RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Issues with new Japanee DUO

Started by FlashGameMaker, 08/01/2009, 11:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlashGameMaker

Hi,

(I'm in the UK)

I recently got a new Japanese DUO (dark blue one), and it works fine but theres 2 issues.

1) I've got it connected via RGB/scart to the TV (sanyo 28inch LCD), and even though the picture isn't terrible, theres still strange artifacts on the screen, it's not sharp so to speak, I was wondering if this is just how it is with viewing old systems/games on new TV's, or is there a way to sort that out? It is best using it with an older TV? CRT?

2) I'm using a step down transformer, which works fine apart from it makes a really loud whining noise, is this just how it has to be or are their quieter options?

thanks for any advice.

Tatsujin

1) i guess so (for both questions)

2) since i dont know your step down convertor, i suggest to use a local universal 10V /1000mA adaptor. probably your convertor is damaged or can't provied the needed power (but in that case, it must be a minature of convertor).
www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

Arkhan Asylum

In personal experience, whining electronics are not a good sign .

It might be part of the video problem even.  goony current interference?
This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

omotai

I used to live in Europe (Germany specifically, but it's 240V/50Hz just like the UK is), and I had to use a stepdown converter for certain electronics, and it most definitely did not make a whining noise. If I were in your shoes, I would stop using it and replace it as soon as possible, since it's obviously malfunctioning and could potentially be dangerous to your Duo or anything else you plug into it.

FlashGameMaker

Thanks for the replies.

I've attached 3 images.

One is of the transformer and japanese plug.

One is of a AC-DC adapter I've got, which is 9V and 1000ma

and last is a screen shot of the TV where you can see the strange artifacts on the pixels.

Instead of getting a step down transformer would the AC-DC adapter be ok to plug into the DUO, even though it's only 9V and the DUO says it needs 10v? or does that not make too much of a difference? or do I need to get a new step down transformer?

and regarding the screen shot, does that look normal? is it just an issue of using an old console with a new LCD tv?

thanks for any help!

omotai

As long as that AC adapter has a plug that will fit into the Duo (I believe you need a 6.5mm one) and is the correct polarity (this is very important), it's fine. I'm using a 9V adapter on mine, and it works brilliantly. The Duo actually only uses 7V internally, but the AC adapter that was packed with it provides more so as to make absolutely certain that it always has adequate power at all times. With a more modern AC adapter, there should be less variance in the power it supplies, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure that the plug (that goes into the Duo) is positive center. Negative center will fry your Duo.

Also, the screenshot looks fine to me. Unfortunately, your games are going to look weird on an LCD, and there's not really anything you can do about it. I can't tell if you're running it in widescreen or not from the picture, but if you are I would suggest switching to pillarbox (i.e. 4:3, the old TV aspect ratio). It'll look a lot better that way.

FlashGameMaker

Quote from: omotai on 08/02/2009, 06:54 PMAs long as that AC adapter has a plug that will fit into the Duo (I believe you need a 6.5mm one) and is the correct polarity (this is very important), it's fine. I'm using a 9V adapter on mine, and it works brilliantly. The Duo actually only uses 7V internally, but the AC adapter that was packed with it provides more so as to make absolutely certain that it always has adequate power at all times. With a more modern AC adapter, there should be less variance in the power it supplies, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure that the plug (that goes into the Duo) is positive center. Negative center will fry your Duo.

Also, the screenshot looks fine to me. Unfortunately, your games are going to look weird on an LCD, and there's not really anything you can do about it. I can't tell if you're running it in widescreen or not from the picture, but if you are I would suggest switching to pillarbox (i.e. 4:3, the old TV aspect ratio). It'll look a lot better that way.
Thanks thats useful info. Sorry to be a total noob :), but how do I tell which which end is the positive center? are you talking about a plug as apposed to a socket? or is this something to do with the voltage? the adapter in the pic, comes with all these different ends that you can swap and change, i was going to use the one that most closely resembled the one that came with the machine.

esteban

Quote from: FlashGameMaker on 08/02/2009, 07:38 PM
Quote from: omotai on 08/02/2009, 06:54 PMAs long as that AC adapter has a plug that will fit into the Duo (I believe you need a 6.5mm one) and is the correct polarity (this is very important), it's fine. I'm using a 9V adapter on mine, and it works brilliantly. The Duo actually only uses 7V internally, but the AC adapter that was packed with it provides more so as to make absolutely certain that it always has adequate power at all times. With a more modern AC adapter, there should be less variance in the power it supplies, so I wouldn't worry about it. Just make sure that the plug (that goes into the Duo) is positive center. Negative center will fry your Duo.

