RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Best Console?

Started by Tatsujin, 02/07/2008, 12:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ceti Alpha

QuoteI'm not a big fan of ranked lists
Agreed. My list would probably be different if I made it again now. Though the Turbo would probably still be on top, some of the other systems might not even be on the list. lol. It's still fun though for shits and giggles.
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

Tatsujin

ease..it's not each persons rank which counts, it's the final average. so, as more helping, as more accurate the result will be :)
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Ceti Alpha

Quoteease..it's not each persons rank which counts, it's the final average. so, as more helping, as more accurate the result will be Smile
8)
IMG

SuperDeadite

1.  PCE (fully equipped) - I haven't had this one for very long, but I already have more games for it then anything else.  I keep finding
more and more games I want.  Every day I seem to find something new, like I'm digging in Santa's magic sack.
2.  Saturn - I love this thing, so many good memories.  Still actively buy games, but I have a shopping list, and its all I want to buy.
3.  Genesis/CD/32X - The console I grew up with.  Many great games, but there's not much more for me to discover with it. 
I have what I want and thats it.
4.  NES - Great system.  Personally I find Nintendo has gotten weaker and weaker.  Only system of theirs I actually like.
5.  PS2 - PS2+PS1=many great games.

Honorable mentions belong to the NeoGeo AES (for its raw power), and PC-FX (for its sex appeal)
Stronger Than Your Average Deadite

Paisa49

1) SNES
2) Sega Saturn
3) PCE/TG-16
4) PS2
5) NES

turbokon

1) Turbo Duo - without a doubt (owned  aTG-16 as a kid, oh the memories).
2) SNES
3) Genesis
4) SONY PSP - nice will all the emulations
5) NeoGeo - although I never owned one
Turbo fan since 1991 after owning my first system.

Check out my website:)
www.tg16pcemods.com

Seldane

1. SNES
2. Mega Drive
3. PS2
4. Famicom (with disk system)
5. Game Gear
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG
Indeed, it's AV time. Check out: IMG! Sir, the door was open.

SNKNostalgia

1. NES - this is what I grew up with originally and it has some of the greatest games ever. Best video game music of all time.
2. Super NES - Great overall system for the 16-bit era. I spent more money renting different games for this than what I bought for the system. There was just so many good games to play on it, especially RPGs and action sidescrollers.
3. Neo Geo AES/CD - Ever since I saw games like Fatal Fury, KOM and BB Stars, I had to get one some day....and I did. The system is just sheer power and has the best 2D fighters
4. Playstation - So many great games were made for this system. This is what made CD-Rom take off, at least it did in the US. The Saturn of course also helped a lot.
5. Playstation 2 - The first 3D system to really impress me with its use of it. I also like the DC a lot but the PS2 just has a lot more games I like.

Next systems in order would have to be TG-16, Genesis, DC, and Saturn.

Joe Redifer

Actually I think both the TurboGrafx-CD and the Sega CD were responsible for "making CD take off".  When the 3DO, Playstation and the Saturn came around, CD was the new standard which Nintendo balked at.  CDs were not really used in any console after these three.  You can count the PC-FX in this group as well.

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/09/2008, 05:18 PMActually I think both the TurboGrafx-CD and the Sega CD were responsible for "making CD take off".  When the 3DO, Playstation and the Saturn came around, CD was the new standard which Nintendo balked at.  CDs were not really used in any console after these three.  You can count the PC-FX in this group as well.
Don't forget about the Atari Jaguar CD add-on and Philips CD-i, Joe Redifer.

You're quite right to say that the PlayStation had made the standard for using CDs for video games, Nintendo putting down the idea, and that the TurboGrafx-16 CD (as I refer it to) was the first initialize this for the US. However, it is quite debatable if the Sega Saturn, or any console prior to the original PlayStation, had much to contribute for this since they had all done poorly in the market.

I consider the TurboGrafx-16 CD as the best console to use CD-ROMs before the PlayStation, with the Sega CD in second.
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx .com

Seldane

What about CD-i? That was FAR more successful.
Quote from: Seldane on 04/21/2007, 07:28 PMDVDs are for suckers. Illegally pirated and stolen videos all the way. No menus. No "DO NOT PIRATE THIS!" screens. No fuss. Only perfection. I honestly only pirate movies because that "don't pirate this" screen annoys me. :wink:
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: Seldane on 02/09/2008, 07:56 PMWhat about CD-i? That was FAR more successful.
Only in our hearts :( .
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: Keranu on 02/09/2008, 08:03 PM
Quote from: Seldane on 02/09/2008, 07:56 PMWhat about CD-i? That was FAR more successful.
Oh, yes! I hadn't thought of the Philips CD-i! I'd figure that I was missing a CD-playing console or two (this was corrected in my previous post)!
"Here comes a new challenger! Four new contestants stepped into the Audio Deathmatch ring today. You be the judge as these juggernauts battle it out in a fight to the finish!" - A segment of the August 3, 2006 update of SuperPCEngineGrafx .com

