@GTV reviews the Cosmic Fantasy 1-2 Switch collection by Edia, provides examples of the poor English editing/localization work. It's much worse for CF1. Rated "D" for disappointment, finding that TurboGrafx CF2 is better & while CF1's the real draw, Edia screwed it up...
Main Menu

Ys IV Dubbing Project: Take 2

Started by Arjak, 10/13/2009, 08:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: bernielindell on 01/18/2012, 03:22 PMNightwolve has a Facebook acct.  I do as well, if someone wants me to contact them.
Sorry about the late reply.
If you can contact him for me that would be great. Basically tell him that I've been trying to get in contact with him about reviving the YsIV dub and I would like to know all the things he accomplished for it before canning it, and then give him my email to replay to.
I'll send you a PM with Justus Johnston's FaceBook URL and my email.
What Button Do You Press To Jump!?!

NightWolve

Quote from: ParanoiaDragon on 01/18/2012, 02:10 PMJustus needs to be served! :D
Heh-heh. Very clever, bud. You gave me a little chuckle with that one there. ;)

QuoteI'm glad you like my wife!......Ok, that sounds wrong :D
I like her too!! :wink: Not at much as Karna, though...

Quote from: Burnt Lasagna on 01/21/2012, 12:33 PMbut that "YsIVSpeechMatchUp" text file that NightWolve included in the dub pack is the most useful thing on the planet!
Yeah, just note that it's unfinished and to match it up with the full speech file takes a little effort since he didn't quite translate the lines the same... Somebody's gotta find a Japanese/English speaker, someone that can understand spoken words which wasn't the case with that translator. He had obtained transcribed text from a Japanese website and used WWWJDIC (online translation software), which is how the translated speech file came about (as well as all of his translations for that matter). Anyway, I trust it's all in good hands now.

Thanks to: bernie, Necromancer, incrediblehark, The Old Rover, Mishran, esteban ! And you're very welcome! I appreciate the support, minor or not! You know it's rare to actually get a "thank you" now and then. The Ys fanbase is 99% cheapskate, spoiled rotten, thankless, etc. among other things. If you take money off the table and merely examine the act of firing off an email just to say "Hey, thanks for the patch man!", that occurrence after 10 years is also a fraction of 1% out of ~60,000+ Ys patch consumers... They're just as lazy/thankless as they are cheap... You'd be surprised! I wanna write an op-ed in the future about that actually. I have 5 years of data from when I was professional and 5 years after the Felghana patch was leaked and the "war on warez" began, a sort of open asshole grudge war where warez adversaries of mine use forums to make personal attacks, lie about me, float threats of extortion, etc. and conversely, I get to call them butt-pirates on my site. ;) But basically, what I learned is that with 5 years of being a professional, and 5 years of being an asshole, it doesn't make much of a difference: the freeloading rate winds up at 99% in the end... I have to make that point because of the revising of history that's taken place where they've essentially portrayed themselves as poor little victims and that maybe if I was nicer to people, I would have more donations to show for it (they forget the first 5 years of productivity and leading up to the Felghana patch). Does NOT make a difference, a cheap-ass, non-tipping, gaming asshole will find whatever excuse that's available. I even get the occasional emails, "I was just about to donate, but I was waiting for a fully completed Felghana patch. Honest to God!! Why would I donate for the incomplete one??" - they think I'm stupid enough to fall for that, like there's a whole bunch of 'em just waiting to give me their money if I do this one thing when there was 5 years of data/statistics prior to that telling me exactly what their behavior would be... Heh-heh, they're hilarious sometimes.

Suffice to say, I hate Ys F.A.N.s (Freeloading. Asshole. Nerds.) with a passion!!! =) You would think, intuitively, that if you do great work, are helpful, professional/courteous, that you'll be rewarded in kind, but that is not the reality so I ended that approach back in '07 with the Felghana leak - After that, there was no point to remain civil, I get to tell the assholes exactly what they are and what I think of 'em... Fair enough tradeoff. That reminds me, I think I also wanna make a general advice article to fan translation teams. Warnings about this (don't expect much donations, if ever, assuming you care) and about how to be careful with the openness in your software, teammates, etc. should something like XSEED come along; you must never trust anyone, not even the person next to you no matter how many years you might've worked with him/her. Getting fucked over is the default. I've gotten excised from crediting plenty of times, by regular assholes, nevermind a professional videogame publisher.
/end rant

Anyway, I think that's why I like the NEC boards. To know and participate in NEC related stuff is to be in your upper 20's and mid 30's. It gets you away from the PC juvenile, teenage, warez punk crowd which dominate most forums and have most of the attitude, ignorant spunk problems, etc.

P.S. BL, I tried your Dracula X dubbing work playing through with Richter. That was fun! For a second, I forgot that you took material from the PSP version and was like, oh wow, they did a great job here... Then I remembered it was professionals hired by Konami, duh. But anyway, now I gotta beat it again with Maria.

Keith Courage

You should just sample in a fart for the exact amount of seconds the dead space lasts for in the audio translations    :twisted:

Bernie

Quote from: Keith Courage on 01/22/2012, 09:18 PMYou should just sample in a fart for the exact amount of seconds the dead space lasts for in the audio translations    :twisted:
lol.  Thats some funny shit right there, and if it were me, I would do it.

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: NightWolve on 01/22/2012, 07:55 PMYeah, just note that it's unfinished and to match it up with the full speech file takes a little effort since he didn't quite translate the lines the same...
I was afraid of that.
This is only really going to be an issue though for scenes that require lip syncing, and if I'm remember correctly those are not the most prevalent things in the game.
QuoteP.S. BL, I tried your Dracula X dubbing work playing through with Richter. That was fun! For a second, I forgot that you took material from the PSP version and was like, oh wow, they did a great job here... Then I remembered it was professionals hired by Konami, duh. But anyway, now I gotta beat it again with Maria.
Glad you liked it :)
I originally intended on organizing a dub for Rondo of Blood back when I kick start this project back up in early 2010. That changed though when I realized Konami had already done the job. It definitely feels like an authentic 90's dub (which I like).

