R-TYPE TACTICS - PSP (turn-based strategy R-Type!)

Started by handygrafx, 05/23/2007, 10:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

handygrafx

R-TYPE TACTICS for PSP ( turn-based strategy R-Type ! )

:mrgreen:

talk about "I never in a million years saw that one coming"

a famous space shmup / shoot 'em up series,
(the first game being the first killer-app for the PC-Engine btw)
becomes a turn-based hexagonal strategy game for PSP.

/57774_rtt1_122_497lo.jpg
/57780_rtt2_122_1192lo.jpg

/iup385196yf2.jpg
R-TypeTactics1.jpg
678.jpg
680.jpg   
Reference: wayback.1up.com/reviews/r-type-command

The first thing I thought when I saw this was, "R-Type Nectaris"   :mrgreen:

Although I seriously still want a new Nectaris / Military Madness game on PSP, or DS. 

However R-Type Tactics looks like it'll be a must-have, even if it's not localized--Neo Nectaris wasn't, and that didn't stop me from importing it.

handygrafx

http://www.pocketgamer.co.uk/r/PSP/R-Type+...news.asp?c=3141

QuoteR-Type Tactics announced for PSP
A change of direction for the classic shooter franchise?

Product: R-Type Tactics
Developer: Irem
Genre: Shooter, Strategy

by João Diniz Sanches

Irem has just revealed R-Type Tactics to the Japanese press. The latest instalment in the popular shoot-'em-up series, the screenshots of Tactics revealed so far (in the trusty Japanese magazine Famitsu) look suitably beautiful, but then graphical splendour has traditionally been a hallmark of the series.

As has relentless alien blasting, of course. However, the new game's name suggests a change for the series. Indeed, reports claim R-Type Tactics is a turn-based affair rather than the straightforward side-scrolling shooting action typically associated with the game's predecessors (which date back to the late '80s). This would certainly tie-in with the wi-fi multiplayer support the game is said to feature.

We'll keep an eye on this one and report back once we have more details.
wayback.kotaku.com/gaming/holy-shit/r+type-tactics
QuoteHoly S***
R-Type Tactics... R-Type. Tactics.

Looks like Irem wasn't kidding when it titled R-Type Final, the supposed final shoot 'em up in the long running, hard-as-hell sidescrolling series. Yes, details are scarce, but from what we can gather by these awful, awful scans from the latest Famitsu, R-Type is ditching twitch gameplay for a more chin-rubbingly strategic bent. Hex-based, turn-based and awesome-based, R-Type Tactics looks like a crazy cross-genre shooter that's just crazy enough to work.

I promise, I'll be watching like a hawk for any and all updates on R-Type Tactics. Keep your eyes peeled for news and the inevitable online campaign for a North American release.
http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=164635
QuoteNew R-Type takes flight on PSP
Wednesday 23-May-2007 12:56 PM
R-Type Tactics looks to take the series in a new direction

PSP will be the home of the next R-Type game, titled R-Type Tactics, reveals the latest issue of Famitsu magazine.

Firm gameplay details are yet to be revealed, but the word 'Tactics' in the title suggests it being some sort of turn-based strategy battle game, a theory supported by one of the screens in a blurry photo of the magazine. Just look to the right at the screen above the black box - that looks like a grid-based battle system to us.

We'd hope that the traditional shoot-'em-up gameplay of the series isn't completely abandoned, but we'll have to wait and see.
rtypetactics.jpg

Hobo Xiphas

Like I said in the other thread, this game is going to be awesome.

CrackTiger

QuoteHoly shit!  This looks like my kind of game!  Too bad it is for PSP!

But I am a sucker for anything that uses hexagons!
I only play war sims that use hexagon grids.

Lords of the Rising Sun being the one exception.

This game makes sense to me, having played Vasteel.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Kitsunexus

Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

esteban

IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Ninja Spirit

I seriously can't wait for this. I'm sure alot of you didn't know the Gradius series went the strategy route.

Way back in 1989, there was Cosmic Wars for Famicom
IMG
http://www.vgmuseum.com/pics3/cosmicwars.html

Eight years later, Parodius got one too (Paro Wars)
IMG

esteban

Hey Ninja, I've never heard of those games before -- if you've played them... are they any good?
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Ninja Spirit

I only played a rom of Cosmic Wars for just a few minutes a long time back, so I can't make a rational answer of good or bad.

handygrafx

R-Type Tactics  gameplay trailer, almost 4 minutes long!

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Keranu

Screw you guys, this looks frickin' sweet!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

guyjin

indeed. After you get over the initial 'WTF' it acutally makes sense. here's hoping for a translation!  :dance:

Kitsunexus

After I watched the vid, I admit it's pretty cool, but we still better get an R-type collections disc.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Turbo D

Ya, it does look cool, but it is not r-type.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

handygrafx

Got mine

/pyUn_1210278672_rsz_R-TypeCommand.jpg

Everyone should go out and buy R-Type Command. Irem & Atlus did a nice job on packaging up a decent/average game.

It's slow (much slower than AW) and slower than the original Military Madness, but about the same speed as say, Neo Nectaris or Nectaris on PS1, but R-Type Command is addictive.

Perhaps Hudson is watching. If Command sells decently (doubtful but who knows, AW took off) then maybe Hudson will concider making another Nectaris game.