10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

"Splatterhouse" High Scores

Started by Keranu, 09/29/2007, 03:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

atr3yu

Both ROMS play the same in my DUO. Only difference is the color of his mask if you ask me. Now I think the Marty version is harder!!!

COUNT SMRIFNACK

The US and Jap. versions are the same in difficulty and have the same enemy placement.  I just played the US version cause I was planning on playing over several days and didn't want to leave my Duo R or region modded TG on for a really long time like that. 

I personally hate the purple mask.  The other differences are the level four boss is different, the alter at the end of level four is gone, and the cross marking the final boss on the ground is instead a tombstone.

If you set the difficulty of the Marty version to easy, it is comparable in difficulty/lives to the TG/PC Engine.  The enemy placement is a little different, but not much.  Zombie vomit is much more tricky to jump on the Marty, they added two flying birds on level three, and that is all I can think of right now.

atr3yu

Yea the Marty is insane, I heard it plays almost 100% like the arcade version but I have never played nor seen one :(

COUNT SMRIFNACK

O.k. I was wrong, they added 4 birds on the Marty.  Or took away 4 birds, depending on how you look at it.

I played both versions sober (slightly abnormal :dance:) and the Marty is harder by far, in some aspects.  You can barely avoid getting hit by the leeches at the end of stage one,  the flying picture at the end of stage 2 is harder to avoid, fuckin aliens in stage 5 will stick your ass quick, and the boss's 3rd and last attempt to kill you is harder to avoid damage.  The hatching things on stage 6 hatch fucking fast, fast.  But the boss is easier to kill.  And the last stage is pretty much the same, the falling dirt seems just slightly harder to avoid.

I didn't mean to turn this into a TG 16-to-Marty comparison, it just happened that way.  And it was all for the good of a game that deserves as much attention as we can give it.  Soon, very soon I will have the arcade pcb in my possesion.  I have a guy who owns a arcade/pinball shop (a very big one) that is going to let me hook my pcb up to his test rig (I don't have a cab. to put it in just yet ](*,)) and test/play it next weekend probably.  I hope he doesn't expect me to turn it on and just make sure it works and that's it.  Cause once I get started I can't stop until I've beat it. I can then die a happy man O:)

COUNT SMRIFNACK

Quote from: atr3yu on 07/14/2008, 02:11 PMYea the Marty is insane, I heard it plays almost 100% like the arcade version but I have never played nor seen one :(
Come on down to Texas and have a go at it man :mrgreen:

COUNT SMRIFNACK

My 1,042,200 point score is the longest I have gotten in one setting, without pausing.  Cause Mike demanded I set the record straight.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: COUNT SMRIFNACK on 07/20/2008, 11:26 PMMy 1,042,200 point score is the longest I have gotten in one setting, without pausing.  Cause Mike demanded I set the record straight.
I never once did the such drama queen. You had already admitted in a prior post above you had to cheat to get the 5 mil score. All I did was pin you down in shout box to the fact it was pointless to do scores that you cant earn fairly in one setting.

COUNT SMRIFNACK

Also, no high score over 230k or so should be accepted as a no pause run since it requires stalling.  Though according to Mike, this isn't cheating, as long as no pauses are taken, but that would take video to verify.

COUNT SMRIFNACK

No Mike, not you, a drama queen.  You just happend to be the only person to throw a bitch fest in the shoutbox cause I said I did my 5mil. score over 2 sesions.

nectarsis

Stalling in and area is still playing the game in one sitting vs. playing a game for awhile, pausing, leaving for an amount of time longer than a few minutes.  Pausing, and restarting latter in the day, over the span of days shouldn't count.
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

COUNT SMRIFNACK

then don't count my 5+ mil. score.  Who give a fuck?  It is all for fun, we ain't playing in the Wizard movie 8-[

COUNT SMRIFNACK

You don't get it do you #-o  Cheating would be giving a score while I was lieing about how I got them. I told everyone I played my 5 mil. score over a period of 2 days

COUNT SMRIFNACK

don't edit your posts after I post, just post new ones 8)

i'm not dragging anyone down, just stating how the scoring goes.  You are the one who started up chatting about MY high score in the chatbox after someone told me "nice score on Splatterhouse".

