@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Ghetto Duo-R

Started by offsidewing, 05/08/2007, 09:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

offsidewing

I couldn't stand staring at my "smoker's teeth brown"  Duo-R anymore.  I just airbrushed it enamle black.  Part of myself hates... myself for doing it.  But I just couldn't take the browness anymore.

I'll know in a few hours what it looks like.  I'll touch up the raised lettering with the tip of a silver sharpie for some contrast.  I taped up the light and the serial number stick since I have the matching box.  Should look (.)(.) on the NEC letters.

Mixed emotions.  I feel like I just cheated on my wife...

MrFulci

Where are the pictures? I've seen a Sega Genesis painted white, never a Duo-R painted black.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

offsidewing

I'll post some pre-lims in a second...

IMG_2045.jpg

Keranu

Quote from: offsidewing on 05/08/2007, 09:22 PMMixed emotions.  I feel like I just cheated on my wife...
Haha, I know exactly how that feels! It sucks, but hey a brown Duo-R couldn't be very pretty. I think the black paint job you did turned out great, looks cooler than I expected.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

offsidewing

Quote from: Keranu on 05/08/2007, 11:10 PM
Quote from: offsidewing on 05/08/2007, 09:22 PMMixed emotions.  I feel like I just cheated on my wife...
Haha, I know exactly how that feels! It sucks, but hey a brown Duo-R couldn't be very pretty. I think the black paint job you did turned out great, looks cooler than I expected.
I think it turned out better than I though myself.  I need to be patient with the paint drying though.  I just checked and she's a tad damp still.  Looks good in pics, and not too shabby up close.  It was a quick job so I could be playing it my tomorrow.  Maybe I'll look for a broken duo-R/RX and do it up right.  Sand it, prime it, paint it, clear coat it.  Mmmm.  A nice piano black, like the PSP.  Man, that's sounds nice.

nat

What kind of paint did you use (brand, etc)?
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

offsidewing

It's you basic cheapo type paint black paint.  I use it to seal composites in order to protect against water damage and it always looks freaking sweat when I apply it to carbon fiber.  So I figured I'd pimp out the Duo-R with it.  I did apply it evenly and slowly.  Two thin coats.  It's cheap, so the texture isn't the greatest.  I'll have to see how the Duo-R composite exterior reacts to the spray paint.  It could flake off, it could stay on forever.

The open button has been colored silver with a sharpie, same with the power switch.  I can't wait to see this thing put together.

Ghetto yes, but better than faded shit-stain underware brown.

TurboXray

I've used the vinyl/plastic dye spray in a can. It has that perfect sheen between matte and eggshell. Though I did my black US duo White back in spring '93.

gundarN

Just admit it, you want it to look like a PS3.

offsidewing

I want it to look like my Marantz quadrephonic rear-amp from 1974, but I can't find a wood grain pattern spray paint!

I'm kind of partial to the black/grey/blue color combo.  A blue LED would be sweet.

If I do another, I'm going to paint it Blue because I've never seen a Blue Duo before.

The paint was just about dry when I left the house this morning.  I should have a couple pics posted tonight of what it looks like.

Seldane

Marantz amps are beautiful.

Get a blue LED for your Duo. I did it and it looks sweet. The Duo's obviously meant to have a blue LED. :wink:

Only problem is that it is a tad too strong, it practically lits up the entire room when it's dark outside. :)

/p1102075vj4.jpg
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

offsidewing

In college, we named one of the alternate colors for Dhalsm (sp) in Street Fighter 2 "Hurt your eyes blue" Dhalsm.

That LED would also be considered "hurt your eyes blue."

I'm at work, so it's back to saving the world!

Ninja Spirit

Quote from: Seldane on 05/09/2007, 09:00 AMOnly problem is that it is a tad too strong, it practically lits up the entire room when it's dark outside. :)

/p1102075vj4.jpg
I like that! sounds like my laptop LED light. not to mention blue's my favorite color

GUTS

Seldane did you buy that from D-Lite?  Just curious because mine has the exact same super strong blue LED and I bought it from him.  I have the top off now while I'm trying to get the RGB thing to work and that LED is so bright that I have to put electrical tape over it or it's honestly blinding.

