@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

How the heck do you pronounce "Veigues"???

Started by kid_rondeau, 05/05/2007, 07:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kid_rondeau

I've heard:

VAY-guss
VEE-guss
"Vegas"
VEEG-iss
VAY-gyooz

and about fifteen other variations.

I'm tempted to go with "VAY-gyooz".

Seldane

Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

Turbo D

I always pronounce it like Las Vegas, haha. Games with strange titles are fun cuz everyone thinks of the pronunciation in there own way.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Tatsujin

according the japanese it should be called "Ueigus" or "Veigus".
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Joe Redifer

TurboXray

I pronounce it, "Drunken ice skating robot".

offsidewing

Growing up, we just called it VEE-GEE-US.  We had no idea.  To this day we still call it that.

esteban

I always pronounced it as "Veegz",

AND I WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO.

:)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: Seldane on 05/05/2007, 07:45 AMI say veigz (like vague.....s). :P
That's how I always pronounced it as well.
IMG

runinruder

Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

motdelbuort

I always pronounced it Vie-gyooz.

Is "ei" ever pronounced the same as "ie?"

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion/blackmail!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Digi.k

Isn't Veigues made by Game-Arts and released in japan by Victor JVC ?

Still I really like the graphics in that.. shame that the mecha is soo big >.>

esteban

Quote from: Digi.k on 05/06/2007, 06:32 AMIsn't Veigues made by Game-Arts and released in japan by Victor JVC ?

Still I really like the graphics in that.. shame that the mecha is soo big >.>
Veigues is a great game -- the big mecha works as far as gameplay is concerned... unlike, say, the bloated sprite of Rastan Saga II that wasn't given a stage design to match the sprite's proportions (IMO, anyway).

Keranu

Quote from: stevek666 on 05/05/2007, 02:44 PMI always pronounced it as "Veegz",

Right on, same here!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

CrackTiger

I never bothered to actually read the title and have always just called it 'Vegas".
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

PCEngineHell

LOL I actually respect Rastan 2 alot and despise Gaygus Super Retarded Fuckbot. Easily one of Game Arts worst titles ever. I played through it once as a teen and never picked it up again cause I hated it so so much.

offsidewing

VEE-GEE-US.

Like Farve, caveat, and Wednesday.

I have no idea how it's pronounced.  I doubt there is anyone left in the world that knows. Scholars maintain that the pronounciation was lost hundreds of years ago.  I could send it to an editor and probably find out the correct pronounciation, but no the definitive one.

Mr Veigues, where are you. . . .

esteban

Quote from: PCEngineHell on 05/08/2007, 12:34 PMLOL I actually respect Rastan 2 alot and despise Gaygus Super Retarded Fuckbot. Easily one of Game Arts worst titles ever. I played through it once as a teen and never picked it up again cause I hated it so so much.
Well, I actually enjoy Rastan Saga 2 -- it's delivered far more enjoyment than I had anticipated. Veigues still trounces it, though. :)

_Paul

It is pronounced (BAY=)VAY (rhyming with Hay) GUS (although the U should be a little more like in hood and not must)

2X4

Im with stevek666, runinruder and keranu, I've always assumed that it was like veegz.  That doesn't make it right, but I don't think vay gus is necessarily right because we don't always pronounce things exactly the same in the US.  Like how Ys is pronounced ee-su in Japan.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Turbo D

wow cool, I didn't know that Y's was supposed to be pronounced ee-su  :o
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

ParanoiaDragon

Yup, & there's also no apostraphe after the Y in Ys. :)
IMG

Kitsunexus

Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

_Paul

Quote from: 2X4 on 05/12/2007, 10:08 AMIm with stevek666, runinruder and keranu, I've always assumed that it was like veegz.  That doesn't make it right, but I don't think vay gus is necessarily right because we don't always pronounce things exactly the same in the US.  Like how Ys is pronounced ee-su in Japan.
When going with made up words, the katakana pronunciation is generally an accurate guide to go by. If it was supposed to be pronounced veegz (assuming you mean a 'j' as in 'jam' sound for the g there) it would have probably been spelt BI-JI-ZU, or for a hard g, BI-GU-ZU / BI-GU-SU.

Ys is spelt I-SU in Japan, but not pronounced ee-su, as it is common practice to drop the U in SU at the end of a word.
i.e. DESU ('is')= pronounced DES. It can be pronounced with the U but usually.

I find katakana very handy to find direct pronunciation, excepting of course that original English words will be a little distorted. Mind you, on translation a lot of sounds are altered due to the American's habit for certain vowels. A good example is Pokemon, which should be POK-EH-MON, not POHKEYMON.

2X4

No no, not J, G, a hard g. They don't pronounce the U?  Man, they say english is hard to learn, at least we have one alphabet.  Oh yeah, how can I take your word when you mis-spell spelled?   :wink:

_Paul

Quote from: 2X4 on 05/13/2007, 08:16 AMNo no, not J, G, a hard g. They don't pronounce the U?  Man, they say english is hard to learn, at least we have one alphabet.  Oh yeah, how can I take your word when you mis-spell spelled?   :wink:
I'm no expert on Japanese but I've seen/heard/tried to translate enough of it to know that's right.

Ande spelt iz u propper wurd soh thre

Quotespell 1       (spěl)  Pronunciation Key 
v.   spelled or spelt (spělt), spell·ing, spells
v.   tr.
To name or write in order the letters constituting (a word or part of a word).

2X4

You have got to be fist f-ing me here.  Spelt is a word?!  I'll be a son of a chicken rustler!  I guess you done spelt 'er right after all!  :lol:  My apologies.

Seldane

Paul is right. Ys is not pronouced i-su. Even the japanese pronounce it [i:s] (as is the proper pronouncation in English).
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: Seldane on 05/13/2007, 11:56 AMPaul is right. Ys is not pronouced i-su. Even the japanese pronounce it [i:s] (as is the proper pronouncation in English).
And Valis isn't Va-ree-su and 'By Hudson' isn't Bah-ee Haw-doh-saw'n!!!.  :dance:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

For the record, I pronounce it as...

Veigues = VEEGHZ (rhymes with "leagues"... one syllable with hard "g", as in "gullible")

Also, I find it necessary to refer to the game by its entire name ("Veigues Tactical Gladiator") at all times, perhaps because it is a mouthful, perhaps because "tactical gladiator" sounds so badass (if nonsensical).

...AND I WILL CONTINUE TO DO SO.

---------

Ys = eese (as in geese). The Japanese folks clearly borrowed from Western mythology (if only for the name). Let's put it this way: would it be  "Uh - pah - roe" or simply "Apollo"?

NecroPhile

Quote from: 2X4 on 05/13/2007, 11:45 AMYou have got to be fist f-ing me here.  Spelt is a word?!  I'll be a son of a chicken rustler!  I guess you done spelt 'er right after all!  :lol:  My apologies.
Don't feel too bad 2x4.  "Spelt" is chiefly a British form for the past (or past participle) of spell.  It's also a term for a type of wheat.  So now you know, and knowing is half the battle.  :wink:
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

ParanoiaDragon

Hmm, if I ever start finishing my hip hop projects, maybe I should do an album called Paranoia Dragon the Tactical Gladiator!  That does sound kind cool :D
IMG

cho_aniki

"Spelt" is also the correct form for us South Africans,  what is the american equivalent?

Veigues is meant to be pronounced like the english word "vague" with a "z" sound at the end.  In fact the katakana spelling is exactly the same as 
    for the english word vague except for the ズ(z) at the end. 

I also think the words Tactical Gladiator in the title sound lekker ( South African for very very very good).

_Paul

Just nobody start asking how to pronounce Gotzendeiner.  :-$

Keranu

Quote from: cho_aniki on 05/14/2007, 03:42 PM"Spelt" is also the correct form for us South Africans,  what is the american equivalent?

Veigues is meant to be pronounced like the english word "vague" with a "z" sound at the end.  In fact the katakana spelling is exactly the same as 
    for the english word vague except for the ズ(z) at the end. 

I also think the words Tactical Gladiator in the title sound lekker ( South African for very very very good).
I am American, but I still use "spelt" often. I guess the more common American was is "spelled"?
IMG

nat

Growing up my mom was a big health nut.

I've always been familiar with "spelt" as the wheat-grain derivative.

That said, I've always used "spelled" in reference to spelling. "Spelt" just seems weird to me as it brings images of bread to mind.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

termis

ヴェイグス

If you were to use katakana as a guide, I guess it can be read "VAY-GUSS" -- two syllables -- or in a more rapid short-single syllable way like cho_aniki pointed out.  Neither pronunciation would be outright wrong (like "de-su" & "des").  It's definitely using a long "a" vowel, though.

For Japanese dwellers, kinda reminds me of learning how to pronounce the conbini chain サンクス.

And I learned English in the US, and often used "spelt" in writing.  At least for me, it certainly sounds more natural to say "spelt" than "spelled" in speech.

Seldane

Quote from: guest on 05/14/2007, 05:09 PMJust nobody start asking how to pronounce Gotzendeiner.  :-$
As long as you can speak German (or anything that sounds like it) it isn't particularly hard. :P

Götzendeiner... what could it mean though?
IMG

offsidewing

Quote from: Seldane on 05/14/2007, 05:53 PM
Quote from: guest on 05/14/2007, 05:09 PMJust nobody start asking how to pronounce Gotzendeiner.  :-$
As long as you can speak German (or anything that sounds like it) it isn't particularly hard. :P

Götzendeiner... what could it mean though?
Gertz-en-dye-ner.

I believe in old world Bayersch, it literally translates as : "One with a sizably large penis."

Although, 'Goetzen' is a noun I think that means icon or symbol.

Kitsunexus

Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

_Paul

According to the katakana (which is not always accurate with foreign words) it is Ge-shen-dee-nah

Seldane

Quote from: guest on 05/15/2007, 12:47 PMAccording to the katakana (which is not always accurate with foreign words) it is Ge-shen-dee-nah
That's not even remotely right. :P

Gertz-en-dye-ner, what offsidewing wrote, is correct. At least when pronounced in "american".
IMG

offsidewing

Ahhh, I dug through my box of college stuff and found my Cassel's German/English dictionary.

Götze = Idol  Götzen is plural.

Deiner = is a conjugated form of "your" or "yours" but Gotendeiner is a compound noun and the 'deiner' portion would not (or should not be) used to show possessive.  Although, Japanese to German may be a little more convoluted and it may be the best they could come up with.

I know nuttzing about the game.

For all I know, Götzendeiner could be the equivalent to "all your base are..." in Germany.

offsidewing

Oooo, if it's really spelled "Götzendiener"  pronounced Gertz-en-dee-ner than it literally means Idol Servant, which I would loosely translate as Idol Worshiper.

Since I don't know one thing about the game, I couldn't tell you if that applies to is or not.

Maybe Veigues is French?

CrackTiger

Quote from: offsidewing on 05/15/2007, 05:54 PMOooo, if it's really spelled "Götzendiener"  pronounced Gertz-en-dee-ner than it literally means Idol Servant, which I would loosely translate as Idol Worshiper.

Since I don't know one thing about the game, I couldn't tell you if that applies to is or not.

Maybe Veigues is French?
There's a large statue in the first area, maybe the bad guys are worshipping that?

MotherGunner

-MG

SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM (If you want peace, Prepare for war)
SI VIS BELLUM, PARA MATRIMONIUM (If you want war, Prepare for marriage)

jlued686

Quote from: esteban on 05/05/2007, 02:44 PMI always pronounced it as "Veegz",

That's how I always pronounced it, too. Isn't that how they pronounced it in one of those Turbo promotional videos?