Help a brother out...

Started by 8bit4life, 04/29/2005, 10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

8bit4life

Recently I had 3 consoles shipped to me from Japan. One Duo, and two of the white CD consoles (forget the model name). Anyway, they were complete with everything - one even came boxed. I tested each one and they worked fine here in NY with both cds and cards. I shipped them back to MN to be sold and when they were tested there not ONE of them powered up. I swear to got they worked when I had them, the box wasnt damaged in shipping or anything either - it seems wierd to me that not one of them works. I've tried using different power supplies but it has no effect. Any Suggestions???

esteban

OK, stick w/ the AC adapaters that came w/ each system.  It would be VERY odd if all three AC adapters went bad at the same time.  Check them all to see if they are original issue and are the appropriate specs.

Use different outlets in your home.  Just check to see if the CD spins if no TV is available.

Did you take the consoles from a VERY COLD to a very warm place? Condensation might have occurred, perhaps... give it a few hours and try again.

Does absolutely nothing happen when you try to turn them on?  Or does the CD spin but you get no picture?  Details please :)

As for the consoles + AC: some folks at this board have had problems with their Japanese DUO when they didn't step down the voltage (i.e. CD drive not reading).  Now, many folks don't do this and haven't had any problems (and the 10 volt difference won't fry your hardware, supposedly), but scaredy cats like myself step-down the voltage (Radio Shack is your friend).

You're right, it would be very odd for all 3 consoles to die at the same time, even if they were manhandled during shipping...
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

8bit4life

Yeah, they werent banged up or anything. And to clerify, I powered them up fine when I first got them here in NY. I sent them to Minnesota, and they didnt work at one house, so we tried them at another house. Still nothing. You hook everything up correctly, and you get no power. So obviously its not a disc reading problem - its more related to the power supply. But I have them back in NY now, and i've tested them in the same outlets they've worked in before. i have no clue. they've had time to dry out if it was condensation too, i originally got them last november. I find it hard to beleive that they made the trip from Japan to the US just fine, but when i try to ship them domestically they crap out. Any other suggestions? Anyone here gut these things and repair them?

xolik

I'm wondering if it's a step-down issue like mentioned above. Did they get powered on initially with a step-down converter? If not, maybe they were able to work for the brief time you had them powered on, but fried out immediatly afterwards. I hope that's not the case.  :(
Not all who launder are washed.

8bit4life

I dunno, still seems weird to me. I had other japanese consoles in the shipment too (NEO GEO, Famicom, etc...) - and they all worked fine at my apartment. I think I would have noticed a discrepancy if it were stepdown related. I have no idea what it could have been. On the initial tests of the systems, I used both cards and cds and they all seemed to work fine. Someone has to have a solution!! I'll hook anyone up with some japa-games if they can help me get these things to work!

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: "8bit4life"I dunno, still seems weird to me. I had other japanese consoles in the shipment too (NEO GEO, Famicom, etc...) - and they all worked fine at my apartment. I think I would have noticed a discrepancy if it were stepdown related. I have no idea what it could have been. On the initial tests of the systems, I used both cards and cds and they all seemed to work fine. Someone has to have a solution!! I'll hook anyone up with some japa-games if they can help me get these things to work!

I quite honestly think it's a problem with the adapter or maybe an issue with the board. I own a number of Japanese consoles and none of them have required a step-down converter since the difference here is only 10 Volts. Which system wasn't working? The Duo or the add on CDs?
--DragonmasterDan

TurboHuC6280

All of these units have voltage regulators that ensure that the Duo/Engine gets the proper DC voltage.  It shouldn't be a problem to use a Japanese adapter in an American AC outlet, but it all depends on the situation.  There may be something wrong with the outlets that they are plugging into.  I don't recall offhand, but Turbo and Duo units require something between 10-12 VDC (I think).  The label on the console (or next to the plug) should say.

You can take a multimeter to the plug (the side that normally plugs into the console), and verify that there is a DC voltage that is somewhere close to the required value.  It may be off by a bit, if there is no significant load on the adapter while you are testing it (sometimes they are a bit higher than rated as well).  Just try putting each of the meter's probes on each of the two contact areas of the power supply.

8bit4life

None of the three systems worked after they were shipped the second time, and it was because they werent getting any juice. I suppose the power adapter could have crapped out - but all 3 of them? I stick with my aliens theory. Is another adapter something thats difficult to come by? I really dont have the time or resources to do science experiments on it - but i appreciate the suggestion! Seriously though, where can i pick one up?

TurboHuC6280

Quote from: "8bit4life"None of the three systems worked after they were shipped the second time, and it was because they werent getting any juice. I suppose the power adapter could have crapped out - but all 3 of them? I stick with my aliens theory. Is another adapter something thats difficult to come by? I really dont have the time or resources to do science experiments on it - but i appreciate the suggestion! Seriously though, where can i pick one up?

Any adapter that can supply the proper DC voltage, and can handle the rated maximum current load (rated in amps) will work fine, though there are many people that *swear by* original manufacturer's power adapters, but I don't think it really matters (the hardware doesn't discriminate against anything that can supply the correct voltage).  You specifically have to make sure that the polarity is correct on each of the two pins.

Check to see if any of your other game consoles have a power supply with th same rated DC output (and that the polarity +/- is the same on each supplies tip/sleeve).

If they don't work after all though, and you want to get rid of any of them at a reasonable price, I'd be willing to buy one.  :)

Eventually, I'm probably going to offer a repair service for the NEC consoles, but I don't have any experience with the Duo units (because I've never owned one yet).

8bit4life

All right guys - You've been a lot of help. I'm gonna give it try tonight with another adapter, that is if I have anything on hand (i think i only have an nes, snes, and some misc junk)...

I'll report after further testing...

unless the aliens make my computer stop working too.

DragonmasterDan

Quote from: "8bit4life"All right guys - You've been a lot of help. I'm gonna give it try tonight with another adapter, that is if I have anything on hand (i think i only have an nes, snes, and some misc junk)...

TurboZoneDirect  has a listing for a replacement for US Duo adapters, I can't imagine the Japanese PC Engine Duo adapters are any different. If its a power supply related problem this would solve it. In a blatent cut and paste off their site
QuoteGo to Radio Shack and ask for part #273-1772, then ask for a "Q" tip (don't let them charge you another $4.99, a tip is included. It better be for $20.00.)

The tip must be center positive when you plug it into the adapter. Don't worry this will all be clear once you see the part. It's 9V, 1300mA but no one makes a 10V, 1000mA, it was proprietary to NEC. Your Duo will only draw as much amperage as it needs, so that number is OK. 9V has tested well enough, but TZD assumes no liability
--DragonmasterDan

esteban

Quote from: "8bit4life"None of the three systems worked after they were shipped the second time, and it was because they werent getting any juice. I suppose the power adapter could have crapped out - but all 3 of them? I stick with my aliens theory. Is another adapter something thats difficult to come by? I really dont have the time or resources to do science experiments on it - but i appreciate the suggestion! Seriously though, where can i pick one up?
Hey, zborged is right, pick up a cheap multimeter at radio shack.  Don't worry if you've never used one... it's so easy.  You'll find yourself using one quite often if you play around with home electronics (or if you just want to test the charge on your batteries). This is, quite simply, the best diagnostic tool to see if your AC adapters are / aren't working:

Quote from: "zborged"You can take a multimeter to the plug (the side that normally plugs into the console), and verify that there is a DC voltage that is somewhere close to the required value. It may be off by a bit, if there is no significant load on the adapter while you are testing it (sometimes they are a bit higher than rated as well). Just try putting each of the meter's probes on each of the two contact areas of the power supply.

i have an old skool one with a needle, which i like, but they have "new" ones with LCD displays.  See if someone you know has one (you'd be surprised) if you really don't want to buy one.  I'm sure there are good, reliable, inexpensive models that would fit your price range.  zborged could probably recommend one of the newer models.  

Still, and I'm surprised the other folks haven't commented on this, it is very odd for ALL THREE AC adapters to go at once.  That wouldn't be normal wear and tear.  I quite honestly can't think of a situation that would cause this (except for sabotage by aliens / enemies). :)
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

TurboHuC6280

Quote from: "DragonmasterDan"
Quote from: "8bit4life"All right guys - You've been a lot of help. I'm gonna give it try tonight with another adapter, that is if I have anything on hand (i think i only have an nes, snes, and some misc junk)...

TurboZoneDirect  has a listing for a replacement for US Duo adapters, I can't imagine the Japanese PC Engine Duo adapters are any different. If its a power supply related problem this would solve it. In a blatent cut and paste off their site
QuoteGo to Radio Shack and ask for part #273-1772, then ask for a "Q" tip (don't let them charge you another $4.99, a tip is included. It better be for $20.00.)

The tip must be center positive when you plug it into the adapter. Don't worry this will all be clear once you see the part. It's 9V, 1300mA but no one makes a 10V, 1000mA, it was proprietary to NEC. Your Duo will only draw as much amperage as it needs, so that number is OK. 9V has tested well enough, but TZD assumes no liability

There is not reason that the 9V DC supply shouldn't work.  In fact, it's very likely that there are just voltage regulators inside that are going to step it down to standard CMOS logic levels anyway (5V DC).

I think of it like this...  I run my express a bit "weak" all the time.  I use six 1.2V DC NiMH (nickel metal hydride) batteries.  An "optimal" AA battery is about 1.5V DC.  That's 9 volts DC.  The rechargable batteries that I use provide about 7.2V DC, but last longer than standard alkaline cells, and remain at a pretty level voltage until they run out of juive.  As you play the Express with alkalines, they grow weaker, and the voltage will drop gradually over time.

What it boils down to: most devices can handle a bit of variance.  I have never seen the insides of a Duo, but almost all electronics use voltage regulators, and can also handle a bit of variance from the supply.

PCEngineHell

If youd like to sell the 2 white discman cd-drives to the pc engines,please let me know,and how much is the asking price.I might be willing to take a chance on them.
Email at amakusashiro666@yahoo.com.
I can make payment by paypal for them.