10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Favorite Shooters?

Started by DragonmasterDan, 02/28/2005, 10:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doomfarer75

thanks for that link steve!  I hadn't found that site yet..very nice!  I went right to ebay and Bought Now Dynastic hero and cd denjin new and sealed from dreamstage japan on ebay!...there is still a couplle good copies up for sale though.
"Look to your knives now, and 'ware the foeman."- The Doomfarers of Coramonde, by Brian Daley

http://www.brian-daley.com/default.htm
http://www.charlesatlas.com

Keranu

Steve that review totally makes me want to try out the SCD version now! I always heard people dissing the SCD version and now this review really gives me a reason to try it.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

Necro

Quote from: esteban on 03/20/2005, 06:40 AMDragonmaster Blackwolf rules.  Seriously. 

I just read a review of Air Zonk (CD version) that convinced me I should get the Japanese CD ... I was content with the HuCard, but now I want more... read review here    Up to now, I didn't doubt the folks who were dissing the SCD version... guess I gotta determine this for myself.
Yea, I'll have to check out the CD version when I get either a Duo or a Turbo CD w/ System 3.0 card.  Till then I'll have to wait I guess.

More on the off topic subject of Blackwolf, here is a pretty funny phone interview he did with Something Awful.  :)
IMG IMG
https://www.somethingawful.com/news/interview-with-dragonmaster/

esteban

Quote from: Necro on 03/20/2005, 04:04 PMMore on the off topic subject of Blackwolf, here is a pretty funny phone interview he did with Something Awful.  :)
IMG IMG
hahahha.  I can't believe it, I actually saw the conan o'brian footage!  it was absolutely fabulously wonderfully entertaining and my stomach hurt I was laughing so much. 

I didn't know that it was the very same Blackwolf!  Now I love Blackwolf even more.

ON TOPIC:  Yeah, CD Air Zonk is definitely piquing my interest.  I can't believe how I went from "blahh, whatever" to "oh snap I'm itchin' for that game".  A complete 180.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

OldRover

My list of faves, in rough order (depends on my mood, hehehe)

Lords Of Thunder (Boss Mode is killer! :) )
Gate of Thunder (gonna beat Devil Mode someday...)
Sinistron (wow this game is hard...)
Air Zonk (have yet to beat it in Bitter mode)
Dead Moon (haven't beat Hard mode yet...someday...)
Soldier Blade (I can't beat this one but it's still mad fun)
Sidearms Hyperdyne (this was a pretty good port from the arcade version)
Coryoon Child Of Dragon (Air Zonk engine? :) )

I actually wasn't a big fan of Blazing Lasers, but it was decent at least. I play it from time to time. :D I also didn't much care for Magical Chase or Dragon Spirit.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

esteban

Quote from: OldRoverMy list of faves, in rough order (depends on my mood, hehehe)

Lords Of Thunder (Boss Mode is killer! :) )
Gate of Thunder (gonna beat Devil Mode someday...)
Sinistron (wow this game is hard...)
Air Zonk (have yet to beat it in Bitter mode)
Dead Moon (haven't beat Hard mode yet...someday...)
Soldier Blade (I can't beat this one but it's still mad fun)
Sidearms Hyperdyne (this was a pretty good port from the arcade version)
Coryoon Child Of Dragon (Air Zonk engine? :) )

I actually wasn't a big fan of Blazing Lasers, but it was decent at least. I play it from time to time. :D I also didn't much care for Magical Chase or Dragon Spirit.

yay, a sidearms "fan" ... I dig the game as well.  try the sequel to dragon spirit (Japanese HuCard, Dragon Saber) for righteousness (even if you don't dig dragon spirt).  Sinistron... I continued a bazillion times and couldn't beat the last level.  Surprisingly, it's kind of like Gradius in that you actually CAN get a lot further with a peashooter than you would initially expect, but it takes tons of practice and tons of frustration.  

I'd have to replay both games, but it would be neat to explore the similarities / differences between Coryoon and Air Zonk.  Aesthetically they're both cute as heck, but naxat (i think) made coryoon and .... maybe Red made Air Zonk...

OldRover

Ya, Air Zonk is by Red Kaminarimon/Hudson Soft. But the two games use a surprisingly similar engine, even similar sound effects and music styles.

