10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Which Jap Hucards are different than US Hucards

Started by retrodelee, 08/04/2007, 09:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

retrodelee

Aside from the label artwork... which Hu Cards on the PC Engine side of the house are different than the US versions?  Different gameplay/scenes/etc?

I'm just wondering if I should aquire the Jp versions even though I already have the US version.  I think I will eventually for the artwork alone, but just curious if certain HU Cards were 'edited' for release in the US. 

:)

Thanks. 

Now I'm going to go load a few games on my Flash card to try out.   I'm going to try an assortmant of shooters/rpg/platform and hell... I may even throw a couple of 'adult' oriented games.  Actually the only one I know of on the HU card side is Strip Fighter.  Are there others?

Ninja Spirit

Magical Chase definitely falls in that bracket.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

retrodelee

I just read that Splatterhouse is one as well.  The Jp game is the full game... and the US game is censored.  Damn them US censoring people.

_Paul

Chan & Chan vs JJ & Jeff is a good example.

cho_aniki

A few games come to mind:

- Splatterhouse ( the flying cross was removed in the US release, and the mask is red, other than that I didn't notice any differences)

- the Bonk/ PC Genjin games ( Bonk's transformation is different to PC Genjin's when he eats meat....not sure if this was changed in all three games)

- Cratermaze ( the characters are from Booby Kids, and completely different to those in the PC Engine Doraemon game)

- JJ& Jeff (the characters have been changed from Kato& Ken, and some aspects were changed: farting/ spray can etc...)

- Magical Chase seems to have different backgrounds ( probably nicer) in the US version, although I haven't been able to track down a copy.

- Psychosis, the levels are in a different order to those in Paranoia, the alien no longer tells you to fuck off.

- R-Type was made into one game for the US, rather than part 1 and 2.

- Sinistron, again some of the levels were switched around, slightly different to Violent soldier.

That's all I can think of as far as very noticeable differences are concerned, but I am sure some changes were probably made to other games as well.

CrackTiger

Bloody Wolf: The PCE version of version has a SFIITrubo SNES style intro leading up to the title screen.

Legendary Axe II: The PCE version has boobs.

Dragon's Curse/Adventure Island: The PCE version has a bright and cute scrolling title screen with a cute logo and music. The Turbo version has a dark scary setting with evil dragons and eery music.

R-Type: The Turbo version contains the complete game as it appeared in the arcade. The PCE version(s) is split into two games.

Bravoman: The Turbo version has many voices rerecorded in english.

JJ & Jeff/Kato Chan & Ken Chan: The Turbo version ha new art for the main character's faces, they spray brown clouds of paint forward with spray cans, streams of urine have been removed. In the PCE version, the characters shoot farts backward.

Splatterhouse: Some of the psuedo-religious and more graphics content was removed or altered in the Turbo version. The main character's mask was changed from white to red to try to minimize the chances of getting sued.

Paranoia/Psychosis: The two versions have the stages in different order.

Magical Chase: The first stage bg is totally different. The main character, shop and at least one enemy sprite have been redrawn. The PCE's sound test trick does not work on the Turbo version.

Air Zonk/PC Denjin: In the PCE version the main character drops a giant purple coiled poo on enemies. In the Turbo version its a missile.

Andre Panza Kick Boxing/The Kick Boxing: The Turbo version uses the Andre Panza license.

Bonk/PC Genjin games: In the PCE version, the main characters turns 'queerer' eating the first meat. In the Turbo version, he gets meaner/burnt.

Cadash: The PCE version has an engrish intro. The Turbo version uses english.

Chase HQ: The somewhat long voice clip during the intro is in english in the Turbo version.

Cratermaze/Doraemon: The PCE version is Doraemon themed. The Turbo version is arcade faithful(Booby Boys(?) is one of the alternate names).

Devil's Crush/Crash: The PCE version has a pentagram that was changed into something generics in the Turbo version.

Dungeon Explorer: The final boss is named Natas in the Turbo version. I don't know if it was Satan in the original, but it this game will be easier to handle in english.

Galaga '90/'88: The Turbo version is the same game from two years in the future.

Keith Courage/Wataru: The game is based on an anime and the PCE version has a different title screen with character art. The debug mode is japanese either way I believe.

Neutopia I & II: Again, assuming you don't read japanese, you're better off getting the english versions.

Sinistron: There are gameplay differences between the two versions.

World Court Tennis: I believe that the last boss is supposed to be Satan. I don't know if the U.S. version was censored.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

It should also be mentioned that there was a slightly different resolution between the Japanese PCE R-Type(s) and the American TG16 R-Type. I believe the American version had a slightly shorter resolution in width.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 08/04/2007, 11:19 AM[Air Zonk/PC Denjin: In the PCE version the main character drops a giant purple coiled poo on enemies. In the Turbo version its a missile.
how about the cow "big boobies" udders?
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Odonadon

Somer Assault/Mesopotamia - basically the religious aspects were wiped from the American release.

OD

ParanoiaDragon

I forgot about the cow's boobie utters, those were changed in Air Zonk.
IMG

NecroPhile

Level names were lost when Bonk traveled to the US, but it doesn't matter (unless you can read the Japanese names).
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

retrodelee

World Court Tennis:  The last boss is Satan?  That's rather funny.  A friggin' Tennis game that has Satan in it.  That is like something out of South Park. 

Seems like a lot of religious things were taken out of the US version.   :roll: 

And what is wrong with a little bit of pissing and farting????  I'll have to try the PCE version of that

CrackTiger

Quote from: retrodelee on 08/06/2007, 10:16 AMWorld Court Tennis:  The last boss is Satan?  That's rather funny.  A friggin' Tennis game that has Satan in it.  That is like something out of South Park. 

Seems like a lot of religious things were taken out of the US version.   :roll: 

And what is wrong with a little bit of pissing and farting????  I'll have to try the PCE version of that
Whats funnier, is that its the last boss of a Tennis RPG. :wink:
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

retrodelee

So it is an RPG of sorts?   LOL  I'll have to give it a go when I get my PCE Dou-R soon!

esteban

Quote from: retrodelee on 08/06/2007, 01:03 PMSo it is an RPG of sorts?   LOL  I'll have to give it a go when I get my PCE Dou-R soon! 
Final Lap Twin and World Court Tennis both have "Quest Modes" that make RPG fans smile :). Final Lap Twin is the superior experience, IMO.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldTurboBastard

Quote from: guest on 08/04/2007, 11:19 AMDevil's Crush/Crash: The PCE version has a pentagram that was changed into something generics in the Turbo version.
I thought that was just on the Virtual Console. I remember pentagrams on the turbo, might just be wishful thinking though.
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

CrackTiger

Quote from: OldTurboBastard on 02/21/2008, 03:39 PM
Quote from: CrackTiger on 08/04/2007, 11:19 AMDevil's Crush/Crash: The PCE version has a pentagram that was changed into something generics in the Turbo version.
I thought that was just on the Virtual Console. I remember pentagrams on the turbo, might just be wishful thinking though.
The big pentagram got changed for the Turbo version and the 'star of Davids' got changed into triangles for the VC version.

IMG

OldTurboBastard

Quote from: guest on 02/21/2008, 07:09 PMThe big pentagram got changed for the Turbo version and the 'star of Davids' got changed into triangles for the VC version.
Got it - thanks for the pics.
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

neokellyzero

In Cadash the mermaid you rescue is topless in the water-

CrackTiger

Legendary Axe II has a censored topless woman.

quoth09

Fantasy Zone - US version gives you 4 lives at start, JP one only gives you 2.