COUNT SMRIFNACK

O.k. remove your edited post, Mike :D

PCEngineHell

I never demanded you do a thing Count. You just flat out lied and over dramatized the situation from shout. I only replied to your statements that you planned to cheat further via emulation to get higher scores. When me and Ceti pointed out what you were doing to get the scores was infact cheating and that it made getting said scores pointless,you got all defensive and tried to justify it all.

And any prior score is obtainable in one sitting pretty much. Just because you cheat doesn't mean others do. I can easily sit in the church hall for a 2-3 hours if I need to to get a score,and stalling in spots isn't cheating as you are still actively playing and killing attacking enemies. Taking long breaks from the game when others are not is cheating.

Trying to drag others down and rank them along with you just because you yourself had to cheat is stupid,and causing a huge scene whining and lying about me  demanding things from you makes you look worse.

How you cheated against the active competition on the thread? You played the game over  a period of days taking long breaks leaving the game on pause so you could rest up. Really you didn't even fully admit it at first. Trying to spin this any other way is not going to work. The only positive thing I can say is that you admitted you were doing so. As for my edit and reply,PCEFX just screwed up while I was posting,so I removed this post and re-posted it so I wouldn't double post 4 times like you just did in your mad fury to try to make  a comeback.

PCEngineHell

You do realize you are purposefully derailing this thread over a conversation we had in shout and you are now becoming the master of the quad post? There is nothing wrong with editing your post to begin with,and for that matter it would prevent you from appearing to be a double,triple,and quad posting dumb ass. For that matter,I posted again exactly what I said to begin with,and added to it,while doing so the site forum messed up on me,I had to restore firefox due to the issue. During this time you managed to look even more of the angry clown.

Quote from: COUNT SMRIFNACK on 07/21/2008, 12:00 AMO.k. remove your edited post, Mike :D
Quote from: COUNT SMRIFNACK on 07/20/2008, 11:53 PMdon't edit your posts after I post, just post new ones 8)

i'm not dragging anyone down, just stating how the scoring goes.  You are the one who started up chatting about MY high score in the chatbox after someone told me "nice score on Splatterhouse". 
Quote from: COUNT SMRIFNACK on 07/20/2008, 11:46 PMYou don't get it do you #-o  Cheating would be giving a score while I was lieing about how I got them. I told everyone I played my 5 mil. score over a period of 2 days
Quote from: COUNT SMRIFNACK on 07/20/2008, 11:43 PMthen don't count my 5+ mil. score.  Who give a fuck?  It is all for fun, we ain't playing in the Wizard movie 8-[

COUNT SMRIFNACK

Mad fury :roll:

Me saying you "demanded" it was in responce to you getting all out of shape in the shoubox about my score and my taking 2 days to do my score.  Don't go trying to get all literal on me now.

Nothing here makes me look "worse" mike.  I posted my high scores here for fun, and told everyone how I got my 5 mil run.

You told Nat that to prove a "hard" mode score, a vid must be taken of the game.  Well, in your words, pausing is cheating, and the only way to prove that pauses weren't take would be by video.  I actually don't care myself.

COUNT SMRIFNACK

Like I said mike, it doesn't matter to me.  It's just you edited your post to make you look better about what I had posted after your post.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: COUNT SMRIFNACK on 07/21/2008, 12:12 AMMad fury :roll:

Me saying you "demanded" it was in responce to you getting all out of shape in the shoubox about my score and my taking 2 days to do my score.  Don't go trying to get all literal on me now.

Nothing here makes me look "worse" mike.  I posted my high scores here for fun, and told everyone how I got my 5 mil run.

You told Nat that to prove a "hard" mode score, a vid must be taken of the game.  Well, in your words, pausing is cheating, and the only way to prove that pauses weren't take would be by video.  I actually don't care myself.
The only actual way to prove you'd be playing in hard mode would be to video tape it,indeed. And again,you're just trying to lump others in with you. As I said,just because you cheat doesn't mean others do. I never got bent out of shape,I never went off on you,called you names,demanded you remove your score,ect...nuthin at all. Also I was not,am not the only person telling you this. Ceti and Nectarsis did also. So are they getting bent out of shape too?