Tatsujin

Quote from: Keranu on 02/09/2008, 08:03 PM
i think, most of the people just want forget about.
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/09/2008, 06:36 PMHowever, it is quite debatable if the Sega Saturn, or any console prior to the original PlayStation, had much to contribute for this since they had all done poorly in the market.
I have to disagree here, as the PC Engine CD was nowhere near a commercial failure.  It may have underperformed in the US market, but it's crazy to think that Sega and Sony based their media decisions on what was popular in the US rather than in Japan.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: guest on 02/10/2008, 01:52 AM
Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/09/2008, 06:36 PMHowever, it is quite debatable if the Sega Saturn, or any console prior to the original PlayStation, had much to contribute for this since they had all done poorly in the market.
I have to disagree here, as the PC Engine CD was nowhere near a commercial failure.  It may have underperformed in the US market, but it's crazy to think that Sega and Sony based their media decisions on what was popular in the US rather than in Japan.
I was only referring to the US market in this statement, however. Of course, in Japan, the PC Engine had truly started the usage of CD-ROM in video game, which eventually made it the standard for them there. The Sega Saturn had success in the Japanese market, also.

CrackTiger

Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/10/2008, 12:12 PMI was only referring to the US market in this statement, however. Of course, in Japan, the PC Engine had truly started the usage of CD-ROM in video game, which eventually made it the standard for them there. The Sega Saturn had success in the Japanese market, also.
The Saturn was Sega's most successful console in Japan. Which is sad. :|
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Seldane

IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: Seldane on 02/10/2008, 02:14 PMWhy?
since it wasn't THAT successful, which also means that all the other sega consoles ever made where even less successful.

Seldane

Why is that sad? Why care about a company that you don't own?
IMG

Joe Redifer

Actually the Saturn was beating the Playstation 1 for quite a while.  It was considered a successful console over there.  It is sad because some of Sega's other consoles should have been at least as successful, but they weren't.  If the Mega Drive were more successful as well as the SMS and Dreamcast, I could only dream about the great games we would have seen by third parties.  Imagine a library of GREAT Sega CD games.  Didn't really happen.  The SMS definitely needed more Japanese love as well.  Perhaps... just perhaps... we could have had more mahjong games.  :)

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Seldane on 02/10/2008, 02:47 PMWhy is that sad? Why care about a company that you don't own?
Well if it was Microsoft or Toyota or Hasbro or something I'd be with you there, but Sega is something special. I want them to succeed because I love them. There is so much cool about Sega that goes way beyond the games or the hardware or anything. Shenmue 2, Segata Sanshiro, Yukawa Hidekazu, Isao Okawa, Blue Skies, Segagaga...not even Nintendo has a corporate identity with such heart.
IMG

SignOfZeta

Well the PS1 was the most popular CD thing for its time, but by the time it was released we were all quite familiar with CDROM. Manhole on the Mac...when was that? Late 80s. Then TG-16, which was playing CD-G demos in the Toys R Us stores. Then the Sega CD which on one hand was a huge flop, but fucking anyone who knew anything about games was familiar with it. You could rent it almost anyplace that had games, and it sold a shitlaod of units, honestly. Then CD-i which ran late night infomercials ("Interact, Dave") for years. Windows 95, and Performa Macs from that time also brought CDROM into the computing mainstream. The 3DO, as shitty as it is, was a well known machine. Then you had the Jag CD, the Amiga CD32, Playdia, PC FX, the Saturn (only about a month before the PS in Japan, I think) and God knows what else.

By the time the Playstation was released CDROM was fully entrenched.
IMG

OceanBlueKirby

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/10/2008, 03:40 PMActually the Saturn was beating the Playstation 1 for quite a while.  It was considered a successful console over there.  It is sad because some of Sega's other consoles should have been at least as successful, but they weren't.  If the Mega Drive were more successful as well as the SMS and Dreamcast, I could only dream about the great games we would have seen by third parties.  Imagine a library of GREAT Sega CD games.  Didn't really happen.  The SMS definitely needed more Japanese love as well.  Perhaps... just perhaps... we could have had more mahjong games.  :)
I have read somewhere that financial difficulties had burdened SEGA from having much success with their consoles. The reasons for this seems to lie on the fact that they had given their consoles add-ons or upgrades. The Sega Saturn was also cheaper than the PlayStation was over there in order to help with sales possibly a little bit. Once the Dreamcast was released three years later in attempts to save them from this trouble, it was already too late. This is also why the Dreamcast was discontinued in 2001.

nat

Quote from: SignOfZeta on 02/10/2008, 06:25 PMPC FX, the Saturn (only about a month before the PS in Japan, I think) and God knows what else.
Yeah, the PC-FX, PS1, and Saturn were all released in Japan within four weeks of each other.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

