Back on the ebay trail for now

Started by OldRover, 05/07/2007, 01:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldRover

that is, until I get this new video game auction site up and running...might be another year or so. Oh well, it'll happen someday. Anyone wanna help out?

Anyways, I'm "adosorken" on ebay. I've just made two bids on items that I'm looking for, copies of Neutopia and Keith Courage. I also snagged one of those Gamebit things earlier.

Okay, here's what else I'm looking for...copies of the following hucard games:
Neutopia II, Ankoku Densetsu (I have The Legendary Axe II, I just want the PCE version also), Sinistron, Sidearms, Turrican, Parasol Stars, Cadash, Ninja Spirit, Vigilante, Silent Debuggers.

I'll probably add more to the list later on.

It really sucks not having a computer of my own. :(
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

kenomac78

your planning a game auction site? thats cool!  i hope you bury ePay

Seldane

There is (was?) a video game auction site around called videogameauctions.co.uk..... it sucked. I can't find it anymore. Probably dead.

I don't see anything wrong with Ebay. Except for the Paypal bit. They suck. They stole money from me. The bastards.

Other than that, no problems.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

OldRover

The problem with ebay is that they care nothing for illegal sales that make a lot of money. Only when they stand to get into trouble legally do they lift a finger. Also, sniping runs rampant. Some people here I believe were talking a couple of years back about starting up an auction site just for video games. I could host such a project and probably code it as well, but right now I simply don't have the time to code such a massive effort.
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

kenomac78

i hate sniping too!!

also who is to say that a millionaire who can afford everything on ebay isntmore devoted to whatever they are buying that the person who makes 16000 a year and cant afford to buy things on a whim.

plus it leads to the end of things left in the wild. it encourages people to buy everything up at flea markets, etc. at first site then recycle them on ebay for a higher price. and discourages people to sell or donate to fleas, goodwill, or giving to a good home, since for almost the same effort it can sit on ebay for 10 days and make some more money. it means nothing of value is left in the wild, and everything on ebay is over inflated.  just look at the common complete games for ANY system selling  for much more than they are worth. simply because they arent found in the wild anymore. being sold by rubes who think  these games are worth a fortune, because maybe 25 games in all the world are  really worth over $500. then inturn being bought by even bigger rubes who think that it is the  only copy left in existance and therefore must be a good deal.

nat

Quote from: OldRover on 05/07/2007, 01:18 AMAnyways, I'm "adosorken" on ebay. I've just made two bids on items that I'm looking for, copies of Neutopia and Keith Courage.
Dude, you need KC? Why didn't you say?

I have approximately 5,456 copies. I would've GIVEN you one for the cost of shipping.

Oh, wait. I think you live in Europe or something, don't you? Nevermind then.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

2X4

Dude, I don't know what sick fate has befallen you that you somehow don't have a copy of Kieth Courage, but I will give you one if you take care of the shipping.  You seriously don't have it?  Now that's a first.  I think Kieth Courage carts grow in my HuCard port if I don't keep it clean and sanitized.

Cool idea, though I fear the bid snipers would quickly settle in on your site, as well as numb-nutted fools who try to sell loose HuCards for $20.  Unless you somehow intigrate a system that governs that kind of duche baggery.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

NecroPhile

Bid sniping would be easy to kill by extending auctions by five or ten minutes whenever a bid is placed within the last few minutes.  That would give plenty of time for others to increase their bids accordingly (proxy bidding works just as well).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

offsidewing

Sniping.

When I put stuff on ePay, I elimate sniping by placing the opening bid roughly at market price.  A seven day auction is really 6 days, 23 hours, and 59 minutes of advertising, then 60 seconds of bidding.

Example,  if I were to sell my copy of Xracula D, I would put the opening bid at $100.  Right now, probably won't go for much more than $125, unless there is some caveate like a "where are they now" showing up in a magazine somewhere.

The key for buyers is knowing the market.  Don't kid yourself.  Nothing says you deserve the item more because you've watched it since 30 seconds after it posted, or because your the biggest fan of (ITEM) since the third grade.  If the market says Xracula D is worth $125, it's going to sell very close to that.  I don't care if the auction is at $35 with 2 minutes left, the game is going to sell for what the market bares.  Anyone who pays more than market for a game (or anything) isn't very smart with their $$$ and will probably be putting that beast back on ebay the next time their car needs brakes or they go over on their cell phone minutes.

On a personal note, I never bid more than I'm willing to pay for the item.  That elminates me getting all krunked if I loose an item with 4 seconds left.  I'm more pissed if I get caught up in bidding and spend even 5 bucks more that I was originally willing to pay.  I've never heard of "not winning an auction remorse."

Keranu

I definitely wouldn't mind seeing a auction site dedicated to video games. You make a good point about being able to freely sell and purchase illegal items too.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

offsidewing

Quote from: Keranu on 05/07/2007, 11:57 PMI definitely wouldn't mind seeing a auction site dedicated to video games. You make a good point about being able to freely sell and purchase illegal items too.
Or this piece of mulch I found today that has a striking likeness to (insert worshiped deity here) that I can sell on ebay for $4500!!!!

