Coregrafx Super CDRom vs Original Suitcase CDRom

Started by monads, 12/10/2004, 02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monads

So why is it for mint copies of either I see the original suitace command a higher price?  The Coregrafx version appears a better deal being able to play SuperCDs without a system card.  Is the price discrepancy just collectors factor?

dj898

collection really... and that you can use LT on the suitcase setup.
I've sold mine early this year for hansom profit...  and that one was freebie... :lol:

monads

I like the way the suitcase version looks though.  I just wish it was wasn't as expensive.

dj898

sold mine for USD 150 plus shipping - it was something thrown in as freebie when I bought a SuperGrafx from someone. probably he didn't know the value on the thing...  :D

Zerojean

The suitcase is the original deal, I don't think sany PCE owner can be such an authority to say which is the most authentic set up, though personally I love my Briefcase, its the one i'd always wanted............though in 1993 i did have the Core II/SCDRom2 set up........still do but the SCD is kaput :(

In retrospect I knpw I overpiad for my briefcase, boxed w/ new Avenue 6 for £209........prolly too much, but it is ace.

Only problem with SCDRom is its nickname as the butfucker.
Baseley09 in disguise.

dj898

here's the picture of the one I sold earlier...  :)

IMG

cheers

monads

Hey that looks in pretty good condition.  The one I'm looking at is around $270.  Of course it's mint (no sunfades) with box and everything.  I just don't want so spend that much.  I do want a mint unit though :D

Zerojean, what do you mean the "SCD is kaput"?  It doesn't play them?

dj898

wow extra $120 for box and manual?
I'd take loose anyday unless it's to be kept locked away for collection...  :D

kstyle251

CrackTiger

They're collectibles. They aren't bought at collector's prices for their functionality.

As a system to play Hu's & CDs, the PCE LT sucks ass compared to a Duo.

But guess why the LT sells for more?
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

Do you have/had a LT? Those things look awesome, but are their HuCard & CD capabilities really bad?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

CrackTiger

Quote from: "Keranu"Do you have/had a LT? Those things look awesome, but are their HuCard & CD capabilities really bad?

An LT sucks compared to a Duo for playing CD games because it doesn't have a CD-ROM.

The pad(ie: the entire thing) isn't as easy to use as a regular PCE/Duo pad and is 7 times the size.

The first player pad on an LT is always 2 button, but a Duo's first player pad can be 6-button, a joystick or even a PSX peripheral.

Therefore, I'd rather own a Duo over an LT to play games.

As a collectible basing value on rarity, the LT is worth more.

I don't own an LT, but was just outbid for one recently that went for $450.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

Keranu

$450 seems like a pretty good price, was this on Ebay?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: "Keranu"$450 seems like a pretty good price, was this on Ebay?

Yeah, it was one of those perfect circumstances between how it was listed and the seller's rep & description.

I just couldn't be there for the last minute, otherwise without my eratic early bids, it probably would've gone for like $300.

Keranu

$300 would have been so excellent! Those things seem to go for $600 or so. There is this one site that sells them, I forget the price but it was a European site so the currency was in pounds.
IMG

vicviper

QuoteAn LT sucks compared to a Duo for playing CD games because it doesn't have a CD-ROM.
The LT can be used with the regular CD-Rom2 interface unit (suitcase) the same way a normal PCE core can.  Its about the same size as the Duo in that configuration, plus you get an extra screen.  I've used one this way for years, hucard, CD's SCD's, ACD's...  its the best setup possible.  And unlike the Duo you can self-reset your CD tracks if you need to, with the CD player buttons.

Also, if you are crafty, you can do something like this to use the SCD drive:

http://members.aol.com/xexex/pce/scdlt.htm

That is also a badass setup and great for car trips since the SCD runs on a natural 12 volts.

QuoteThe pad(ie: the entire thing) isn't as easy to use as a regular PCE/Duo pad and is 7 times the size.

Huh?  Just plug a controller in!

QuoteThe first player pad on an LT is always 2 button, but a Duo's first player pad can be 6-button, a joystick or even a PSX peripheral.

This is not true.  The pad input on the LT functions the same way a Duo or Coregrafx would.  If you plug a pad into an LT, it will be P1 control.  If you plug a tap in, and connect to slot 1, it will also be P1.  6-Button controllers work just fine... I used to take my PC Engine LT to school every day and challenge my friends to Street Fighter with either the Avenue Pad 6's or Hori Fighting Sticks.  You can use whatever you want.

If you push the buttons on the built in pad while a tap and multiple controllers in, weird stuff happens (all 5p will be activated), but other than that, the LT functions the same as any other PC Engine when it comes to controller connections.

QuoteI don't own an LT, but was just outbid for one recently that went for $450

I saw that one too.  I'm currently auctioning off one of mine, but it doesn't look like it will go for cheap since I'm including the box, all covers, and a portable battery booster.

\V-V/

esteban

QuoteAnd unlike the Duo you can self-reset your CD tracks if you need to, with the CD player buttons.

yes, one of the reasons why I've always liked the TG-16 + CD setup are the convenient CD buttons (and the LED track display!)...

but I've never tried to reset audio tracks while playing a game.  Does this work?  I wish I had known this years ago, because there were some games (with scratches, probably) that would sometimes get fouled up on the Red Book soundtrack... the TG-CD would eventually correct itself, but sometimes it took a loooooooong time :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Kabuki Den lets you level up with any CD music you want.

I forget which buttons you press(its in my walkthrough) but you just swap discs and hit the right buttons and it'll play the same track number.

I actually read the trick in the manual or maybe a japanese magazine or something, so it was intended to do something and this is themost logical thing I could think of.

If its just the same track number, it wouldn't be so convenient back when it came out, before cheap CD burners.

esteban

Quote from: "CrackTiger"Kabuki Den lets you level up with any CD music you want.

I forget which buttons you press(its in my walkthrough) but you just swap discs and hit the right buttons and it'll play the same track number.

I actually read the trick in the manual or maybe a japanese magazine or something, so it was intended to do something and this is themost logical thing I could think of.

If its just the same track number, it wouldn't be so convenient back when it came out, before cheap CD burners.

very kool.  i never heard of this... i'll have to check out your FAQ because it's neat that Kabuki Den (and possibly other games) allowed you to swap CDs.

the only thing I've ever heard of, concerning the swapping of discs, is CD Battle Hikari No Yuushatachi, in which you switch CDs for random  gameplay interaction (determing the attributes of your fighters), not for music.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG