don't take it seriously.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 05/09/2007, 10:32 PM
Quote from: TurboXray on 05/09/2007, 10:28 PMGet over that homophobia
Umm, no. You see, I have no problem with gays, I talk with them and everything. But I don't slam my straightness in your face, don't slam your gayness in mine right? Cho Aniki does just that. So I hate it.
Don't most mainstream games shove rampant heterosexuality in your face with buff he-men and filthy dirt sluts goin' at it left and right?

Joe Redifer

Where was the favorite game babes thread?  I need to slam my heterosexuality into your face and post some more pictures!

Keranu

I find Final Fantasy to slam more homosexuality in all your faces than Cho Aniki.
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Keranu on 05/10/2007, 12:37 AMI find Final Fantasy to slam more homosexuality in all your faces than Cho Aniki.
There's a difference between femmesexuality and homoosexuality and femtardsexuality.

Amano androngenous FF characters's being more femme'y and that other guy's inbred uniquely-disabled fashionly challenged manboy parade being over the top femtardastic.

All the main characters in FFXII look like Matt Damon dressed in baby clothes with alternate hairstyles. And it has the best looking characters since FFVII.

Seldane

I disagree. The characters in FF7 looked like trolls/monsters. Look at Tifa! Disgusting!
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Seldane on 05/10/2007, 09:45 AMI disagree. The characters in FF7 looked like trolls/monsters. Look at Tifa! Disgusting!
True, but they're still less ridiculously dressed and less inbred looking than the FF's that followed.

Seldane

Maybe you're right, but at least they aren't downright repulsive like, again, Tifa. :)

Let's be disgusted together:

/ff73ms1.jpg
IMG

Kitsunexus

You're kidding. I really hope you're kidding. Tifa = HOT.

Seldane

:(

You're into old ladies then?
IMG

Kitsunexus

Tifa is 20 years old. If that's an old lady to you, then you really need to stop fapping to lolicon.

OldRover

Tifa's got major redeye in that pic. :D
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Seldane on 05/07/2007, 09:26 AMKonami ruined scaling/rotation for me with their horrible Castlevania games for GBA.
So uh, you just hate everything, is that right?
IMG

Keranu

Tifa has one messed up face, it almost looks like she has a beak. Uggh and those small pointy noses.
IMG

Joe Redifer

And her legs are over twice as long as the rest of her body.

Seldane

Quote from: Keranu on 05/12/2007, 01:16 AMTifa has one messed up face, it almost looks like she has a beak. Uggh and those small pointy noses.
Right right right! :D

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/12/2007, 01:38 AMAnd her legs are over twice as long as the rest of her body.
So true! :D
IMG

Kitsunexus

Well Tifa is really the only hot HUMAN videogame girl I like...

CrackTiger

Quote from: Kitsunexus on 05/12/2007, 04:59 PMWell Tifa is really the only hot HUMAN videogame girl I like...
Probably because she looks so much like an animal.

Keranu

Quote from: guest on 05/12/2007, 07:50 PM
Quote from: Kitsunexus on 05/12/2007, 04:59 PMWell Tifa is really the only hot HUMAN videogame girl I like...
Probably because she looks so much like an animal.
Haaaahahaha  :mrgreen: !
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: TurboXraythe SegaCD was limited to one 16 color palette for *all* the scaling/rotation and was limited to 30fps at best (small window) and much less FPS for full screen window(scaling/rotation).
The huge purple scaling ship in stage 1 (that you fly into) of Soul Star has at least 24 colors on it, and that is not counting the other objects onscreen that are also scaling that have different colors that are not on the giant ship.  I don't mean to sound smug, but that kind of throws your 16-color limit for ALL the scaling and rotation out the window.

SOULSTAR003.png

I cropped everything that wasn't this ship out of the screen, including the player ship (black box in the image), even though the player ship happens to scale.  That leaves us with 23 colors for the purple ship alone, and the entire ship isn't even on the screen.

GUTS

^^ Also the parts where you can walk around have the floor scaling and rotating, and that was full screen.  Same with Battlecorps.  Both had a good framerate.

CrackTiger

What about the aircraft carrier at the beginning of AfterBurner II PCE? It was a whole bg layer and (depending on how you want to count it) it's got 16 - 25+ colors.  :P

Joe Redifer

I'm sure it does.  It also has a frame rate of about 5fps.

esteban

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/16/2007, 08:42 PMI'm sure it does.  It also has a frame rate of about 5fps.
I think you're being generous. :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/16/2007, 08:42 PMI'm sure it does.  It also has a frame rate of about 5fps.
It also doesn't have hardware scaling like the big guys.

And don't the bonus stages in Sonic CD run at 6 fps?  :wink:

nat

NEC Avenue was smart to leave the "SEGA" logo on that aircraft carrier.

That way, as PCE/Turbo players played the game and experienced the lousy framerate first-hand, the craptacular experience would be in their minds forever associated with..... You guessed it: SEGA.   :lol:  :dance:  :wink:
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guestAnd don't the bonus stages in Sonic CD run at 6 fps?  :wink:
A solid 15fps.  Sonic CD is a piece-o-shit game all around.

Zero Tolerance on the Genesis doesn't use hardware scaling and it puts After Burner on the PCE to shame, even though it only uses about a quarter of the screen.  That's because Sega is full of power and is great.

TurboXray

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/15/2007, 11:57 PM
Quote from: TurboXraythe SegaCD was limited to one 16 color palette for *all* the scaling/rotation and was limited to 30fps at best (small window) and much less FPS for full screen window(scaling/rotation).
The huge purple scaling ship in stage 1 (that you fly into) of Soul Star has at least 24 colors on it, and that is not counting the other objects onscreen that are also scaling that have different colors that are not on the giant ship.  I don't mean to sound smug, but that kind of throws your 16-color limit for ALL the scaling and rotation out the window.

SOULSTAR003.png

I cropped everything that wasn't this ship out of the screen, including the player ship (black box in the image), even though the player ship happens to scale.  That leaves us with 23 colors for the purple ship alone, and the entire ship isn't even on the screen.
Uhh yeah, you can combine both BG layers for up to 31 colors( 1 is repeated)- but it's still limited to 16 colors per layer like I said. There are tricks you can do but the point is still the same  - 16(15) colors per layer be it BG layer 1, BG layer 2, or sprite layer if sections(tiles) are going to cross over into other areas.

Joe Redifer

You didn't say per layer, you said
Quotefor *all* the scaling/rotation
That ship is a single BG layer.  No sprites.  No BG2.