Keranu

Haha, damn is the light that strong? After you guys mentioned it, the pic itself is even hurting my eyes!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Seldane

No I installed it myself actually. I figured it would fit well with the Duo's white case + blue logo. I put one in my purple Gamecube as well. I even put had one in my previous (clear blue) computer case and that one didn't even have that plastic "light spreader", it was just sitting in a hole, and I gotta tell you - that was one strong light!  I honestly didn't even need another lamp when I had the computer on - it actually lit the whole place up!
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

offsidewing

Submitted for your approval...

The PC Engine Duo-R: Offsidewing Special Edition

IMG_2048.jpg

Seldane

That looks cool! The red led fits it much more nicely than I would've thought. Keep away from the blue LEDs! :wink:
IMG

NecroPhile

The R looks good in black tie but you need to smooth out the finish a bit next time.  Do you have any plans for spicing up the logos?
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

peperocket

This BLACK duo-rx look like K2000  :!:
Vive la Supergrafx !!!

CrackTiger

Quote from: offsidewing on 05/09/2007, 05:18 PMSubmitted for your approval...

The PC Engine Duo-R: Offsidewing Special Edition
Make sure you play this game on it first-

IMG
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

2X4

If anyone has a shit colored duo that they are willing to experiment on, I have a suggestion that may help.  You see your duo and you want it painted black?  First, go to a hardware or plumbing supply store and acquire some PVC primer.  It is formulated to take the smooth slickness off of PVC (plastic) pipe and fittings before gluing them together, as well as any dirt.  This stuff would probably take the yellowy shit right off of your duo, as well as prep it better for a paint job, should you decide to go KITT on your duo's ass.  I would recommend spot testing on the bottom somewhere, possibly with a diluted solution.  Even 25% primer may be enough, it's really strong stuff, so you will probably want to open a window as well.  This stuff takes the printing off of PVC pipe, but it obviously doesn't harm the plastic.  I seriously think it would work, but like I said try  diluting it very weak with water first and if it doesn't do anything, add a little more primer to the mix and try again till you get the right results.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

grahf

For you guys in the US wanting a blue LED, Radioshack sells them. They have the super-bright-blinding kind, as well as a less rediculous brightness one. Ive got a normal one in my system. Looks original, and matches the blue lettering on the Duo-R.

offsidewing

Quote from: 2X4 on 05/09/2007, 07:23 PMThis stuff would probably take the yellowy shit right off of your duo, as well as prep it better for a paint job, should you decide to go KITT on your duo's ass.   
Yeah, I did go KITT on my duo's ass.  Or did I go KARR???  Perhaps Goliath?!?!  Hmmm, sequenced LED's....

I never thought about slappin' some Christie's primer on the duo.  It will yank the blue logo right off the plastic fo sho.  I repaired many a golf course irrigation pipe back on my youth.  Open a window, because when you nose runs after inhaling that sh!t, it's not snot.  It's your liquified brains oozing out your nose.

Joe Redifer

I can tell where you've touched it.

Also, blue LEDs by nature are extremely bright.  Good luck finding one that isn't.

Seldane

I think the brightness is neat, but if you don't like it you can always install a resistor or two.
IMG

kenomac78

nice!

if only there was a way to reaplpy the DUO RX logo!

2X4

Stay away from the logo.  when you get the rest cleaned up, do the edges around the logo with a q-tip.

Quote from: offsidewing on 05/09/2007, 10:47 PMYeah, I did go KITT on my duo's ass.  Or did I go KARR???  Perhaps Goliath?!?!  Hmmm, sequenced LED's....
Nope, if you went KARR on your duo's ass, it would have a blue light (but not "hurt your eyes blue").
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .