RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

Wolfenstein 3D

Started by MotoRoaderMike, 08/20/2009, 07:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MotoRoaderMike

IMG
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/564603-wolfenstein-3d

I don't play first person shooters anymore for the most part (they've become too cookie cutter and too generic), but this was one of my top favorite games back in 1996, and I've been revisiting this game a lot lately.

I bought the SNES version from a junk shop, I bought it for my iPod, and I bought it for the PS3. I LOVED this game! And I remember the only version I owned back then was a demo of the first episode, and getting bored being only able to play that one over and over again and wanting to play the full PC version. The only full version I got to experience back then was the SNES version, which I thought was good despite the censorship and the inferior hardware. So much fun walking around a castle and killing a bunch of Nazis.

And speaking of Nazis, it was only a few weeks back that I found out the music at the title screen and on the 1st and 5th stages of episode 2 were the official Nazi party anthem. Geez, what could be worse than finding out one of your favorite video game songs from when you were a child was a real Nazi anthem ?

Anyway, the first FULL version of the game I owned was the GBA version. At the time, I liked this version, but that was just because of how fascinated I was that a portable system could do that. Now I think it sucks, because it had NO music ANYWHERE, and you could only save at the end of the levels.

The iPod Touch version's pretty good. When I first played that version, I had trouble with the controls, but the more I played it, the more I got the hang of it (now when are they going to put Duke Nukem on the iPod?). And the PSN version is faithful to the PC original, but the music is slowed down like 50% for whatever reason. It brought back a lot of great childhood memories, and I'm thinking about buying the latest installment (which is just called 'Wolfenstein') as soon as I get some dough. But other than that, today's first person shooters just don't cut the mustard for me.
/forumsiggs6.jpg
Dragon's Lair appreciation. Again.

Tatsujin

www.pcedaisakusen.net - home of your individual PC Engine collection!!
PCE Games countdown: 690/737 (47 to go or 93.6% clear)
PCE Shmups countdown: 111/111 (all clear!!)
Sega does what Nintendon't, but only NEC does better than both together!^^
<Senshi> Tat's i'm going to contact the people of Hard Off and open a store stateside..

esteban

Quote from: MotoRoaderMike on 08/20/2009, 07:36 PMGeez, what could be worse than finding out one of your favorite video game songs from when you were a child was a real nazi anthem?
Damn, is that for real? I didn't know that.

Anyway, I played the first Wolfenstein on Apple ][ back in the day... it was a fine game... but it was not the FPS.

Wolfenstein 3D was neat, but I think I was more addicted to Blockout (3D tetris) at the time :)

I've been meaning to check out the iPhone version of Wolfenstein.
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

WoodyXP

Wolf3d is my all-time favorite.  I wish somebody would make an updated version of the game
with the same maps and all.  That would be great.  8)
"I bathe in AES carts."