OMG! ZIRIA! ZIRIA!! ZIRIA!!! IT ACTUALLY HAPPENED!! 34 YEARS LATER!! The epic/legendary Tengai Makyou/Far East of Eden: Ziria JRPG has finally been localized! Supper the Subtitler struck again! Simply unstoppable, NOTHING can prevent him from TOTAL PCECD localization domination!!!! WHACHA GONNA DO BROTHER?!?!
Main Menu

PCE, SNES and Genesis Screen Comparison.

Started by awack, 03/25/2009, 10:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

awack

Ceti Alpha

DDII on the PCE is definitely up on the Genesis, but what is up with the player's character sprite? Doesn't have the DD look. I forget what DDII actually looked like in the arcade, so I don't know if this is what it's supposed to look like.  :-k
IMG
"Let the CAW and Mystery of a Journey Unlike Any Other Begin"

awack

Quotebut what is up with the player's character sprite? Doesn't have the DD look. I forget what DDII actually looked like in the arcade, so I don't know if this is what it's supposed to look like.
I'm not the biggest Double Dragon fan in the world but from my understanding the pce version is a port of the nes DD II game and the genesis is closer to the arcade.

QuoteBtw, those SegaCD shots are 12% darker than they should be (whatever version of fusion, it's output 224/224/224 as the max white color). Photoshop->posterize ( parameter of 8 ) fixes that.
I had these in photobucket so i just used the edit option to brighten the shots up...i don't know if they are to bright or not though.

Rest of the Final Fight pics.

GenesisSNES
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

_Paul

Quote from: awack on 04/28/2009, 07:13 AMDouble Dragon II
IMG IMG
That looks more like a Master System game than a Mega Drive one. Not really the MD at its best there.

Arkhan Asylum

Yeah that Genesis one is very .... not detailed.

still good stuff though.

HEY! PCE never got a battle toads....

](*,)
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Joe Redifer

The Genesis/MD Double Dragon 2 is one of the worst games EVAR!  Well, that may be exaggerating, but Palsoft did an extremely poor job on it.  It does indeed look like an SMS game.  A bad one.

rag-time4

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/28/2009, 08:14 PMThe Genesis/MD Double Dragon 2 is one of the worst games EVAR!  Well, that may be exaggerating, but Palsoft did an extremely poor job on it.  It does indeed look like an SMS game.  A bad one.
If anyone is taking requests i would love to see Arcade vs Genesis Double Dragon II

CrackTiger

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/28/2009, 08:14 PMIt does indeed look like an SMS game.  A bad one.
I wouldn't go that far, but it is SMS quality. :P

IMG IMG

Suspiciously, it has the exact same non-bordered space. :-k

Quote from: rag-time4 on 04/28/2009, 09:08 PMIf anyone is taking requests i would love to see Arcade vs Genesis Double Dragon II
Here are a few arcade shots from vgmuseum matched up with awack's MD pics-

MEGA DRIVEARCADE
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

The crazy thing is, not only could both the Genesis and PC Engine do perfect Double Dragon I & II arcade ports, they could make them superior, like the Genesis Double Dragon 1 is-

IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Pics stolen from both vgmuseum and sega-16.

Double Dragon 1 for Genesis has nice vibrant and colorful shaded graphics, the kind that Genesis games don't get enough credit for.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

rag-time4

Quote from: guest on 04/28/2009, 09:57 PMDouble Dragon 1 for Genesis has nice vibrant and colorful shaded graphics, the kind that Genesis games don't get enough credit for.
Black Tiger, you're spoiling me with all this Double Dragon goodness!!

There were a couple details that I really hated about the Genesis Double Dragon I. I just played through it real quick on an emulator. First, the stage 2 boss character has the same head as Billy and Jimmy Lee. In the arcade, whenever that enemy showed up he had his own head, which was always the same but was different from the Lee brothers. In stage 3, during the invasion of the enemy base, these enemies were black in the arcade, with colorful hair, while in the Genesis they are white and they look like the Lee brothers. The color of the Abobos is not always right in the Genesis version, In the arcade some were black and some were white, and the ones that were stage bosses of 1 and 3 had a different head than the others.

Also, the Ropers in the arcade were various colors, but they were always black in the Genesis version. The enemies of the last stage in the arcade wore blue and gold, but they wore standard colors in the Genesis version.

Perhaps the biggest disappointment though was that the green Abobo, the evil green chef, didn't have his trademark white pants in the Genesis version, and his head looked like all the other Abobos. I bought this game when I had a Genesis and i was really disappointed. It seemed like they really cheaped out to me.

TR0N

Quote from: awack on 04/28/2009, 07:13 AMDouble Dragon II
PC EngineGenesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
Damn bimmy and jimmy didn't fair to well on the genesis  :roll: Looks like i rather go with the pce version.
IMG
PSN:MrNeoGeo
Wii U:Progearspec

Arkhan Asylum

Well, it is still better than Riot Zone

;)

What I don't understand is how the Genesis one could get away with looking so crapass.  Kind of like how the Sega Battletoads was like no better than the NES one... -_-
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Joe Redifer

Quote from: guestDouble Dragon 1 for Genesis has nice vibrant and colorful shaded graphics, the kind that Genesis games don't get enough credit for.
Maybe so, but I recall the sound being horrible, almost Accolade bad on the Genesis Double Dragon.

rag-time4

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/29/2009, 02:51 AM
Quote from: guestDouble Dragon 1 for Genesis has nice vibrant and colorful shaded graphics, the kind that Genesis games don't get enough credit for.
Maybe so, but I recall the sound being horrible, almost Accolade bad on the Genesis Double Dragon.
Yes the sound is incredibly lame. The music was ok, but the sound FX were extremely disappointing. The only time enemies make sounds while falling is when they croak. In the arcade every time they fell there was a nice sound effect.

The kicker is the Abobo's wild groan he does in the arcade when he throws you.... like BLEEEEEEHHHHH .... it's totally missing from the Genesis version. It's one of the highlights of the arcade version for sure.

Arkhan Asylum

Yknow though, it COULD be worse
It could be the Commodore 64 double dragon

with... no music except for end of level.....

and.... yeah.....

:-D

Yknow, the Master System Double Dragon is pretty awesome.  Even if it isn't as shiney as the Genny

CrackTiger

QuoteI bought this game when I had a Genesis and i was really disappointed. It seemed like they really cheaped out to me.
I can understand being disappointed little details being changed from a classic game and as much as I love good dithering, I'd always rather have a better shaded game that uses fewer general colors (like reds or blues, not individual colors) than one that looks weird or patchy just to mimic the coloring of a base game overall.

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/29/2009, 02:51 AM
Quote from: CrackTigerDouble Dragon 1 for Genesis has nice vibrant and colorful shaded graphics, the kind that Genesis games don't get enough credit for.
Yeah, I was so psyched to hear Double Dragon in Genesis sound the first time I played it and wound up so disappointed, especially since the graphics were so well done.
Justin the Not-So-Cheery Black/Hack/CrackTiger helped Joshua Jackass, Andrew/Arkhan Dildovich and the DildoPhiles destroy 2 PC Engine groups: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook, then the other by Aaron Nanto!!! Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together! Both times he blamed the Aarons and their staff in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged/destructive/doxxing toxic turbo troll gang which he covers up for under the "community" euphemism!

NecroPhile

Here's a real demonstration of the raw graphical power of the Genesis and PCE - the visual tour de force known as Columns:

Genesis                                                      PC Engine
/columns.png

Tee Hee.... 'how to play with the jewels'
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 04/29/2009, 10:04 AMTee Hee.... 'how to play with the jewels'
:lol:  #-o

It's hard to declare a clear winner here. The PCE is brighter and the resolution looks to be different on each of the ports. I'm going with PCE because I'm just wack like that.
IMG

Tatsujin

even it's almost a pixel perfect port on the pce, the MD looks slighly better. but i would go with the PCE version at anytime for the better BGM :mrgreen:
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

NecroPhile

Indeed; other than the resolution change and minor color differences, they're like two peas in a pod.  The biggest differences are the detail and extra colors (8 vs. 3) in the PCE version's menu backgrounds and the more varied coloring of the spilled jewels on the Genny high score screen.

Ceti Alpha

The Genny menus are actually easier to read because the colours aren't as bright.
IMG

guyjin

Why haven't I picked this game up yet?! columns is sweet. The Genny version is awesome, except for the ear-bleed-inducing music: the PCE version must be better.

