RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Placing RPG on hold for a bright idea....

Started by Arkhan Asylum, 07/13/2009, 02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arkhan Asylum

Since Insanity is turning out well..and if it is accepted by everyone and doesnt get bashed to pieces.....

we were thinking about doing an arcade-pack Super CD-ROM with around 5 or 6 suped up classic arcade games...

what does everyone think about this? Is it something you'd be interested in purchasing/playing?

Some ideas for games to do:

Pac-Man**
Joust**
Kangaroo
Blueprint
Jungle Hunt
Keystone Kapers
Pitfall
Seaquest

**= were like 100% sure we want to do those.

Anyone else have suggested titles they would like to see turbo'd up?  We will of course be changing the titles of the games, and reworking them but the general gameplay mechanics will be the same.

Like joust for example, maybe everyone will be on flying kangaroos or bears or something, and be weilding pitchforks instead of lances!  You get the idea

So with that:

What styles of arcade games would you suggest we do!

and as a courtesy: Asteroids is out (MeteorBlaster) and so are Galagas (Cmon we got 2 already) AND Galaxian (Touko has that covered)

The reason for this idea is that it will essentially be a fund raiser to invest a lot of time and production into the RPG, and will also help bolster some skills/tools/etc on these games so that the RPG will go along nicer.  Nothing sucks more than speedbumping in an RPG development

also it will be a better way to establish ourselves and make sure people dig our work and style (for boxarts, manual arts, etc.) before we throw a year and a half into an RPG and then have noone like what comes out it.
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

Arjak

I vote for Pitfall. I love that game.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Sinistron

Pitfall and Jungle Hunt I'd love to see-

along with Elevator Action...
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

Arkhan Asylum

Hey! You named the game I couldnt remember when I just listed everything.  Elevator Action!

So pitafll/jungle hunt and elevator action are liked by more than just me.

hah

well, lets see what everyone else thinks too now.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

NecroPhile

I'd definitely nab such a collection, assuming they turn out pretty good and not just hatchet job, low rent homebrews.  Meh, who am I kidding?  I'd buy it anyway.  8)

Pitfall, Elevator Action, and Pac-Man are dang fine picks.  I also wouldn't mind seeing versions of Q*bert, Tank (Combat on the 2600), Frogger, and/or Tempest.
Ultimate Forum Bully/Thief/Saboteur/Clone Warrior! BURN IN HELL NECROPHUCK!!!

Charlie

Pitfall, JungleHunt, AztecWarrior, PolePosition

Charlie

NecroPhile

Quote from: Charlie on 07/13/2009, 05:04 PMPitfall, JungleHunt, AztecWarrior, PolePosition

Charlie
What's AztecWarrior like?  I don't recall hearing of it before and can't find a listing at KLOV.  :-k

Arkhan Asylum

It seems Pitfall and Jungle Hunt are really popular choices.  Perhaps they must be done! With some re-"themeing" where needed.

Maybe make it Swamp Hunt and HoleFall, lol.

AztecWarrior ? Never heard of it.  Do you mean Aztec Challenge?

RoyVegas

I see you have Joust listed but it doesn't seem to have gotten much love so far.  I loved that game as a kid and it would be nice to see it again.  No matter what you decide to do I'll buy a copy!
All is well. :)

nat

Wayback - thebrothersduomazov.com - Reviews of over 400 TurboGrafx-16/PC-Engine games

override

Id buy it! I think it would sweet to bring back some classics that are buffed up~!  :wink:
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Man thats alot of Jungle Hunting.  I guess that is another one to add to the list!

Turbo D

I too would like to express my desire for a Jungle Hunt port on the TurboGrafx-16. All of the titles on your list are sufficient choices. I feverishly await the release of this collection.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Just a point of note: Anything paddle related or trackball related would suck on the PCE with a DPAD.

itd be like Missile Command w/ a joystick.  Total pain.

otherwise we were gonna do Kaboom!

termis

I'd rather see one really nicely polished one rather than a collection of 5 mediocre ones. 

Pitfall would be pretty fucking awesome.  For improvement, I'd add an "exit" phase after you collect all the treasures so that one can achieve a true ending.

Arkhan Asylum

wellt he goal is to make sure theyre not Atari 2600 quality, lol.  If there is no extra incentive then its not worth it

I have it now though

Kangaroos w/ Jetpacks for joust, instead of birds.  and call it Joustaroo!

I am dead serious too

termis

Haha, that'd be original enough to warrant a purchase!

Reminds me of these kangaroos that I recently came across -- they think they're supermodels. :)  I'm sure they'd love to be in another game.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Yes .   Where possible, I would like to make the games a little more interesting.  Like Joustaroo. 

