This is my Hello thread

Started by MissaFX, 10/31/2007, 02:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MissaFX

Hello everyone,
After many, many years of yearning for a NEC console I have finally done it and purchased a PC-FX.  In short the PC-FX (other than a lack of shootergasm games) seems to have exactly the kind of games I like.  It also features a lot of 90's anime, and the anime from the 90's has always been my favorite.  I started a PC-FX blog on livejournal a little while ago, which is linked in my profile.  In short though I am now the proud owner of the following:

PC-FX
2 Controllers
Team Innocent
Anime Freak Vol. 5
Welcome to Pia Carrot
Galaxy Fraulein Yuna FX
Power Dolls FX

Oh yeah and here is a link to my blog:
http://pc-fx-pixie.livejournal.com/

I've noticed the board has seemed dead for a few months, but hopefully we can get some new discussions going :D
Nice to meet you all and take care,
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

NecroPhile

Welcome aboard!  That's a interesting blog that you have going, but sorry to read about your Opa - my condolences.  Unfortunately, there just isn't that much interest in the ol' PC-FX, so it's kinda quiet around here.  More so than the other sections anyway, but maybe you'll liven the place up a bit. 

What the chuck's a 'shootergasm' game?  It sounds like Pia Carrot would fall into that category.  :)
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nat

I love the PC-FX. It's great you're just getting into it-- you've only scratched the surface of what the system has to offer.

Let me know if you have further troubles with Yuna. It's a whole lot of fun. Just wait until you get to the maze on the spaceship. The maze itself can get a little tedious, especially if you don't understand any Japanese, but some of the minigames there are fucking awesome. I also mapped out most of the maze levels at one time or another in case you can't figure out where to go.

Unlike you, however, I can only enjoy the games to their fullest potential on the real system. Emulation =  [-X
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

MissaFX

Quote from: nat on 10/31/2007, 03:34 PMI love the PC-FX. It's great you're just getting into it-- you've only scratched the surface of what the system has to offer.

Let me know if you have further troubles with Yuna. It's a whole lot of fun. Just wait until you get to the maze on the spaceship. The maze itself can get a little tedious, especially if you don't understand any Japanese, but some of the minigames there are fucking awesome. I also mapped out most of the maze levels at one time or another in case you can't figure out where to go.

Unlike you, however, I can only enjoy the games to their fullest potential on the real system. Emulation =  [-X
I own the games, so I don't consider emulation a bad thing when it comes to these doki doki slots.  *shiver*  Do you know what outfit to put on Yuri in the 2nd set???  Skill slots are my  [-X  I hate them soooo much ](*,) .  Without using save/load on the slots I would have honestly quit the game by now, not forever, but for a few days.  I just find them frustrating beyond words, when I don't have a credit limit.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer

nat

Quote from: Missa on 10/31/2007, 03:58 PM
Quote from: nat on 10/31/2007, 03:34 PMI love the PC-FX. It's great you're just getting into it-- you've only scratched the surface of what the system has to offer.

I own the games, so I don't consider emulation a bad thing when it comes to these doki doki slots.  *shiver*  Do you know what outfit to put on Yuri in the 2nd set???  Skill slots are my  [-X  I hate them soooo much ](*,) .  Without using save/load on the slots I would have honestly quit the game by now, not forever, but for a few days.  I just find them frustrating beyond words, when I don't have a credit limit.
It's been a while, but try the same as Yuna but with a blue handbag instead of a watch.

The clothing itself is the same for Yuri and Yuna but the accessory is different IIRC.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

MissaFX

Quote from: natIt's been a while, but try the same as Yuna but with a blue handbag instead of a watch.

The clothing itself is the same for Yuri and Yuna but the accessory is different IIRC.
There are no handbags.  There is a necklace, a watch and sunglasses.  None of them work with Yuna's outfit on Yuri.

SuperDeadite

Welcome, I'm proud of my FX as well.
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

nat

Quote from: Missa on 10/31/2007, 06:01 PMThere are no handbags.  There is a necklace, a watch and sunglasses.  None of them work with Yuna's outfit on Yuri.
OK, leave the watch alone.

Try the same outfit (including watch) but different footwear. Boots, maybe?

MissaFX

Quote from: nat on 10/31/2007, 11:56 PM
Quote from: Missa on 10/31/2007, 06:01 PMThere are no handbags.  There is a necklace, a watch and sunglasses.  None of them work with Yuna's outfit on Yuri.
OK, leave the watch alone.

Try the same outfit (including watch) but different footwear. Boots, maybe?
I've tried that and it is a no go.

MissaFX

Quote from: SuperDeadite on 10/31/2007, 11:52 PMWelcome, I'm proud of my FX as well.
The only thing I don't like about it, is I cannot seem to find a controller extender for it. :(

Keranu

Hey is that you Katie from #utopiasoft? Regardless, welcome aboard!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

MissaFX

Quote from: Keranu on 11/01/2007, 01:19 AMHey is that you Katie from #utopiasoft? Regardless, welcome aboard!
No, that's not me.  Ty for the hello though.

Turbo D

Welcome aboard Missa. Its nice to have a girl visit the forums  :)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

MissaFX

Quote from: guest on 10/31/2007, 02:38 PMWhat the chuck's a 'shootergasm' game?  It sounds like Pia Carrot would fall into that category.  :)
Games like Ikaruga, Radiant Silvergun, 19XX (on hard).  Any 2-d twitch shooter which can contain massive numbers of enemy shots you must dodge, while providing massive numbers of enemies for you to kill.  I would like to include games like Einhander or Mars Matrix in this, but they simply don't have enough going on, on screen to justify calling them a shootergasm.

NecroPhile

In other words, bullet hell (kinda what I figured).  Have you tried out Super God Trooper Zeroigar yet?  It's not that type of shooter, but beggars can't be choosers when it comes to the FX.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Ceti Alpha

IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

MissaFX

Quote from: turbo D on 11/01/2007, 02:16 AMWelcome aboard Missa. Its nice to have a girl visit the forums  :)
Ty, just don't confuse me with those sims playing, neo pet collecting, my husband bought me a game system and I don't know what to do with it kind of women.

My father purchased a NES in 1986 for my sister and I ever since then, I have really enjoyed videogames.  I've since carried on in his ways and when my oldest cousin (I'm the first of my generation) turned 12 I got her a dreamcast with Crazy Taxi and Rez.  (This was a good number of years ago though so the dreamcast was still in stores then.  I'm not cheap or nothin' :roll: )

My favorite genres of games are: 2-D shooters, RPGs, Japanese Music games (like Parappa and Vib Ribbon, but also the Bust a Move series), then probably simulation games or real time stratigy games, but I usually play RTS on the PC.  I also like japanese book novel games like the Yarudora series of games, but I am probably 8 years out of practice at least with my Japanese.  I love that the PC-FX games talk a lot because I wouldn't stand a chance of understanding anything if I tried to read it.  Within a year of playing the FX I hope to get some of my Japanese back ^_^
The other game I feel I should note that I love is Every Extend Extra.  Playing a mine has never been so much fun.

MissaFX

Quote from: guest on 11/01/2007, 03:08 PMIn other words, bullet hell (kinda what I figured).  Have you tried out Super God Trooper Zeroigar yet?  It's not that type of shooter, but beggars can't be choosers when it comes to the FX.
No, I cannot afford it.  I've been thinking of begging my friend in New Zealand's Brother's Wife to bother someone to try to find me a cheap used copy in Tokyo but for the moment I have given up on getting a copy.  I am just happy that my PC-FX has hardly any discoloration and most of it is on the back side :dance:

MissaFX

The PC-FX can tempo control audio CDs!!!
I just had to say that.
OMG this system is so cool.

Ceti Alpha

QuoteThe PC-FX can tempo control audio CDs!!!
WHAT?!!!

...uhm let me repeat that....WHAT>?!  :o

That would come in handy in so many ways, but especially in trying to figure out how to play songs. How does it work?
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

MissaFX

Quote from: ceti alpha on 11/01/2007, 08:14 PM
QuoteThe PC-FX can tempo control audio CDs!!!
WHAT?!!!

...uhm let me repeat that....WHAT>?!  :o

That would come in handy in so many ways, but especially in trying to figure out how to play songs. How does it work?
Near the bottom right, under the volume and balance controls is something with a note scale on it.  This increases/decreases the tempo and also slightly increases/decreases the pitch.  It works great though.

nat

Wow, I've never played a music CD in my FX. I'll have to try that.

Keranu

Quote from: nat on 11/01/2007, 08:48 PMWow, I've never played a music CD in my FX. I'll have to try that.
Pfft, I've played a frickin' CD+G on my FX!  :mrgreen:
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

Kitsunexus

Hey Missa, welcome to the forums! Nice avatar! ^_^
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Turbo D

Quote from: Missa on 11/01/2007, 06:27 PM
Quote from: turbo D on 11/01/2007, 02:16 AMWelcome aboard Missa. Its nice to have a girl visit the forums  :)
Ty, just don't confuse me with those sims playing, neo pet collecting, my husband bought me a game system and I don't know what to do with it kind of women.

My father purchased a NES in 1986 for my sister and I ever since then, I have really enjoyed videogames.  I've since carried on in his ways and when my oldest cousin (I'm the first of my generation) turned 12 I got her a dreamcast with Crazy Taxi and Rez.  (This was a good number of years ago though so the dreamcast was still in stores then.  I'm not cheap or nothin' :roll: )

My favorite genres of games are: 2-D shooters, RPGs, Japanese Music games (like Parappa and Vib Ribbon, but also the Bust a Move series), then probably simulation games or real time stratigy games, but I usually play RTS on the PC.  I also like japanese book novel games like the Yarudora series of games, but I am probably 8 years out of practice at least with my Japanese.  I love that the PC-FX games talk a lot because I wouldn't stand a chance of understanding anything if I tried to read it.  Within a year of playing the FX I hope to get some of my Japanese back ^_^
The other game I feel I should note that I love is Every Extend Extra.  Playing a mine has never been so much fun.
Thats awesome  :) I started my gaming craze on a nes in the late 80's too! You have great taste in gaming, I love 2-D shooters and rpgs. The great thing about pc engine is that it has lots of great ones  8)
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Keranu

Indeed, PCE is the platform for shooters and RPGs.
IMG

MissaFX

Quote from: Keranu on 11/02/2007, 03:32 AMIndeed, PCE is the platform for shooters and RPGs.
I would think it likely that after a year with the FX I might be interested in a DUO-R or DUO-RX.

Keranu

As nice as PC-FX's charm and uniqueness is, you definitely have to check out the PCE! It's legendary!
IMG

nat

Missa, nice blog, BTW. I like it.