RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

TurboPlay Magazine Archives: UPDATE (03.14.05)

Started by esteban, 02/21/2005, 04:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

esteban

NEW update for 03.14.05

REQUEST: Please report any and all broken links, bad images, factual errors, grammatical goofs, and ludicrous statements you find at the TurboPlay Magazine Archives!  Thanks. Peace.

03.14.05:  Slowly, but surely, we are getting there, my friends.  TURBOFORCE # 2  (32 pages) is now 100% online and available in all of its glory, courtesy of Layne and Matt.  We at the Archives wholeheartedly thank (once again!) Layne and Matt for their undying support.  I was so inspired, in fact, that I prepared another issue -- TURBOFORCE # 3 (32 pages) -- to make this update a double-feature.  Now, for the first time in the history of the Archives, all four issues of TURBOFORCE are available for your perusal... Do you know what that means?  Yes, that's right, as of today, twenty (out of 21)  known TG-16 magazines are documented in our online collections.

PRIOR UPDATES
03.05.05: So, you actually read the commentary I write for each and every issue preserved here at the Archives?  Well, then I have good news for you... I finally added some notes for duoworld # 1 .  I must say, this premier issue of duoworld was superb ... and packed with tons of worthwhile content (you'll find something of interest, I promise!)  In case you were wondering: no, my comment about John Madden Super CD Football wasn't a joke, I'm afraid.  Please feel free to send me your copy so I can enjoy the Japanese college football video clips in all their glory.

03.05.05: Yes, I hate crappy page scans.  That's why I went back and re-scanned nearly the entire issue of TurboPlay # 14 (the last TurboPlay to be published).  The old scans were horrid and we think you'll appreciate the new ones.  PLEASE NOTE that we are still missing the last two pages of the magazine (pages 31 and 32) because the cover ripped years ago and we can't find it now!  Maybe I'll throw the old scans for these pages back on the web... but I hope to have a proper fix soon.

02.21.05: DuoWorld # 1 (I re-scanned the entire issue... every page is available... i think... fans of the Urusei Yatsura (anime) & PCE CD Urusei Yatsura: Stay With You will dig the feature on both in this issue):
Browse DUO WORLD # 1  now

02.21.05: DuoWorld # 3 (A fellow TG fan, Layne, contributed scans... yes, this final installment is only 16 pages in length... Check out the kool Beyond Shadowgate centerfold  and front / back cover artwork!  Laugh at the goofy Prince Erik mini-poster! See the "NEWS" section and you'll find out that Green Jelly play Bonk's Adventure on TurboExpress, that Kaneko released an arcade version of Bonk, etc. etc)
Browse DUO WORLD # 3  now

02.21.05: TurboForce # 4 (Thank Layne again for contributing these scans! Also, I think I'll be making a feature out of the Johnny Turbo Controversy in the "Letters to the Editor")
Browse TURBOFORCE # 4 now

02.21.05: TurboPlay # 7 (100% online... it took me a weekend to scan this issue, scanning is tedious.  Check out the wonderful behind-the-scenes peek at the making of It Came from the Desert!  Fans and haters of FMV games will dig it!)
Browse TurboPlay # 7 now

REQUEST: Please report any and all broken links, bad images, factual errors, grammatical goofs, and ludicrous statements you find at the TurboPlay Magazine Archives!  Thanks. Peace.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Keranu

Same post as the one I did on Magic Engine's forums...

AWESOME!
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

turbocozmo

I love the archives. Really I LOVE them. I saved them all to my harddrive, and the last batch wasn't missing anything. Thanks for all your hard work mate.

esteban

Quote from: "turbocozmo"I love the archives. Really I LOVE them. I saved them all to my harddrive, and the last batch wasn't missing anything. Thanks for all your hard work mate.

thanks!  If you saved them recently (within last week) then you're in good shape...  otherwise, go back and re-save issue # 7 (Keranu, you might need to do this as well)... because the older scans of this issue were horrid.  cheers!

