10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

An unbiased R-Type Command review

Started by Lord Thag, 05/09/2008, 02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lord Thag

I just picked this up yesterday, and given the ridiculously low scores it's getting from the online gaming 'press' (*chuckle snort*), I figured that I'd write a review from the standpoint of someone who actually plays games and has an ounce of taste.

Game Description:

R-Type Command (RTC from now on) is a turn based strategy game played on a hex grid. It takes most of the units and ships from the R-Type series and turns them into units you command on the hex grid. Like the shooter series, you command the forces of earth against the 'Bydo Empire', a bio-organic version of the Borg, in essence. Unlike the series, you control far more than a single fighter. You control squadrons of them, with support ships, transports, carriers, and giant dreadnoughts. Like the shooter, most of your fighters can be equipped with 'forces', a sort of hybrid earth/bydo technology that powers up the weapons on your ships. Gameplay takes place on large hex maps, and you are usually tasked with destroying the enemie's flag ship, or recovering data. The terrain is often colorful and varied, often mimicing actual R-Type stages, so you'll play through a strategy map that looks like a side-view shooter stage.

Unlike other turn based games of this sort, there are VASTLY more strategic options at your disposal, and all of them have multiple modes of attack. Each fighter comes equipped with different short/medium/long range weapons, and like the shooter, many of them have charge shots that take a few turns to power up. This is often a major consideration, as one of these charged shots can wipe out several enemy squadrons at once, but one hit on your fighter knocks the gauge back to zero. Couple this with all of the other lasers, missiles, nukes and about eighty different units, and you have a TON of options at your disposal. When you add forces into the mix, the number of options becomes staggering.

Another area where RTC differs from your usual fare is between missions. You have to collect resources (3 kinds) during missions, and you spend them on building and researching new ships and weapons. Your forces are 100% personally customisable, and your fleet remains between rounds, to the point where you assign individual captains, pilots, and AI computers to your different ships, all of whom level up over time. You can chose to alter, re-equip, re-build or research your armada between rounds, and deploy it as you see fit. New mission unlock new technologies as well, so you will never run out of interesting ships to build.

And ad-hoc multiplayer mode is also available, for those who want to duke it out with a friend. Two disks are required, and there is a mode that allows you to wager resources that can be used in the campaign.

Review:

After spending last evening playing this game, I have come to the conclusion that online reviews of strategy titles are pure donkey poo. All of the ones I read whine about the game being 'too slow'. Yeah, it's slow. It's TURN BASED and a STRATEGY title. Idiots.

But I digress. The short version is that, if you like games like Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, or Military Madness, you will love RTC. The level of strategic depth in this game is mind boggling. For example, your basic R-9 fighter (the first plane you get) Has a vulcan cannon, long range missiles, as well as a charge shot, the latter being a potentially game-winning attack. Vulcans are weak, but useful up close. The missiles can fire over range (think artillery in Military Madness or Advance wars), and the charge shot fires a straight beam about five hexes long, hitting ALL units (including yours) in the way. The charge shot can easily wipe out several whole squadrons, but the charge meter gets reset every time the unit is attacked, so proper maneuvering is a must. Pair this ship up with a force, and you get multiple kinds of lasers, as well as a defensive bonus from the front (or the back if you attach from behind). Your missiles can double as defensive weapons as well, and you can target incoming ordinance with them.

That's just ONE ship. All of the rest are totally different. For example, the first bomber you get has multiple missile attacks of differing ranges, including a one shot nuke which should be your central punch through the first few levels. In addition, it has a defensive forcefield shot that can wipe out enemy ordinance, but it lacks the charge beam. That's two ships out of eighty. As you can imagine, the level of depth is astoudingly deep. Add in the capital ships, repair droids, supply units, scout ships, radar ships and all the rest, and you have a very deep ocean to swim in.

That being said, it's not hard to play. While the 'tutorial' missions do a very poor job of explaining anything (and the manual is not the best), it doesn't take a degree in nuclear physics to figure everything out. After one false start, I was up and going without problems. The maps are varied, and I love the fact that many of them are presented just like a side-view shooter level, complete with end bosses that fill the screen. The two forces (Earth and Bydo) are very different too, the former being lesser in number but stronger, while the latter is more numerous and regenerates.

