@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Polls (not really) from hell - Worst Backgrounds

Started by spenoza, 10/17/2007, 12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spenoza

OK peeps. What are the games with the WORST backgrounds? I'm not talking about solid black (lazy, but not bad). I'm talking about downright ugly. Bad colors, horrible art, what are the worst ever on the TG/PCE?

nat

Quote from: guest on 10/17/2007, 12:14 PMOK peeps. What are the games with the WORST backgrounds? I'm not talking about solid black (lazy, but not bad). I'm talking about downright ugly. Bad colors, horrible art, what are the worst ever on the TG/PCE?
GENPEI TOURMADEN

WORST. GAME. EVER.

_Paul

Any cute RPG with really basic, simple overhead graphics.

Turbo D

I think I'm going to have to agree with nat, thats the only one I can think of right now.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

CrackTiger

Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

spenoza

See, Gunpei Toumaden does have some cool backgrounds and nice graphics once you get to the side-scrolling levels that go like the sequel's levels do. But yes, it has some crap, also.

Turbo D

Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

awack

I haven't actually played this game but from the screenshots i have seen of Baby jo, it looks like crap.

nat

Quote from: guest on 10/17/2007, 07:26 PMSee, Gunpei Toumaden does have some cool backgrounds and nice graphics once you get to the side-scrolling levels that go like the sequel's levels do. But yes, it has some crap, also.
It's mostly crap. The "large sprite" areas are the only halfway decent-looking parts. But the bad in that game is surely worse than any other Turbo game ever made.

CrackTiger

Quote from: nat on 10/17/2007, 08:37 PM
Quote from: guest on 10/17/2007, 07:26 PMSee, Gunpei Toumaden does have some cool backgrounds and nice graphics once you get to the side-scrolling levels that go like the sequel's levels do. But yes, it has some crap, also.
It's mostly crap. The "large sprite" areas are the only halfway decent-looking parts. But the bad in that game is surely worse than any other Turbo game ever made.
Have you tried either of the Jack Nicklaus games?

I still haven't thought through which Turbo/PCE bgs I dislike or feel are "bad", but one off the top of my head is Loom. Its the bizzaro world equivalent of Beyond Shadowgate which was mentioned in the best bg thread. :P
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

JoshTurboTrollX

Jossshhhhh...Legendary TurboTrollX-16: He revenge-bans PCE Developers/Ys IV Localizers from PCE Facebook groups and destroyed 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Josh and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner (extortion!), never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

OldTurboBastard

Quote from: guest on 10/17/2007, 08:44 PMHave you tried either of the Jack Nicklaus games?
I actually enjoyed Jack Nicklaus Golf but the backgrounds (if you can call the "3D" view a background) were plain ugly, and they took ages to render just to really piss you off it seemed. Some ugly shades of green, maroon, and grey. Despite all that the game could be fun with a few friends
"I saw this wino, he was eating grapes. I was like, "Dude, you have to wait." - hedberg

nat

It wouldn't be a golf game without lengthy rendering sessions!

Keranu

Haha, I think I agree with nat about Genpei having the worst backgrounds. Jack Nicklaus also popped straight into my head as soon as I read this thread as well. I at least appreciate the fact that Jack Nicklaus was trying to look 3D or something, even if it does look just plain ugly, but man Genpei is just pathetic laziness!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Kitsunexus

Quote from: nat on 10/17/2007, 11:45 PMIt wouldn't be a golf game without lengthy rendering sessions!
Wicked 13: Devil's Course for the SNES. Represent, yo.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

runinruder

They probably don't belong on a "worst" list, but Super Air Zonk's backgrounds were among the most disappointing I've experienced.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Tatsujin

<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

runinruder

Air Zonk had impressive backgrounds.  By contrast, Super's came off as flat and not very colorful.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Tatsujin

oh sorry..i thought you talking about air zonk since the beginning, since i wasn't enough aware of the US pendant names.

so what you're saying is, that PC Denjin (air zonk) had impressive BGs, while its sequel CD Denjin (Super Air zonk) disappointed you in that matter. now i can agree with you :D

although CD Denjin has also its very nice and colorful BGs here and there (e.g. beach level).

NecroPhile

Super Air Zonk's biggest disappointment - dearth of parallax, yet it had been done so well on the HuCard.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

_Paul

Quote from: NecroPhile on 11/02/2007, 10:28 AMSuper Air Zonk's biggest disappointment - dearth of parallax, yet it had been done so well on the HuCard.
Yes I agree. I was expecting graphical whizziness of the like found in Gate and Winds but I was saddened when it was not so.

klausien

First post!  :)

Kaizou Ningen Shubibinman has the worst backgrounds of any PCE game I've ever played. Worse than the NES on a bad day, bad.

Tatsujin

if you don't like the shubibinman BGs, so then try energy once :P

TurboXray

I don't think there's anything worse than Pac Land. Not even Energy #-o

nat

Quote from: TurboXray on 11/04/2007, 10:56 PMI don't think there's anything worse than Pac Land. Not even Energy #-o
I used to agree 100%.

While Pac-Land has super-simple and plain backgrounds, they are perfect emulations of the arcade game. I realized with time that it was a stylistic choice. They could've done much better, even back then, but they went that cartoony route because that's the feel they wanted for the game.

Keranu

I actually really like the simple MS-Paint, "3D" if you will, backgrounds of Pac-Land.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Tatsujin

Quote from: nat on 11/05/2007, 12:29 AM
Quote from: TurboXray on 11/04/2007, 10:56 PMI don't think there's anything worse than Pac Land. Not even Energy #-o
I used to agree 100%.

While Pac-Land has super-simple and plain backgrounds, they are perfect emulations of the arcade game. I realized with time that it was a stylistic choice. They could've done much better, even back then, but they went that cartoony route because that's the feel they wanted for the game.
right there! why they should take the charme of the arcade original by improving the grafx? the only thing i missed was the parallax.

nat

Quote from: Tatsujin on 11/05/2007, 06:30 AM
Quote from: nat on 11/05/2007, 12:29 AM
I used to agree 100%.

right there! why they should take the charme of the arcade original by improving the grafx? the only thing i missed was the parallax.
There was some parallax on the starry night time levels.

ccovell

Everyone's entitled to an opinion, so I'll totally disagree with the Camp California comment.

I've made a page with lots of screenshots from the game, and a commentary that speaks for itself:

https://www.chrismcovell.com/campcalifornia/index.html

NecroPhile

Quote from: ccovell on 11/19/2007, 01:57 AMEveryone's entitled to an opinion, so I'll totally disagree with the Camp California comment.
Word.  The only thing that sucks about Camp California is not being able to save a game.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!