10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

PCE Wireless Controllers???

Started by offsidewing, 05/03/2007, 08:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

offsidewing

Does anyone have any experience with these??  I'm thinking about tracking down a tap and a couple of controllers.

Do these things have any bad lag??  I'll mostly be playing RPGs, Puzzle, and basic Bonk/Legendary Axe type games.

How long do the batteries last?  30 minutes or 5 hours (of gameplay)??

That's all.  I just want to see if anyone has had any good or bad experiences.  I know a 6 or 10 ft extension cable is cheap, but I'm thinking wireless. . . .

NecroPhile

I use a pair of these almost exclusively.  There's no lag, but they are infrared so line of sight is important.  You'll be fine, as long as you don't get too excited try to put too much english on your moves.  I don't know exactly how long the batteries last, but I'd say that they last for weeks of gameplay.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

offsidewing

Quote from: guest on 05/03/2007, 09:37 AMI use a pair of these almost exclusively.  There's no lag, but they are infrared so line of sight is important.  You'll be fine, as long as you don't get too excited try to put too much english on your moves.  I don't know exactly how long the batteries last, but I'd say that they last for weeks of gameplay.
Does the IR tap require Batteries as well?

NecroPhile

Nope - just four AAAs in each controller.

offsidewing

Sweet, now I'll just need to justify spending $100 on a new tap and two controllers.  Oh, I can't lay on the couch and play Cosmic Fantasy 2 with out them. 

More over, there is zero chance of my wife coming in the room to read while I play, and then tripping over the controller cord when she gets up (which she does all the time with the PS2 when I play).  SOLD.

CrackTiger

In my game room, I have to set the receiver on top of the entertainment centre thing that my TV sits in and its a lot higher than the level that I hold my pads at. The line of sight problem was so bad that I went back to using an extension cable.

In theory I could use the extension cable for the receiver, but the way things are setup up right now, there's still nowhere for me to sit it around the TV.

Its worth buying if you can make the room for it line up well enough.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

guyjin

possibly cheaper solution: find a playstation to pcengine adapter (they exist) and then a playstation wireless controller. probably easier to come by.

But don't expect to play the 6 button games; the only psx>pce controller adapter i've seen doesn't use them.

offsidewing

Got my brand spanking new boxed wireless controllers (x2) and tap today.  I hooked em up and tried them out.  Pretty nice, no lag at all.  The small 'on/off' switch probably save the battery life a lot.

NO more tripping over the cables or nasty rat's nest of cables.

guyjin

offsidewing

Quote from: guyjin on 05/11/2007, 12:26 AMhires pics plz k thx
...computing...

High Resolution Pictures, Pulitzer?  Strike.  George Lucas.

Oh,

Please post some High Resolution Pictures!  Of the boxes, controllers, or my lazy @$$ on the couch playing?

guyjin

NecroPhile

Quote from: offsidewing on 05/11/2007, 12:10 PMor my lazy @$$ on the couch playing?
Of you playing PC Engine games with the new wireless controllers or of you playing with yourself (I really don't want to see the latter).

If you don't mind telling, where did you pick up a pair of brand new controllers and for how much?  Did you get one controller / tap combo (PI-PD11) and one controller (PI-PD12), or did you just get two combos?

Turbo D

he probably bought them on ebay for $118.00
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

offsidewing

Nope.  I have a man on the ground in Toyko.  $122 shipped.  Nice sleuthing though.

offsidewing

Pics of the wireless controller and boxes.  I'm sorry if the size of my ginormous schlong in the third picture frightens you

2X4

That's sweet.  Do you notice the line of sight issue that others mentioned?  also, how many controllers does the receiver support?
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

offsidewing

Yeah, the tap supports 5 players.  Each controller has a switch above the D-Pad with positions 1-5 marked.  I may see if the wife wants to play bonk 3 or bomberman to try out the multiplayer aspect.

The line of sight isn't too bad.  30 degrees of vertical range, and 70 degrees of horizontal (lateral) range.  I sit about 6-7 feet from the tap, so the distance opens up the range a lot.  I could see if I were sitting close to the unit where the range could be annoying, but then why would I need a cordless remote?

I'm really pleased with the controller itself too.  No lag, no choppy transmitting, and they don't weigh four pounds.  They are solid controllers.

I highly recommend them, if you have the means.

2X4

Was there a wireless controller made for the U.S. Duo?  It seems like I remember hearing about that recently.  Either way, I know it would be easy to convert one, I was just curious.

NecroPhile

There's no US IR controllers that I know of, but the PC Engine's work just fine with US Duos (as all PC Engine controllers do).  I'm unsure if they will work with a converter on a TG-16, but I don't see why not.

2X4

well actually, with the wired controllers if you take them apart there is  a clip that slides off the board and I believe all turbo system control pads have the same type of connector clip, so converting it would take only a minute.  I asked about the US one more in the interest of availability, as the pc engine ones aren't that easy to find.  A little research suggests that a US version is impossible to find, but I could have sworn I saw pics of ones for the US Duo a while back.  Oh well.

offsidewing

I VAGUELY remember a 'generic' wireless controller for the turbo.  This is over 15 years ago.  I remember the quality of it being slightly better than that of a happy meal toy.  I could be dead wrong and it may have been a NES controller, but I'm almost positive it was for the Turbo.

Speaking of which, anyone know where I can track down a Duo to Turbo pad adapter?

NecroPhile

Make your own or buy a replacement cable from TZD (or use a cable from a dead controller).

Turbo D

I couldn't take it, I ended up buying the PC ENGINE CORDLESS TAP AND PAD!!! Ya, you definitely inspired me offsidewing.
IMG IMG
IMG

offsidewing

Quote from: turbo D on 05/15/2007, 02:48 PMI couldn't take it, I ended up buying the PC ENGINE CORDLESS TAP AND PAD!!! Ya, you definitely inspired me offsidewing.
I'm pleased.  It's a little pricey, but considering it's a quality component and it keeps the gaming area more tidy, I don't have any buyers remorse.  I've got a couple more pads on the way for Bomberman and Battlefield Wrestling Tournaments.

2X4

Ok where the crap did you buy it?!!!  I've been scouring the net and all I could find was one controller.  If you don't want to share your sources I understand, but is there some obvious place I don't know about?

And how do you make your own?

*edit* oh yeah, you meant make your own adapter.  Offsidewing, like I said just take the controller apart and you can see the wire harness that clips onto your board inside the pad. take the other controller apart, switch the cables and you're done!  Something even I'm capable of.

Turbo D

IMG IMG
IMG

offsidewing

I now have a Cordless tap and one, two, three, four, five, FIVE brand new cordless controllers AH-AH-AH!!