Each fighter on the map represents a squadron of five ships, and as they take damage, this number decreases, just like Military Madness or Advance Wars. Docking a damaged squad with your carrier will replentish the damage, making keeping the big ships close a must (though this can be veeeery dangerous, as they are often the target of enemy fire). Every other attack or so, you will be treated to a full screen (or windowed if you prefer) full-3d shot of the combat taking place, just like Military Madness or Advance wars, only with a lot ore eye candy. This is easily the game's coolest, yet worst feature. The graphics are gorgeous, and it's awesome to watch your squadron fling energy death into the middle of an enemy unit. The problem is the load times. It takes 5-8 seconds to load these scenes, which can definately get to be a drag after awhile. Fortunately, these can be turned off if you desire, or set to a random timer.

The graphics are beautiful for the fight scenes, and the hex map is very nice as well. All of the units are easily identifiable at a glance, and the levels are varied and full of interesting things like asteroids, mines, research facilities, and a gazillion other interesting tid-bits for you to shoot, capture, or fiddle with. Terrain often adds a lot to the strategic depth of the game.

The A.I. is pretty good too. I'd rank it as comparable to Military Madness, though I haven't played through the entire campaign yet. I've won every mission thus far, but then again, I've played Military Madness and Advance Wars multiple times, so strategy games are old hat to me. Unlike the online reviews, it's certainly not a cake walk. That said, it's not the hardest game I've ever played either. Use your own judgment. Each level gets more difficult, but the game doesn't ever seem to be unfair. If you lose, it's because you did something foolish, not because the A.I. cheats. The A.I. does show some remarkable clever maneuvering at times (sending weak units in to plink your charge shot fighters and reset their gauges, for example).

The sound is another weak point. The music is very generic, and completely forgetable. It's not actively bad, mind you, but it you rarely even notice it's there. It's not a game breaker, by any means, but you won't be whistling a tune after your done playing. The sound effects are nice though, and sound exactly like comperable weapons and enemies from R-Type Final on the PS2.

Another nice touch is the story. Between each level you are treated to the 'Ship's Logs' of your captain, who tells the story of his hopeless fight against the Bydo empire. It's not academy award winning stuff, but it's far more detailed than most games of this genre, and it's a damn site better than all those annoying anime characters in Advance Wars jawing about 'war'. You can save the game at any time, making it very portable.

In conclusion, this game is not to be missed if you like strategy titles, and don't mind the leisurely pace of a turn based title. Why reviewers whine about pacing in these kinds of games, then wax eloquent over the latest turn-based RPG is beyond me. This is a great game, and by FAR the deepest hand-held strategy experience I've seen outside Disgaea. It's gorgeous, deep, very fun, and provides a fair challenge. The A.I. is better than Advance wars or Field Commander, and if anything, it reminds me VERY strongly of Military Madness, only updated for the new milenium.

If you like strategy games, this is a must buy. Besides, who doesn't like a good handheld strategy game with armadas of customisable ships, that comes with a free plastic model of an R-Type fighter?

Pros:

Very deep strategy
Customizable fleets
Researchable units
Tons of options for you ships
Lots of eye candy
80+ ships and 60+ missions
Play as Bydo or Earth force
Free plastic R-Type fighter!

Cons:

Slow load times for battle scenes
Bland music
Poor tutorial
Manual is pretty, but light on content
Turn based - shmups fans may not approve
Dodging little white bullets since the Carter administration

nectarsis

=D> =D> =D> Excellent review.  Going to get it tonight (if any of these weak sauce stores by me has it).  ](*,) ](*,)
My Blogger profile with all my blogs of wonderment:
blogger.com/profile/08066967226239965436

handygrafx

Very nice review, thank you!  Much better than IGN's.

GUTS

WOW YOU SPENT A WHOLE NIGHT PLAYING THE GAME AND NOW YOU'RE QUALIFIED TO SAY EVERY OTHER REVIEW THAT GIVES IT A LOW SCORE IS DOG SHIT!  AWESOME DUDE!

OldRover

The tool returns! Woohoo! We missed your garbage posts around here lately, GUTS, please do come back more often and shower us with your witty, cornfed gruel!
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

Sinistron

Don't mind this moron Thag.  GUTS doesn't have any.  He pops up like a needling prairie dog every three weeks and tries his hardest to say something memorable then jumps away again like a little Mary looking for another hop-scotch board.
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

Lord Thag

Heh, no worries. I've got better things to do in life than argue with some infantile fanboy who hasn't figured out what the CAPS LOCK key on his keyboard does yet  :lol:

Besides, watching morons make fools of themselves is one of my favorite pastimes.  :mrgreen:

Back on topic: This game continues to be quite the fun time. I've played a couple more hours of it this evening. Very fun stuff! Anyone else playing it yet?
Dodging little white bullets since the Carter administration

nectarsis

Just got mine today..gotta hit another Gamestop..try and get the ship..the one I hit was out ;)

BTW Lord...are you playing on a PSP Phat, or slim?

Hehehehe..I am now 2 R-9's richer  :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

Keranu

Quote from: GUTS on 05/09/2008, 09:43 PMWOW YOU SPENT A WHOLE NIGHT PLAYING THE GAME AND NOW YOU'RE QUALIFIED TO SAY EVERY OTHER REVIEW THAT GIVES IT A LOW SCORE IS DOG SHIT!  AWESOME DUDE!
Coming from the man who judges games within it's first 15 minutes, at the most, according to his website!  :mrgreen:
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

nectarsis

^ Keranu with the BURNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN  =D> =D> =D> =D>

rag-time4

Does this game have the OF-1 ship from Image Fight? I need to check this out.... :-k

Sinistron

Quote from: rag-time4 on 05/11/2008, 01:48 AMDoes this game have the OF-1 ship from Image Fight? I need to check this out.... :-k
Hey Rag-time-
How do I get the R-type ship on Image Fight II?  I saw someone do it on youtube...
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

Alt-Nintega

I will give this a try. For some reason, these "pro reviewers" are always harsh on non-mainstream games. It is all about money folks. Why do you think EVERY SINGLE ROCKSTAR GAME CRAPPY OR NOT gets near perfect ratings? Think about it.

OldRover

I've yet to actually encounter a Rockstar stinker. Then again, I don't play many games anyways. but yes, it is all about the money, and the promotional bullshit, and the ass-kissing and snowballing.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

rag-time4

Quote from: Sinistron on 05/11/2008, 09:15 AM
Quote from: rag-time4 on 05/11/2008, 01:48 AMDoes this game have the OF-1 ship from Image Fight? I need to check this out.... :-k
Hey Rag-time-
How do I get the R-type ship on Image Fight II?  I saw someone do it on youtube...
I don't know how to do it myself Sinistron!

It was said in my Image Fight II thread that there is a code...

Image Fight II thread

I'll bump that thread asking for the code here on pcenginefx... why don't you try asking the person who posted the video, and let's see if we can find out...

:wink:

guyjin

Quote from: Schmickle Schmackle on 05/11/2008, 01:57 PMFor some reason, these "pro reviewers" are always harsh on non-mainstream games.
Yeah, the payola going on in the games industry is pretty disgusting. I don't trust any professional reviewer anymore, except zero punctuation, but that's only because he criticizes EVERYTHING.*

*except portal, but that's koo.

CrackTiger

Quote from: rag-time4 on 05/11/2008, 08:52 PM
Quote from: Sinistron on 05/11/2008, 09:15 AM
Hey Rag-time-
I don't know how to do it myself Sinistron!

It was said in my Image Fight II thread that there is a code...

Image Fight II thread

I'll bump that thread asking for the code here on pcenginefx... why don't you try asking the person who posted the video, and let's see if we can find out...

:wink:
The bonus ship(s) are selectable after finishing the game.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!