Quote from: Keith Courage on 01/22/2012, 09:18 PMYou should just sample in a fart for the exact amount of seconds the dead space lasts for in the audio translations    :twisted:
Good idea! I'll get right on it :wink:

incrediblehark

No problem Nightwolve! I remember when the translation was done way back and there was talk of a dubbing, I'd check back to your site from time to time but then I think it went down? Anyway I was out of the loop for a couple of years. Good to see you're still around, and bitter, angry asshole or not :P you do excellent work and its definitely appreciated!

esteban

Quote from: NightWolve on 01/22/2012, 07:55 PMSuffice to say, I hate Ys F.A.N.s (Freeloading. Asshole. Nerds.) with a passion!!! =) You would think, intuitively, that if you do great work, are helpful, professional/courteous, that you'll be rewarded in kind, but that is not the reality so I ended that approach back in '07 with the Felghana leak - After that, there was no point to remain civil, I get to tell the assholes exactly what they are and what I think of 'em... Fair enough tradeoff. That reminds me, I think I also wanna make a general advice article to fan translation teams. Warnings about this (don't expect much donations, if ever, assuming you care) and about how to be careful with the openness in your software, teammates, etc. should something like XSEED come along; you must never trust anyone, not even the person next to you no matter how many years you might've worked with him/her. Getting fucked over is the default. I've gotten excised from crediting plenty of times, by regular assholes, nevermind a professional videogame publisher.
/end rant
Ha! Although I wish you never had to go through any of this garbage in the first place, I certainly enjoy reading your rants. They are passionate (I mean this in a good way). :)

Anyway, what are you doing these days? What captures your interest and time?

Back on topic: has anyone made a video of the final product for folks like me? I'm very curious to see how it turned out! Thanks in advance  IMG
IMGIMG IMG  |  IMG  |  IMG IMG

Shrapnoid

I agree with Nightwolve about being careful *who* you work with on things like this. I wouldn't want to see this turn out like the old Megaman Vengeance project that DES worked so hard on that someone leaked just because of some hard feelings or because someone thought that it would okay to let somebody take a peek.
You can never be *too* careful.

As for finding someone to help out with your translation situation. Someone does spring to mind but, his old website is gone, I haven't seen him around in years and I honestly don't know what he's doing now but, I did manage to find what appears to be two different e-mail address if anyone wants to try contacting him.

I don't know how much Japanese he may know or be able to speak if any but, I remember that long ago he claimed to be a foreign exchange student, living in Japan and he *loves* everything PC-Engine so, there may be a slim chance at least provided anyone can get in touch with him.

Here are the E-Mails I found...

kazekiri@j-fan.com

jrchmi...@vax1.bemidji.msus.edu

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: Shrapnoid on 01/24/2012, 04:20 PMAs for finding someone to help out with your translation situation.
I don't think I'm going need a new translation. I'll see how things fly with just making minor modifications to the script when need be.
*minor update*
As for Justus Johnston he still hasn't replied to any of my attempts at contacting him. Either he's just ignoring me or he's dead...
I will probably just have to start from scratch (excluding the dub kit and ParanoiaDragon's tracks). Hoping to start some auditions soon (crossing my fingers for sometime in February) so everyone get your voices ready :wink:

I'll leave you with this clip that basically sums up how I felt when trying to get in contact with Justus.

Bernie

Yeah, he never responded to my message to him either man.  Sorry, least we tried.  :)

Burnt Lasagna

Just thought I should mention that I will be putting this project on the back burning till I find out what's going on with this project...
http://forums.magicengine.com/en/viewtopic.php?t=2742&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0&sid=0a36481dd5a4f9cabbf542e0782d60b8
Originally I thought he was full of crap, now I'm not so sure. Either way I'm going to wait a bit to see what becomes of it. I don't want to organize a large group of people only to find out half way through that someone else beat me to the punch.

Burnt Lasagna

Just got word from ParanoiaDragon that NightWolve got in contact with Justus Johnson! :D
I sent Justus an Email last night and I'm waiting on a reply.

I'm going to try to get stuff moving again with this project and I will begin by getting things ready and organizing for auditions.
Now I hate just saying "Yup, maybe stuff will happen, get stoked!" so I'm going to leave you guys with this in the mean time...
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/47184537/ys4dubpatch.zip

This is a quick and dirty patch that will dub the game to the point when Karna gets you out of jail. 
I was originally planning on releasing a complete version of this patch on April fool's day but I got side tracked and never finished it :roll:

INSTRUCTIONS
Apply the ppf patch to track02 and swap the new redbook tracks manually  (rename if need be).

NOTE
I hardly did any testing with this patch, so it may burst into flames!

Arjak

OMG! Awesome! *Downloads*

When you're ready for auditions, let me know. I'd love to try out for a part! I do have experience; I play Nuse in SamIAm's upcoming Legend of Xanadu 2 translation patch.

EDIT: Doh! I've been April fooled!
He who dings the Gunhed must PAAAAY!!! -Ninja Spirit

Burnt Lasagna

Quote from: Arjak on 04/04/2012, 11:36 AMEDIT: Doh! I've been April fooled!
Well, yeah. I even said it was, though it is dubbed  :)
I believe I left in Lilias voice that ParanoiaDragon's wife did and one line that ParanoiaDragon him self did for Flair though.