Theyd be arcade game remakes with a twist.

What would you guys say about that?  If the games were like the originals gameplay wise, but possibly have some quirk to em.

yknow, like Joust becoming cartoony and featuring kangaroos...

ParanoiaDragon

Venture, Spiderman(2600), River Raid, Pitfall 2, California Games(the 2600 version rules, seriously, if only for the BMX!), Adventure(the first RPG EVA!), Air Sea Battle, Choplifter, Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr., Food Fight, Home Run, Moon Patrol, Mousetrap.  Out of all of those, my top picks are Venture, Spiderman, California Games, Air Sea Battle, Food Fight, & Moon Patrol.

Venture-Big ol smiley face running around with an arrow sticking out of his ear, great game, call it Smiley Joe's Adventure's in the Congo of Death!
Spiderman-does whatever a spider can, crawls up walls, stick with webs, call it Whiplashman, or the Adventures of Hooklad!
California Games-do I need to introduce this one?  Seriously though, based on the 2600 version, I love playing the BMX over & over, call it Florida Olympics or Surf Bike Hackysack Skate or Perish!
Air Sea Battle-multi player fun for hours, call it Heir See War or Oxygen Yes Conflict ot Error Z Fight!
Food Fight-needs no intro, call it Lunch Punch or Dinner Flinger, or Breakfast Bar Fight!
Moon Patrol-is legendary, call it Saturn Scout or Crater Crawl or Jupiter Stroll,
IMG

Sinistron

Venture, Spy Hunter, Elevator Action, Pitfall, Jungle Hunt, Bump n' Jump, and Burger Time  :)
IMG
Quote from: Tatsujin- ATM it's just amateurish boytoy shizzle.
- they will bust me for consuming drug until they found out what it was in real.

guyjin

since you're already doing Insanity, a port of Berzerk, why not do a port of Frenzy, the sequel to Berzerk?

Also, it might be difficult, but how about a Robotron:2084 port? (that would require a lot of sprite pushing, and I don't remember how many the PCE can do)

jboypacman

Moon Patrol,Crazy Climber,Donkey Kong,Star Castle,Teeter Torcher(Exidy proto-type),King and Balloon,Mouse Trap.LadyBug and Q*Bert.

There are just tons of arcade classics really i would love to see on the old PCE. :D

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guyjin on 07/14/2009, 12:24 PMsince you're already doing Insanity, a port of Berzerk, why not do a port of Frenzy, the sequel to Berzerk?

Also, it might be difficult, but how about a Robotron:2084 port? (that would require a lot of sprite pushing, and I don't remember how many the PCE can do)
robotron wouldnt be fun without 2 joysticks :(  Itd play like Insanity with no walls basically.

as for frenzy , The only real difference is there are two robot pictures and you can knock walls open...which often isn't that useful anyways lol and BULLET DEFLECTING!   Thatd be interesting maybe....   Id feel like im ripping everyone off if I do Frenzy :(  Though Insanity mooches a bit of it's design since the robots move fast.  They don't move too fast in Berzerk really. :)

plus, if i use the frenzy slot for a different game, we can get more diverse arcade doom on the PCE :-D

The suggestions that are piling up are really good so far.  I might turn this into a poll soon.

We have a pacman spoof, joust spoof, and jungle hunt spoof for the win so far.

Venture, Moon Patrol, Pitfall and Elevator Action have come up repeatedly also.

Elevator Action I thought could be called Hotel Heist and be in a futuristic setting like Robocop.  All apocolypse style.  Hotel full of cyborgs.  You shoot a lazer ,its all sci fi lookin....

but you still drive away in a dopey looking get away vehicle. 

OldRover

Turbo Badass Rank: Janne (6 of 12 clears)
Conquered so far: Sinistron, Violent Soldier, Tatsujin, Super Raiden, Shape Shifter, Rayxanber II

hoobs88

I would like to see either the 5-in-1 Famicom Collection or the 6-in-1 Famicom Collection that were featured as prototypes on PCECP.com
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: hoobs88 on 07/15/2009, 12:09 AMI would like to see either the 5-in-1 Famicom Collection or the 6-in-1 Famicom Collection that were featured as prototypes on PCECP.com
O_?   never seen that.

_Paul

This sounds like a great idea, remakes are always fun (I've been involved in a couple of Spectrum remakes in the past, including Cybernoid which I am particularly proud of) and remaking simpler games is less stressfull than going full-out on an RPG that will take years to complete!

If I can be of help in any way, however small, please let me know.