OldRover

When I bought the briefcase setup from D-Lite, it came with no software whatsoever outside of the ACD. It was fine with me, since I had only planned on using the system for testing new ACD software we're developing. But now, since it's gonna be awhile before I get the damn CDROM running, I figured I might buy up a few cards too. I had bought The Legendary Axe II around the same time I picked up the system and got to play it once before I sent the CDROM base back to D-Lite for repairs (and then got a different base unit back...one that didn't work and is missing most of its screws...grr). The other day, I found a multivolt AC adapter that outputs 1000mA, it runs the TG deck itself so I played the game again, woohoo. :)

I'll gladly pay shipping for a working copy of KC, I don't care where it comes from as long as it's in English. :D I can pay through paypal no problem and give a little extra too. Please send me a PM if you wanna get one off your hands. :D

shubibiman

I think Ebay should use the same system as Yahoo auctions to avoid sniping. Basically, each time someone bids, 10 minutes are added to the auction to allow others to make a bid.
Self proclamed Aldynes World Champion

Seldane

I think you all love Ebay more than anybody. I've never seen a place with such a mad amount of Ebay discussion, anywhere. It's like every other thread posted on Pcenginefx is about "Ebay sucks!"

It's like a kid having a crush on another one - saying bad things to him/her, teasing him/her, "hating" him/her, etc etc etc.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

NecroPhile

So I like to pull ebay's hair every now and then.  What's your point?  :)

termis

Just like any marketplace, it's not too difficult to get ripped off on ebay if you don't do your research beforehand.  On the otherhand, I can list countless number of items that I got through on ebay that saved me tons of search time and/or cash.

And I don't see a big deal with sniping at all.  I personally don't do it because it's a waste of my time.  I just always bid the maximum amount that I'm actually willing to pay, and I'm done with it.  Because of this, I can't think of a single time where I was outbid by a sniper on something that I really wanted.  For those items where I didn't care too much and got outbid at the last moment, no big deal - the person was simply willing to pay more than me for it.

offsidewing

Quote from: Seldane on 05/11/2007, 11:53 AMI think you all love Ebay more than anybody. I've never seen a place with such a mad amount of Ebay discussion, anywhere. It's like every other thread posted on Pcenginefx is about "Ebay sucks!"

It's like a kid having a crush on another one - saying bad things to him/her, teasing him/her, "hating" him/her, etc etc etc.
Is there a place with a larger selection of Turbo/PCE stuff??  Man these Niche market things are tricky.

If there's some other forum or secret society that has a large selection of Turbo stuff readily available at any time for my impulse purchase needs, please tell me!!

Since there is not.  I will SMARTLY shop on ebay, unless there is someone here who wants to sell me a good condition Exile: WP for the turbo for $25.

OldRover

I don't really like ebay but frankly, it's the only place there is for most of this stuff, and that's rather sad.

Seldane

IMG

NecroPhile

There's always auctions on yahoo japan (unless you only get wet for US releases).  I agree with thumpin, if the price is too high - don't bid.  If you're patient, almost anything can be bought at fair market value.

MrFulci

offsidewing, there are still some decent sources out there. Here are a few links for places that deal mostly with US TG-16 stuff.

A few places I look at from time to time, that I've also purchased from at least once:

- www.direct4games.com  - based in the UK, lots of new stuff in stock. recently, they lowered prices on some items (Davis Cup Tennis, Bonk's Adventure. Nothing much is more than the equivalent of $60. Their shipping is also a tad high, though, they are pretty up front about their shipping charges so there is nothing much to complain of there.

- www.tzd.com - not much explaining to do there

- http://www.gooddealgames.com/inventory/turbo.html - I've ordered from them in the past, no complaints.

- http://www.mindrec.com/?main=store/index.php  - Stock changes every so often, may find a good deal (They still have Turbo Expresses with Bad Audio)

- http://www.videogameconnections.com/catalog/tg.htm - I've ordered from this place in the past, no issues.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

offsidewing

Quote from: MrFulci on 05/11/2007, 05:59 PMoffsidewing, there are still some decent sources out there. Here are a few links for places that deal mostly with US TG-16 stuff.

A few places I look at from time to time, that I've also purchased from at least once:

- www.direrct4games.com  - based in the UK, lots of new stuff in stock. recently, they lowered prices on some items (Davis Cup Tennis, Bonk's Adventure. Nothing much is more than the equivalent of $60. Their shipping is also a tad high, though, they are pretty up front about their shipping charges so there is nothign much to complain of there.

- www.tzd.com - not much explaining to do there

- http://www.gooddealgames.com/inventory/turbo.html - I've ordered from them in the past, no complaints

- http://www.mindrec.com/?main=store/index.php  - Stock changes every so often, may find a good deal (They still have Turbo Expresses with Bad Audio)

- http://www.videogameconnections.com/catalog/tg.htm - I've ordered from this place in the apst, no issues.
Thanks for the list!  Added to favorites!

MrFulci

typo on the first url! Corrected!
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".