Keranu

Yeah, I am going back and redownloading issue 7. I downloaded the updated ones a couple days ago and enjoyed them! :D
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG

esteban

peace :)

Keranu

I'll be sure to redownload those and check out that commentary ;) . (yes same post as the Magic Engine forums, meh)
IMG

doomfarer75

steve!  sorry buddy, was away this weekend and trying to get a business up on the net....I have the EGM info catalogued,  and feel you may be interested in a couple of things.  In one issue if you don't have it already,  is a turbo insert more than a  5 pages long that really is one huge advertisement showcasing the system and CD, while profiling several upcoming games..quite nice. On top of that are the '91 and '92 buyers guides with several reviews and The yearly "awards"  which a few turbo classics like Ys and ninja spirit won.  Then there ae intial glimpses of what would become the legendary Dracula X among other games,  and articles on the forthcoming "duo machine"...I think you'd like the insert....its awesome.  Now that I read them now,  EGM really didn't appreciate the turbo very much...and lavished the genesis (and their cd) with attention  ugghh!   I love the pc engine coverage though!....let me know what you think...Got a brand newrazor opened copy of dead moon, have you played it?   R-type complete scd, and air zonk....:)
"Look to your knives now, and 'ware the foeman."- The Doomfarers of Coramonde, by Brian Daley

http://www.brian-daley.com/default.htm
http://www.charlesatlas.com

Keranu

IMG

esteban

Quote from: "doomfarer75"steve!  sorry buddy, was away this weekend and trying to get a business up on the net....I have the EGM info catalogued,  and feel you may be interested in a couple of things.  In one issue if you don't have it already,  is a turbo insert more than a  5 pages long that really is one huge advertisement showcasing the system and CD, while profiling several upcoming games..quite nice. On top of that are the '91 and '92 buyers guides with several reviews and The yearly "awards"  which a few turbo classics like Ys and ninja spirit won.  Then there ae intial glimpses of what would become the legendary Dracula X among other games,  and articles on the forthcoming "duo machine"...I think you'd like the insert....its awesome.  Now that I read them now,  EGM really didn't appreciate the turbo very much...and lavished the genesis (and their cd) with attention  ugghh!   I love the pc engine coverage though!....let me know what you think...Got a brand newrazor opened copy of dead moon, have you played it?   R-type complete scd, and air zonk....:)

hey!  don't worry, i totally meant to respond sooner as well!  :)

I have the 92 (and the 93 egm buyers' guide, you'll dig it), but I DON'T have '91... so that would be very kool.

If you wanted to save me some work, you could scan 91 and 92 EGM buyers guides... otherwise, I can scan 92.

everything else you mentioned sounds great!  I may have some of that stuff, but since I haven't scanned it yet, I would appreciate your help tremendously!

I found a bunch of sega vs. TG-16 vs snes stuff that I think you'll like.

esteban

03.15.05 UPDATE -- two additional issues are now online.  

Site stats: 20 / 21 TG-16 magazines 100% scanned and online.  

Soon Duo World # 2 will be available as well... at which point the Archives will be hunting high and low for all the issues of TurboEdge (official TG-16 newsletter).  I don't know how many issues were ultimately released... but I think it's around 5-6.

ENJOY!  :)

doomfarer75

Hey steve,  I was about to hop on and tell you that duoworld and turboplay mags are up for grabs,  then i clicked and saw your name already there..is it the issue you needed?  that rocks if it's the case..good luck!
"Look to your knives now, and 'ware the foeman."- The Doomfarers of Coramonde, by Brian Daley

esteban

Quote from: "doomfarer75"Hey steve,  I was about to hop on and tell you that duoworld and turboplay mags are up for grabs,  then i clicked and saw your name already there..is it the issue you needed?  that rocks if it's the case..good luck!

yeah, i'm bidding on a bunch of them... unfortunately i can't afford too many when the bids (inevitably) rise... so i'll have to pick some "must haves" and take a gamble they aren't anyone else's "must haves."

:)

doomfarer75

Stevek666,  I am ready to step forward and do my part in helping preserve the legacy of the system we love so much.  Send me your address to my email,  and I will send out 3 or magazines with turbo coverage for the Archives....including the one with the large Turbo Champ insert....very cool. Let it not be said that I stood idly by...let my name ring in the Hall of Heroes!

esteban

Quote from: "doomfarer75"Stevek666,  I am ready to step forward and do my part in helping preserve the legacy of the system we love so much.  Send me your address to my email,  and I will send out 3 or magazines with turbo coverage for the Archives....including the one with the large Turbo Champ insert....very cool. Let it not be said that I stood idly by...let my name ring in the Hall of Heroes!

Absolutely fabulous.  I'll send you PM immediately... BUT BEFORE sending them, tell me which mags you intend to share... just in case I already have them :)

I have been cataloging my magazines, slowly but diligently, and I'll share my findings so far.  I put post-it notes on the magazines and then type up the notes afterwards (I have an incomplete list typed so far... )

nat

Dude, what's up with the magazine archives? Like, all the page scan links are broken. They didn't used to be!

I actually couldn't find a single one that worked. I tried a bunch of the DuoWorld and TurboForce and a select few TurboPlays all to the same end.
Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

2X4

Quote from: doomfarer75 on 03/07/2005, 07:21 AM. . .Now that I read them now,  EGM really didn't appreciate the turbo very much...and lavished the genesis (and their cd) with attention  ugghh!
Ya think?

You know I was watching the History channel the other day and, looking back, I don't think Hitler appreciated the Jews very much . . . weird how obvious these things are in retrospect! :wink:
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

offsidewing

Wow.  Nazi Germany / Turbo Grafx analogies.

I just checked one item off my "Shit I'll never see" list.

esteban

Quote from: offsidewing on 05/10/2007, 02:33 PMWow.  Nazi Germany / Turbo Grafx analogies.

Hhahahahahhahahaaaa. Ditto.

esteban

Quote from: nat on 05/08/2007, 11:41 PMDude, what's up with the magazine archives? Like, all the page scan links are broken. They didn't used to be!

I actually couldn't find a single one that worked. I tried a bunch of the DuoWorld and TurboForce and a select few TurboPlays all to the same end.
I'm actually surprised any of the pages are still up... I moved nearly a year ago and I no longer have an account with that ISP! When Base Nectaris went offline, I got tons of emails from random folks (as opposed to the regulars here) asking what happened, so I eventually moved the site to its current home.

Well.... I haven't done the same for the TG-16 Magazine Arcives because I have been working on a 100% completely overhauled kick-ass update of the Archives. The problem, of course, is that I want to launch the new site when all the new features have been implemented... but it is taking me a long time to get to that point.

I should just launch a crippled version of the new site... but I have this fantasy of a much grander, spectacular debut :).

The good news is that when folks contribute to the effort (i.e. I want to upgrade all of the existing scans, so when folks provide new high-res page scans), I stop sleeping and work feeeeeeeeeverishly on the new site.

Life stinks: It's 8 a.m., and I have a full day of home repairs / yard work to do. I wish it was otherwise!

sideshow

Did you ever get Duo World issue #2 cause I have it and can provide scans if needed?

esteban

Quote from: sideshow on 05/12/2007, 07:25 PMDid you ever get Duo World issue #2 cause I have it and can provide scans if needed?
I have scans, but they are not up to the standard I want (300 dpi, saved in a lossless format like .tif or .bmp).

If the bulk of the issue is in very good physical condition, I would love it if you were willing to provide nice scans. I should warn you: the files will be huge. The good news is that it is a short issue.

Safely clean the glass on your scanner and lovingly scan that issue! :)

2X4

Quote from: offsidewing on 05/10/2007, 02:33 PMWow.  Nazi Germany / Turbo Grafx analogies.

Actually it is more of a Nazi Germany : EGM analogy  :-k  I remember reading the mag as a kid and always being pissed because they always reviewed the genesis games so much higher, despite the fact that so many of them were crap.
The Turbo was Dual Core when Dual Core wasn't cool . . .

sideshow

Quote from: stevek666 on 05/14/2007, 12:25 AM
Quote from: sideshow on 05/12/2007, 07:25 PMDid you ever get Duo World issue #2 cause I have it and can provide scans if needed?
I have scans, but they are not up to the standard I want (300 dpi, saved in a lossless format like .tif or .bmp).

If the bulk of the issue is in very good physical condition, I would love it if you were willing to provide nice scans. I should warn you: the files will be huge. The good news is that it is a short issue.

I will scan the issue this weekend when I have more time.  My issue is in very good condition just like all the other issues.  I cherished each and every issue of Turbo Play, Duo Force, Duo World as a youngster. :wink:

esteban

Quote from: sideshow on 05/15/2007, 10:04 PM
Quote from: stevek666 on 05/14/2007, 12:25 AM

Rock on! Be sure to scan at 300 dpi, clean the plate glass, make sure there is no dust / lint / hair and scan away! Save lossless and I will be delighted. :) Send me an email if you have any questions at all! :)

I will scan the issue this weekend when I have more time.  My issue is in very good condition just like all the other issues.  I cherished each and every issue of Turbo Play, Duo Force, Duo World as a youngster. :wink: