@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Sylphia

Started by monads, 04/28/2005, 12:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monads

Is it a good shooter?  I don't remember seeing it on anyones 'hit' list and the game can go for $180 and up.  Fine if it's rare, but at least be a good game.

esteban

I have never played it, so everything that follows is hearsay (but hearsay from a reliable source):

A friend of mine had this game and sold it (bastard!).  He told me that it was a SOLID shooter... not super-spectacular, but VERY ENJOYABLE and that he was surprised it wasn't mentioned more often and praised... as say Spriggan is.  

not hearsay:
He wasn't trying to sell me the game :)  He had already sold it at this point.  This was a few years ago, so I don't think that Sylphia commanded such a hefty price tag (I would remember something like that, since TG16 stuff was dirt cheap and even import games were $50-80, max).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

CrackTiger

Quote from: "monads"Is it a good shooter?  I don't remember seeing it on anyones 'hit' list and the game can go for $180 and up.  Fine if it's rare, but at least be a good game.

It's one of my favorite PCE games.

It's got awesome arcadey graphics and Strikers style gameplay.

Still, I wouldn't recommend paying a collector's price for it unless you're a collector.

Its not rare in that its hard to find. I always see it when I think to look.

People just usually charge a lot for it, even though it often sells cheap.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

monads

Thanks for the update gang.  I'll keep my eyes on it to see if I can grab it cheap as I don't want to pay no rare price for it. Then again that's how it kinda is with Castlevania.  Not rare at all but the game commands high prices.

esteban

tip: keep an eye out for mispelled ebay auctions.  I got a bunch of games cheap that way.  Problem with this approach: you spend a lot of time w/o being assured you'll get a payoff.

Keranu

I've been wanting to play this game, along with L-Dis.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

PCEngineHell

I have L-Dis.Infact I like it more then Paradous.Its a wonderful shooter,but hard,and sometimes can be fast paced.Its graphics are bright and colorful,huge sprites,wonderful sound.This is my second copy infact.The first time I bought it was way back in 95,played it for about a year before I got rid of it.I loved it that much that I had to get it again.Expect to pay $20+ U.S. dollars for it,with even $40 being a fair asking amount.

VestCunt

i picked up Syphia yesterday at a small shop for $70.  pretty darn good shooter and the music is a nice change of pace from the heavy metal soundtracks of Gate/Lords of thunder.   really good, but i wouldn't pay huge sums of money for it.  it plays like Soldier Blade with cd sound, better graphics and a sword/socerery theme instead of lasers and space ships.
Topic Adjourned.

pixeljunkie

Quote from: "vestcunt"i picked up Syphia yesterday at a small shop for $70.  pretty darn good shooter and the music is a nice change of pace from the heavy metal soundtracks of Gate/Lords of thunder.   really good, but i wouldn't pay huge sums of money for it.  it plays like Soldier Blade with cd sound, better graphics and a sword/socerery theme instead of lasers and space ships.

I wish we had "small shops" in Dallas :(

Nobody around here carries old stuff, ESPECIALLY imports

VestCunt

yeah, i went into that "small shop" (which will remain namelsss  :wink: )planning to maybe pick something up and spend $50-75 dollars tops.  besides Syphia, i ended up buying Might and Magic lll for $44, and a Kisado converter for $75.  that was about all of the really great stuff this store had out of thier 25-40 turbo/pce games...makes me wish i could go back in time.  when i discovered this place back in 97 they had an incredible selection of turbo games and imports.  i remember getting Dungeon explore 2 for about 60 bucks.  it's funny because some other games they have are over priced, like motoroader for $40.
i guess they reason you can't find more stores with vintage systems is because everyone just sells thier stuff on Ebay now, which is a blessing and a curse in that regard.  it was so nice to walk into a small place with a limited selection to chose from, talk to a real guy, and look at the boxes and hold the games in your hands.  this is probably the reason i went into a trace and dropped $200.  i still can't believe i did that :oops:

does anyone else have any stories or great deals on turbo games they've picked up and want to brag about?
Topic Adjourned.

esteban

dude, I would love to walk into a store and see older stuff (16bit and prior).  Anybody know of good stores in LA / Orange county/ southern California?  The stores I've gone to have never had much TG-16/PCE stuff.  

I go to thrift stores a lot AND I STILL HAVEN'T seen a single TG-16 item.  Did anyone have TG16 in southern california?  One of these days I hope to hit the mother lode (this dude I know found a boxed LaserActive + TG16 module + laserdisc movies for $100 a few years ago... he didn't know what it was.  He later went back and bought it).  Why can't I get lucky like that? Most stuff at thrift stores is nasty and abused... if I ever do find something, it won't be in great shape.

GUTS

Yeah I have the same problem, the best thing I ever found was a boxed Sega CD with Genesis and 32X for like $40.  I gave up going to thrift stores after awhile since all the ebay cocksuckers in town go over every second hand store with a comb.

xolik

I usually only find loose genesis carts, a carpload of contollers and maybe one or two snes systems. Never anything golden.
Not all who launder are washed.

VestCunt

speaking of random places to buy turbo grafx games...
did anyone else discover that you used to be able to order TG16 and Duo games from Radio Shack?  they were doing this as recently as 98-99 when they stopped sometime.  RS stores all used to have a little station in the back with phonebook-sized 3 ring binders where you could order things like usual parts, batteries, RC cars and...video games.  this caught my eye once in 97 and flipping open the book i found that they had a full page of reasonably priced Turbo games and accessories!  you just filled out a little card with the radio shack item # and game description and paid the guy at the counter.  5-7 days later the game showed up in your mail box!  i couldn't believe it.  this was in a small town 3 years after the turbo had disappeared and i couldn't find anyone who even played the system.  i foolishly never ordered Bonk 3, Beyond Shadowgate or Terraforming (they didn't have Magical Chase, which is too bad because even back then with my limited knowledge i knew that game was worth a shitload).  but i did pick up Bomberman 93, Soldier Blade, Shockman, Ys 3, and Dragon Slayer.  all brand new for $25-40 each.  I tried to order Neutopia 2 several times and i think Dynastic Hero once, but they were sold out.
Topic Adjourned.

esteban

Awesome info on Radio Shack.  Other folks have recently been mentioning that RS, prior to DUO, kept TG16 games in stock . Personally, I never saw this, which is  funny because I used to check out the gadgets in RS all the time.

CrackTiger

Quote from: "VestCunt"speaking of random places to buy turbo grafx games...
did anyone else discover that you used to be able to order TG16 and Duo games from Radio Shack?  they were doing this as recently as 98-99 when they stopped sometime.  RS stores all used to have a little station in the back with phonebook-sized 3 ring binders where you could order things like usual parts, batteries, RC cars and...video games.  this caught my eye once in 97 and flipping open the book i found that they had a full page of reasonably priced Turbo games and accessories!  you just filled out a little card with the radio shack item # and game description and paid the guy at the counter.  5-7 days later the game showed up in your mail box!  i couldn't believe it.  this was in a small town 3 years after the turbo had disappeared and i couldn't find anyone who even played the system.  i foolishly never ordered Bonk 3, Beyond Shadowgate or Terraforming (they didn't have Magical Chase, which is too bad because even back then with my limited knowledge i knew that game was worth a shitload).  but i did pick up Bomberman 93, Soldier Blade, Shockman, Ys 3, and Dragon Slayer.  all brand new for $25-40 each.  I tried to order Neutopia 2 several times and i think Dynastic Hero once, but they were sold out.

All the Radio Shacks in my area stocked Turbo stuff. In fact, RS was my main source back in the day.

I also ordered several titles, but almost everything that came out wound up in my city's RS(even though I was the single buyer in the town) or one of the nearby cities.

What drove me crazy though, was that in our cities 'Shellbyville", Turbo was number one.

Anything that I never saw I found there, even the Turbovision(which I snatched up) and it all came out there right away early on.

I still have my Radio Shack brand Turbo Express AC adaptor and universal rechargable battery pack for TE, GB & Lynx. It just needs some repair work done due to a decade and a half of brutal use.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

esteban

Quote from: "CrackTiger"all the Radio Shacks in my area stocked Turbo stuff. In fact, RS was my main source back in the day...
Kool.  So, was that in Canada (if so, which province) or the States (if so, which state).  I'm writing up some stuff for my site and including stuff on Radio Shack!  

Next step... I gotta find some old catalogs or circulars :)

TurboHuC6280

ParanoiaDragon

Quote from: "stevek666"dude, I would love to walk into a store and see older stuff (16bit and prior).  Anybody know of good stores in LA / Orange county/ southern California?  The stores I've gone to have never had much TG-16/PCE stuff.  

I go to thrift stores a lot AND I STILL HAVEN'T seen a single TG-16 item.  Did anyone have TG16 in southern california?  One of these days I hope to hit the mother lode (this dude I know found a boxed LaserActive + TG16 module + laserdisc movies for $100 a few years ago... he didn't know what it was.  He later went back and bought it).  Why can't I get lucky like that? Most stuff at thrift stores is nasty and abused... if I ever do find something, it won't be in great shape.

Game Dude, in North Hollywood every so often has some great stuff, though not as much as they used to.  I remember, when Ys 4 was going for $200, & Sidearms Special was going for around $80 or so, both on ebay, & I walked in there, & bought both in mint condition with spine cards, for $12 each.  Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!  I've bought several PC Engine games over the years there, but, in the last few years, there entire Turbo section has gotten kinda dry, along with the Lynx, Jag, 3DO, Sega CD, SMS, & maybe a couple others I can't recall.  But, occasionally, they get some great stuff in, but I don't live close enough to it, to go in there once in awhile, so, instead, it's once in a GREAT while.  

Anyways, it's on the corner of Laurel Canyon & Sherman Way.  Since I have to head south to get there, I usually get off at Coldwater Canyon, & then hit Sherman way.   If you get off at Laruel Canyon, & turn on Sherman, you'll need to find a place to flip a biznatch......hmm, unless maybe you can turn right, before the light, it's been awhile.
IMG

pixeljunkie

Quote from: "ParanoiaDragon"
Quote from: "stevek666"dude, I would love to walk into a store and see older stuff (16bit and prior).  Anybody know of good stores in LA / Orange county/ southern California?  The stores I've gone to have never had much TG-16/PCE stuff.  

Game Dude, in North Hollywood every so often has some great stuff, though not as much as they used to.  I remember, when Ys 4 was going for $200, & Sidearms Special was going for around $80 or so, both on ebay, & I walked in there, & bought both in mint condition with spine cards, for $12 each.  Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!  I've bought several PC Engine games over the years there, but, in the last few years, there entire Turbo section has gotten kinda dry, along with the Lynx, Jag, 3DO, Sega CD, SMS, & maybe a couple others I can't recall.  But, occasionally, they get some great stuff in, but I don't live close enough to it, to go in there once in awhile, so, instead, it's once in a GREAT while.  

Anyways, it's on the corner of Laurel Canyon & Sherman Way.  Since I have to head south to get there, I usually get off at Coldwater Canyon, & then hit Sherman way.   If you get off at Laruel Canyon, & turn on Sherman, you'll need to find a place to flip a biznatch......hmm, unless maybe you can turn right, before the light, it's been awhile.

that must've been PRE-internet....those were good times...you could find deals and people didn't base value on what "they saw it go for on ebay"...I miss those times.

ParanoiaDragon

No, it wasn't pre-internet, or pre-ebay.  I even once won a game from them on ebay, & then went down to the store to buy it.  It's funny, some guy, who was trying to outbid me, warned me not to bid on there items, saying they never arrive, I simply told him, it doesn't matter, cuz all I have to do is pick it up :D
IMG

Liquid Snake

I don't think it's related to internet or not but just luck.

I once picked up brand new sealed Dead of the brains 1 & 2 for $69 three years ago on eBay.
My happy meal box is empty~~~

Play-Asia

esteban

Quote from: "ParanoiaDragon"

kool, i'll have to check that out next weekend!

ParanoiaDragon

I doubt they'll have any PCE games there, but, you never know.  I ofcoarse always hoped to find mint copies of Sapphire, Dracula X, Fausette Armour, etc, for $12.......never did.  I think they might've had the PCE versions of Last Alert, JB Harold, & maybe a couple of other games, that really aren't worth much.  LMK if you find anything good :D
IMG