Post #200, are there any Jaguar fans here?

Started by T2KFreeker, 02/25/2008, 06:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T2KFreeker

Yeah, so I have to ask because I actually like the 64 bit beast. Nice system with some cool games that got swept under the rug by an ignorant public and asshole Videogame Mags, what else is new? Antone else here have one?
END OF LINE.

OldRover

Used to own one, I spent hours upon hours playing Tempest 2000 and even Kasumi Ninja. I'd love to code the thing but it's too complex for me.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

T2KFreeker

Quote from: OldRover on 02/25/2008, 06:37 PMUsed to own one, I spent hours upon hours playing Tempest 2000 and even Kasumi Ninja. I'd love to code the thing but it's too complex for me.
There is alot of coding information for the thing these days as the Jaguar has a thriving Homebrew community and still has games releasing for it. Waiting on Madbodies at the moment.
END OF LINE.

OldRover

Yeah I know the Jag homebrew scene is alive and well these days, but they will never come close to being able to take full advantage of the hardware...even commercial companies couldn't do it back in the day.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

natethegreat82

I own one, along with the CD attachment. I wouldn't mind seeing more CD based homebrew titles since the cartridge ones tend to go for a lot of money. That, and the CD library is kind of small to begin with.

Rainbow_Bright

edit

MissaFX

The Jaguar controller though was a bit odd.  It reminded me of: An Intellivision Controller for a New Generation. 

I do remember it having some good action/shooter games on it, but I only ever had one friend who owned one.  He only bought it origionally because he wanted to play Tempest 2000, but ended up getting quite a few games for it.  If only the cart games had taken more advantage of the power of the system, it seemed like the quality between the cart games and the CD games was often huge, like a 16bit to 32bit difference in quality.
Good Traders: nat+, The Old Rover+, bust3dstr8+, nectarsis, geepee+, Mithos, zeon, sensei+, Windancer, OldSchoolGamer
35/62 FX games owned - 56.4%
05/62 FX games reviewed - 8.0%
Latest: Pachio-kun FX review - 4/9/08

T2KFreeker

Quote from: OldRover on 02/25/2008, 06:53 PMYeah I know the Jag homebrew scene is alive and well these days, but they will never come close to being able to take full advantage of the hardware...even commercial companies couldn't do it back in the day.
You'd be surprised what is going on in the Jaguar circles these days. Between Scatologic and 3D Stooges working hard at getting the system routines and other things like heavy duty libraries going, the system works ten times better now then it did back when it was released. We know more about the system now then we did back in 94, so this is good. I like that people are finally realizing that the Jaguar was indeed a 64 bit system and not that crap EGM was spewing, as they were wrong, again. What a friggin' concept. If more people would have used the 68000 chip for what it was designed to do in the Jaguar as a way to tell the Tom and Jerry chips what to do, we would have had more games take advantage of the system rather then cheaping out and having a bunch of Genesis ports recolored with the Jaguar Pallette.

So Tough, huh? I think I may have seen you around on JSII. Guess I'll be seing you around here as well. :lol:
END OF LINE.

guyjin

QuoteYou'd be surprised what is going on in the Jaguar circles these days. Between Scatologic and 3D Stooges working hard at getting the system routines and other things like heavy duty libraries going, the system works ten times better now then it did back when it was released.
yeah, from what I've read about it, the developers at the time really didn't have proper dev kits, which led to the subpar software. Good Job, Atari.  =D> :roll:

nat

Can the Jaguar handle 64-bit games of the same caliber as the Nintendo 64? Lots (for the time) of polygons and all that?

I don't know anything about the Jaguar other than it's anal-abortion of a controller is plenty reason for me to stay far, far away.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

My experience with Jaguar is very minimal, but I've been wanting to get one practically since they came out.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

guyjin

Quote from: Keranu on 02/25/2008, 11:31 PMMy experience with Jaguar is very minimal, but I've been wanting to get one practically since they came out.
you just want it 'cuz it was made in the USA.

(was it the last console made in the US? I think the Xboxes were all made in china...)