Joe Redifer

The Genesis Columns has super-high resolution that slices my eyes into ribbons like razors.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/29/2009, 03:24 PMThe Genesis Columns has super-high resolution that slices my eyes into ribbons like razors. 
what about the gamegear one!

so awesome.  I drained tons of batteries playing that

awack

Out Run, i stuck to the right when ever the road would split .
PC EngineGenesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

After Burner II
PC EngineGenesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

guyjin

Quote from: guest on 04/29/2009, 08:18 PMwhat about the gamegear one!

so awesome.  I drained tons of batteries playing that
Me Too! :) I prefer the GG music to the Genny's. By a lot.

nat

Afterburner looks better on the Duo for the most part, except for the canyon "walls." Those have always bugged the shit out of me with their awful, square black borders.

Ceti Alpha

For some reason I was under the impression that Outrun on the Genny was much better graphically, but not so much anymore. Though, I do think the car looks better on the Genny. Other than that, it's a toss up. The sky definitely looks better on the PCE in the first couple of screens, but there's definitely more people and media hanging around in the Genny version to check out your fancy action.
IMG

Tatsujin

Quote from: ceti alpha on 04/29/2009, 10:04 PMFor some reason I was under the impression that Outrun on the Genny was much better graphically, 
wrong.

the pce outrun has much more faithful graphics, but in the other hand it's missing some things the genny has. e.g. the truck, the beach with the surfer in level 1. also the splitting street looks awfull in the pce port.

an same as for after burner, the pce out run runs smoother.
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

TurboXray

How about a comparison of Bonk 1 to BC Kid?

ParanoiaDragon

I recently went thru the whole game of BC Kid via Youtube, & while in some respects(mainly the sky) it looks better, I recall some things being puzzling, mainly the fact that they used King Drool from Bonk 2(which is smaller),  & there's no crown on his head, but then when you beat the game, a crown appears floating around off of Drool's head, very strange.
IMG

TurboXray

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 04/30/2009, 01:17 AMI recently went thru the whole game of BC Kid via Youtube, & while in some respects(mainly the sky) it looks better, I recall some things being puzzling, mainly the fact that they used King Drool from Bonk 2(which is smaller),  & there's no crown on his head, but then when you beat the game, a crown appears floating around off of Drool's head, very strange.
I think some of the tiles have less colors too. I noticed this from a couple of screen shots.

awack

QuoteHow about a comparison of Bonk 1 to BC Kid?
Ill see if i can find an Amiga emulator and bc kid rom. is there anything else you would like to see, maybe snes/genesis comparison?

Valis III
PC EngineGenesis
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Godzilla
                                                 pce
IMG IMG IMG IMG
IMG IMG IMG IMG
IMG IMG IMG IMG
IMG IMG

snes
IMG IMG IMG IMG IMG IMG
IMG

pce                                        snes
IMG IMG
IMG IMG
IMG IMG

Ceti Alpha

Valis III on the PCE/TG is valistly...groooaannn...better than the MD/Genny port.
IMG

NecroPhile

Hard to pick a winner in the Godzilla comparison based on visuals alone, as they both look pretty dang good.  If I'm not mistaken, the SNES version lacks quite a few of the monsters in the PCE version, so it fails on variety (though the 'wrath' attacks are pretty cool).

awack

Yea, lots of  monsters you can unlock depending on your score, i unlocked all of them and are in the shots above, i didn't include shots from every level though.

A cool feature in the duo version is that depending on the time period a fight took place there will be a matching Godzilla sprite. The shots below show the different sprites.
IMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG
IMGIMG

NecroPhile

Quote from: awack on 04/30/2009, 12:00 PMYea, lots of  monsters you can unlock depending on your score, i unlocked all of them and are in the shots above, i didn't include shots from every level though.

A cool feature in the duo version is that depending on the time period a fight took place there will be a matching Godzilla sprite. The shots below show the different sprites.
I take it you played the PCE version, eh?  I don't think the sprite changes in the US version and you'd have to kick some serious ass to get your score high enough to unlock everyone.

awack

I played the US version, i have learned a way to get a high score, i just grab and bite but you have to practice and i still cant always unlock all of them..so i used save states when i was taking these shots.

Oh, i forgot, if you right click the Godzilla sprites and then click properties, it will tell you the year that sprite represents, they range from 1955 to 1992.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: ceti alpha on 04/30/2009, 11:11 AMValis III on the PCE/TG is valistly...groooaannn...better than the MD/Genny port.
I couldn't disagree more.  The PCE is a little sharper with some extra details here and there, but vastly?  I know the Genesis version plays much better than the PCE version.

NecroPhile

Quote from: awack on 04/30/2009, 12:27 PMI played the US version, i have learned a way to get a high score, i just grab and bite but you have to practice and i still cant always unlock all of them..so i used save states when i was taking these shots.
I'll have to try that; thanks for the tip.  I can usually beat about two thirds of the monsters within twenty seconds without taking any damage and can defeat the rest almost as quickly and with more than half of my energy remaining, yet I've never had a score high enough to unlock the last two monsters.  :cry:

CrackTiger

Those Valis III shots don't show many of the strengths of the Genesis version, parallax aside. I know that the boss at the top of that tower looks cool on Genesis and lame on Turbo-CD. The Genesis version also has much better voice acting.

awack

The first boss is as far as i can get in valis III for the pce before it locks up, i took the earlier shots on another comp...if some one else has a shot of the second boss below for the pc engine maybe they can add it.

GenesisPC Engine
IMG IMG
IMG

CrackTiger

Isn't that first boss missing the chain of his ball & chain weapon in the Turbo/PCE version?

The PCE boss at the top of the tower is a simple guy in a cloak with glowing eyes.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/30/2009, 03:29 PM
Quote from: ceti alpha on 04/30/2009, 11:11 AMValis III on the PCE/TG is valistly...groooaannn...better than the MD/Genny port.
I couldn't disagree more.  The PCE is a little sharper with some extra details here and there, but vastly?  I know the Genesis version plays much better than the PCE version.
*ahem*

Thats, VALISTLY better.

:)

In any event, I own the Genesis and PCE ones.  I like them both, and neither is truly "better" graphically.  Both have better and worse parts...

The PCE one is better to me overall because it controls better, and the music and panty shots are better  :mrgreen:.

if it was on Sega CD, that one might have ended up out doing the PCE CD one.

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: guest on 05/01/2009, 03:26 AM
Quote from: Joe Redifer on 04/30/2009, 03:29 PM
*ahem*

Thats, VALISTLY better.

:)

In any event, I own the Genesis and PCE ones.  I like them both, and neither is truly "better" graphically.  Both have better and worse parts...

The PCE one is better to me overall because it controls better, and the music and panty shots are better  :mrgreen:.

if it was on Sega CD, that one might have ended up out doing the PCE CD one.
I must confess that I blatantly exploited an opportunity for a cheesy pun at the expense of the Genny.  :-"
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Cheesy doesn't begin to describe it's punniness, or its awesomeness.

termis

Quote from: guest on 04/30/2009, 05:14 PMThe Genesis version also has much better voice acting.
The "thup-thup-thup-thup" voices of Glames.  :D  I did think that was kinda cool.

edit: crap, I juts realized that the US version of Valis III doesn't quite do this well, since it makes that noise every time an alphabet character is displayed on screen.  For the MD version, the Japanese characters come out on screen at a much slower pace, so the thumping noises of each character actually makes it feel like he has a heavier voice.  On top of that, the US one just doesn't look right as it also has the mouth on sync with each alphabet, which is way too fast.

Hmm... I can find the US version intro, but not the JP version.  Uhwell...

awack

QuoteIsn't that first boss missing the chain of his ball & chain weapon in the Turbo/PCE version?
I actually don't know, ill definitely look for that next time i play the game.

Joe Redifer

Quote from: ceti alphaI must confess that I blatantly exploited an opportunity for a cheesy pun at the expense of the Genny.  :-"
I missed that!  I just thought you failed hard at spelling.  :)

Ceti Alpha

Quote from: Joe Redifer on 05/01/2009, 12:05 PM
Quote from: ceti alphaI must confess that I blatantly exploited an opportunity for a cheesy pun at the expense of the Genny.  :-"
I missed that!  I just thought you failed hard at spelling.  :)
:lol: Well, it's been known to happen.
IMG