You came back on this thread after shout and begin your derailing and making the false statement about me. All of this conversation could have continued in shout,but you stated you had to go, which you obviously did not since your still here derailing threads. The only reason your trowing such a hissy fit is because I exposed you back when you lied to everyone about the Samurai Ghost deal and tried to run your scam. Your making this personal ignoring the facts at hand, the simple point that its meaningless/pointless to post scores in a high score competition thread when you have to use the cheat tactics you did to obtain them.

Quote from: COUNT SMRIFNACK on 07/21/2008, 12:14 AMLike I said mike, it doesn't matter to me.  It's just you edited your post to make you look better about what I had posted after your post.
I didn't edit anything content wise I posted prior,I added onto the statement,and I was doing so before you made you quad hissy fit post to begin with.
If it doesn't matter to you then you wouldn't have ran off of shout lying about having to leave,and come on this thread lying and derailing it with the lame quad post. If it doesn't matter to you,you'd simply shut the hell up in other words, instead of starting a scene.

COUNT SMRIFNACK

Oh fuck here comes the SG shit again :roll: 

No, the only way to prove you didn't pause a game and therefore "cheat" would be to take a vid of it, just like proving hard mode was played through a whole game.

It was only you who called me a cheater in the shoutbox and claimed I used an emulator to get my scores.... after  stated that I would want to use an emulator to try and get the score to 10 million, to see if the score counter would go that far.

PCEngineHell

Quote from: COUNT SMRIFNACK on 07/21/2008, 12:28 AMOh fuck here comes the SG shit again :roll: 

No, the only way to prove you didn't pause a game and therefore "cheat" would be to take a vid of it, just like proving hard mode was played through a whole game.

It was only you who called me a cheater in the shoutbox and claimed I used an emulator to get my scores.... after  stated that I would want to use an emulator to try and get the score to 10 million, to see if the score counter would go that far.
You stated you planned to use a emu prior to me actually even coming on shout Count. I was simply replying back to those statements and told you I figured you used a emu to begin with and gave you proof as to why. Again your trying to spin this differently then it actually happened. I didn't just spit the conversation out there out of nowhere. Get your facts straight. Go back and check the shout archive if you need proof. And again,its pointless of trying to lump everyone in the same boat as you just because you use cheating tactics.

COUNT SMRIFNACK

Again, you are missing the simple fact that no eumlator was used for my high scores.  I had no reason to use one, I own both copies of the game, and clearly stated why I used the US version.

PCEngineHell

Yes,and in shout I made it clear that it didn't matter if you did or not because you still used other cheat tactics to obtain your last score,correct? Are you forgetting the entire shout conversation on purpose? Seriously,you can PM me with this nonsense or hit shout again if you feel it must continue.

Arkhan Asylum

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

PCEngineHell

This post has a double purpose. One, this thread needed some new action, and nothings like a hard mode score being posted to get things moving. Two, I posted a lazy normal run I capped on youtube the other day. I had not played this in months, I stated so, and that I was being lazy, easily not my best run by far. You guys have seen my prior scores, so you would know this. Nintega thought otherwise, and posted a Hard mode run, tossing in meager insults, as he tried to steal mine and others strategies posted prior. Strategies that he kept fucking up on. He made the run, sure, but he simply sucked at it. He got hit at way too many of the easiest spots, and he totally failed at the last stage in the worst way.  Normally I don't even plan to post complete runs, I think Splatterhouse will be it for me for my channel, but I knew I shoulda did a better run, and here it is. Plus Splatterhouse deserves it. You guys can watch, learn, and enjoy! :)

HARD MODE HIGH SCORE:   382,400 and 4 lives in stock.
EDIT:Guess Ninny removed his gutless remarks about me from his run vids. No back bone at all, seriously sad.  :lol:

pixeljunkie

Super necro-bump [kind of fitting, given the game]

I don't have a great score to post.

https://ibb.co/kEMbNJ
https://i.ibb.co/WGxfxhF/IMG-20180616-183347.jpg
IMG

Just normal mode - 291,600

The main reason I bumped it was because I never really played this game for score. But after seeing some people milk the embryos for score it got me interested. I also once accidentally died after beating the final boss due to a falling stone - doubling the score for beating him. It seemed there were tons of fun ways to exploit the score of this game I never considered.

Emerald Rocker

That trick about doubling your score for beating the final boss is pretty awesome.  Thanks for sharing.
Official member of the PCEFX 4K Post Club