Arkhan Asylum

Hey man, just putting the games up on your site would rule pretty hard. :)

_Paul

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/15/2009, 06:11 AMHey man, just putting the games up on your site would rule pretty hard. :)
I might have to do a listing for homebrew games...although I'm ashamed to admit I don't actually own any.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 07/15/2009, 06:31 AM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/15/2009, 06:11 AMHey man, just putting the games up on your site would rule pretty hard. :)
I might have to do a listing for homebrew games...although I'm ashamed to admit I don't actually own any.
Well, youll own Insanity and the arcade CD for sure ...

right?! :)

_Paul

Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/15/2009, 01:55 PM

I have to get my Duo-RX working first O_o (unless it works in ME of course!)

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 07/15/2009, 01:58 PM
Quote from: Psycho Arkhan on 07/15/2009, 01:55 PM

I have to get my Duo-RX working first O_o (unless it works in ME of course!)
We test everything we do on ME, Mednafen and Ootake.   100% goodness so far.

Charlie

Aztec Challenge?  Might have been, has an Aztec running toward a pyramid, ducking/jumping spears.  But I have a vague recollection of two different Aztec games, and I don't remember the name of either one of them!

Burger Time (right up there with Pitfall), DK and DK2, Pitfall2, Jumpman, Jumpman Jr., Tapper, and that really cool game with the little guy who climbs up ladders & crosses hand-over-hand on pipes all the while being chased by other little guys. (What the ^**% was the name of that?).

By the way, I hate Robotron!

Arjak

Quote from: Charlie on 07/15/2009, 06:44 PMAztec Challenge?  Might have been, has an Aztec running toward a pyramid, ducking/jumping spears.  But I have a vague recollection of two different Aztec games, and I don't remember the name of either one of them!

Burger Time (right up there with Pitfall), DK and DK2, Pitfall2, Jumpman, Jumpman Jr., Tapper, and that really cool game with the little guy who climbs up ladders & crosses hand-over-hand on pipes all the while being chased by other little guys. (What the ^**% was the name of that?).

By the way, I hate Robotron!
Could the game you are thinking of be Lode Runner? That game has already been released for PCE, unfortunately.
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Arkhan Asylum

The aztec challenge is an olympic style game.

maybe you mean Montezumas Revenge?

lode runner sounds like the ladder one for sure tho, and its been done.

ParanoiaDragon

I believe when talking to you on IRC, you mentioned doing the half pipe of Skate or Die 2, I've been thinking that would be beyond awesome(ofcoarse, I'd love a full remake of the entire game, but, that's a different matter).  I put in a hefty voat for the Skate or Die 2 half pipe!  Call it Skate or Perish, Skate or Live no Longer, Skate or Kaputzki!  Also, for Pac Man, I think it'd be nice if there was some nice animation for the enemies.
IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 08/03/2009, 03:12 AMI believe when talking to you on IRC, you mentioned doing the half pipe of Skate or Die 2, I've been thinking that would be beyond awesome(ofcoarse, I'd love a full remake of the entire game, but, that's a different matter).  I put in a hefty voat for the Skate or Die 2 half pipe!  Call it Skate or Perish, Skate or Live no Longer, Skate or Kaputzki!  Also, for Pac Man, I think it'd be nice if there was some nice animation for the enemies.
the ramp is a very serious thought.  I love that and it'd be fun to mess with the physics.

For pac man, the final graphics wont even be pacman and ghosts, but either way they will be alot better looking than the demo I posted up.  right now what we have is just stand in quick junk :)

Charlie

LodeRunner it is; I just had a brain fart on that one.

The other, no, it definitely was Aztec something.  The opening screen was a small pyramid way in the background, and the Aztec guy in the foreground.  He started running toward the pyramid (which got progressively bigger as he got "closer"), and from each side would come spears, either at head height which you had to duck via joystick, or leg height which you had to jump via joystick.  The object of course was to not get killed.

If you made it to the pyramid, you entered the door, and that took you to another challenge.  It may have been a C64 game.

Charlie

Arkhan Asylum

Charlie

Yup, that's the one.  I thought it was a door, but it may have been the stairs, but that's it.

So, when is this stuff going to be done?

Charlie

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: Charlie on 08/04/2009, 07:12 AMYup, that's the one.  I thought it was a door, but it may have been the stairs, but that's it.

So, when is this stuff going to be done?

Charlie
Aetherbyte is gonna start up on it as soon as Insanity is finished and the convention its being demo'd at ends.  So maybe around thanksgiving time.

Zeon

I super vote for Burgertime. That game is just too awesome.

I think a twist you could put on most old arcade classics is two player co-op or vs modes. Again I think that would be hella cool to have a two simultaneous player Burgertime. Two player co-op would work the best on games where the stages take place on a single screen. You'd definitely have to change up the game's formula in 2 player mode to keep things interesting.

