10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Power Golf appreciation thread

Started by VestCunt, 06/06/2007, 04:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VestCunt

I busted out my $6, sealed copy of Power Golf the other night and I have to admit I'm pleasantly surprised.
Against all expectations, it was not the worst game I've ever spent my time playing (that award goes to Robodemons).

I know nothing about golf, have never played a golf video game before and the sum of my experience prior to Power Golf consisted of whacking some balls on the driving range one afternoon.

Despite this, I found Power Golf to be quick to learn, challenging, addictive and somewhat brainless.

Unlike Deep Blue, China Warrior, Impossamole and other black sheep, Power Golf seems to have no cult following  and no one dares speak its name.  What's wrong with you people?
Topic Adjourned.

Keranu

I agree, it's a decent golf game. It's nothing new or anything special from your typical golf game, but it's not a bad game at all if you're into old skool golf games. Jack Nicklaus, on the other hand, is in my opinion the worst Turbo game ever made.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Seldane

Is it as scary as that old Mario Golf NES game? An overhead golf game would be somewhat interesting I think.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

OldRover

Typically speaking, I dislike sports games.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

offsidewing

Quote from: OldRover on 06/06/2007, 07:23 PMTypically speaking, I dislike sports games.
Golf games are pretty fun.

Power Golf 2 is the worst piece of shit ever.  Power Golf ROCKS!

nat

Quote from: VestCunt on 06/06/2007, 04:02 PMI know nothing about golf, have never played a golf video game before and the sum of my experience prior to Power Golf consisted of whacking some balls on the driving range one afternoon.
This, my friend, is where the problem lies.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

2X4

Quote from: Keranu on 06/06/2007, 04:06 PMI agree, it's a decent golf game. It's nothing new or anything special from your typical golf game, but it's not a bad game at all if you're into old skool golf games. Jack Nicklaus, on the other hand, is in my opinion the worst Turbo game ever made.
I was gonna say, Turbo Golf sucks ass, which is disappointing, because a good golf game can be a perfect time waster, right up there with video game poker.  Maybe I should pick this one up for some Turbo Express time.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Joe Redifer

I like golf videogames and I have a tough time with Power Golf.  It is extremely tough for me to hit the ball straight.  Or far enough.  For some reason it's not as good as Neo Turf Masters on the Neo Geo.

offsidewing

Hot Shots Golf 3 is my fave.  It's one of the 5 Video games made this decade that I own.

Keranu

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 06/06/2007, 08:55 PMI like golf videogames and I have a tough time with Power Golf.  It is extremely tough for me to hit the ball straight.  Or far enough.  For some reason it's not as good as Neo Turf Masters on the Neo Geo.
Top Players Golf for Neo Geo is my favorite golf game of all time. People seem to be more interested in Neo Turf Masters, but man Top Players Golf has the ultimate relaxing feel.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: VestCunt on 06/06/2007, 04:02 PMUnlike Deep Blue, China Warrior, Impossamole and other black sheep, Power Golf seems to have no cult following  and no one dares speak its name.  What's wrong with you people?
Don't forget Night Creatures. I love that game!  :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

offsidewing

POW-WER GOLF!  POW-WER GOLF!

Keranu

Quote from: offsidewing on 06/06/2007, 07:27 PMPower Golf 2 is the worst piece of shit ever.  Power Golf ROCKS!
I've been wanting to play Power Golf 2 because of the cool realistic pictures! I was hoping for someone to say how this game was going to be better than the first. Is the music good at least?
IMG

TR0N

It's all about NeoTurf Master for the, NeoGeo it's one golf game i can get into.

Beside where else can you hear.

IT'S ON THE GWEEN!

Btw i've never tried the, HotShot Golf serise every time i want too a new one comes out  ](*,)
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

runinruder

Power Golf is horrible.  It might seem okay if you've never played another golf game or if you compare to other atrocities like Jack Nicklaus, but relative to legitimately good old-school titles (like PGA Tour for the PC), it's completely unacceptable.

As for the black sheep, games like Deep Blue, China Warrior and Night Creatures are certainly distinct.  There's no reason for a golf game that's so utterly generic to ever gain a cult following. 
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

VestCunt

Topic Adjourned.

nat

Quote from: runinruder on 06/06/2007, 10:27 PMAs for the black sheep, games like Deep Blue, China Warrior and Night Creatures are certainly distinct.  There's no reason for a golf game that's so utterly generic to ever gain a cult following. 
"Good call" of the day goes to...... runinruder!

offsidewing

Quote from: Keranu on 06/06/2007, 10:21 PM
Quote from: offsidewing on 06/06/2007, 07:27 PMPower Golf 2 is the worst piece of shit ever.  Power Golf ROCKS!
I've been wanting to play Power Golf 2 because of the cool realistic pictures! I was hoping for someone to say how this game was going to be better than the first. Is the music good at least?
I can't describe which of my nuts I put in Power Golf 2's mouth first.  The ONLY cool thing is the background noises.  The passing prop plane.  The occasional cow mooing.  Other than that, the game is UBER-Lame.  The screen advances with the travel of the ball every 65 yds or so.  The system has to load each screen every 75 yards.  Putting is easy.  The realistic photos of each hole before you play it is annoying after

Now, I don't speak Japanese, so I cant' comment on the "Career Mode" but the game is lame.  I recently paid $1.99 for it and I have buyers remorse.

I did pay $75 bucks in 1993 to get this, and tolerated it then.

I wonder if GO! GO! Expensive as hell CHANCE is any better.

POW-WER GOLF!  POW-WER GOLF!

Keranu

I'll buy it from you for $2.50 :) .
IMG

Joe Redifer

Quote from: TronON THE GWEEN!
I love that as well as when you get a par, the scorecard comes up and she says "Player 1 had a baaaaaad day!".  I just got par, bitch!  That's pretty good, especially with these insanely designed devil courses!  It's probably my most played game on my Neo Geo.  I also have Top Players Golf, but the control isn't tremendously good in that one.  And when he says "PUT FOR PAR" the P's pop.  Bad recordings.  It also has insanely designed devil courses.

Keranu

Actually I think Top Players Golf has really good controls, it just takes adjusting like any golf game does. My favorite is chipping out of sand bunks to roll onto the green, just an awesome, awesome feeling. I also love the caddy chicks that give you advice befor each course.
IMG

Joe Redifer

Only because of the fancy-schmancy scaling effects (which are a bit weird in that game, as if one half of the screen is scaling at a different rate than the other half).  The caddy chick Engrish is pretty good as well.

MrFulci

VestCunt is driving for real.
"Damnit, Beavis, put that away. You're not supposed to have your _____ out when you're cooking".

2X4

Perfect implementation by Mr. Fulci.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

Joe Redifer

Not quite perfect, as I have no clue what he is talking about.