Bizarre Duo issues

Started by papa_november, 02/12/2009, 11:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

papa_november

I have here a PC Engine Duo that plays every CD game I've thrown at it EXCEPT the 4-in-1 pack-in CD. The game will load at first, but the drive gets stuck in an endless grinding loop when it tries to play the audio track for the select menu.

I've tried burning two copies of it(that work on my TG-CD) and still no dice. All other CD-Rs work perfectly, and the machine was recently fixed up with a brand-new CD lens. It has leaky audio capacitors that I plan to replace (left audio channel is screwed up), but that shouldn't affect gameplay like this.

Any idea what might be happening here?

Sinistron

maybe you shouldn't throw your games at your duo- instead gently insert them.
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

papa_november

Turns out I can get the game to work if I burn it on an old-school blue-bottomed CD-R. When I replaced the laser, I made sure to adjust the potentiometer so that it roughly matched the setting on the old laser (around 750-780 ohms). I'm guessing it might need a bit more adjustment.

ogre

It actually may be a problem with the Duo itself as I had the same problem on my PCE Duo with a REAL copy of the 4 in 1. Almost a year before my duo
finally died I had that same problem with Arcade card games as well. I think the problem stems from caps located near the lower right hand corner of the board. Those caps in my duo were leaking severely and after I changed some of them the loading problem all but stopped.

agt_dale_cooper

Curious...investigated this area thoroughly while attempting to trace the audio circuit for my "Plays CDs but not the audio on them" PCE Duo...[watching thread intently, as I'm back to trying to fix this POS..]