RIP to BT Garner of MindRec.com... He passed away early 2023 from health problems. BT was one of the top PCE homebrew developers and founder of the OG Turbo List, then PCECP.com. Condolences to family and friends.
IMG
IMG
Main Menu

pce duo adapter

Started by dead_man94, 01/21/2010, 01:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dead_man94

hi guys,

just got a pce duo in the mail today,
and it didn't have the right adapter with it :-s
do you guys think this will work ok?
if not, what are the specks so I can get a suitable adapter?

/adapter.jpg

Turbo D

Your adapter should work fine if the connector fits. The TurboDuo ac adapter outputs DC10v and 1000mA. It is also center positive, like the one you possess. It does not matter that your ac adapter outputs a higher amperage as the console will only draw out as much as it needs. Regarding your ac adapter being  DC9v instead of DC10v, you should not see a performance loss as ac adapters tend to output slightly higher voltages than they are rated at. The one thing that anyone should always be careful with when using aftermarket ac adapters, is polarity. Using an ac adapter that is center negative in a device that requires center positive will fry said device. An example of the afforementioned frying can be witnessed when using a NES ac adapter on a Famicom. I'll enclose a polarity chart for anyone looking to use any aftermarket ac adapters with their electronic devices.

IMG
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG

dead_man94

hey thanx for the info ma'man!
one question though, are the load times
suppose to be long on the duo's?
before a screen will load you'll hear some clicks,
then a pause, then it'll load.

Quote from: turbo D on 01/21/2010, 03:25 AMYour adapter should work fine if the connector fits. The TurboDuo ac adapter outputs DC10v and 1000mA. It is also center positive, like the one you possess. It does not matter that your ac adapter outputs a higher amperage as the console will only draw out as much as it needs. Regarding your ac adapter being  DC9v instead of DC10v, you should not see a performance loss as ac adapters tend to output slightly higher voltages than they are rated at. The one thing that anyone should always be careful with when using aftermarket ac adapters, is polarity. Using an ac adapter that is center negative in a device that requires center positive will fry said device. An example of the afforementioned frying can be witnessed when using a NES ac adapter on a Famicom. I'll enclose a polarity chart for anyone looking to use any aftermarket ac adapters with their electronic devices.

IMG

Turbo D

Most games do not take very long to load, but it depends on the game as some do take long. If you are using cd-r copies of games, then the situation you described sounds normal; I've experienced the same when using cd-rs. If the problem persists with pressed discs, then maybe the laser is on its way out. If it does eventually go out, it is an easy fix. Replacement lasers run around US $20-25 and are a plug-n-play swap. But I wouldn't bother replacing it unless it quit reading discs all together. Also, if it quits reading discs due to the laser getting stuck to one side (only happened to me when using cd-rs), just gently unlodge it and it should work fine.
Quote from: MissaFX on 01/06/2008, 12:10 PMMy idea of gaming is a couple of friends over, a couple of drinks, a couple of medical-handrolled-game-enhancing-cigs and a glowing box you all worship.
IMG IMG
IMG