Keranu

Haha, yeah part of the reason is because it's ALL-AMERICAN. But I mostly want to get one so I can actually try it more. There are a few fun looking games for it and I'm also interested in all the homebrew support it gets.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

ParanoiaDragon

The Jag is cool, I have it along with the cd, & well, here's what I have for them:
Alien vs. Predator
Atari Karts
Attack of the Mutant Penguins
Baldies
Battlemorph
Blue Lightning
Braindead 13
Breakout 2000
Brutal Sports Football
Bubsy: In Fractured Fury Tails
Cannon Fodder
Checkard Flag
Club Drive
Cyber Morph
Defender 2000
Double Dragon V
Dragon
Dragon's Lair
Evolution Dino Dudes
Fever Pitch Soccer
Flashback
Flip Out
Hover Strike
Hover Strike CD
Hyper Force
Iron Soldier
Iron Soldier 2 CD
I-War
Missile Command
Myst
Native demo
NBA Jam
Painter
Pinball Fantasies
Pitfall
Power Drive Rally
Primal Rage
Protector
Protector SE
Raiden
Rayman
Ruiner Pinball
Skyhammer
Space Ace
Soccer Kid
Super Burn Out
Supercross 3d
Syndicate
Tempest 2000
Theme Park
Trevor McFur
Troy Aikman NFL Football
Val d' Isere Snowboarding
Vid Grid
White Men Can't Jump
Wolfenstein 3D
World Tour Racing
Zero 5
Zool 2
Zoop
IMG

Kitsunexus

Don't listen to the haters, EVERY SINGLE GAME on Jaguar rules. I <3 that system, and I might buy it before a PC Engine.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

Mobius

Had a Jag for several years now, but only ever got Tempest 2000 for it... I keep wanting to get Breakout 2000, but I've yet to pull the trigger.

Turbo D

Jaguar kicks ass! I have a Jag+cd+catbox. I also have a jackload of games for it.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

MurderDate

I meant to post this yesterday..  I'm starting to think about what system I want to check out after I devour the TG16 catalog .. and I'm thinking about Jaguar.  big maybe.   I really only care about late 80s / early 90s games and the Sega CD only has two or three games that I would really care to play it looks like.  I haven't seen a whole hell of a lot in the Jaguar library that seems interesting - but I have only briefly looked.   If I'm still raging horny for video games whence the TG library is down it will come down to Neo Geo (too expensive), Sega CD (too stupid) or Jag I think.   I'm not sure.  #-o
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Rainbow_Bright

How about neo geo cd or mvs? mvs games are very cheap and the neo geo cd looks so sexy...

MurderDate

rainbo - I don't know what any of that means.. I'll look into it.  thanks !
"I KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO! JUST KILL ME AND GET IT OVER WITH!"
"Don't be vulgar. We're artists..."
Jess Franco's La Comtesse Perverse

Rainbow_Bright

Well..you know neo geo cd, is well not a neo aes (cart) system, but a cd system! Games are a lot cheaper. The mvs is the arcade neo geo, if you buy an aes you can get a converter and it will play mvs games, which can be bought for VERY CHEAP. Or you could buy a jamma supergun and play mvs games that way..

td741

Quote from: rainbow_bright on 02/26/2008, 09:40 AMThe mvs is the arcade neo geo, if you buy an aes you can get a converter and it will play mvs games, which can be bought for VERY CHEAP.

I would not recommend going the AES + Converter route for MVS games.  Not all converters work for all games and some of them depends on your AES version and/or the power-supply you are using.  A 2 slot MVS board is generally a good buy as it has built-in Joystick ports for neo sticks (although it won't work with the Neo CD pads), memory card slots and earphone jacks.  All you need to do to tap the video from the JAMMA connector (or elsewhere).

guyjin

Quote from: td741 on 02/26/2008, 09:59 AMA 2 slot MVS board is generally a good buy as it has built-in Joystick ports for neo sticks (although it won't work with the Neo CD pads),
huh? I assumed all neo geo controllers were the same - how are the cd controllers different?

td741

Quote from: guyjin on 02/26/2008, 10:17 AMhuh? I assumed all neo geo controllers were the same - how are the cd controllers different?
Had to look it up since I couldn't quite remember:
"Just as an important note, we'll be using Ground (or 0 Volts) for our common voltage. Supposedly you can use +5V as your common voltage, but it did not work when I tried to use it on my MVS board. The AES and Neo Geo CD both use +5V as they're common voltage, however the Neo Geo joysticks will work with either Ground or +5V as they're common. The Neo CD joypads however do not work with Ground as a common, they actually require the +5V to operate."

http://web.njit.edu/~jal0737/Neo-Geo/Universal_Joysticks.htm

PCEngineFX

Getting back on topic...

I loved the Jaguar.  Back when I was a kid I got a Jaguar for Xmas and I literally cried after opening it up.  Now I have 2 Jags, the CD-ROM unit, and the successor to the Jag - the Nuon.

