Three unique problems… Three different Turbo Grafx 16 units…

Started by Spman2099, 05/22/2009, 12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spman2099

So over the years I have owned many Turbo Grafx 16 systems, but over time they have all broken down. Right now I have three consoles; each one has its own distinct problem. I was wondering if you guys may be able to help get at least one of them up and running again...

The first system won't power on at all. :cry:

The second will power on but will only show a colored screen.  :-({|=

The third I have the most hope for, it is the one that worked most recently. Its problem is that it takes a lot of fiddling with the av cord to get picture and sound, once you get picture it is VERY snowy. However a devoted individual could play a game if they wanted to.  :-k

If anyone is wondering, I am currently using an official NEC ac adaptor and NES av cords. Before you ask I have like 8 of these av cords, they all work perfectly on my NES and all of them gave the same results on the Turbo Grafx 16. 

I had read that the NES av cord is compatible with the Turbo Grafx 16 unit; however I would be happy if it was not and that was my only problem with the third unit, because that is an easy fix.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Platinumfungi

3 dead TG16s is sad news!

When you say you're using an Nes "av cable", is it the black rf/coax cable that screws onto the back of your tv set, or are you using a turbo booster with the TG16 and using an RCA style cable with composite video and stereo sound?

Just a few quick thoughts:

System 1 - If you're sure the power supply is good, then my first guess would be a bad fuse. It's a 125V 1.25A.

System 2 - If it's a solid color screen usually that is in relation to a bad connection at the Hucard pins. Either they are dirty, a pin is bent or damaged, or one could have a bad solder joint. Try cleaning the pins and check for any signs of damage.

System 3 - Sounds like a very common loose/bad connection. Quite often over time the solder joints go bad and you have to "wiggle" it around it make contact. Reflowing fresh solder over all the joints should do the trick.

Let me know if you need any further info  :)
IMG

OldRover

You can test the third one with ease of you have the CDROM deck or a TurboBooster of some kind. I agree with Red Ghost on the other two...the fuse is the first thing I'd check for the first one, and the connector on the second. If it has loose solder joints, they can be easily repaired with a quick touch of a hot soldering iron.
Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

kattare

Do you have cables and/or controllers for all three units?  (esp power?)

I'd be willing to trade my known good unit for your three broken ones.  I have a CD unit so I'm pretty sure the one with picture problems will work no problem. (using the video out on my cd unit)  The rest I'll attempt to repair.
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.

kattare

I hadn't heard back at all, but it occurred to me, if you snag a TurboBooster you can do the same thing I was going to do with my CD unit.  That is, bypass the RF unit on the systems.  I'd get one booster, then try them all out on it.  I wouldn't be surprised if two of the three turn out to be fine.  (just with bad RF units)

Cheers.
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.