10/31/2023: Localization News - Dead of the Brain 1!

No, NOT a trick, a Halloween treat! Presenting the Dead of the Brain 1 English patch by David Shadoff for the DEAD last official PC Engine CD game published by NEC before exiting the console biz in 1999! I helped edit/betatest and it's also a game I actually finished in 2023, yaaay! Shubibiman also did a French localization. github.com/dshadoff/DeadoftheBrain
twitter.com/NightWolve/PCENews
Main Menu

Stupid question regarding AC adapter

Started by pixeljunkie, 05/11/2005, 10:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixeljunkie

I just got a PCE Duo-R. Works perfectly. However, the AC adapter gets pretty damn warm as does the back left [around where the power plug goes into the Duo] of the console....is this normal?

PCEngineFX

Hi pixeljunkie,

I have a DUO-R, however I have not played an extended session with it.  How much gameplay time does it take for your console to get really warm?
// Aaron Nanto | The Ultimate Resource for NEC Console Information!
Papa PCEFX 1997-2020 [Retired]
IMG
IMG

pixeljunkie

Quote from: "Pcenginefx"Hi pixeljunkie,

I have a DUO-R, however I have not played an extended session with it.  How much gameplay time does it take for your console to get really warm?

I notice it after 15-20 minutes.

Its not CRAZY hot, just enough that I noticed it and thought I should ask someone

TurboHuC6280

It should be okay.  If you're using a Japanese power supply, you're probably putting a higher voltage across it if you are in North America.  If you are in Europe, it's likely that you are using a third-party AC adapter.  Voltage regulators, within the supply and the console, will get warm.  This is normal.  They will probably get warmer than usual if you are using a Japanese supply in North America.  The North American voltage is a bit higher (but not by much).  Regardless, the DC voltage (at the console's plug) is going to be the same no matter what.

pixeljunkie

Quote from: "zborgerd"It should be okay.  If you're using a Japanese power supply, you're probably putting a higher voltage across it if you are in North America.  If you are in Europe, it's likely that you are using a third-party AC adapter.  Voltage regulators, within the supply and the console, will get warm.  This is normal.  They will probably get warmer than usual if you are using a Japanese supply in North America.  The North American voltage is a bit higher (but not by much).  Regardless, the DC voltage (at the console's plug) is going to be the same no matter what.

I am using a Jpn adapter in the U.S., that has to be it. Do I need to get some sort of converter, or will it be okay?

TurboHuC6280

Quote from: "pixeljunkie"
Quote from: "zborgerd"It should be okay.  If you're using a Japanese power supply, you're probably putting a higher voltage across it if you are in North America.  If you are in Europe, it's likely that you are using a third-party AC adapter.  Voltage regulators, within the supply and the console, will get warm.  This is normal.  They will probably get warmer than usual if you are using a Japanese supply in North America.  The North American voltage is a bit higher (but not by much).  Regardless, the DC voltage (at the console's plug) is going to be the same no matter what.

I am using a Jpn adapter in the U.S., that has to be it. Do I need to get some sort of converter, or will it be okay?

I really don't think it will be a problem.  If you're worried about it, just buy a generic North American AC adaptor.  You need to make sure that the DC output voltage is exactly the same (or very close) to the DC output voltage of the original.  Also, make sure that the polarity is the same on the plugs.  Normally, they are positive in the center, but I think that it is backwards on the Turbo CD system and the positive is on the outside.  Make sure that it meets the minimum current load requirements as well (in amperes or miliamps).  It doesn't have to be the same, as long as it is equal to or higher than the original.

If you could post the info that is printed on the AC adaptor, I could probably give you a better idea.  It should say a number in DC volts, AC volts, amps (or miliamps), and normally shows a small picture that indicates which pin is positive and which is negative, e.g;

+ ----C-----  _

Something like that.  :)

dj898

you need 9VDC @ 1000mA for PC Engine Duo/Duo-R/Duo-RX

TurboHuC6280

Quote from: "dj898"you need 9VDC @ 1000mA for PC Engine Duo/Duo-R/Duo-RX

Thanks for the info.  I knew that they were a bit different from the regular CDROM systems.  I wasn't sure about the Duo units.

TZD claims that 10V DC was "proprietary" to NEC, but I don't believe that this is true.  They just aren't common.  I've seen them before, and there are some that are pretty common between 9-10 VDC.  9.6V might be a good choice, since it is quite popular.  It doesn't matter too much, as long as it's close.

http://www.tzd.com/information.cgi?id=511

FYI:  For those that don't know, 1000 mA is the same as 1 Amp.  Some AC adapters list them in either form of engineering notation.  You could use something with a higher current rating as well (e.g. 1500 mA  or 1.5 A).  IT will only draw the current that is required by the system.

Duo_R

I used a Sega Genesis CD 2 adapter, and made a little adapter to switch polarity (the Sega CD adapter has the center pin -, and in contrast the Duo has the center pin as +). The ratings on it I believe is 9V, 1.2A which is perfect with the exception of the reversed polarity. It works like a charm, I junked the adapter that came with the Duo-R.
Add my YouTube channel: https://youtu.be/sOg93QUtlg0
For sale trade list: https://tinyurl.com/2csm7kq