To beat the last level of Sinistron...wow, it's a doozy. First of all, you can use the Sinistron sacrificial half-level skip I documented on magicenginefx's forum if the first half is too tough for you (and if you think the non-Japanese version is hard...try the Japanese version, it's twice as tough). At the checkpoint in level 6, there's all three weapons available. Pick up either the flame cannon or the CHAOS missles, then pick up the crystal laser so it's full strength. You'll have to get the timing down perfectly for those big annoying ships that shoot shots and missles and move around quickly. Having the ramming jaws open halfway helps, as all the way open doesn't damage much plus is very vulnerable, and completely closed doesn't allow you to get them both (you need to be able to hit both at once or you'll get pegged with missles from behind). Once you have no more enemies, the rest is elementary. :D
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

trapjaw76

I'm a big fan of Sidearms and Air Zonk myself...

esteban

Quote from: OldRoverYa, Air Zonk is by Red Kaminarimon/Hudson Soft. But the two games use a surprisingly similar engine, even similar sound effects and music styles.

To beat the last level of Sinistron...wow, it's a doozy. First of all, you can use the Sinistron sacrificial half-level skip I documented on magicenginefx's forum if the first half is too tough for you (and if you think the non-Japanese version is hard...try the Japanese version, it's twice as tough). At the checkpoint in level 6, there's all three weapons available. Pick up either the flame cannon or the CHAOS missles, then pick up the crystal laser so it's full strength. You'll have to get the timing down perfectly for those big annoying ships that shoot shots and missles and move around quickly. Having the ramming jaws open halfway helps, as all the way open doesn't damage much plus is very vulnerable, and completely closed doesn't allow you to get them both (you need to be able to hit both at once or you'll get pegged with missles from behind). Once you have no more enemies, the rest is elementary. :D

thanks for the scoop.  you know, until your post at magicengine, i didn't know that the U.S. version of Sinistron had been altered (beyond the title screen).  I was surprised that the "skip to the next checkpoint" glitch was (probably) only in the U.S. version.  Now, I've known that many games are "dumbed down" for the U.S. market... but it never occurred to me that Violent Soldier was one of them (because from level 3 onward that game is tough).

I wonder if I'll have the courage to try Violent Soldier, considering that Sinistron kicks my a$$.

About the similarities between coryoon and air zonk: one of us should make a post where we pose the question, either here or at ME... for example, I know that Kaminari at ME will probably be able to tell us if the same composer did both of soundtracks.

OldRover

Yeah, Violent Soldier was dumbed down quite a bit as Sinistron. You can see the differences from the very first level (the sub-bosses in level 1 are the first good example of changes...in Sinistron, they simply circle, but in Violent Soldier, they have a more complex pattern of attack). Level 4 and level 6 are the most obvious changes though...level 4 is very challenging (especially the part where the purple rocks come from all directions! that never happens in Sinistron) and level 6 is just plain impossible through the first half (too bad it can't be skipped...!!). I've beaten both games and I must say that Violent Soldier is much more worth finishing, much more satisfying...if not only for the heightened difficulty but also for the ending itself.

Oh, for anyone in doubt about Lords Of Thunder...yes, the Earth Armor is definately the one to use throughout most of the game! You'd think you should use the Fire Armor in the ice areas and etc. but the Earth Armor is always the strongest. I personally use the Fire Armor for Dezant and then the Earth Armor for just about everything else (although to make it interesting, I do use the Fire Armor for Helado and sometimes, to give myself a challenge, the Water Armor for the volcano and the Air Armor for the water level).

And what about Gate Of Thunder? Man, talk about little strategy once you learn the levels. :D Once you get the third weapon (what is this called? it sounds like the voice says "Heat" or something), it's a cakewalk, especially when you upgrade to "Earthquake". The only time I evet use any other weapon is in the diagonal descent into the water in Crown (switch to the Sonic Boom and fire backwards to get the guys coming from behind you) and in the laser area of Crown Core (switch to Lightning and fire backwards, for the same reason as above).

OK I've blabbered enough, hehehe. :D

Keranu

I totally agree with you when it comes to Lords and Gates of Thunder.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

esteban

OK, I think Sinistron is tough (from the asteroid level onwards)... but Lords is easy and Gate of Thunder is only slightly more challenging...

Does anyone else agree?  I love these games, but I wish the default challenge was tougher.  Raiden, on the other hand, has a nice challenge... and I've yet to beat it after all these years.

farankoshan

Quote from: esteban on 03/01/2005, 05:58 PM...3. Spriggan Ghost Warrior
Can someone link an image of the cover art? I've NEVER heard, read, or seen this game... I'm familiar only with the other 2 Spriggan games. If it's worth it, I would like to keep it on my lookout list. What does it look like? Does it have a japanese name?
"MISSION INCOMPLETE: I cannot fuck up for this."
- Download, PC-Engine (1990)

esteban

Quote from: farankoshan on 04/27/2012, 12:17 AM
Can someone link an image of the cover art? I've NEVER heard, read, or seen this game... I'm familiar only with the other 2 Spriggan games. If it's worth it, I would like to keep it on my lookout list. What does it look like? Does it have a Japanese name ?
I am sorry we (I) got your hopes up: Spriggan (PCE) was often referred to as "Ghost Warrior Spriggan" or "Spirit Soldier Spriggan" here in the North American publications.

There are only two games in the PCE Spriggan series.  IMG

OrangeArmy

Only ever played US HuCard stuff (damn, now I really need to try LoT!). Aero Blasters (2 player mode is too much fun) is probably my favorite but Air Zonk, Blazing Lazers and Fantasy Zone are excellent too.

It took me years to finnish Fantasy Zone becasue of the ridiculously hard last Boss. Only ever beat it once by total fluke but still consider that one of my greatest jump-for-joy gaming moments. Other than the last boss and the crappy ending, I still love everything about this game.

roflmao

There are so many shooties for this console I haven't tried yet, but my library is steadily growing.  The ones that I keep going back to right now are:
Seirei Senshi Spriggan
Star Parodier
Lords of Thunder
Gate of Thunder
Gradius II
Sapphire
Kyukyoku Tiger (I can't get enough of this one right now)
Blazing Lazers
Final Soldier
Soldier Blade
Dragon Spirit
Air Zonk

I recently got in Image Fight, but haven't played it enough to have a personal opinion on it (other than it's TONS better than the NES version - holy cow!)  

Others that I have that are good, but I don't play as often:
Cyber Core
Sidearms Special
Cotton
Aero Blasters
After Burner II
Detana! Twinbee
Galaga '90
Space Harrier
Super Star Soldier
R-Type
Monster Lair

These are ones I keep wishing were a little better:
Psychosis
Daisenpuu Custom

rag-time4

My favorite shooties, in order:

Image Fight
Image Fight 2
Gate of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
SideArms Special
R-type
Super Star Soldier

Currently my buy list includes two shooters: Star Parodia and Nexzr, both of which I havent played.

esteban

NOTE: This thread is celebrating its SEVENTH YEAR of shewtee goodness.

Quote from: rag-time4 on 04/28/2012, 03:53 AMMy favorite shooties, in order:

Image Fight
Image Fight 2

Gate of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
SideArms Special
R-type
Super Star Soldier

Currently my buy list includes two shooters: Star Parodia and Nexzr, both of which I havent played.
I am SHOCKED! :pcgs:

burn_654

Gonna have to put in my vote for Macross 2036!

Great music and cinemas, solid controls, nice variety of weapons (you get to buy one secondary weapon before each stage), good graphics.
If you're at all a fan of Macross/Robotech (and even if not) you need to check out this game. Excellent soundtrack.
Quote from: RegalSinYou know for that r-tard who goes like "oh something retro, let me put down my vabagelina, stop drinking my cheeze wine, and get to playing".

rag-time4

Quote from: esteban on 04/28/2012, 11:38 AMNOTE: This thread is celebrating its SEVENTH YEAR of shewtee goodness.

Quote from: rag-time4 on 04/28/2012, 03:53 AMMy favorite shooties, in order:

Image Fight
Image Fight 2

Gate of Thunder
Lords of Thunder
SideArms Special
R-type
Super Star Soldier

I am SHOCKED! :pcgs:
I know, you might think Id prefer the SCD Image Fight 2 over the HuCard original, but not so. The original has more charm to me, with droves of durable enemies and memorable boss battles. It's also got more to offer in terms of difficulty settings.

Obfuscate

Hmm, I don't own Image Fight 1 or 2 may have to pick um up.

My 4 way tie for favorite shooter:

Soldier Blade
Lords of Thunder
Gate of Thunder
Nexzr

Close behind

Rayxanber 2
Cotton

Arkhan Asylum

Verticals:
Twinbee
Steam Hearts
Soldier Blade
Psychic Storm
Spriggan
Dragon Spirit
Dragon Saber
Cyber Core
Psycho Chaser
Blazing Lazers
and shit

Horizontals:
Download 1 and 2
Spriggan 2
Psychosis
Coryoon
Sinistron
Deadmoon
Saint Dragon

and some shit

Paranoia / Psychosis is a game noone ever talks about, but I think the game is brilliant as fuck.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

soop

My favorites...  I can only really judge the ones I've played rather a lot of.  Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten around to giving some of them the attention they deserve, just because I've got other similar games that gave me a better first impression.  Oh, these are all Japanese too, so when I say good value or whatever I'm not sure what TG versions go for.

Cyber Core - pretty standard shooter with one main quirk, but excellent value.
Super Star Soldier - again good value, and a bundle of fun.
Soldier Blade - Possibly my favorite shooter at the moment
PC Genjin - I need to play more of this actually.

Other shooters I own that I haven't played the shit out of:
Aldynes
Gates of Thunder
Dragon Spirit
Parodius
Detana!! Twinbee
Star Parodier
Final Soldier
Aero Blaster (HARD!!!!)
Deep Blue
Gunhed
Salamander
Gradius
R-Type
Galaga 88

And I guess Afterburner II and Space Harrier.  And Battle Ace.  Do those really count?
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

Lilgrafx

soop

Quote from: Lilgrafx on 04/30/2012, 07:14 PM
Quote from: soop on 04/30/2012, 10:08 AMGunhed
Gasp! Sinner!
Yeah I know...  However, the recent topic with the upgrades FAQ means that I get it a bit more and will be trying it again soon!  I need to start playing shit properly instead of a couple of days at a time.
Quote from: esteban on 04/26/2018, 04:44 PMSHUTTLECOCK OR SHUFFLE OFF!

farankoshan

Quote from: esteban on 04/27/2012, 08:17 AMS
Can someone link an image of the cover art? I've NEVER heard, read, or seen this game... I'm familiar only with the other 2 Spriggan games. If it's worth it, I would like to keep it on my lookout list. What does it look like? Does it have a japanese name?
I am sorry we (I) got your hopes up: Spriggan (PCE) was often referred to as "Ghost Warrior Spriggan" or "Spirit Soldier Spriggan" here in the North American publications.

Just to eliminate any mixups, which one is the alleged Ghost Warrior Spriggan?

Do you mean this (SEIREI SENSHI SPRIGGAN)?
COVER-Spriggan.jpg

Or this (SPRIGGAN MARK 2)?
2157983-box_mk_2.jpg
https://www.giantbomb.com/spriggan-mark-2/3030-17903/

roflmao

The first one.  "Ghost Warrior" and "Spirit Soldier" are very similar translations. :)

gekioh

man this is such a hard one to answer I think. It's really pretty hard to choose cause there are so many, but off the top of my head what comes to mind for some of my favorite shooters are Cyber Core, Soldier Blade, Gate of Thunder, Psychic Storm, Spriggan, Lords of Thunder, and Air Zonk.

farankoshan

Quote from: guest on 05/10/2012, 11:31 PMThe first one.  "Ghost Warrior" and "Spirit Soldier" are very similar translations. :)
Thanks! (adding Seirei Senshi Spriggan to PCE bucket list) :)

roflmao

Quote from: farankoshan on 05/11/2012, 12:04 AMThanks! (adding Seirei Senshi Spriggan to PCE bucket list) :)
You won't be disappointed.  :D

Tatsujin

Quote from: guest on 05/11/2012, 12:18 AM
Quote from: farankoshan on 05/11/2012, 12:04 AMThanks! (adding Seirei Senshi Spriggan to PCE bucket list) :)
NOT IN 10'000 YEARS!!
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

geise

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/11/2012, 12:32 AM
NOT IN 10'000 YEARS!!
NOT IN ALL ETERNITY
fixed :)

munchiaz

Quote from: Tatsujin on 05/11/2012, 12:32 AM
NOT IN 10'000 YEARS!!
game is amazing. prolly my second fav shooter on the PCE

Lilgrafx

TheClash603

Just got Spriggan 1 and 2, can't wait to dive into them this week!

Tatsujin

lol, taking about necro-replies :D
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Quote from: Tatsujin on 09/08/2013, 05:03 AM

lol, taking about necro-replies :D
STATUS: Tats necroposted about an even older necropost. Ha!  :pcgs:

Otaking

Quote from: DragonmasterDan on 02/28/2005, 10:39 PMWhat are everyones favorite shooters for the platform
1 Winds/Lords of Thunder
2 Soldier Blade
3 Hana Taka Daka
4 Spriggan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=86jH2UQmvKY&t=812s
Quote from: some block off youtubeIn one episode, Dodongo c-walks out of a convenience store with a 40 at 7:40 AM, steals an arcade machine from an auction, haggles in Spanish for a stuffed papa smurf to use as a sex toy, and buys Secret of Mana for a dollar.