Dungeon Explorer 2 and Exile

Started by pixeljunkie, 05/16/2005, 11:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pixeljunkie

This was my plate this weekend. I finished up Dungeon Explorer 2 which was the highlight of my weekend. I can't say how much I've always wanted to play this game. I wanted it the day it came out but didn't have the money at the time then new stuff started to come out and I got into newer consoles and it fell by the wayside. Shoot forward to now where I recently snagged a copy. I gotta say, this game was awesome. Tons of replay value too, I almost wanted to hit reset and start over again with one of the numerous characters you unlock along the way. The ending was awesome, and I loved how Natas wasn't the final boss. GREAT GAME!!!

I also picked up Exile [I never got rid of my copy of Exile 2] since I traded my copy YEARS ago. I'm about an hour or two into it, forgot how great THAT game was. I've been so burned out on all the next-gen stuff that getting back into my turbo stuff is SO refreshing.

Currently on the list of games to finish:

Exile [play through entirely]
Cosmic Fantasy 2 [play some, but random battles frustrate me too much to finish it]
Spriggan [Act 5 is trying my patience]
Magical Adventure Fray [very fun so far!]

whats on everyone else's "plate"?

xolik

I just got Bonk 3, but haven't a chance to play it yet. So that's top on the list.
You've got me now itching to replay DE2 as well!  :D
I've got Wizardry 5 coming in the mail soon, so that's high up there as well.
Not all who launder are washed.

pixeljunkie

Quote from: "xolik"I just got Bonk 3, but haven't a chance to play it yet. So that's top on the list.
You've got me now itching to replay DE2 as well!  :D
I've got Wizardry 5 coming in the mail soon, so that's high up there as well.

I wish I could play Wizardry 5, but the Japanese would make it painful if playable at all for me.

xolik

See, that's the thing I'm most curious about. From the screenshots I saw on the back of the CD case, it's in English. At least, the names and menu options were in English. I'll let you know when it arrives. That's the whole reason why I bought it!  :D

pixeljunkie

Quote from: "xolik"See, that's the thing I'm most curious about. From the screenshots I saw on the back of the CD case, it's in English. At least, the names and menu options were in English. I'll let you know when it arrives. That's the whole reason why I bought it!  :D

yes! please post after you get it, I'm VERY curious now.

VestCunt

Topic Adjourned.

pixeljunkie

pixeljunkie

xolik

Mabye I was looking at that? Well, I know that at least ONE wizardy disc was in English. I may have been I&II or III&IV.

Worse case scenario is that I have to fudge my way around and use an online strategy guide. I can't be that hard, right?

EDIT: Looks like there's a TON of English in all the releases. That makes me VERY happy!

xolik

Quote from: "vestcunt"uh-oh!
http://pcecp.com/.img/PCE/w/wizrdry5/game.jpg
heheheh :twisted:

Ok, so some of the menus are in Japanese. I can deal with that. There's some English, still, so it's not a total loss.  :D

Wizardry 1&2 screenshots:

http://img122.echo.cx/img122/6331/title7av.jpg

http://img177.echo.cx/img177/1922/game0cc.jpg

Wizardry 3&4 shots:

http://img177.echo.cx/img177/7315/title1cw.jpg

http://img177.echo.cx/img177/2985/game1ec.jpg

Wizardry 5 shot: Bit of a challenge!

http://img177.echo.cx/img177/9003/game7lq.jpg

pixeljunkie

I find the Wizardry games pretty damn boring...but those screens have me curious.

xolik

Quote from: "pixeljunkie"I find the Wizardry games pretty damn boring...but those screens have me curious.

They're not the most exciting games in the world, that's for sure. But since I have yet to find a translation or a walkthrough for Dragon Slayer 2, it'll have to do in the meantime.  :(

Keranu

Haven't bought any Turbo games recently, but I started playing Dynastic Hero (Jap version). Pretty cool game, but I got more games (like Ys VI) and have to get those out of the way first, so Dynastic Hero is on hold for awhile ;) . Awesome game though.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

GUTS

You should just play the Genesis version Keranu; it's has way better graphics, its in english, and its cheap.  That game is TOO RAD to play in japanese.

TurboHuC6280

I recently got Exile as well.  I finished it in only two games, but I *really* thought it was a top-notch game.  It is one of the only Telenet games I've enjoyed playing, and Working Designs did a great job with it.  I'm looking forward to playing the sequel in spite of the fact that it's not exactly received rave reviews.

Additionally, I've been playing pretty much anything that arrives in the mail.  I have a pretty consistent stream of games arriving.  I've been playing a bit of Gunhed lately.  Last week, it was Kaze Kiri.  Before that, it was the Ys I+2 and some Drac X.  The nice thing about older games is that you can usually pick up and play without having to lose track of things (aside from RPGs).  Shooters and action/platform games are great for the classic gamer that doesn't have much gaming time anymore.

I'm hoping to be able to take some time this week and run Xak III through the patcher so I can start playing it.  Even though I don't have a lot of RPG time, I'm hoping to be able to spend some time with this one.  Additionally, I have the whole Japanese PCE Ys collection on the way.  I look forward to playing the English (patched) Ys IV as well.  I'm a bit worried about this one though, as I ordered it nearly a month ago.  The seller is reliable (I've ordered from her a lot).  I'm sure it's just a bit delayed in the mail.

pixeljunkie

Quote from: "GUTS"You should just play the Genesis version Keranu; it's has way better graphics, its in english, and its cheap.  That game is TOO RAD to play in japanese.

Genesis version of what? If you are talking about Exile you're way off....

OldRover

The Genesis version of Exile is total crap-in-a-can. But I think what was being referred to was one of the other Japanese RPGs in the post...
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

pixeljunkie

Quote from: OldRoverThe Genesis version of Exile is total crap-in-a-can. But I think what was being referred to was one of the other Japanese RPGs in the post...

were there Genesis versions of Wizardry 3-5???

The only other games talked about were Ys and DE2, neither of which are any good on Genesis [DE on sega CD and Ys 3 on genesis, both crap compared to the Turbo versions]

Keranu

Quote from: "GUTS"You should just play the Genesis version Keranu; it's has way better graphics, its in english, and its cheap.  That game is TOO RAD to play in japanese.
The Jap PCE version is the only version I have. I have the US version on a CD-R, but I am too much of a wuss (wimp+pussy) to play it since I don't officially own it. By the way, I always fond the Duo version to have a little better graphics, especially since it has ultimo dork sprite for the main character.

Exile for Genesis isn't necessarily bad at all, it's just way cooler for the Turbo CD because of the much better music and graphics. It's a fun game regardless.

As far as Ys III goes for consoles, I only slightly put the Duo version above the Genesis and SNES versions, mainly because of the CD soundtrack.
Quote from: TurboXray on 01/02/2014, 09:21 PMAdding PCE console specific layer on top of that, makes for an interesting challenge (no, not a reference to Ys II).
IMG
Click the banner to learn more about Alex Chiu and his "immortality rings"

GUTS

No I mean Dynastic Hero, obviously Exile is better on Duo.  Wonder Boy V on Genesis was much better than Dynastic Hero in every way (even the music on the Genesis version is ultimate rad).  But I can't argue with the dorky sprite thing, hah.

xolik

Ok, it's time for the Wizardry 5 report!

I'm pleased to announce that the combat menu, item names, spells, and character names and class listings are all in English, which is fantastic!

However, the diaglog with NPCs and in-town menus are all in Japanese.

The Instruction manual has enough English and pretty color photos in it to make navigating the in-town menus doable, which is a plus.

So, if you've got a bit of patience, you can easily play this game with little Japanese knowledge required. It helps if you've played the Wizardry series on PC before. This let me know basically that I've got to create my group on the outskirts of town, go to the tavern and add them, then go buy their equipment before I head out into the dungeon.

The only thing that really threw me a curveball was that the first time I tried to play the game, all it did was load to a black screen with Japanese writing on it. I had no idea what this meant, until I decided to erase my unused saved games that were stored in memory. (Bye bye Neutopia 2 saves!) Once I did that, the game loaded, so I'm assuming that it won't load if you don't have enough free space to save your games.

Yeah, I'd say it was worth the $8 I paid for it on Ebay.  :D

Liquid Snake

Quote from: OldRoverThe Genesis version of Exile is total crap-in-a-can. But I think what was being referred to was one of the other Japanese RPGs in the post...

Genesis version of Exile is missing one dungeon and few cinemas....
Why bother with Genesis version if you can get Duo full version?
My happy meal box is empty~~~

Play-Asia

pixeljunkie

Quote from: "Liquid Snake"

Genesis version of Exile is missing one dungeon and few cinemas....
Why bother with Genesis version if you can get Duo full version?

exactly.

off-topic:
Do you ever go to animation town? I haven't been there in awhile, since I have most of the stuff at home...but its still nice to go to an arcade once in awhile.