NecroPhile

A four player version of Tetris (Bonk or Bomberman themed, of course) would make a great addition to any multiplayer party.  [-o<

hoobs88

Quote from: Zeon on 10/01/2009, 06:17 AMI super vote for Burgertime. That game is just too awesome.

I think a twist you could put on most old arcade classics is two player co-op or vs modes. Again I think that would be hella cool to have a two simultaneous player Burgertime. Two player co-op would work the best on games where the stages take place on a single screen. You'd definitely have to change up the game's formula in 2 player mode to keep things interesting.
1st player could be the 'Burger King' and 2nd player could be "Ronald McDonald".
1 title needed for a complete US Turbo Grafx collection: Magical Chase
Parasol Stars High Score = 119,783,770
https://www.pcengine-fx.com/forums/index.php?topic=9292.0
League of Legends Summoner Name = DeviousSideburns

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: hoobs88 on 10/01/2009, 06:37 PM
Quote from: Zeon on 10/01/2009, 06:17 AMI super vote for Burgertime. That game is just too awesome.

1st player could be the 'Burger King' and 2nd player could be "Ronald McDonald".
LOL and it could be called SUPERSIZE

Windy

My vote is for Tapper Which could be called "Hey Bartender" LOL and maybe a an old style racing game kind of like Enduro (activision) where the track never ends but you race for high score through different Elements and it changes from daytime to night time racing (I always like the headlight effects in enduro) Cant think of a name for enduro
Proud Member of the F@CK Ebay Club
MONSTER HUNTER TRI FC: W272XV

RayXambeR

Good idea!

If possible, please include multiplayer games. A game like Combat, but for 4 or 5 players, could be fantastic. Same think about a Pac-Man remake in which there is the opportunity to move two Pac-Man against 3 other players who are the ghosts!
Elevator Action, but for two players, can be addictive.
Too, I vote for Tempest in a version inspired by the 2000 on Jaguar if possible.
I think a sequel to the fantastic Shark! shark! on Intellivision could be marvellous! Perhaps by including more different game modes, multiplayer games, etc.
I love Robotron too. With two joysticks (PCE has joysticks like XE-1 pro) it could be fantastic. And a two player game could be excellent!
Centipede is a great game for the PCE if you can realize a two player game like in the 7800 version (the best!) with competition and cooperation modes: the same number of lives, a cumulated score and the fact the player who dies can play again if the other player reach a sufficient score to have an extra-life! A great idea but never see on any game...
A game like Breakout but for 4 players (in each side of the screen) like Multibriques on Atari Falcon 030 if you see what I mean.

Too, please consider saving option. I think "old" arcade games are fantastic but if there is no savings, not sure they have good replay-value. Or, at least, some codes to choose the level, the difficulty, etc.

I think it is necessary to surpass the original versions. If not, why not play the original ones on Mame or play the equivalent on Atari 2600? (a recent version of Lady Bug is fantastic on this sytem!)

To summarize, your idea of a compilation with arcade games is excellent :)

Arkhan Asylum

Multiplayer is definitely going to happen in some of them.   We are also planning on revisiting Insanity with a multiplayer death match game. That will be fun!

The big thing to remember too is none of these are going to be exact arcade copies.  They will be like insanity in that they will have the same mechanics as the original concept, but be taken to a different level audio and visual wise.

Work has already begun on Joust.  Thats the one I am most excited about.

jlued686

Cool idea and based on your work with Insanity, I'll totally buy it.  But I will say I'm a bit disappointed that you're not going with an original idea for your next game.  To me, what makes homebrew and indie releases for the PCE/Turbo appealing to me is getting to play brand new games on my favorite console, rather than remakes and compilations.  But like I said, I'll buy this for sure when it gets released.

Arkhan Asylum

Quote from: guest on 11/21/2009, 06:04 PMCool idea and based on your work with Insanity, I'll totally buy it.  But I will say I'm a bit disappointed that you're not going with an original idea for your next game.  To me, what makes homebrew and indie releases for the PCE/Turbo appealing to me is getting to play brand new games on my favorite console, rather than remakes and compilations.  But like I said, I'll buy this for sure when it gets released.
I get ya.   The plan is to put spins on the games so they're not just straight copies :)

....The ultimate goal is to get more PCE experience and tools going so that when it comes time to work on the Ys-RPG, we're totally ready to tackle it!

Its easier to learn the hardware, gain experience, and prepare tools/stuff if you make multiple littler games of different varieties!

And dont worry, I have two OTHER game ideas besides the RPG that I do hope to work on as well :)

besides, PCE needs some more uber-retro arcade games besides Galaga!