SignOfZeta

Quote from: Game and Watch Kirby on 02/10/2008, 06:26 PM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 02/10/2008, 03:40 PMActually the Saturn was beating the Playstation 1 for quite a while.  It was considered a successful console over there.  It is sad because some of Sega's other consoles should have been at least as successful, but they weren't.  If the Mega Drive were more successful as well as the SMS and Dreamcast, I could only dream about the great games we would have seen by third parties.  Imagine a library of GREAT Sega CD games.  Didn't really happen.  The SMS definitely needed more Japanese love as well.  Perhaps... just perhaps... we could have had more mahjong games.  :)
I have read somewhere that financial difficulties had burdened SEGA from having much success with their consoles. The reasons for this seems to lie on the fact that they had given their consoles add-ons or upgrades. The Sega Saturn was also cheaper than the PlayStation was over there in order to help with sales possibly a little bit. Once the Dreamcast was released three years later in attempts to save them from this trouble, it was already too late. This is also why the Dreamcast was discontinued in 2001.
Basically, that is correct. People have a really fucked up understanding of the fall of Sega. The DC was doing well enough to support itself, but not well enough to make up for huge losses from the past. The disastrous handling of the Saturn in the US (his initials aren't "BS" for nothing) in particular was hugely expensive.

The DC was discontinued as part of a strategy to get support for Sega games on other machines. Games like Gun Valkyrie, Sega GT 2002, Panzer Orta, Virua Fighter 4, and Rez all would have been DC only if they weren't bribed into putting them on other machines as exclusives. The most blatant move was Shenmue 2 for XB in the US, which tried to force US DC gamers into buying a shitty Xbox and waiting a year to play a game that was cancelled on DC two weeks before release. In the end the smart ones all just imported it from the UK.

As for the pricing though, I'm pretty sure that both the SS, and PS were 40,000 yen, or very close to it, when introduced. There were eventual mark downs on the SS, but the same was true of the PS.
IMG

SNKNostalgia

One thing that was weird is that the Saturn came out before it really came out in a sense. I remember putting down a $50 deposit and $20 to rent the system from Blockbuster Video in May 95. There were only 3 games to play, Virtua Fighter, Panzer Dragoon and Clockwork Knight. I wonder if this kinda hurt the Saturn in anyway as these games were pretty generic, although Panzer Dragoon was pretty good. In Sep 95 and a little later it was like a different system when VF 2, Guardian Heroes, etc.. came out. By then most everyone I knew got the PS instead it seems. Games like Tekken, Twisted Metal, Warhawk, Philosoma, Ridge Racer, Air Combat etc.. just caught more interest to most people I guess.

I am glad a friend of mine bought the Saturn also after he got his PS1. I got to see a lot of great games and eventually bought one myself around 97. What sucks is as soon as I bought my Saturn the market was about dead for it US wise. Hell Dragon Force alone was one of the main reasons I bought it back then. Later on I went import crazy buying, Radiant Silver Gun, X-men vs. SF, D&D Collection, and most other Capcom arcade games. I have to admit that out of ten people I knew, one or two had a Saturn and all of them had a PS1 by Christmas 95.

Paisa49

Quote from: SNKNostalgia on 02/10/2008, 08:32 PMHell Dragon Force alone was one of the main reasons I bought it back then. Later on I went import crazy buying, Radiant Silver Gun, X-men vs. SF, D&D Collection, and most other Capcom arcade games. I have to admit that out of ten people I knew, one or two had a Saturn and all of them had a PS1 by Christmas 95.
I love Dragon Force for the Saturn. That game is so incredibly addicting. I still love playing the Saturn and the TG-16 to this day.

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: Paisa49I love Dragon Force for the Saturn. That game is so incredibly addicting. I still love playing the Saturn
8)

Quote from: SignOfZetaThe DC was discontinued as part of a strategy to get support for Sega games on other machines.
And look how well that went.  I swear I could have run Sega better than their management, and I am horrible at business.

Quote from: SNKNostalgiaI remember putting down a $50 deposit and $20 to rent the system from Blockbuster Video in May 95.
You're not alone, I did the same thing!

Quote from: FM-77Why is that sad? Why care about a company that you don't own?
Sega had massive potential and never had their place in the sun before they got their heart pulled out of their chest.  Just like poor Frederick III.  :?

I guess I could be a jerk here and say something along the lines of, "Why do people care about NEC and Hudson?"

OldRover

Quote from: Xiphas Classic on 02/11/2008, 07:48 PMSega had massive potential and never had their place in the sun before they got their heart pulled out of their chest.
This might be true, but remember that it was their own damn fault for that.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Ceti Alpha

QuoteI swear I could have run Sega better than their management, and I am horrible at business.
The same could be said of NEC's US marketing plan - what a debacle that was. If they launched the Turbo/PCE in the US properly, the Genesis would not have had the market control that they did. Though the Nintendo third party controls would still have been a nightmare. Hindsight...
IMG

SignOfZeta

I really don't think a well run Sega would have been as cool. By that mean that I seriously don't think that the products that came out of them would be the same. I mean, look at Sega now. Now they are doing much better financially but since killing the DC they've produced only a half dozen decent games (Feel the Magic, Rub Rabbits, Yakuza, Sonic Rush, Outrun 2, VF5) When the DC was alive they made a really good game...just about every month. Segagaga is one of Sega's greatest games, and its greatness is predicated on the player understanding that Sega was dying. The same can be said for Sakura Wars 4, the end of which...is quite a tear jerker if you get the metaphor.

A well run Sega of America could have been nice though. For example; buying the back cover of every game mag in the US to advertise Panzer Saga while not actually producing enough copies for people to actually buy...that's just stupid. Killing the Saturn early and deciding to release virtually nothing for over a year between the SS and DC...a horrible business decision.
IMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: ceti alpha on 02/11/2008, 09:06 PMThe same could be said of NEC's US marketing plan -
What marketing plan?  :lol:

Tatsujin

Quote from: Seldane on 02/10/2008, 02:47 PMWhy is that sad? Why care about a company that you don't own?
IMG

MissaFX

Quote from: Xiphas ClassicSega had massive potential and never had their place in the sun before they got pulled out their own beating heart pulled out of their chest and jumped on it over and over again.  Just like poor Frederick III an angst ridden teen.
Fixed :mrgreen:
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

Ceti Alpha

QuoteFixed Mr. Green
Drum roll please....

....and the play of the week goes to Missa!!  :mrgreen:
IMG

Kitsunexus

Quote from: Missa on 02/12/2008, 05:22 PM
Quote from: Xiphas ClassicSega had massive potential and never had their place in the sun before they got pulled out their own beating heart pulled out of their chest and jumped on it over and over again.  Just like poor Frederick III an angst ridden teen.
Fixed :mrgreen:
FTMFW.  8)
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Hobo Xiphas

Quote from: Missa on 02/12/2008, 05:22 PMFixed :mrgreen:
I always knew you were Otto von Bismarck in disguise.  This just confirms my suspicions.

rag-time4

1)TurboDuo
2)NES + Famicom Disk
3)PS2
sold the rest sorry!! O:)

Tatsujin

you don't coercively have to own the stuff you like to favor :)

Seldane

Quote from: Crystal Xiphas on 02/11/2008, 07:48 PMI guess I could be a jerk here and say something along the lines of, "Why do people care about NEC and Hudson?"
I don't.
IMG

guyjin

then why the hell are you here?

NecroPhile

Quote from: guyjin on 02/14/2008, 04:24 PMthen why the hell are you here?
He could just care about the products and be dismissive of the parent companies.

.....end Devil's Advocate mode

Seldane

Again, why the hell would I care about a company that I don't own? Oh wait, you're a fanboy, which means you're in love with a certain company no matter what, so you cannot understand my thoughts. I forgot about that.

I play games because I think it is fun. I could care less about who made the game I'm playing, or who made the hardware that I'm playing the game on. If the company that made the game or hardware goes bankrupt or stops doing whatever it is that they're doing, I don't care. There are other companies that do the same thing, and besides, there are already enough fun games to play. I wouldn't care if the entire industry died off.
IMG

guyjin

refuting you isn't even worth the keystrokes.

Seldane

Quote from: guyjin on 02/14/2008, 04:44 PMrefuting you isn't even worth the keystrokes.
I know. I'm too smart for you. You have nothing to counter with.
IMG

Ceti Alpha

QuoteI play games because I think it is fun. I could care less about who made the game I'm playing, or who made the hardware that I'm playing the game on. If the company that made the game or hardware goes bankrupt or stops doing whatever it is that they're doing, I don't care. There are other companies that do the same thing, and besides, there are already enough fun games to play. I wouldn't care if the entire industry died off.
I'm not sure I understand you correctly. Could you please clarify?  :P
IMG

Keranu

Quote from: Seldane on 02/14/2008, 04:45 PM
Quote from: guyjin on 02/14/2008, 04:44 PMrefuting you isn't even worth the keystrokes.
I know. I'm too smart for you. You have nothing to counter with.
It takes a troll to counter a troll ;) . In that case, allow me to counter: YS BOOK I & II FOR TGCD IS BY FAR THE BEST VERSION!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

nat

This is why I love Seldane, er, FM-77.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

NecroPhile

Quote from: nat on 02/14/2008, 06:03 PMThis is why I love Seldane, er, FM-77.
Indeed.  Every forum needs a contrarian to keep things lively.