Thanks thats useful info. Sorry to be a total noob :), but how do I tell which which end is the positive center? are you talking about a plug as apposed to a socket? or is this something to do with the voltage? the adapter in the pic, comes with all these different ends that you can swap and change, i was going to use the one that most closely resembled the one that came with the machine.
The interchangeable tips serve two purposes:
1) You can select the proper size.
2) You can change the polarity (usually by attaching the tip at 0 degrees or 180 degrees).

So, BE CERTAIN the tip is attached appropriately... otherwise, the polarity will be reversed ('tis bad, 'tis bad).
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Arkhan Asylum

Yes be careful with that polarity BS.

The little pamphlet that comes with it will tell you what to do and gives diagrams.  Match it to the proper duo diagram.

This "max-level forum psycho" (:lol:) destroyed TWO PC Engine groups in rage: one by Aaron Lambert on Facebook "Because Chris 'Shadowland' Runyon!," then the other by Aaron Nanto "Because Le NightWolve!" Him and PCE Aarons don't have a good track record together... Both times he blamed the Aarons in a "Look-what-you-made-us-do?!" manner, never himself nor his deranged, destructive, toxic turbo troll gang!

omotai

You can only tell which is positive or negative by looking at the diagram. On the Duo, it should be right next to the power socket. On AC adapters, it's located on the label with all of the other output information. You can see it in the picture you took of your NEC branded AC adapter. It's the little diagram at the bottom of the label. There's a circle in the middle with a solid circle inside of it. The solid circle is the center. It's positive center, because the little + symbol is connected to it. The - symbol is connected to the outer circle. You want whatever you do to match that diagram. If the - symbol is attached to the center, then boom.

FlashGameMaker

Thanks, I'll try to make sure I do that! :)

How would I play American Hu cards on this Japanese DUO? where would I get a converter? and theres no need for a converter to play American cd games on the Japanese Duo correct?

termis

You HAVE to mod a Japanese Duo to play American HuCards (the converter alone will not work).

You have to lift a pin off of one of the ICs and ground it, THEN you can use the converter to play US Turbografx cards.  But if you're going to go through the trouble of doing that (the initial mod), might as well go all the way and also install a switch, which will let you play US cards.  Check out the mod pages if you want to find out how.

And you are correct on the CD games -- no converters needed for CD games -- however, you do need the appropriate system cards for certain games.  (Arcade Card Duo/Pro for all the ACD games, GameExpress card for the non-licensed CD games, and System card 1.0 for Altered Beast.)

FlashGameMaker

Quote from: termis on 08/03/2009, 08:14 AMYou HAVE to mod a Japanese Duo to play American HuCards (the converter alone will not work).

You have to lift a pin off of one of the ICs and ground it, THEN you can use the converter to play US Turbografx cards.  But if you're going to go through the trouble of doing that (the initial mod), might as well go all the way and also install a switch, which will let you play US cards.  Check out the mod pages if you want to find out how.

And you are correct on the CD games -- no converters needed for CD games -- however, you do need the appropriate system cards for certain games.  (Arcade Card Duo/Pro for all the ACD games, GameExpress card for the non-licensed CD games, and System card 1.0 for Altered Beast.)
thanks are there any mod services (in the UK) that install the mod?

kattare

Hey there.

Are you very good with electronics?  You may be able to lift the pin yourself, it's not very difficult if you've worked with a soldering iron (low wattage!) before.  The chip you need to access is on the bottom of the board.  It's pin 29 of the HuC6280 chip, which must be lifted from the PCB and connected to Ground.  I do it on a regular basis with a 15w iron and a hobby knife.  Just be careful not to bend it much, if it breaks off you're screwed.  You just want to lift it 1mm - 2mm off the board, enough that it no longer connects and you can solder on a ground wire.

If you don't want to tackle the switch install, which is more involved, telegames.co.uk has a great region converter.

Too bad you're so far away.  I'd love to do the mod for ya, but I'm over in Oregon, USA.

Cheers.
Webhost by day, (www.kattare.com) retro gamer by night.