TG16 CD help needed

Started by mdoty1, 01/07/2005, 01:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mdoty1

Whenever I try to play a cd game I get an error that says "Please Rest Disc". What does this mean and how can I fix the problem. I got this system on ebay about half a year ago and it was working great until recently.

monads

I know I had a problem with my Duo not playing CDs but it turned out to be a RAM problem.  Just did a format and then I could play again.  Not sure if this is a similar case with your TG CD but I thought I'd chime in.

monad.

esteban

Quote from: "mdoty1"Whenever I try to play a cd game I get an error that says "Please Rest Disc". What does this mean and how can I fix the problem. I got this system on ebay about half a year ago and it was working great until recently.

do music CD's work?  If so, then you know that the motor and lens assembly are probably fine.  Carefully clean the CD lens...

Try loading the game a few times.  If you are playing a CD-R (burned copy), and you still get "reset" then it is an imperfect copy.  

or

Try loading it a few times.  If it is an original disc, and is scratched or scuffed, you should be able to get it to work (this has happened to me, but with a  1 / 4 success rate).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

DragonmasterDan

What types of CDs are you trying to play, as stevek mentioned CDRs and Turbo CD systems don't mesh very well. The TurboGrafx CD and TurboDuo are using 14 or so year old lasers that weren't as strong at reading as are ones in 9.99 imitation discmans you find at a discount store. Simply put they have a lot of difficulty reading CDRs, and even perfect copies made directly from my actual copies of games have trouble when burned at low speeds on quality media, whereas actual CDs made from a glass master work flawlessly. If your problem is with CDRs it's likely not actually a problem with the system, they're all like that (unless the system had a better replacement laser put in).
--DragonmasterDan

Nutribrain

Another user suggested that air could work. Blow away all this dust.

mdoty1

I have the same problem with both originals and copies. I got it working for a short time (no idea how) but it's giving that same error again.

DragonmasterDan

Maybe lens cleaning might help you, like try VERY gently wiping the lens with a q-tip.
--DragonmasterDan

PCEngineHell

Back in 94,Smartworks was selling Turbo Cd systems for 50 bucks a pop.They got them all from NEC in some deal they had going about that Duo interface card for pc to use your Duo as a PC cd-rom drive.Anyway,they made the card,and at the same time NEC killed the Duo stateside,and in a deal to make up lost money,gave Smartworks remaining TurboGrafx/Duo/Cd/Express hardware.They sold it at extremely nice prices needless to say.TZD because of the deal was only allowed to move Duo systems if you did a trade in of somekind for a few years there.Anyway,to get to the point.I went through 5 New Turbo cd systems in a 2 year period.The cd decks would die if I gave them normal use.Things would start off happening,like Fighting Streets,it would take excessive times to load a round,past the normal 9 second load time for that game.Vasteel was another one.Sometimes the decks wouldnt load at all,they would just sit there,and if I tapped them they would all the sudden load the data.I had one that would act insane,playing random music tracks and skipping around,which became annoying on a game like Cosmic Fantasy 2,because the end song sucked,and hearing it while playing the game made it worse.I had employees from Nec on the help line tell me it was due to heat damage.Those units were built very compact,not allowing for normal air and heat disipitation,so they would burn out,faster then the NeoGeo cd even.Needless to say,a couple of years ago,TZD was selling the cd drives themselves as replacement parts.I think the asking price was 50 bucks...go figure.