Dumb Bubblegum Crash question

Started by nat, 06/16/2008, 07:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nat

So, uh, this is probably a really dumb question but how the f--k do you open the doors in the final maze in Bubblegum Crash? I've tried every combination of button presses known to man (even RUN+SELECT accidentally, oops) with 0 results. I've come across like 30 doors and not a single one opens. runin's review of the game mentions "exploring rooms" so there must be a way to get into these things.

I've tried so many things I can only conclude that the English patch somehow broke something here (did anyone actually test the English version on the real hardware?).
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

TurboXray

Quotedid anyone actually test the English version on the real hardware?
Yes by a few people and was beaten on the real system. Hmm- I remember the doors...sorry that's about it  :mrgreen:

Did you patch the rom yourself or obtain it through PM channels?

nat

I patched it myself via the patch you provided in the original thread.

I'd like to hear from someone who remembers that part just what needs to be done to open the doors so I can try it again just to be sure. Although I've pretty much settled on the fact my copy must be fuxored somehow.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

Keranu

Are you sure that you don't need some kind of key or something?
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

NecroPhile

I played through it a couple times in both M.E. and on real hardware, so I can confirm that the patch didn't break it.  Unfortunately, I don't remember how to open the doors, but I'll check it out tonight.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

NecroPhile

To enter a door, turn and face it and walk forward (press up).  I have a map of the final area if anybody is interested.

P.S. - Sorry that I forgot to update this yesterday, but better late than never.

nat

I'm interested.

So I guess my copy is broken-- pressing UP is the first thing I tried. Someone somewhere else mentioned I need keys or something though. I swear I've  been all around the maze and seen no keys, and no doors will let me enter.

NecroPhile

Bubblegum Crash Map

The elevator switch room will enable the first floor up/second floor down elevators; the monitoring rooms have to be visited before the second floor up elevator will open (leading to the final boss).

GUTS

That's a damn good map, nice job.  That maze was frustrating as hell, I used save states over and over to avoid fights after the first half-hour or so running around it.

NecroPhile

Thanks, GUTS.  The encounter rate is pretty annoying and it's easy to get lost (everything looks the same), so a map really helps to lower the frustration factor.  If you (or anyone else) spots an error, please let me know and I'll fix it accordingly; and if anyone wants to give it a more permanent home, have at it.