One of the fun things I did with the Jag was network play DOOM.  I had 2 TVs, 2 Jags and 2 copies of Doom running and my homemade Jag link cable.....my friend and I would play that for hours killing each other.  Because of the homemade nature of the link cable it would disconnect/reconnect the game periodically.  Fun times :)
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

TR0N

Quote from: td741 on 02/26/2008, 09:59 AM
Quote from: rainbow_bright on 02/26/2008, 09:40 AMThe mvs is the arcade neo geo, if you buy an aes you can get a converter and it will play mvs games, which can be bought for VERY CHEAP.

I would not recommend going the AES + Converter route for MVS games.  Not all converters work for all games and some of them depends on your AES version and/or the power-supply you are using.  A 2 slot MVS board is generally a good buy as it has built-in Joystick ports for neo sticks (although it won't work with the Neo CD pads), memory card slots and earphone jacks.  All you need to do to tap the video from the JAMMA connector (or elsewhere).
Agreed best way to play,MVS at home is either consolized the board or run it through a supergun.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

td741

As for the Jaguar...

I've got one and I like it.

That said, when I bought one on release I was very disappointed in the titles (If I remember correctly I had recently gotten a Neo-Geo and I also had a 3D0 system).  It took several months before we were able to actually buy any worth while titles (Iron Soldier being mostly it).  I sold off my first Jaguar around when the Playstation was released.  What annoyed me was that all sorts of titles started to come out a couple of months afterwards.

A few years later, a friend of mine was moving and I bought his old Genesis + Sega CD and Jaguar.  I bought a JagCD and started to buy some of the games.  I don't regret picking up the Jag again but right when I got Iron Soldier 2 + a few bonus disks (with the Native demo) my JagCD died.  I've looked it up and I think it's just a wire that needs soldering but I've got the soldering skills of a tapeworm.

GUTS

The only system worse than the Jaguar is the Virtual Boy, and that's only because the VB makes you sick- the actual VB library is way better than the Jaguar library.  Hell, the CDI had a better library.

T2KFreeker

Quote from: nat on 02/25/2008, 10:07 PMCan the Jaguar handle 64-bit games of the same caliber as the Nintendo 64? Lots (for the time) of polygons and all that?

I don't know anything about the Jaguar other than it's anal-abortion of a controller is plenty reason for me to stay far, far away.
Uhm, considering that the Jaguar was made in 1994 VS the N64 that came in the late 90's, the N64 has a bit of an edge graphics wise over the Jaguar. As for the controller, what makes you hate on the control pad? If you haven't actually played with one, you don't know. The pad really is not that bad, especially if you are able to snag a Pro Controller with the six buttons on the face and trigger buttons. The key pad looks intimidating at first, but do you remember the first time you saw a control pad with more than two or three buttons? Was heavy shit back then, but the keypad has several functions and works out quite well especially with gems like AVP and DOOM. The system is awesome, especially if you are lucky enough to have snagged GORF! :lol: I was, it's awesome!

Want to see a great example of what the Jaguar can pull off graphically? Check out Battlesphere.
END OF LINE.

T2KFreeker

Quote from: GUTS on 02/28/2008, 03:12 PMThe only system worse than the Jaguar is the Virtual Boy, and that's only because the VB makes you sick- the actual VB library is way better than the Jaguar library.  Hell, the CDI had a better library.
And what Jaguar games have you played?
END OF LINE.

Kitsunexus

Quote from: T2KFreeker on 02/28/2008, 05:54 PMWant to see a great example of what the Jaguar can pull off graphically? Check out Battlesphere.
Check out the Dactyl Joust video. I hope they release the alpha (beta?)/source for that someday.
Forgive me, my brain is on par with the Bubble System.
THE CHEMICAL BROTHERS RULE!

NecroPhile

Quote from: GUTS on 02/28/2008, 03:12 PMThe only system worse than the Jaguar is the Virtual Boy, and that's only because the VB makes you sick- the actual VB library is way better than the Jaguar library.  Hell, the CDI had a better library.
What does it have that's better than Aliens vs Predator or Tempest 2000?  I don't know the CD-i library very well, outside of Dragon's Lair, Myst, and others of that ilk.  :-k
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

nat

I don't know anything about the CD-i but I'd rather play Myst than AvP any day.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

T2KFreeker

Quote from: nat on 02/28/2008, 07:10 PMI don't know anything about the CD-i but I'd rather play Myst than AvP any day.
Jaguar CD has Myst, and a better version to boot.
END OF LINE.